Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I think all of them felt the US government and its spokesmen were all arrogant, racist, hypocritical, self-righteous, and power hungry.....

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so the conclusion i am drawing from this thread is that everyone should die, but white people should die painfully.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
nuke the world

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Serious Frolicking posted:

so the conclusion i am drawing from this thread is that everyone should die, but white people should die painfully.

amen

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

wow this thread got really good and a lot of you morons should do less typ[ing and more reading. you might learn something

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I say 9/11 was bad and I don't like it and I wish Bush hadn't done 9/11

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
If you think politics is a battle of good people vs. bad people then you are a retarded childlike simpleton

Pretty much the only time it's been "good vs evil" was WWII, and even then it really wasn't, because while Hitler was the worst, Stalin was also a totally loving terrible mass murderer who happened to be on our side at the time. Also Winston Churchill was a racist raging alcoholic rear end in a top hat

Here's a shocker: everyone is loving terrible and America has done lots of terrible poo poo but so has everyone else. Also America has done terrible poo poo, using that as an excuse to support literal terrorists makes you the shittiest of the poo poo pile

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
Smash the reds imho

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oldpainless posted:

I believe the atomic bombs ultimately saved more lives than the deaths caused but I don't take any pleasure in the fact they were dropped. And the Potsdam declaration did give Japan warning of what was going to happen. And while I dont dispute the fact the bombs were probably a display of power as much as a useful tool i understand after Pearl Harbor many Americans wanted to destroy Japan and the U.S. government probsbly felt using the nukes was the most politically viable option as well as a way to try to bring the war to a close as quickly as possible.

if you actually think this is remotely true :stare:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
When you are comparing 9/11 to the nuking of Japan, you seriously need to take a long hard look at your beliefs and think about how you turned into such a clown. And the answer is probably spending too much time in far left echo chambers.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Even if nuking Japan was 'just a warning to the russians', then it clearly worked because we never had a soviet invasion of western europe or a nuclear holocaust. Millions, potentially billions of lives were saved

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

paul_soccer10 posted:

if you actually think this is remotely true :stare:

What parts do you disagree with?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah, it was most likely not 'a warning to the russians', that assumes that the thawing of relations and rivalry that deveoped between the US and the Soviet Union from something like 1948 onwards existed in WW2, which it didn't and relations were actually quite good betwenn the Americans the Russians, though the same can't quite be said for Britain and Churchill which was more opposed towards it.

They had the bombs and likely figured they should use them in order to put further pressure on the Japanese to surrender unconditionally, neither the US or Britain or any warring power had balked much at using any kind of terrible weapon during area bombing in WW2 (with the exception that chemical warfare had largely disappeared), most Japanese cities were destroyed by firebombing raids starting in late 1944. Come August and Germany had been out of the war since May and very few people, soldiers and civilians, were very keen on the war lasting much longer, so when the bombs were ready they were used, as that's likely what the decision makers thought of "how can we end this really expensive war that people feel should have been over since May? And we won't accept anything but unconditional surrender". Combined with the ongoing bombing campaign against Japanese cities and the Soviet invasion of Manchuria which destroyed the Kwantung army and what little on-paper strength remained of the Japanese Army, that was what ended the war.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Even if nuking Japan was 'just a warning to the russians', then it clearly worked because we never had a soviet invasion of western europe or a nuclear holocaust. Millions, potentially billions of lives were saved

lmfao

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
there are multiple levels of being retarded about historical events.

it's probably best to recognize that events that change the course of history are almost beyond the ability to compartmentalize as good or evil because the world where they didn't happen would be so different from this one.

for some, you can at least evaluate the major direct outcomes as being good or bad. 9/11 was good for nobody except a bunch of corporations and politicians. the middle east got hosed up, the us got hosed up, and it's hard to point at anything that came of it and say "yeah, this was okay". i mean, bruce springsteen released another album at least, but it wasn't great, and a bunch of lovely country artists went whole hog and made a lot of money off retards.

the nuking of japan may have prevented an invasion which would've cost millions of american lives and tens of millions of japanese lives. a great deal exists today that wouldn't in a world where the invasion had gone forward. hell, we're still using the purple heart medals made for that invasion for soldiers wounded in current conflicts, and probably will basically forever. on the other hand, hundreds of innocent civilians were killed or crippled, radiation probably poisoned even more, and it ended the small chance the world had at saying "these weapons are really bad and maybe should be verboten". of course, without nukes we might've had another world war or two. who the gently caress knows where the world would've ended up without the nuking of japan. maybe they'd still be cool rather than making GBS threads everything up with anime.

of course, if you're a complete dumb poo poo, you can just say "my side did it therefore good" and "their side did it therefore bad" and support yourself by cherry picking the outcomes of thing that support your argument while ignoring everything else. anyone who does this can be safely dismissed as worthless. ironically, while historical events can rarely be neatly described as good or bad, when an idiot ideologue like this gets any sort of power, it's almost always bad.

