Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Saturday's an off day and the tour resumes Sunday in Osaka at 3:00 AM EDT/8:00 BST

NJPW BOSJ Day 7
Osaka Edion Arena #2
May 29th, 3:00 EDT/8:00 BST
[/b]

Elgin, Tenzan, and Volador vs. CHAOS (Ishii, Ospreay, and Beretta)
Nagata, Nakanishi, Liger, and TMIV vs. Shibata, Fish, Juice, and White
BOSJ Block A Match:David Finlay [0] vs. Gedo [2]
BOSJ Block A Match:Rocky Romero [4] vs. BUSHI [0]
Kojima, Ricochet, Yoshitatsu, and Captain vs. Bullet Club (Omega, Fale, Yujiro, and Owens)
CHAOS (Okada, Goto, and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. L.I.J (Naito, SANADA, and EVIL)
BOSJ Block A Match:Kyle O'Reilly [6] vs. Matt Sydal [4]
BOSJ Block A Match:KUSHIDA [2] vs. Ryusuke Taguchi [6]

Not as strong as some other live shows on paper imo, but still a solid card especially when you consider that Taguchi's actually been pretty good.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Sydal's so underrated as a singles worker, I bet he and Kyle will totally kill it. Might actually watch that show live since it starts at midnight here.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the finish is going to be an SSP into a triangle/armbar

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
They really need to make someone lose by count out. Just once. So they can give this un-ending count out spot some sort of credence. As it stands currently... I just eye roll, every single time. It's been bad in the past, but it's especially god damned ridiculous in this tournament.

Osprey vs Ricochet!!! - Awesome stuff!! It's too bad they didn't get more time but they made every minute count.

My favorite spots (hard because everything was awesome)

TWO SUPER HERO LANDINGS AT ONCE?! Wooooow... O_o
Chip chip cheerio mother fucker!
All the counters/misses in the corner leading to double head kicks.
I didn't know Osprey had a headbutt in him. Wicked smart!
Brain buster countered to a stunner... WHAAAT?!
Ricochet tries again, gets the brain buster in a pinning combo and Will near falls to perfection
The finish, good lord almighty. Second rope bounce backwards across the ring to a stunner. Unbelievable!
The hand shake showdown. Ohhhhhh!

This is awesome chants in NJPW... well deserved.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Demtor posted:

They really need to make someone lose by count out. Just once. So they can give this un-ending count out spot some sort of credence. As it stands currently... I just eye roll, every single time. It's been bad in the past, but it's especially god damned ridiculous in this tournament.

Agreed, it was great to see YTR win by countout in the NJC for that reason.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

oatgan posted:

the finish is going to be an SSP into a triangle/armbar

Don't give it away, dude!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Lmao at twitter clowns getting extremely upset at Ricochet/Ospreay for being a "memorized gymnastics routine" that "killed wrestling"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Oh. Welp, looks like wrestling's over then.

Pack it in guys, they killed wrestling.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/JoeyRyanOnline/status/736381694370975745

https://twitter.com/KingRicochet/status/736367913603457025

My two favorites.

edit:

My new Favorite

https://twitter.com/KingRicochet/status/736496055584358400

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 28, 2016

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I don't think I've ever heard a "This is Awesome" chant at a NJPW show.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they did them at the roh joint shows at korakuen but this is certainly the first for an NJPW show proper

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Richochet getting kicked in the face is impressive.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I finally got to the match tonight and it lived up to all the hype. I really liked that they started the match doing the smoothest flippy poo poo and things progressed vicious and gritty flips. Ospreay's double kick was brutal.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Saturday's an off day and the tour resumes Sunday in Osaka at 3:00 AM EDT/8:00 BST

NJPW BOSJ Day 7
Osaka Edion Arena #2
May 29th, 3:00 EDT/8:00 BST
[/b]

Elgin, Tenzan, and Volador vs. CHAOS (Ishii, Ospreay, and Beretta)
Nagata, Nakanishi, Liger, and TMIV vs. Shibata, Fish, Juice, and White
BOSJ Block A Match:David Finlay [0] vs. Gedo [2]
BOSJ Block A Match:Rocky Romero [4] vs. BUSHI [0]
Kojima, Ricochet, Yoshitatsu, and Captain vs. Bullet Club (Omega, Fale, Yujiro, and Owens)
CHAOS (Okada, Goto, and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. L.I.J (Naito, SANADA, and EVIL)
BOSJ Block A Match:Kyle O'Reilly [6] vs. Matt Sydal [4]
BOSJ Block A Match:KUSHIDA [2] vs. Ryusuke Taguchi [6]

This is starting now

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Elgin and Ishii staring each other down postmatch, wonder if they're building to something there or just calling back to their rivalry from last year

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Juice is keeping the memory of Karl Anderson alive by constantly swearing in English during all of his matches

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
K I'm gonna need a gif of that standing SSP reversed into a submission from the Sydal/O'Reilly match.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Sydal/O'Reilly and Taguchi/Kushida were both great.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
This tournament has been loving fantastic- Kushida is probably my favorite wrestler of the year so far

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The next three shows will be a return back to single cam shows where the league matches will be uploaded at 11 PM EDT.

Monday's Block B Matches:

Beretta [4] vs. Chase Owens [2]
Tiger Mask [2] vs. Will Ospreay [2]
Bobby Fish [2] vs. Volador Jr. [4]
Jushin Liger [4] vs. Ricochet [4]

Those last two matches should at the very least be interesting.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I finally got to the match tonight and it lived up to all the hype. I really liked that they started the match doing the smoothest flippy poo poo and things progressed vicious and gritty flips. Ospreay's double kick was brutal.

