Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I worked for an NBC affiliate for some years, then a CBS affiliate, and I have done work for and/or dated people at various networks, production companies, or affiliates. I've seen a fair amount of shows, both taped, live-to-tape, and live.

The accounts presented above are accurate to all of my experiences. The only thing I wanted to add that surprised me at the time is for talk shows (like late night shows) with a band... when Letterman (Leno, Ellen, etc) finishes the bit and the band strikes up, then after 5 seconds of music they go to commercial break... 1) the commercials don't run in the studio, but the break is timed exactly in real time. So if the break is 3 minutes 35 seconds long, the band plays for 3:35 and then does 5 more seconds to bring the show back in. I'd always assumed it was just a :10 song or stinger or whatever to take us to break, then in the studio they'd go "OK, everybody ready??" and do another 10 second song and go for the next segment - but no, it's in real time. And it's a real song. Not anything you've ever heard, but there are words, and the person singing (who you never/seldom see on TV) comes out in the audience and stuff to try and keep everybody dancing and amped up.

At Leno they made a really big deal after the warmup act and before Leno comes out that they don't stop tape. Whatever happens, they don't stop tape, they just roll with it. I went backstage after and was talking to the producers, and I asked if that was true, and they were like... it has to be pretty bad. Like trainwreck bad. Sometimes we bleep stuff out, or sometimes we cover a shot of something, but to stop tape... it's a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread