Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Here's the deal. Novak Djokovic is by far the best tennis player in the world right now, but he lost to Andy Murray in the final of last week's Masters 1000 tournament in Rome, so just lol if he doesn't win, doubly so if Murray beats him in the final and gets a French Open first.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/index.html

The second slam of the year begins Sunday, May 22 and ends Sunday, June 5. Local time in Paris is 6 hours ahead of U.S. Eastern Time.

TV coverage generally starts at 5 a.m. ET every day on Tennis Channel with NBC coverage on the weekend. I guess ESPN didn't care to bid for coverage, so I'll be streaming like the rest of you. RIP ratings.

Draws

Top 8 Men's Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
N Djokovic 4/5
A Murray 7/2
R Nadal 5/1
S Wawrinka 12/1
K Nishikori 20/1
D Thiem 40/1
J-W Tsonga 66/1
N Kyrgios 66/1

Top 8 Women's Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
S Williams 9/4
S Halep 5/1
V Azarenka 6/1
G Muguruza 9/1
A Kerber 16/1
P Kvitova 25/1
L Safarova 33/1
T Bacsinszky 33/1
M Keys 33/1
A Radwanska 33/1

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Glare Seethe posted:

Classic Petra there. Wins the first, twice up a break in the second, goes down a break in the third, ends up winning it 7-5.
Petra is probably my favorite player on the women's side but it's just so frustrating rooting for her.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just lol at Radwanska being the 2nd seed but 7th favorite.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My understanding is Kyrgios said "towel" is a disrespectful manner, but I haven't seen/heard it yet.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

French Open more like rain open amirite?

Wawrinka was down 2 sets to 1 again Rosol but they're now in the 5th. Still lots of drama.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Murray got the chair umpire to send someone to check in on Stepanek at the bathroom.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

Someone tell Murray he doesn't have to play five sets.
He gets Karlovic next so I can see the match going to 5 but he won't do nearly as much running.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sharapova has ruined a generation of tennis players.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bouchard getting schooled by Baczinsky right now. :getin: Bouchard apparently reunited with her old coach, Nick Saviano. She must have begged him on her hands and knees to take her back.

Haven't heard the Genie Army at all this match. How the mighty have fallen.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

Petra Kvitova is going down in flames. I know clay isn't her best surface but still, if Tomic did this we'd all be making 'choo choo' noises at him.

e: and she lost.
I was watching some other matches and completely missed that clusterfuck.

Kyrgios has a left shoulder injury and is currently getting schooled by Gasquet.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nadal pulling out due to wrist injury?!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If Djokovic doesn't win now... "just loving lol" doesn't even begin to explain it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

Milos has decided to jump on the 'get coached by a former big name player' bandwagon.

https://twitter.com/Eurosport/status/736275686223183872
You cannot be serious!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ivanovic/Svitolina on now. I've tried to be a Svitolina fan in the past but her game is just too defensive, too much counter punching. She's basically another Wozniacki.

We'll see if she cranks up the aggression to match Ivanovic's inconsistent offense.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Updated odds after Nadal withdraws, Murray is still at 7/2 but Djoker is now 1/2.

Just lol if Djokovic doesn't win

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

Tsonga retires while up in the first set from a groin problem.

Betfair don't pay out unless the one set is completed :argh:
I like Gulbis but Tsonga's WD just adds to one of the worst majors in recent memory.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Not many compelling matches today. Stan/Troicki could be good, Nishikori/Gasquet will be a grindfest, and Halep/Stosur will be "who fucks up less".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Glare Seethe posted:

I think Nishikori v Gasquet is the obvious standout today, they're both entertaining shotmakers and Gasquet has a home crowd advantage. Can see that one going the distance. I'll probably watch Begu v Rogers over Wawrinka's match, feels like the type of match that can end up unexpectedly good, two unheralded players on a good run. Or it could be terrible in which case I'll switch.

Meanwhile Raonic is losing... badly.
Raonic loses in straights without a single tiebreak. Garbage servebot.

I wonder if John McEnroe is regretting his decision to become Raonic's coach.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 29, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Glare Seethe posted:

I think Nishikori v Gasquet is the obvious standout today, they're both entertaining shotmakers and Gasquet has a home crowd advantage. Can see that one going the distance. I'll probably watch Begu v Rogers over Wawrinka's match, feels like the type of match that can end up unexpectedly good, two unheralded players on a good run. Or it could be terrible in which case I'll switch.
Welp, Rogers beats Begu in straights. All the drama is in Wawa/Troicki.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jack's Flow posted:

The Becker thing still makes no sense to me.
Are you sure?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Play abandoned today due to rain. :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

First point of Djokovic/RBA was a 30 shot rally that was basically practice hitting :lol:

Conditions are so gross right now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Djokovic playing like rear end, loses the 1st set 6-3.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Play suspended again. I hope this year's tournament gets completely shitwrecked. The French tennis federation are pussies and should have followed through with their threats to relocate the tournament, and the Paris city council are fuckers for being obstructionist.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The FO offers a 100% refund if there's less than 1 hour of play and a 50% refund is there's 1-2 hours.

Djokovic and RBA played for... 2 hours 1 minute.

What a loving scam.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My girl Svitolina may have gotten double breadsticked by Serena, but she lasted more than an hour, which is about all you can ask for.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gasquet takes the 1st from Murray!!!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gasquet won the 1st 7-5 after being down 2-5.

Gasquet went down 2-5 again in the 2nd and just tied it 5-5. :aaa:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Murray/Wawrinka will be an interesting semifinal.

And if Stan wins, a finals rematch with Nole would have crazy drama.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Holy poo poo Putinseva just took the 1st from Serena 7-5. :aaa:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Glare Seethe posted:

The attendance is just shocking, I guess it must be the weather? Still, it's the semis of a slam and feels more like a random lower tier tournament that accidentally ended up on a huge court.

Must be nice to live in a slam city knowing it's no biggie, there's always next year.
Apparently there's some flooding, but it's also cold and these tickets originally would've been for men's SF.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

They dropped the price to 20 Euros for Lenglen if the Djoko match isn't full then there's a massive problem.

I think it's the French crowd doing their 'gently caress this, gently caress you' routine.
They really should move the venue into the suburbs with more space because Parisians obviously don't give a gently caress.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wawrinka and Murray starting. Should be crazy good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Women's final about to start! Garbine is likable enough, but really, anyone but Serena.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Muguruza with the first break courtesy of a Serena double fault, up 3-2.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

After 3 breaks of serve, Muguruza takes the 1st 7-5!!! :woop:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

3 breaks in a row to start the 2nd. So tense :ohdear:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ZOMG Garbi now at 5-3!!!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Garbi lost 4 match points on Serena's serve. I don't think she has it in her to serve it out here. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Garbi lost 4 match points on Serena's serve. I don't think she has it in her to serve it out here. :ohdear:
I've never been more happy to be wrong. Closes it out at love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 4, 2016

• Locked thread