Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Here's the deal. Novak Djokovic is by far the best tennis player in the world right now, but he lost to Andy Murray in the final of last week's Masters 1000 tournament in Rome, so just lol if he doesn't win, doubly so if Murray beats him in the final and gets a French Open first.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/index.html

The second slam of the year begins Sunday, May 22 and ends Sunday, June 5. Local time in Paris is 6 hours ahead of U.S. Eastern Time.

TV coverage generally starts at 5 a.m. ET every day on Tennis Channel with NBC coverage on the weekend. I guess ESPN didn't care to bid for coverage, so I'll be streaming like the rest of you. RIP ratings.

Draws

Top 8 Men's Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
N Djokovic 4/5
A Murray 7/2
R Nadal 5/1
S Wawrinka 12/1
K Nishikori 20/1
D Thiem 40/1
J-W Tsonga 66/1
N Kyrgios 66/1

Top 8 Women's Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
S Williams 9/4
S Halep 5/1
V Azarenka 6/1
G Muguruza 9/1
A Kerber 16/1
P Kvitova 25/1
L Safarova 33/1
T Bacsinszky 33/1
M Keys 33/1
A Radwanska 33/1

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Christ the women's field is depressing to look at.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Roger :(

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I will be happy as long as Djokovic doesn't win.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
what the gently caress there are 2 posts a month in the tennis thread and we need a separate rg thread?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

It's not the same without Roger :(

Murray's match winning point against Djoko last week was loving amazing and deserves a rewatch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQiaGQ9-PlU

oliwan posted:

what the gently caress there are 2 posts a month in the tennis thread and we need a separate rg thread?

Slams are the biggest tennis event and lots of people only watch slams.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Classic Petra there. Wins the first, twice up a break in the second, goes down a break in the third, ends up winning it 7-5.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Glare Seethe posted:

Classic Petra there. Wins the first, twice up a break in the second, goes down a break in the third, ends up winning it 7-5.
Petra is probably my favorite player on the women's side but it's just so frustrating rooting for her.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just lol at Radwanska being the 2nd seed but 7th favorite.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Petra is probably my favorite player on the women's side but it's just so frustrating rooting for her.

Yeah, same. I should be able to just shrug it off by now but in reality she still gets me every time. Glad she's through in any case.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
so apparently kyrgios the Australian idiot yelled at a ball boy today, and then couldn't understand he was called on it?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

The warning was bullshit as Kyrgios was trying to say 'towel' to the ballboy over the crowd. He plays fast and doesn't have time to wait for the crowd to die down.

He gets warnings for things he doesn't deserve because of what he said one time to Stan. If he had acted as pissy as Djoko did all week in Madrid the media/officials would have raked him over coal.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
good, I hope the dim idiot gets so many warnings he literally melts down and explodes.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
the same goes for djokovic btw, but mainly kyrgios.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My understanding is Kyrgios said "towel" is a disrespectful manner, but I haven't seen/heard it yet.

unsanitary
Dec 14, 2007

don't sweat the technique
The video is here. If Roger does that, noone bats an eye.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

French Open more like rain open amirite?

Wawrinka was down 2 sets to 1 again Rosol but they're now in the 5th. Still lots of drama.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Anyone catch why the crowd was boo'ing Sock so much? Gotta love those French crowds.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

This giy Simon is playing, Dutra Silva, has the worst grunt. The ball is on the other side of the court when he grunts and it sounds like he's dying!

PS. Dimitrov still sucks.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Man I never thought Dimitrov was gonna be Fed, but I would have never guessed he'd be this poo poo. Glad Stan made it out but it his chances to win don't look great.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

If Murray loses here just loving cancel the men's tournament.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Murray just hasn't shown up. Hopefully he can steal the third and come back tomorrow re-focused.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Glare Seethe posted:

Murray just hasn't shown up. Hopefully he can steal the third and come back tomorrow re-focused.

He's currently 5-0 up in the third so that might count as stealing it

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Murray got the chair umpire to send someone to check in on Stepanek at the bathroom.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Someone tell Murray he doesn't have to play five sets.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

Someone tell Murray he doesn't have to play five sets.
He gets Karlovic next so I can see the match going to 5 but he won't do nearly as much running.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

This player that Sloane is currently beating has probably overtaken Sharapova and/or Errani for most annoying noise made when hitting the ball. I can't really call it a grunt but it's just awful, whatever it is.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sharapova has ruined a generation of tennis players.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bouchard getting schooled by Baczinsky right now. :getin: Bouchard apparently reunited with her old coach, Nick Saviano. She must have begged him on her hands and knees to take her back.

Haven't heard the Genie Army at all this match. How the mighty have fallen.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

That was getting dangerously close to embarrassing for Timea.

Meanwhile Petkovic is getting demolished. :(

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Man, Eurosport have somehow managed to concoct a situation in which the match on Chatrier is unavailable on their service. On Eurosport Player Chatrier is not listed as a viewable court, presumably because one of the main two Eurosport channels will always air its matches. But now the cycling has taken over Eurosport 1, and Eurosport 2 is showing Serena's match on Lenglen, leaving Tsonga v Baghdatis impossible to watch while I could happily switch over to an empty court 18 to see absolutely nothing.

Good job. :argh: Switched over to Vesely v Almagro for now.

Kind of a dull day today so far. I hope Goffin goes far, I really like his game and would love to see him regularly challenge and beat the top players.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 26, 2016

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

At least Eurosport is better than ITV. Tucked away on ITV4 only. There are two matches still going on but why show one of those when we can show a loving repeat from earlier.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

That sucks, showing repeats while there is live tennis being played is the worst. Up there with commentators talking during the points for tennis broadcasting sins.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Petra Kvitova is going down in flames. I know clay isn't her best surface but still, if Tomic did this we'd all be making 'choo choo' noises at him.

e: and she lost.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Sodium Chloride posted:

Petra Kvitova is going down in flames. I know clay isn't her best surface but still, if Tomic did this we'd all be making 'choo choo' noises at him.

0-6, 7-6, 0-6 is an.... interesting way to lose.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

I was watching some other matches and completely missed that clusterfuck.

Kyrgios has a left shoulder injury and is currently getting schooled by Gasquet.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Sodium Chloride posted:

Another flameout, another plea: stop doing this poo poo, Petra. You should be wiping the floor with anyone not named Serena. You are too good for this. Ugh.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 27, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nadal pulling out due to wrist injury?!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

By Nadal. :aaa:

Wow, it must be bad for him to pull out of a clay tourney. Organisers are probably crying right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If Djokovic doesn't win now... "just loving lol" doesn't even begin to explain it.

• Locked thread