anyways, people have been arguing over poo poo they don't understand and never will since forever, and only stop when something new happens they can argue over. then 50-100 years later some weird historian that still gives a gently caress writes a book that neatly ties everything up and everyone is like "sure, meh, whatever' and thus it is solved.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lets demonstrate that we have no qualms over annihilating thousands and thousands of civilians this will surely make the world a safer place and won't spur other countries to pursue the only rational course of national defense against a rogue state that only cares about itself which is building up their own nuclear arsenals as a deterrent

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
more nukes = safer than

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
:smugdon:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Adventure Pigeon posted:

there are multiple levels of being retarded about historical events.

it's probably best to recognize that events that change the course of history are almost beyond the ability to compartmentalize as good or evil because the world where they didn't happen would be so different from this one.

for some, you can at least evaluate the major direct outcomes as being good or bad. 9/11 was good for nobody except a bunch of corporations and politicians. the middle east got hosed up, the us got hosed up, and it's hard to point at anything that came of it and say "yeah, this was okay". i mean, bruce springsteen released another album at least, but it wasn't great, and a bunch of lovely country artists went whole hog and made a lot of money off retards.

the nuking of japan may have prevented an invasion which would've cost millions of american lives and tens of millions of japanese lives. a great deal exists today that wouldn't in a world where the invasion had gone forward. hell, we're still using the purple heart medals made for that invasion for soldiers wounded in current conflicts, and probably will basically forever. on the other hand, hundreds of innocent civilians were killed or crippled, radiation probably poisoned even more, and it ended the small chance the world had at saying "these weapons are really bad and maybe should be verboten". of course, without nukes we might've had another world war or two. who the gently caress knows where the world would've ended up without the nuking of japan. maybe they'd still be cool rather than making GBS threads everything up with anime.

of course, if you're a complete dumb poo poo, you can just say "my side did it therefore good" and "their side did it therefore bad" and support yourself by cherry picking the outcomes of thing that support your argument while ignoring everything else. anyone who does this can be safely dismissed as worthless. ironically, while historical events can rarely be neatly described as good or bad, when an idiot ideologue like this gets any sort of power, it's almost always bad.

anyways, people have been arguing over poo poo they don't understand and never will since forever, and only stop when something new happens they can argue over. then 50-100 years later some weird historian that still gives a gently caress writes a book that neatly ties everything up and everyone is like "sure, meh, whatever' and thus it is solved.

I really want to quote this a million times for truth but people are really loving stupid and see the world as "my side did it therefore good" and "their side did it therefore bad" and probably will for eternity, hence why a lot of these problems exist in the first place and as evidenced by retards in this thread

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

El Boot posted:

japanese activist admires man famous for killing millions of chinese people

sounds about right

drat

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I was just listening to a podcast talking about the Dreyfus Affair. It's pretty funny to think France was still so full of antisemites that they wouldn't put a statue to Dreyfus up in a military academy in 1980.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Some retard had to throw the first nukes around before realizing how dumb they are.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Fojar38 posted:

everyone gets mad at lowtax for ordering the nuking of the "google pays tribute to a civil rights champion" thread but nobody ever gets mad about the firebombing of Hell thread, which was far more destructive

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

paul_soccer10 posted:

more nukes = safer than

its called realpolitik son, wikipedia it

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013

Nooner posted:

what a bitch

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
hey when is ray smuckles coming back i wanna see the meltdown first hand. :(

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Smash it Smash hit posted:

hey when is ray smuckles coming back i wanna see the meltdown first hand. :(

probably too busy telling himself that bernie will beat hillary.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
its nice to know you guys are thinking of me

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Microwaves Mom posted:

probably too busy telling himself that bernie will beat hillary.

PMing him

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
holy poo poo perfect!

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

holy poo poo perfect!

Just like the Don on plane terrorist attack predictions.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Microwaves Mom posted:

the hero we need.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Microwaves Mom posted:

nuh uh didnt you hear, bigot?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
what do you gotta say about that rudy smuckers? hmmm?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

what do you gotta say about that rudy smuckers? hmmm?

what do i have to say about what?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

RaySmuckles posted:

what do i have to say about what?

i dunno i was hoping you would just go off on a tirade like yester day.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i think the japanese lady and google and RaySmuckles supporting islamic terrorism are all bad things

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

RaySmuckles posted:

lol when people hand wave away the half million civilian casualties that resulted from just one of our most recent wars (the illegal one that we launched based on lies, for the record)

"why would they do something so horrible as 9/11!?"

Illegal war?

As if someone (who matters) decides international law?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

i dunno i was hoping you would just go off on a tirade like yester day.

sorry to disappoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Parallax Scroll posted:

i think the japanese lady and google and RaySmuckles supporting islamic terrorism are all bad things

here ray smuckles meltdown !

• Locked thread