Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
I wasn't planning on playing this game, but I decided to give the free pulls a shot.. and I think I might be playing this game.

Penelo 4* from the starter draw, then:

Exdeath 4*
Cyan 4*
Vivi 3*
Krile 3* (x2)
Shantotto 3*
Celes 3*
Fran 3*
Bedile 3*
Clyne 3*

From the friends I was talking to, it sounds like I have the core of a good mage team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Shoenin posted:

I keep trying to equip abilities(Sleep, Cure, and Fire) but the moves say "Insufficient MAG level".

What or where does it say what MAG level you need to be to equip certain abilities?

There are little dots under above the character's equip options, which represent White (Healing/Holy), Black (offensive), and Green (Status / Buffing) spells.

Niton fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 30, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Reposting my own pull from a few days ago for a quick affirmation that it's Good:

Penelo 4* from the starter draw, then:

Exdeath 4*
Cyan 4*
Vivi 3*
Krile 3* (x2)
Shantotto 3*
Celes 3*
Fran 3*
Bedile 3*
Clyne 3*

So far the team I had suggested to me (Exdeath / Vivi / Krile / Shantotto / Celes) is rolling content, but part of me wonders if i should have tried for better.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
A more legitimate case for Exdeath being bad is that 3* Exdeath is really bad. If he's your best unit at 3*, the rest of your roll better be pretty good to make up for it, or your early game is going to suck.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Decided to reroll with the current Rate Up event, and came away with what feels like a ridiculous haul.

Chizuru 5*

Golbez 4*
Kefka 4*
Kefka 4*
Maria 4*

Celes 3*
Edgar 3*
Vivi 3*
Kain 3*
Fran 3*
Luna 3*

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

ZiegeDame posted:

So what exactly qualifies as rock solid? I've set up for a couple re-rolls, with the option to go back to my first pull if I want. I just got a pull with Edgar, Cyan, Vivi and Krile, (also Kain, Sabin, Kefka, and Galuf) and all of them are listed as "useful" in the OP. Do I want to hold out for one of the 8 or so listed above them, or can a critical mass of solid utility characters make up for the lack of an all-star?

Right now, a "good pull" is one of the top 6 units plus Golbez and Kefka, IMO. Golbez and Kefka are both fantastic casters, and it's very easy to get both of them in the opening 12 rolls. Kefka is only not the best caster ATM because of Exdeath, even.

Niton fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 13, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Weissritter posted:

With my units:

5* Chizuru
4* Kefka, Anzelm
3* Golbez, Kain, Clyne, Luna

And the starters, who should I concentrate on? Also, coming from BF, most of the time I do not keep duplicates, is that the case here? Do I fuse them for TM or keep? For reference, I have extra Chizuru, Kefka and Golbez.

You should probably be using both Chizurus, really - she's kind of crazy, and there's no penalty for using 2 or more. Aside from that, I would probably be running Chizuru, Chizuru, Kefka, Anzelm and Golbez. You can replace Anzelm with Fina once you have Cura on her.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Shifood posted:

I'm only rank 23 - having a hard time understanding why ExDeath is better than Kefka. I have both on my A team, but Kefka is pumping out more damage with level-parity. Is it just because Exdeath is tankier and that'll matter later? (When's later btw?)

Amazing ability crystal access, mag+30%, and a ridiculous 6* form in the future. Kefka's got Hyperdrive and Bioga, but lacks the versatility and native Firaga.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

KataraniSword posted:

Do I have to run Awakening ADV for Holy Crystals, or do they drop along with Sacreds in INT? I've had crap luck with them all around.

They can drop in INT, but at a lower amount per Stamina.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Woo, cleared out Demon Chimera after getting Chizuru to level 80. She did probably 75% of the damage, Barrage don't gently caress around.

The surprising co-MVP, though? Edgar! He has access to what amounts to Curaga in the form of Pharmacology Hi-Potion, and a pair of 40 MP Ethers gave Chizuru an extra 5 turns worth of Barrage for the kill. His long term viability might be awful, but in the here and now? He's pretty useful!

Niton fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 16, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

KataraniSword posted:

Not yet, but I'm definitely working on a set of Bars for either Fina or Terra, and Terra's got pretty much all the status clearing available as it stands.

The best worst thing about CoD is no ability slots. :saddowns:

White Dragon is a status effect / damage race fight, but Demon Chimera's all about endurance. You'll want to split Barfira and Barthundara between 2 characters, and consider Barblizarra for 100 Lapis as well. Even with all of that, you'll still want as much healing as reasonably possible to make sure you have the right spells going up every turn.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Varance posted:

Cheez's only works on Katanas, and Murasame is the most powerful most of us are going to have for about a year, unless you want to spend mad money to get Miyuki's trust mastery reward.

Murasame is also quite powerful for a free weapon, and if you have enough weapons where Murasame falls by the wayside you're in a position where you could easily have Miyuki's katana.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Varance posted:

How is advocating playing a Gacha-based game with some sanity a bad argument?

