Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Why do you need to put so much money in a savings account? Invest it all in taxable brokerage in the same/equivalent funds as your tax-advantaged plans, then just dribble out whatever you need to accomplish your savings goals in tax year 2017. For tax filing simplicity you could just put it in whatever Vanguard target date fund most closely matches your desired risk allocation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

onemillionzombies posted:

You wouldn't want to use a target date fund with taxable investments, better to just buy the funds separately.

Also with taxable you probably wouldn't want to automatically invest your dividends, better for those to go into a money market account for tax simplicity and re-balancing without having to sell anything.

We're talking like one year, I think transaction minimization and tax filing simplicity might be a reasonable consideration over extreme tax efficiency optimization

• Locked thread