Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I've built myself a Powermac G4 MDD running OS9 to gently caress around with old games, but it's no fun at all because it averages around 5 minutes of uptime before some game causes a hard freeze and you have to hold the power button or unplug it, then wait for a lengthy file system check when it boots back up

At least the older macs gave you a reset button, ugh.
Apple were drat lucky they didn't go bankrupt selling people this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
you should play prince of persia on it, OP

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
play that dinosaur game that i think was the only game macs had back then

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

error1 posted:

I've built myself a Powermac G4 MDD running OS9 to gently caress around with old games, but it's no fun at all because it averages around 5 minutes of uptime before some game causes a hard freeze and you have to hold the power button or unplug it, then wait for a lengthy file system check when it boots back up

why would you go through the trouble of building the hardware when sheepsaver works just fine

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Sheesh, people will speed run anything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjidnRWOsp4

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

horse mans posted:

why would you go through the trouble of building the hardware when sheepsaver works just fine

I thought sheepshaver was really unstable when I tried using it but now I've realized macs are supposed to be like that

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

big scary monsters posted:

play that dinosaur game that i think was the only game macs had back then

what about that stunt helicopter game where you drop a dude into a wagon full of hay

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
RIP Glider PRO

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i plyaed a lot of nanosaur in the comptuer labs in middle school, op

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i've seen sad mac and that bomb icon so many times

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
play marathon

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

works on my tibook, op

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
macos wasn't really any worse than windows 3.1. it was mostly just that awkward five year period between win95 and os x that it stood out as being a turd

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Nice extension conflict dumbass. Extensions Manager much??

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lack of pre-emptive multitasking in an OS being sold into the late 90's was pretty loving ridiculous

it's amazing they ever worked

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lack of pre-emptive multitasking in an OS being sold into the late 90's was pretty loving ridiculous

it's amazing they ever worked

they had been trying to come up with a replacement without success since around 1992

Stebe (pbuh) got a standing ovation for running Bomb.app on OSX at Macworld 1999 or whatever year it was and the system not crashing

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Luigi Thirty posted:

they had been trying to come up with a replacement without success since around 1992

Stebe (pbuh) got a standing ovation for running Bomb.app on OSX at Macworld 1999 or whatever year it was and the system not crashing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrT9fHietTY

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

:captainpop:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

My lime green g3 is still in storage maybe it's time to fire it up and play some lovely games

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

A poo poo box

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
yeah ok but what about that game where you played as a bug and had to do bug quests

i don't remember the name but i played it as a child

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
what about that screensaver where you killed barney the dinosaur?

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

C.H.O.M.E posted:

what about that screensaver where you killed barney the dinosaur?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

SheepShaver is actually reasonably stable now, but Basilisk II crashes if you hold the mouse wrong

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

sheep?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

error1 posted:

try vanilla os9 thats what i have, my toilet seat ibook goin 16 years strong

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
super munchers

oregon trail

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

error1 posted:

SheepShaver is actually reasonably stable now, but Basilisk II crashes if you hold the mouse wrong

you're holding it wrong

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i bought an LC 630 with a DOS card off ebay in the mid-2000s

that ruled, having a mac running OS 8 with a built-in 486 running DOS

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I had one of those for a while, i think mine was a 486 DX2 66mhz

It was the only way macs could play MP3 files in realtime for quite a long while :downs:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I found a MDD PowerMac on the sidewalk. It kernel panics on boot but I'm assuming it's just the install that's boned and that the computer itself is good.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It might need a new graphics card, the ATI card in mine kept freezing the system. I replaced it with a PCI ATI card and replaced all the fans and now it's both stable and silent. You can get rid of the 60mm fans in the power supply and just stick a 120mm fan on the outside of the PSU, I have no idea why apple didn't do that from the start.

Maybe computers were supposed to sound like vacuum cleaners in 2003 to show how powerful they were :confused:

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PClFgLAorVE

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A Pinball Wizard posted:

super munchers

oregon trail

nanosaur
maelstrom
realmz
bolo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

error1 posted:

Sheesh, people will speed run anything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjidnRWOsp4

lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
imagine being such a loving moron in the 90s that you spent time in the mac lab at school using bad software on worse computers instead of the glorious PC lab with epic rigs blasting the most ownage programs and games. mac lab devotees were pathetic pariahs then, just as they are now. YOSPOS Bitch!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i never owned a mac in the era of gigantic candy flavored computers for babies, and i believe that was a good choice on my part

late adopter best adopter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i never owned a mac in the era of gigantic candy flavored computers for babies, and i believe that was a good choice on my part

late adopter best adopter

• Locked thread