Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How does resetting work as far as getting your own moves to generate summon orbs? Is it as simple as, you can just restart the game over and over use the moves until they drop orbs? Or do you have to use your moves in different orders to get a different RNG for yourself?

You can do the same thing over and over with a different result. I just finished reset scumming the poo poo out of that fight, it didn't help me that every time I'd do it after ~50% health on Maxwell the game would crash and reset the fight entirely, but at least now I never need to do it again.

I also missed the LB mission by a round, whoops, still never going back there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Trilin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYISHjsVhkg

Its a bit sketchy at the end, but cunning abuse of Maxwell's threshold skills makes it doable.
Also hot tip: You can buy Holy Torches, your actual healers probably have way better things to do than cast Dispel. (at least mine certainly did)

I like how it picks a "random" Elza friend for the guide, then picks one that loving takes out a third of maxwell's hp in one round. loving wish i had used one of those.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

For us who are stuck with Nox, the macro guy figured out a port tool, so all the cool Memu macros are now available for Nox

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/55f44k/lets_talk_nox_macros/

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Tengames posted:

I like how it picks a "random" Elza friend for the guide, then picks one that loving takes out a third of maxwell's hp in one round. loving wish i had used one of those.

He picks a 643 ATK Elza with Diabolos as the "random friend". Not even Ifrit, Diabolos. To recreate an Elza's ATK value with this, I had to equip the "random friend" as follows:

Demon Scythe
Deathbringer
2x Bracer
Black Cowl
Brave Suit

Dual-Wield, Tablet of Ruin, Equip Large Sword

With the 4th materia slot being a non-ATK materia of some kind. Dual Bracer even seems to check out, because his HP value is ~200 over my own Elza's and I have a total of 25% HP on her while he has 30%.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 20, 2016

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Tengames posted:

It's easy, just grab one of the random rank 100+ Elzas with over 600 atk from your friend list

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I am also shocked that someone who makes a F2P strategy video that opens by acting like an rear end in a top hat to F2P players would use some whale-as-gently caress friend unit in their video.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

My current setup is D Rain(100), BC Lid(80), Arc(80), Ignus(80), Rosa(71).

With Refia and Cecil on the bench called "working on it".

If I manage to somehow max out both Refia and Cecil do I have a shot at Maxwell or this this garbage strictly Whale/Long time player bullshit?

I have given it about 4 honest tries bringing along some goon COD's and I cant even get past turn 4. The guy is seriously full of poo poo. Why did they drop this guy on us when they already said he comes from the second BF event much later into the game. Yet they drop him on us with the first loving horrible BF event. The guy doesn't let you breathe at all. It is just a massive amount of hits and aoe damage non stop. I honestly have seen him cast Genesis on my team 4 times in a single turn and manage to kill someone with every defense buff up. I use defend on him at the turn 4 dispel and he doesn't give a gently caress and just kills nearly everyone. You guys talk about TMRs but the ones I am going for are all offense TMRs and for the life of me have not seen anyone talking about defensive TMRs.

gently caress this event hard. This drat phone game is literally avoiding releasing my favorite characters from the FF games. For what reason are they avoiding the entire rosters of FF7 and FF8? As well as giving us the poo poo characters of other series first over people like Basch, Auron, Minwu and Steiner? Shadow the cool ninja guy with an attack dog is considered one of the literal worst characters in the game. gently caress these loving japan phone games.

This Maxwell fight being dropped on top of this event really is just a kick in the balls for me. I am legit angry with the drat game. :salt:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Beat Maxwell and summoned Diablos. I used VoGoR's insane as gently caress Elza with 664 attack, which burned through Maxwell's HP quick after I got the summon off. I was a tiny sliver of HP away from finishing her off with an LB too, and of course I completely failed at doing it without an ally getting KO'd.

I may go back and try for the other two conditions before the event ends, but right now I'm going back to the Cactuar Dunes, and I'll do a bit of karma grinding for the trust moogle at least, and maybe even the magic materia depending on how many metal gods I run into, I am going to be getting 275% bonus karma if I bring along a friend Elza/Maxwell at this point (I could theoretically get more since I have 3 Tiliths, but eh).

Looks like my "gently caress Omniveil" strategy worked out after all!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I have nothing going on today and will make a new thread unless anyone is already doing so. I'll message the OP and see if he's down with that.

Edit: OP has ok'd a new thread. I'll get to working now.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 20, 2016

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Drinkfist posted:

If I manage to somehow max out both Refia and Cecil do I have a shot at Maxwell or this this garbage strictly Whale/Long time player bullshit?