Because you're not even acting in good faith. The best chance we'll ever have to reroll for a specific unit composition is ending tomorrow, and characters like Miyuki and Chizuru are in the pool.. while characters like Dark Knight Cecil and Lightning aren't.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

HGH posted:

Oh boy. Can't wait for Magitek Sabin and Magitek Cyan based on a single 5 minute event.

Magitek Sabin as a punching robot would un-ironically own.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

KnoxZone posted:

Artemios is very good for right now. His main problem is that all the other good physical attackers outclass him greatly 3-4 months down the line. For now though (especially once the third trial is released) he can carry a party.

Shark Tower posted:

He'll become excellent once we get the next trial boss and its super bow. He's also one of the better units to get man killer for PVP arena, for us unfortunate souls without cloud of darkness. His biggest problem is being squishy with limited equipment options, and guaranteed to become obsolete compared to every other barrage user. Basically he's good now, but will become overshadowed quickly.

It's worth noting that this is "Obsoleted compared to other units when everyone has TMR and ideal equipment" - Artemios is going to remain solid for a long while as a DPS without reliance on the newest, shiniest TMRs.

Take ratings with a grain of salt, everyone but the luckiest and whaliest is going to need to use 1 or 2 "not top tier" units to fill itemization holes, and Artemios will remain solid for that for a long time.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Shwqa posted:

The story line is super easy. That is actually why I recommend people just beat it before getting all crazy attempting to 5* max level all their units. Better equipment and espers are comparable stat gains anyways. The coliseum does get really tough though.

Also physical attackers actually deal way more damage to a single enemy than a mage can. Barrage is just that broken. The toughest fights are bosses. So in the end physical attackers are better at end game content.

That's part of what makes Kefka so fantastic - Hyperdrive is one of the few abilities to compare to physical broken-ness, and he has 3 -ga level spells to go along with Heartless Angel for AoE.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Ratmtattat posted:

I kinda wish the game made it clear what you need to do to awaken an esper. I'm glad for the wiki, but just a note saying "Go back to the place you fought this esper to awaken" or something would be cool.

After you get an Esper to 30, the area they're associated with will have a flashing "New" symbol next to it, highlighting the newly unlocked trial.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
If you guys are trying to grind Farplane Souls (for Gravity Rod, or stat materia, or similar), Dalnakya Cavern - Demons' Lair is super solid for it. Goblins and Blue Wisps have them as both drops & steals, and you're guaranteed 4 Goblins alongside the boss. With 4 steals, i'm averaging about a 3 a run, and I had one run where i got SEVEN.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Shark Tower posted:

Ehhh I'd actually pass on it. Not worth grabbing JUST for frost dragon. The reward for beating him is lackluster and there's nothing past him yet anyways (there isn't ADV coliseum yet in JP). By the time he's actually in the way of getting to new content, you'll have strong enough units to take him on without barblizzara.

People should have 10-ish Magic Keys after all's said and done from buying summon tickets. It's really not that big a deal.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Frost Dragon (Int S5) down! It took two tries, though I probably could have one-shot it if I spent less time using status abilities on the first run.

Wound up using Locke of all people as my tank, and just having him Provoke then either Mirage or Cura depending what happened the previous turn.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Something to consider, if you're considering buying the Premium Pack:

For the same cost as the Premium Pack, you can buy the 400 Lapis one, the 3rd Item Crafting Slot (200), and the 4th Item Crafting Slot (300). You'll lose out on a bit when you're working or sleeping, but you'll be able to craft twice as much whenever you refresh your crafts.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Cleared up a couple of slots on my Friend List for a 292 attack Cloud of Darkness - not super fancy compared to some of your setups, but a good deal higher than the random ones I see floating around.

Friend ID is 380 341 060

Niton fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 5, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Evil Fluffy posted:

6* Rain has Full Break and a 3 turn 50% AOE atk/def/spr/mag buff IIRC. That's pretty useful in fights that won't take more than a dozen rounds unless you want to chug turbo ethers/elixirs.

You're thinking Main (Scenario) Quest. He's talking Mystic Quest, the kinda-FF game for the SNES.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Kemix posted:

So, what are the thoughts on the three units from the Crystal Defenders characters? I doubt they're worth trying to pull for, though the Fencer seems pretty decent all things considered.

They're base 4* that will never, ever get a 6* upgrade. This is the worst banner we've had to date by a long shot.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Decided to do a YOLO pull on the current banner with a ticket to scratch an itch.

4* crystal! Wait, where's the animation..

It's a 4* (duplicate) CoD. I'm happy, because I can take advantage of having two, but seriously :geno:

e: I have now pulled 2 Roselias and a CoD since the last time I pulled an on-banner unit :wtc:. Not "the off-banner unit I wanted", any off-banner unit.

Niton fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 10, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

KataraniSword posted:

As someone with two CoDs, let me tell you: poo poo is great in all respects except trying to get them equipped. The Black Belt Gis and Hero Rings are obvious, but then you look at that godawful weapon selection.

