Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Three Olives posted:

It depends, there are cards like Amex Serve and Chase Liquid which are more for the the unbanked, they are are a little more strict about who they issue them to but they are cheap and have things like online bill pay and mobile deposit. Then there are cards like Simple which are more cash management solutions for people that already have bank accounts. Finally there are cards like Rush Card that got into these same kinds of problems and Greendot which are for the terminally stupid because they they fall for marketing or can't pass a credit check and they need to get cash into the card where you load money through things like MoneyGrams or buying reload cards with cash at 7-11. There are other similar ones and they are basically a giant scam, fees for everything, fee for making too many transactions, fees for checking the balance, fees for a declined transaction, fees for loading money, it was really outrageous.

I have an Amex Serve card because they literally gave me over $200 bucks to get one because the cell carriers wanted to launch their pay by phone service but couldn't make any bank deals so if you got a Serve card they would load free money onto it and then pay you $1 every time you used tap and pay. I also have a Simple card because when they discontinued Google Wallet they gave anyone that opened a Simple card $20 and I like free money. Simple looks like an interesting money management card but I haven't messed with it because I am happy with my current bank/credit accounts.

My wife and I were looking for an alternative since they are discontinuing GOogle Wallet. Does Serve have any fees associated with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Serious Frolicking posted:

hilary clinton served on walmart's board of directors for 6 years. that is really all you need to say about her.

When Sam was alive.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Jastiger posted:

When Sam was alive.

God bless

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

I briefly worked for a company that wanted to pay me via a card (I think it was green dot, perhaps) rather than depositing my pay into my checking account.
Like, they really pushed it. Someone at regional called while my paperwork was finishing up to try and talk me into going the way of having my pay put on a prepaid visa rather than have it put in my account. It made no loving sense at the time and it makes no loving sense now as to why they were pressing for it so hard.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

tokomon posted:

I briefly worked for a company that wanted to pay me via a card (I think it was green dot, perhaps) rather than depositing my pay into my checking account.
Like, they really pushed it. Someone at regional called while my paperwork was finishing up to try and talk me into going the way of having my pay put on a prepaid visa rather than have it put in my account. It made no loving sense at the time and it makes no loving sense now as to why they were pressing for it so hard.

every time they pay you they get paid. it's a win win, except for you of course who will be shafted out of 10%+ of your pay in a poo poo load of fees

win win win

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's probably Dare hacking the site to steal cards in order to buy SA accounts.

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

kazr posted:

every time they pay you they get paid. it's a win win, except for you of course who will be shafted out of 10%+ of your pay in a poo poo load of fees

win win win

I should have figured as much.
At the time I was annoyed and just wanted to get my 3 hours of "training" done so I could go home and scrub the shame off in the shower.

You can never scrub the shame off.

Dads Dip Cup
Aug 13, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jastiger posted:

When Sam was alive.

that's Mr. Sam, show some gotdamn respect

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

i knew that would come in handy some day