I've been playing since release, and the only way I could do it involved:
Reset scumming the poo poo out of the fight to ensure maximum esper orb gain
Previously beating the fight and using the trust moogles to finish Dualcast on my grinding Ludmilles to equip it on Refia
A team consisting of CoD (Barrages and omni-veil), Artemios (Barraging and I made the mistake of making him my Diabolos evoker), Refia, WoL to full break and tank, and Kain (I just wanted someone who wouldn't die if they got hit hard, and in retrospect he should've been carrying Diabolos)
Mylan's Elza for her dual wielding (more opportunities to proc esper orbs and then murder Maxwell when it was time)

If you can put together a tighter team than that, you can probably do it too. Cecil in Kain's spot probably would've made it a million times easier, but mine is very far away from his 6* glory still. Also, using the reset scumming I didn't really need Refia to dualcast, but it was very helpful

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
After trying out the Maxwell fight with some less ridiculous friend units, I found that while I could deal with Genesis and her regular attacks (with buffs up, even Endless didn't kill anyone), her turn 4 bullshit was impossible to recover from. So I said gently caress it and scummed the fight, resetting every 2-3 turns to avoid Rune/Sacred Song (I didn't bother trying to maximize esper orbs). I was eventually able to summon Diablos and finish the fight with a limit break! Even though I misjudged Maxwell's remaining HP the first time and had to stall the fight to build up meter again. Anyway, now I'm done with this poo poo, thank god.

For the record, my party was Cecil/Refia/Tilith/Ingus/Artemios, no TMs, with a friend Elza. Artemios was pretty frail and kept dying, and Tilith died a few times even though I gave her a Muscle Belt and 2 HP+15% materia. Ingus was surprisingly sturdy, though.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Beat Maxwell and summoned Diablos. I used VoGoR's insane as gently caress Elza with 664 attack, which burned through Maxwell's HP quick after I got the summon off. I was a tiny sliver of HP away from finishing her off with an LB too, and of course I completely failed at doing it without an ally getting KO'd.

I may go back and try for the other two conditions before the event ends, but right now I'm going back to the Cactuar Dunes, and I'll do a bit of karma grinding for the trust moogle at least, and maybe even the magic materia depending on how many metal gods I run into, I am going to be getting 275% bonus karma if I bring along a friend Elza/Maxwell at this point (I could theoretically get more since I have 3 Tiliths, but eh).

Looks like my "gently caress Omniveil" strategy worked out after all!

You mean your "gently caress omniveil, but also bring a massive whale elza friend" strategy :v:

Real talk, you goons getting salty over Maxwell better buckle down, because while she's tough, she's hardly the worst bullshit thing we're gonna get thrown at us. Gonna be the dead sea in here once ol gilga pays us a visit.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Shark Tower posted:

You mean your "gently caress omniveil, but also bring a massive whale elza friend" strategy :v:

Real talk, you goons getting salty over Maxwell better buckle down, because while she's tough, she's hardly the worst bullshit thing we're gonna get thrown at us. Gonna be the dead sea in here once ol gilga pays us a visit.

Is he limited time?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Dial-a-Dog posted:

I've been playing since release, and the only way I could do it involved:

Ok I am gonna just pass on this whole event and save myself the anger. I am sure there is plently of lapis I could be grabbing in the story missions right now for the upcoming banners I am not pulling on. (I as a f2p dumped everything into that FF3 banner and never got Lunith[About 40 pulls]).

I also like the nice touch they did for the second week arena. The only way to beat the whale teams was status effects and well we cant have that so ban all status effects. Now I am gonna just lazy level my 5 Arcs I got and just bomb someone to take the edge off this event.

Edit: Someone tell me the name of some super cheese Elza goon so I can try to make friends with him and climb on his back like the rest of us are. If none exist then I stand by what I said about skipping this dumb bullshit.

Who the gently caress wants anime Jesus in their party anyway.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 20, 2016

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Edit: ^^ You've made the right decision friend ^^

Dias posted:

Is he limited time?

Cursory googling tells me no, so probably not as many salty goons as Maxwell is inspiring

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I never had to cast dispel with any of my healers, that's why god gave Dracu Lasswell fingersnap!