I watched it just now and I don't really get the complaints about the psychology. There was flippy stuff at the beginning as they were feeling each other out, then flippy stuff at the end as they were trying to put each other away; but the middle third was mostly the two of them slapping/chopping/kicking the poo poo out of each other.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The complaints are from people who haven't watched the match and have only seen the highlight video or gifs.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I showed Ricochet vs. Ospreay to two friends of mine who had never watched a wrestling match before and they were cheering their asses off the whole time. Anyone who claims it detracts from the dignity of wrestling is being profoundly lame

Now that we're sorta halfway through, who do you got to take it all? I'm still betting on KOR

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
O'Reilly seems like he's being protected. I wouldn't be surprised if KUSHIDA took it from the middle of the pack though.

mvh6
May 29, 2016
I had an initial prediction that i still stick with. I think it makes a lot of sense for BUSHI to cheat KUSHIDA out of the win on the final block night, then to win the tournament, and KUSHIDA can get his revenge in the title match at Dominion.

No matter what i see both of them winning the rest of their matches now until the last day.

As for the Ricochet/Ospreay match i thought it was a spectacle. It's clear that it appeals to so many people, and honestly that's the junior style. You knew what this match was going in, so i don't understand why people would criticize something that just delivered as advertised. I don't see anyone criticizing getting cheese in a cheeseburger, even if they think cheese is a bad combination with meat. Weird metaphor, anyways i loved that match as it was something truly unique and different to see in Korakuen. It was like watching superheroes going against each other, which i found really cool.

And i'm sure these two just grabbed a ton of casual fans attention. Good for them & good for New Japan!

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

lol at Ospreay yelling IT'S VADER TIME and doing the splash

Also no one mentioned David Finlay becoming a real boy, what the hell. That owned. Note that for BUSHI to win Finlay needs to beat or tie with O'Reilly, so there's drama there.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Tonfa posted:

lol at Ospreay yelling IT'S VADER TIME and doing the splash

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't skip the non-tourney matches because that was a highlight of the show for me too.

I'm looking forward to the Ospreay/Volador singles match down the line as their interactions in the tag matches have been pretty great.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Why did they do a stretcher job on Liger on day 4 if he was still gonna work more days?

Also when will day 7 be available?

Edit: I am an idiot and can't read dates in the OP

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Why did they do a stretcher job on Liger on day 4 if he was still gonna work more days?

Also when will day 7 be available?

Edit: I am an idiot and can't read dates in the OP

He had a neck injury before the tour and I believe they were just trying to get Chase Owens over that night.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Trying to keep caught up, I'm kinda amazed that not only have most of the tourney matches been very good but I'm really enjoying the multi-man tags that usually feel completely throwaway too. Especially the stuff with Naito's crew and Okada's.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ospreay's first two losses didn't shock me, but I am surprised that he lost to Tiger Mask and remained at the bottom of the standings right after beating Ricochet.

Tuesday's matches that will be available tomorrow night at around 11 PM are:

David Finlay [2] vs. BUSHI [2]
Matt Sydal [6] vs. Rocky Romero [4]
KUSHIDA [4] vs. Gedo [2]
Ryusuke Taguchi [6] vs. Kyle O'Reilly [6]

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
I've been enjoying Taguchi quite a bit during this tournament. His match with Sydal stood out for me on night 4.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Missed marking Liger's loss to Rico in Liger's row.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

Missed marking Liger's loss to Rico in Liger's row.

thanks for the heads up.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I would very much like to see Kyle choke out Taguchi

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Thauros posted:

Ospreay's first two losses didn't shock me, but I am surprised that he lost to Tiger Mask and remained at the bottom of the standings right after beating Ricochet.
It's his first BOSJ, losing all his matches except for one big win over an established guy is pretty much the best-case scenario.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I mean arguably Ospreay could still be in contention. He wins his next two matches it could set up the main event with Volador Jrn as a for all the marbles match. I see Volador and Ricochet being tied on the last night on 8 points with Will on 6, making the story the winner of Will/Volador wins the block.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Durk Hendrunkqs posted:

I've been enjoying Taguchi quite a bit during this tournament. His match with Sydal stood out for me on night 4.

I feel like he'll always be a love em or hate em kind of wrestler. I enjoyed the second half of his match against Sydal. The Kushida match was good. However, his first two against Finlay and Rocky were cringe worthy to me.

I'd like him more if his ring gear wasn't god awful but I just can't behind an rear end based offense. :razz: That type of stuff is for the indies. Not NJPW, imo.

"Get your silly comedy poo poo out of my serious tournament, ya green spandexed goof!" :corsair:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Per last night's results, we have our first eliminations! Spoilered in case people want to wait for the VoD on NJPW World:

Gedo and Finlay are out. The best they can hope for are 3-4 records, and Taguchi and Sydal already have 4 wins each. Rocky Romero is also almost definitely out, since he can achieve a 4-3 record, but he has losses to both Taguchi and Sydal, meaning his ability to make it out on tiebreakers is really suspect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mvh6
May 29, 2016

Jenny Angel posted:

Per last night's results, we have our first eliminations! Spoilered in case people want to wait for the VoD on NJPW World:

Gedo and Finlay are out. The best they can hope for are 3-4 records, and Taguchi and Sydal already have 4 wins each. Rocky Romero is also almost definitely out, since he can achieve a 4-3 record, but he has losses to both Taguchi and Sydal, meaning his ability to make it out on tiebreakers is really suspect

Another elimination on top of those

BUSHI is also eliminated, since his maximum possible point now is 8, and he has the loss to Sydal who stands at 8 now.

Very surprised about this turn of events!

• Locked thread