Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Want to do a normal run in preparation for the fiesta, anyone got recs for a good GBA emulator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Oh lord, don't do this to yourself. :ohdear: FF3 isn't balanced like FF5 is; it's more like FFX-2 where the mindset is to hotswap jobs into what you need for a situation. No matter what you pull (unless it's "Sage and Ninja, all day erryday"), you're going to get stonewalled.

Seconding that this is a bad+dumb idea. Unless you're willing to do hours of grinding you're not gonna make it far.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lovely Senorita posted:

oh god what is Faris wearing :stonk:

She just got back from a convention and didn't have time to switch out of her Zarok cosplay.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Oh, I see. So I'm better off with either #regrand750 or #regchaos750? I'm having trouble figuring out what the effective difference is between those two setups.

With random you can get any of the jobs of the crystals you've already reached, with no duplicates possible. So at the wind crystal you can get any of the wind crystal jobs, at the water crystal you can get any of the wind or water crystal jobs, etc.

With chaos you can get any of the jobs at any time, with duplicates allowed. But it orders them such that jobs from earlier crystal will be available first, so if you get a wind and three fire jobs, the wind one will be the first you get. This doesn't matter as much if you're using the GBA patch that unlocks all jobs from the beginning.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You think I spent six centuries just munching on pizza?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hmm, wondering if I should change my run from chaos risk to 750 chaos risk just to make things a bit more palatable. If I wanted to do that I just need to retweet Gilgabot with the command for that yeah?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I was under the impression Chaos ordered jobs to give you the earliest available first? Because I got Zerk/Zerk/Geo/Time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Someone confirm that I'm thinking correctly. For Upgrade it's 4 of your wind crystal, then 4 of your water, etc etc right?

Yes, but you can choose when you upgrade.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

What rods should I have stocked up for World 2?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I just did it inside the ship. I think I cleared Liquid at level...16? Maybe 20.

I did it at ~16. Granted, it required like 5 attempts but with fast forward that's not so bad.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I was a dummy and forgot to bring Reflect Rings for tree-man. Thankfully Fire Shield and some luck saved the day.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Another Tot to the pile

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

Hopefully you're going for a triple crown with that selection? You've got Time Mage, after all, even if quickleaking takes a while.

Also, gently caress grinding for Reflect Rings is tedious and I don't know how I forgot about it.

Already taken care of.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

But seriously, I can't stress enough how handy Vampire is as a blue magic. If you're fighting someone who hits harder than you do, you can just turn around and use their own damage back at them as long as they're drain-able. (I suppose that's the one case where ???? is more useful, but not by much).

This is actually due to a glitch. In the Advance version only, Vampire drains for the full amount when it's only supposed to do 1/2, resulting in it being super good and ???? being mostly worthless.

quote:

Question: Do you think I should quicksavescum the Walse Basement, or just wait until I get Level 5 Death from the library to fight the Jackanapes with?

I always quickscum it. A useful edge on Garula is nothing else.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Ugh. I go on vacation for a week tomorrow and I'm struggling to find a free android gba emulator that is accepting my mGBA save state. Either I'm doing something wrong copy and pasting the files, or it just doesn't work with others well...any help would be appreciated...

Save states tend to be highly specific so those are unlikely to transfer. Actual save game files can, potentially, if it's the same format.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Am I missing some gimmick on the soul cannon or does this boss require more grinding than I'm willing to do? Fucker has upwards of 50,000 hp.

But yeah, if you can't do enough damage to take it out before it/shortly after it does the first Wave Cannon then you need to grind. Not necessarily for levels, but gil for Angel Rings which prevent Old. If you're not Olded by the Wave Cannon and can otherwise survive it, and then you can win the war of attrition.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Is there a list of all steals anywhere? The goon doc has the most worthwhile ones, but I'd like a complete list to refer to if possible.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I have a bit of an odd question. For my second run I feel like playing the SNES version, but for w/e reason Snes9X fails to recognize inputs from my DS4, both as is and emulating a 360 controller with DS4Windows. It'll take inputs in the input mapping menu, but not the game itself. The exact same behavior also occurs with Higan. But the controller works just fine on VBA-M. So I got no idea what's wrong or what I could possible do to fix it. I'm hoping someone here might have come across this problem at some point.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

Try using a different emulator, perhaps? Snes9x is a relatively old piece of software at this point, and since its most recent release there have been quite a few good SNES emulators that are in various ways better.

