Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I want to know what it's like being in the audience of a live tv show.
How do you get tickets?
Is there a conduct briefing before filming starts (i.e. "Those of you in this section don't make faces because you're in view of the camera. Pee breaks every 20 minutes and you can't leave before then. If you got kids you have to sit in this section.")?
Are there still laughter and applause signs?
How long does filming actually take?
I noticed the live audience on Top Gear all stands up. Do they get to sit down, or do you have to stand up for the duration?
On shows where some of it's prefilmed (SNL, Daily Show, etc), does the whole audience watch that segment for 3 minutes while the host just stands there straightening their tie?

What shows have you been on and what's it like?

I was in the audience for the Daily Show once as well as some standup comedy special by John Oliver for HBO (this was years before his current show). There were no laughter/applause signs, I assume because the shows were funny enough that they weren't necessary. I don't remember a formal "conduct briefing" per se but both shows had a warmup set by a comedian who was not in the main act. In the Daily Show, Jon Stewart came out after the first warmup set and joked around with the audience for about 10 minutes, and he established a couple inside jokes with the audience that he could come back to during the main show. The filming doesn't take much longer that the show itself, though in the case of the John Oliver special they filmed the whole thing twice, the second time had a slightly different roster of comedians but many of the same ones, who told the same jokes, which was a bit strange. Everyone still laughed at them the second time. There are no pee breaks, you really aren't supposed to get up at all, at least on those shows. The John Oliver one had cameras sweeping over the audience constantly but the Daily Show didn't film the audience at all. Both shows had nice seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread