Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.

New Legends is a beat-em-up that came out in the first years of the original Xbox, and it's likely you've never seen it before. This game was not well-received! The graphics are lackluster even for the time, and so is the sound design. Even so, I still enjoy running through it. The combat is simple fun and the AI and gameplay itself can be wonky as hell, much to my enjoyment.

As is the genre standard, we will be fighting leagues of enemies at any given time. Plotwise, there is a revenge story as well as a bizarre attempt to meld science and fantasy together. Modern technology is blended into ancient warfare in a very jarring way that makes it hard to figure out what's happening. Sometimes we'll be fighting guys with swords in an environment that says 15th century China, and then tanks just come rolling up. Demon children with super powers and magical swords exist, but so do rocket launchers.

Controls: They work well enough, and the combos are varied and weapon-specific (though I usually opt for ones that let me loop attacks indefinitely). There's a fair amount of variety in the weaponry too, but ultimately the combat is not very complex. As long as you are not on the floor, you can instantly parry and disrupt most enemies. If they start blocking, you stop hitting them or use power attacks, lest you get parried back. The camera is controlled by the 2nd analog stick but it goes crazy sometimes, especially indoors.

Madithen and TieTuesday join me for this LP! Neither of them have seen any of this. We recorded the whole game in 2 days so I'll keep those updates comin' fast!

Episodes:

Smite fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
In the grim darkness of the future, they wear coconuts as shoes.

pattybs
May 14, 2013
I thought "ninja running" couldn't look more hilarious. Then I saw ninja running with a sword and a gun. Thank you New Legends!

timetrippad
Mar 31, 2010
I don't remember this Tomb Raider spin-off.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
This is one of those games I rented multiple times when I was younger. The active portraits is something I remember the most; they get especially silly with the movesets of some weapons.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I loving lost it when Tao's portrait started dancing around at 8:12

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)
The sword trails from when you're attacking combined with the attack animations makes it look like everyone's ribbon dancing.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
Do the demon kids get explained at any point, or is it just some Genghis Khan esque "Oh he hosed whatever was around" type things?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

December Octopodes posted:

Do the demon kids get explained at any point, or is it just some Genghis Khan esque "Oh he hosed whatever was around" type things?

Life Finds A Way

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

I'm sad I missed out on getting to join the video as this game looks fuckin' weird.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

#2 - Some Kind of Siege

Here's an official background of Sun Soo at a marvelous 1024x768 resolution, because I know you all wanted that poo poo to print out and hang on your wall!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:v:

Kinda weird one, but it's nice to see a Chinese setting, there's not enough of those.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

I see the Secret of the Tiger Claw is that Sun Soo now knows to become Vega.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Catsworth posted:

I'm sad I missed out on getting to join the video as this game looks fuckin' weird.

Maybe next time, Catsworth! Bloodwake is still on my agenda.

:gonk:

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

game

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This game seems decidedly bad.

How long is it?

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

This game seems decidedly bad.

How long is it?

Not too long. My footage added up to a bit over 5 hours.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Breakin' out!

#3 - Some Kind of Prison Break

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

i love boo and i hope he is able to succeed on his quest of defeating china which is a cool fight i have made fanart of!

Tyndolionel
Oct 18, 2004
Ghost Fog Sabre Deluxe!
This has been pretty funny so far. Man, those menus! Going by the sound effects, there's more action in pausing and trying to find your weapon combos than in the actual game! You could dub your own kung-fu movie just moving the d-pad around.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

#4 - Some Kind of Mountain Pass

------------------

Here's an official boo poster for you to put on your fridge:

what a handsome devil

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Has anybody else already given up on trying to follow the plot?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
I mean, it's a really basic riches-to-rags-to-revenge story, so

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

tlarn posted:

I mean, it's a really basic riches-to-rags-to-revenge story, so

in the year 2400!

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
That loving wall holy poo poo. It just gumby slides on outta there my god.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
There's a plot?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I've figured out what's been bothering me about this game's entire... aesthetic. It feels like the logical progression of what N64 titles would look like if the system had slightly more texture memory, ran steadily at 480i, and used CDs for voice audio instead of having to compress the poo poo out of them onto cartridges.

Halo, Project Gotham Racing, Amped, and DOA3 were released three months earlier, and all of them are immensely more visually impressive than New Legends. It's kind of astonishing, really.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

#5 - Some Kind of Factory

Have some Boonanas

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Incoming transmission from Boo. Looks important.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

#6 - Some Kind of Dragon Trap

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Smite told me to post in this thread if I'm watching this LP so here is me posting in this thread since I'm watching this LP.

EDIT: but this game is pretty drat dumb. God that AI for helping with the trap.

D_W fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 10, 2016

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I pretty much skipped the original xbox and everything on it, outside of a few notable games like Halo. This game certainly looks terrible and bland to play, with a few goofy odd design choices like the camera portrait thing.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nighthand posted:

I pretty much skipped the original xbox and everything on it, outside of a few notable games like Halo. This game certainly looks terrible and bland to play, with a few goofy odd design choices like the camera portrait thing.

Did the Xbox original really even have that many good games?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Not really, no. Most of the decent games on the system were either late enough they were basically early 360 games, or weren't console exclusive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nighthand posted:

Not really, no. Most of the decent games on the system were either late enough they were basically early 360 games, or weren't console exclusive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games

Scrolling through the list of exclusives, the only one that really stood out to me was Metal Wolf Chaos.

Which, honestly, is more than enough to justify the console's existence.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Can someone post a big ol screen shot of that dragon's face? Its horrifying.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

I have a lot of old Xbox games. Most of them are okay I guess. I really liked Fuzion Frenzy, which was basically Mario Party with some real nice mini-games for 4 players. Brute Force is another decent game that supported 4 players and that was appealing at the time. There were a few other ones, and a lot of forgettable junk. And then there's the exclusive New Legends which is responsible for selling 8 million Xboxes worldwide.

Talking about level design, what they tried to do here with the dragon and didn't quite pull off is more appealing to me than a lot of the other stages, where I'm just running from swarms of guys, or worse, being forced to fight them. The mountain level we're in now is passable only because the AI (AND TOPO) keep falling off.

Smite fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 10, 2016

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Smite posted:

I have a lot of old Xbox games. Most of them are okay I guess. I really liked Fuzion Frenzy, which was basically Mario Party with some real nice mini-games for 4 players. Brute Force is another decent game that supported 4 players and that was appealing at the time. There were a few other ones, and a lot of forgettable junk. And then there's the exclusive New Legends which is responsible for selling 8 million Xboxes worldwide.

Talking about level design, what they tried to do here with the dragon and didn't quite pull off is more appealing to me than a lot of the other stages, where I'm just running from swarms of guys, or worse, being forced to fight them. The mountain level we're in now is passable only because the AI (AND TOPO) keep falling off.

You can't just mention that and not talk about the beautiful character design,

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

ishikabibble posted:

This isn't the overwatch thread though

The main xbox exclusive I remember (and have on a shelf next to me) is Azurik. I can't remember if it was garbage or not, it's been so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akogare Zephyr
Apr 29, 2013

ishikabibble posted:

For a second, I thought that was a Jet Set/Grind Radio game, but it's not. I've never even heard of this game, but that looks like quite the diverse cast.

I hardly know anything about Xbox games in general, but between what's been mentioned and New Legend, it doesn't seem like I missed out on much. Still pretty funny to watch.

Edit: I decided to play around with the lion. I thought I'd just use my non-dominant hand and see how that goes because the game put just as much effort. Thought it would be fun. Then I figured it shouldn't be too painful for me to quickly doodle up the silly image with my right hand while touching it up just a teensy bit. But then something crept up inside me and I did an old meme with it. I'm sorry.

(Left hand)

(Right hand)

(I'm so sorry)

Akogare Zephyr fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 10, 2016

• Locked thread