Funny you mention that- For all my shortcomings in unit pulls ( No good tanks, no dual wield, very few units with equipment TMRs at all), I do have an abundance of.. Lockes. Who will now become two Rising Suns instead of one.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Realized how dead-end my "main" account was - decently high rank, but very few future proof units and absolutely no "easy" resources left to tap. So I decided to go on a reroll adventure. A couple of hours later, and this nonsense popped out:

The rest of the pulls gave a Lenna and an Exdeath, too, but bizarrely? No Charlotte.

Not that i'm complaining. Time to begin the grind anew :toot:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Niton posted:

Realized how dead-end my "main" account was - decently high rank, but very few future proof units and absolutely no "easy" resources left to tap. So I decided to go on a reroll adventure. A couple of hours later, and this nonsense popped out:

The rest of the pulls gave a Lenna and an Exdeath, too, but bizarrely? No Charlotte.

Not that i'm complaining. Time to begin the grind anew :toot:

Spent all the freebie tickets from story, final haul is.. impressive:

Nearly poo poo myself when I saw that second rainbow, turned out to be a pretty bad unit (but a pretty good TM!) instead. Amarant is particularly cathartic; I spent like 15 tickets and 10k lapis on his banner looking for either him or Zidane, and wound up with neither.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Fenrir posted:

How do they get their loving attack that high? Dual wield, blade master, Sakurafubuki/Enhancer should only be uh, what, 31 points short of that (difference between Enhancer and Excalibur, and I never got Cecil) and I can't even hit 500.

They have an ATK+20% you (probably) don't have, and may also have a Fencer TMR or similar.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Fenrir posted:

Where do you get an ATK +20% aside from the Fencer TM?

There was a whale chest a month or so ago with a bunch of hilariously overpriced stuff, including that.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Today was a strange, but great day.

4* Daily pull? Cloud of Darkness - my third CoD off-banner between two accounts.
4* off the one ticket I budgeted?

This rear end in a top hat.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

HGH posted:

The game is actively preventing from crafting Shining Splendor.
I have all the Superior Blades. I have twice as much ore of each type as I need. I have Equipment space.
Yet every time I try to craft I get the message "You do not have enough."
Enough what game?! I seriously hope this is a bug and not the recipe expiring or something.

Unequip your Superior Blades.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Unless Lid is amazing (and definitely don't hold your breath for that..), this banner is nothing but a whale trap. We just had a great shot at Cecil, and Fina is in a role that has several known quantity 4-6* healers coming down the pipeline.

I'll still probably try a few daily pulls, but I don't expect much at all from this banner.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Losing Phoenix Downs to awful death RNG on Golbez was kind of heartbreaking, but I got him down just now. Pretty glad I bothered trying again, and I definitely see why Cacil is so highly rated now.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Pumpking Reaper sports a pretty hefty +50% RES-ALL (except for Holy), so keep that in mind when selecting equipment. Aside from that, he mostly just hits pretty hard, though you may need Survival Flasks if you don't have a strong unit of your own.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
I am an idiot. I put 10 tickets into this banner, wound up with Refia (yay!). Checked and double checked the mats i'd need to awaken both her & CoD, then.. bought the wrong mats. So now I can only 6* Refia.

In penance, I decided to rage-pull my remaining tickets, and..

I am a lucky idiot.

:same:, Luneth.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gumi loving their global players is a time-honored tradition.

In fairness to Gumi, we'll probably get better use out of 50% of it than Japan got from 100%.

Foresight is a hell of a thing.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Struck out mightily on banner (13 pulls, zero anything useful), but I did discover that Black Cat Lid more or less trivializes the 13-stamina encounter.

Hex Strike almost always applies Poison, Blind and :siren:Paralyze:siren:, giving you 3 turns to wail on Vargas and dealing 165k damage to boot.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I guess the problem for me is, I have Karl. Without him I could do Exdeath/Kefka/Kefka/BCLid/Agrias, but if I want get a decent reward I need to fit Karl in there which means one of those components are gone.

Skip Agrias and bring Karl with an esper that gives Deshell. You're only losing 10%, and get to keep your 3 mages.

Or just have Lid use Deshell on turn 2.

e: oh, you got it to work, nice

KataraniSword posted:

Gumi global exclusives having secretly broken-as-gently caress loopholes is a time-honored tradition. A few of the early ones in Brave Frontier pretty much invalidated most of the early trials in that game.

I'm not surprised that this is far more broken than intended.

Yeah, BC Lid is completely busted for this, it's great and not random at all and I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Haderon being able to solo almost any fight in the game due to stealth breaking enemy AI was funny. As was the update that disabled all in game AI for a couple days. 100% auto attack in arena, Karl never transformed in his trial and all enemies only auto attacked...etc.

:eyepop:

Does it stay active if you heal? Because that could be brutal for the arena, or hard content in general really.

It doesn't stack with Focus/Cheer/Embolden, though. That's a big "but."

• Locked thread