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Cursory googling tells me no, so probably not as many salty goons as Maxwell is inspiring

Yeah RNG heavy broke rear end bullshit is fine and okay, it's the fact you're under a deadline that makes it a salt shaker

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Is Maxwell easy for the whales that didn't pull a Elza? Or is she some kind of key unit? I brought Fenrir along on my first try and I thought his lightning was as dumb as it gets for whale friend units and he could not put out any damage on the loving guy. That was when I know something was gonna be wrong with this poo poo. :salt:

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I have about 5 free friend slots now and I'll open up more for goons if needed. Currently have Maxwell up for the event, will probably swap to CoD after the event (hopefully with DW).

dangerous.hotdog fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 20, 2016

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Drinkfist posted:

Is Maxwell easy for the whales that didn't pull a Elza? Or is she some kind of key unit? I brought Fenrir along on my first try and I thought his lightning was as dumb as it gets for whale friend units and he could not put out any damage on the loving guy. That was when I know something was gonna be wrong with this poo poo. :salt:
There are alternatives to her I guess, but she's really good at fighting Maxwell since she's got the strongest DEF break in the game, a better version of barrage, and a limit break that does a ton of dark damage. CoD is probably the closest non-whale unit in terms of usefulness in the Maxwell fight

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dias posted:

Is he limited time?

Gilgamesh is a regular trial that will always be up in the vortex. It's 2 or 3 trials away I think.

Dial-a-Dog posted:

There are alternatives to her I guess, but she's really good at fighting Maxwell since she's got the strongest DEF break in the game, a better version of barrage, and a limit break that does a ton of dark damage. CoD is probably the closest non-whale unit in terms of usefulness in the Maxwell fight

CoD's honestly better than Elza for the fight. Full Break gets the job done just fine and CoD has Omni-veil in addition to a dark element single hit attack that you can chain pretty easily. And she has a native 50% light resist meaning she can carry diablos without it being nearly as risky as putting it on someone else like Elza.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Maxwell must've felt bad I didn't manage the LB mission on her stage, my first run using her (and my lovely karl) with a friend Elza we ran into two metal gods

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
As an Elza-haver, I'd say CoD is actually the best DPS to bring to the fight, given Omni-Veil, Mankiller+, and native dark damage. Ideally you'd want Elza also for Ravaging Blow, but if you had to choose similarly powerful units, pick the CoD.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Asmodai_00 posted:

Yeah RNG heavy broke rear end bullshit is fine and okay, it's the fact you're under a deadline that makes it a salt shaker

Gilgamesh isn't so much RNG heavy broke rear end bullshit, as it is really loving hard bullshit. The only real RNG component to the fight, is the three threshold single target Death attacks. For the rest of the fight, his skillset is dependent on what threshold phase he's in + whatever elements you haven't been sealing (you can deny him the use of certain abilities by hitting him with particular elements). So you can sculpt the fight towards what abilities you'd prefer him not use by making sure you hit him with a particular element.

He's still going to kill your rear end though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Okay. I turboground Cecil up to level 100, I can now field: Lightning x2, Cecil, CoD, Agrias.

I can get a Refia up, maybe if I can get 15 Sacred Crystals.

Can I beat Maxwell with the above team, or do I NEED a Refia? If I can, should I try to take an Elza or CoD as my buddy?

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Okay. I turboground Cecil up to level 100, I can now field: Lightning x2, Cecil, CoD, Agrias.

I can get a Refia up, maybe if I can get 15 Sacred Crystals.

Can I beat Maxwell with the above team, or do I NEED a Refia? If I can, should I try to take an Elza or CoD as my buddy?

You'll need a healer if you want to do the Diabolos achievement; I don't think just Cecil can swing it but idk, otherwise that's a way better team than most people have done it with. Lenna works fine imo but you need to beef her up.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Mostly you just need to believe in yourself :unsmith:

It helps if you know who the strongest whales on your friend list are too though

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Got me a Maxwell. Just hit up my uncle from Nintendo and he told me to hold down-B and nabbed her! :v:

Party was:
- 6* CoD, Lunar Pestle and geared to max attack and had my lone HP+10% materia. I had her on Diablos for all the man killers and she already has light resistance. Omni-viel, barrage, and that dark attack duty.
- 6* Cecil with Golem. Basic "plz don't die" setup but I ran out of farplane souls filling in other DEF+10%s so Cecil only had one. His job was curaja and provoke tanking.
- 5* Lenna with Siren. Specced out also to "plz don't die". Green Beret, Muscle Belts, and DEF+10%s. I also had a Main Gauche in the oven but I got impatient first. She was on Cheer and healing.
- 5* Rydia with Ramuh, meant to swap to Ifrit first for extra HP and DEF but I forgot. Same setup as Lenna but Brigadine and one less DEF+10% because Gumi hates Rydia. Her job was to not die until I got her limit
- 5* Ignus as full breaker with Shiva. I wiped twice earlier because I forgot to reapply it :saddowns:. Make sure Full Break is up, Imperial, make sure Full Break stays up, and throw an item if needed.

