Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Welcome to the Fire Emblem Fates European discussion thread!

Fire Emblem Fates is the Sequel to the astoundingly popular Fire Emblem Awakening. After the great success of Awakening, a game that was intended to be the last in the series, Nintendo have gone hog wild on the franchise, releasing three whole games for the unwashed masses.

Fire Emblem Fates is made of three seperate games, Birthright, Conquest and Revelations. Birthright and Conquest release on May 20th 2016 in European territories and Revelations releases on June 9th 2016

Note, these are three FULL games, not some Pokemon Red/Blue poo poo. When you purchase one of Revelations or Conquest (RRP £32, €40), after a certain chapter in the game you get the option to buy the other at half price through the Eshop. Revelations will also be released at half price through the Eshop.

There is a spoiler policy in this thread. If at all possible could you please use spoilers when discussing plot events in the game or missions. Ideally you should mention the chapter where these occur as well so: Spoiler for the Prologue There is an Avatar character in this game

Q&A

Q. Aren't there two other Fire Emblem threads?

A. Yes, one is for the games in general and one is the American thread. As America got the games first I imagine that they want to be fairly free with their discussion by now, plus there's no real spoiler policy in that thread. Ideally I want this thread to be a bunch of goons being able to explore the game with each other without every single mechanic being spoiled ahead of time.

Q. No but seriously aren't there two other Fire Emblem threads?

A. Yes, and I imagine that once Europe has caught up to the U.S. this thread will die and we'll only have two threads again.

Q. Which version should I buy?

A. All of them, they're seperate games with different challenges (which I'll go into in a second). The total cost lands at around £64, €80 for around a hundred hours of gameplay with no obligation to buy any of the other games if you don't like the first that you play. There's also a European special edition, but I imagine anyone who wants that doesn't need to be reminded of it by this thread.

Q. Okay, but which version should I play first?

A. It depends. Birthright is framed as the easier of the two games, allowing you to freely grind as you did in Awakening. Conquest is framed as the harder as you can't grind and there are more mission specific objectives. Pick whichever one takes your fancy. If you're desperate for a recommendation from me though, then I'll be playing Birthright Hard mode first to get a handle on the game's new mechanics and then Conquest on Lunatic once I'm comfortable for a real challenge.

Q. So you've told me how the games are different from each other but how are they different from Awakening?

A. Oh man. There's a bunch of different things.

Pair up has been nerfed so it's not the godlike end all ability it once was.

Skills are more unique to characters, with most characters having a 'character skill' that can often make or break their classes.

Weapons don't break any more.

Certain nobly born characters get special abilities that allow them to affect terrain on the map for sneaky advantages.

The weapon triangle has been reworked, bringing in bows and tomes alongside the new shuriken weapon. This means that you no longer have godlike untouchable mages killing everything for the entire game.

Amiibo support, so you can use your Fire Emblem Amiibos to fight against/with their characters.

Q. Why is this worse than/a copy of the American thread.

A. Because our translation will be too. Also because I did this in the office at 11:50 in the evening.

That's about it really, I'll update the OP if people are unclear on anything/want hilarious memes added and update on the release dates of the DLC in a couple of days. Until then, fire away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Actually you should just get Conquest.

• Locked thread