My personal preference is for Lsnes, since that's designed as one of the console-accurate pieces of software and thus won't have the occasional bug resulting from focusing on speed in the early days. (Back when Smite was running the DKC2 race thread, it was pointed out that ZSNES had a bug relating to rotating barrels, hence the switch.)

Well Lsnes seems to be working fine. Weird :shrug:

Thanks, and I'm glad to have knowledge of other emulators. Just doing a google for SNES emulators continues to just bring up Snes9X and Zsnes so finding out about them is a bit of a pain.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

Alright run 3!

Ranger
Dancer
Chemist
Bard

Tri-crown hats are quite stylish.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Edward_Tohr posted:

Fuckdamn dumbass berserkers. This run could be over if they'd stop aiming for the parts of NED that don't loving exist. :argh:

Your fault for not playing the correct version.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BrightWing posted:

My hubris shall be my undoing. In my excitement of completing my first run, I seem to have signed up for a Random 750 run. Let's see how bad-

Blue Mage

Oh. Well alright then.

It's pretty much impossible to go wrong with any type of 750 run.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I guess I shouldn't have underestimated Gilgabot. He always finds a way...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

InfernoBlade posted:

I rolled BM/Thief/Bard/Beastmaster on my 2nd run. I think I'm going to JF the Bard out as I already played a run with one. Any thoughts on what to replace him with (all jobs up to fire crystal ok)? Healing might be nice so WHM would be tempting, but OTOH Ninja might be fun to allow the thief to dual-wield assassin dagger + chicken knife.

Leave it up to Gilgabot to decide imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

I believe what's going on is not that the Movers heal, but that the three in a left-facing triangle become hidden in favor of three in a right-facing triangle becoming unhidden (or vice-versa). See, a bunch of monsters use the Unhide Monster command to pull some interesting behind-the-scenes tricks. Any time you see a monster change form, summon stuff, or just regenerate a target without using a named ability like Arise; that's the result of Unhide Monster. The problem is that the command itself is not well-documented; the original game's algorithm FAQ doesn't distinguish between any of these, and the GBA's corresponding FAQ doesn't always distinguish between different uses of the command at once. But the long and short of it I've been able to find is that:
  • All uses of Unhide Monster will do literally that, unhide a monster to be placed somewhere on the field. Once all nonhidden monsters are defeated, the party wins. (This is why killing Zephyrus alone will trigger victory, because any remaining monsters are hidden.)
  • Unhide Monster (Change Monster) will unhide a monster on the field, and explicitly regenerate it to full health even if it's dead. When a monster is regenerated without a named ability or just plain summoned, it's likely using this command.
  • Unhide Monster (Form Change) will swap a monster's form, while explicitly not regenerating any health (edit: or removing any status effects) unless the target was dead, in which case it's instead restored to full health. This is what gets used for most obvious form changes, but is also used to swap AI and/or stats. Oh, and the Great Trench boss fight uses this.
  • Unhide Monster (Random) is a subclassification of Form Change, specifically to allow a swap to a random form rather than to a fixed one.
My guess would be that, given that Alxprit has been able to consistently kill groups of Movers, that the Movers themselves use a variant of Unhide Monster similar to Form Change which instead reveals distinct monsters. According to the encounter tables, that fight isn't against three Movers, but instead six (three of which are hidden at a time). Thus if you're able to kill a whole group of three at once, they won't get a chance to trigger Unhide Monster to hide themselves and reveal/revive from death the other group.

I love how well-documented this game's mechanics are to the point that conjecture like this can exist.

• Locked thread