And special guest star a goon's super CoD Xtreme edition with dual wield and two rising suns! Her damage output was insane and help tons.

It took a bit of save scumming to get crystals to Rydia and esper orbs (I used a hyper but either Rydia got poo poo for limit or jumped to 80%) and to get a Maxwell attack that just wasn't a giant gently caress off storm of Genesis. Rydia got her limit off, I got to summon Diabolos, she never Runed and ruined my day, Endless only tore Rydia apart and everybody else lived, and CoD's dark attack took out Maxwell the turn after.

Thanks to super murder CoD goon and whoever found out that you can savescum Maxwell's turns and posted it here! There was no way I was going to survive that fight otherwise and get Maxwell. I'll try again later for the 10k Karma and hopefully net the dark resist at the same time since I don't need super squishy Rydia anymore.

Shark Tower posted:

My salt mines are ready!

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 20, 2016

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Scrublord Prime posted:

Thanks to super murder CoD goon and whoever found out that you can savescum Maxwell's turns and posted it here! There was no way I was going to survive that fight otherwise and get Maxwell. I'll try again later for the 10k Karma and hopefully net the dark resist at the same time since I don't need super squishy Rydia anymore.

Speaking of that, I posted earlier that my game glitched out and gave me a 0 ko win. If anyone wants to try and reproduce it for the materia, I did it by force closing my fight on Memu, then reopening it on my phone. I force closed a ton of times within both, but the only time I saw it glitch out like that was when I switched between devices, so if you really want the dark resist and can't manage it, give that a shot

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
That massive Elza in the video makes me think about how if I had a team of TM'd up dudes, Maxwell would be a total breeze. If we're really being honest with ourselves, Maxwell isn't nearly as difficult as something that would actually be a challenge to the whales. Imagine if they came out with an event that would be? We'd all be sitting here boned.

\/\/\/ - I actually used Luna for most of my story playthrough until I got some good people, but to answer your question, no outside of her TM she is garbage.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 20, 2016

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I got a 4 star Luna today - is she any good? I assumed all of the FF:BE characters were trash from what I've read, but I saw one of you using her as a leader so thought I'd ask. Sorry if it has been answered - I haven't read the thread for a couple days and now there are over 600 replies that I am making my way through (this thread moves fast!)

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

rio posted:

I got a 4 star Luna today - is she any good? I assumed all of the FF:BE characters were trash from what I've read, but I saw one of you using her as a leader so thought I'd ask. Sorry if it has been answered - I haven't read the thread for a couple days and now there are over 600 replies that I am making my way through (this thread moves fast!)

She's not very good, her chief purpose is just to give you Barrage as a TMR

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
holy gently caress

rainbow for daily

me: oh i bet its dk cecil or another miyuki or something

i am so set for like forever jesus christ

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Alright I've done this twice now without shutting down every 4 turns.

Lightning
Cecil
Refia
Lenna
Vann
Friend CoD 500+ attack

The problem is just killing her in three rounds isn't the goal, we have to stall as long as the ethers hold out.

Everyone has muscle belts cept Lightning. Everyone has hp and def up materia cept Lightning. No TM rewards on.

You need to feed the CoD mp in some form, elixirs or turbos both work. Cecil had Diablos so no provoke. The worst thing that can happen is Refia eats it because it takes two actions to get her up and capped compared to her just full lifeing whoever.

Embolden first turn and screw it the rest of the time. Keep up full break and cloud's ele resists always. Keep HP capped you have 3 healers. At 30% the bad poo poo happens have one person heal, have cloud trigger the 30%, the others all need to defend. Cloud will probably need a pick up leave Lenna dead assuming you used her as the cure sacrifice. After that continue as normal.

The CoD will do the real work everyone else is just there to use items or heal or debuff or dispel or earn orbs.

Cecil, Refia, and full break are the important things YOU need to bring, an extra high hp healer helps.

or just cheat and pull the plug every 4 turns, pussies.

Playing since a week after launch
Money spent on the game: $0
TMs farmed: 2x Excalibur

Good luck new people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
NEW THREAD

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3798722

• Locked thread