Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Pain shoots down your back. The ground is hard beneath you. Blinking away the darkness you open your eyes to see the clear blue of a summer sky. Your head pounds, thoughts drift slowly through your mind. You turn your head and feel damp grass brush against your cheek. Your hands rubs over your face taking away sweat you hadn't realised was there. You're outside, lying in the dirt. You try to connect now to the past but your memories don't fit.

“Ah, I see you have woken up.”

The voice cuts through the haze, sharpening your senses. You don't know where it's coming from.

“I realise that you may be currently experiencing some confusion.”

No kidding. What's going on?

“Let me explain. My name is Richard but you may know me better as Lowtax.”

Yes, of course. You know him. But why...?

“I realise that this is an unusual situation you all find yourself in. Believe me, I can understand that. But you see, you have been a plague on my life for far too long. Yes, my dear sweet mafia community, you have been a blight on my wonderful creation since the moment of your conception. So many arguments, so much strife. Do you know how many potential customers you've scared away from my website? Do you understand how much income you have cost me? I've put up with you for far too long. It seems we have reached the end of our relationship but I can't just ban the lot of you. Do you know how much paperwork that would mean? So instead I've consulted with my admins and we have devised this solution. A final solution, as it were.”

Lowtax's words bring your brain back into gear. You know what he means, you remember your mafia community which you love. And sometimes hate. And yes, you know he's right that you often argue and fight but you also know the love that all of you share. You pull yourself up off the ground, listening out for more information.

“You might be wondering where you are. The answer is that you're on a beautiful island not too far from the Caymans. Well, far enough that you can't get anywhere by swimming so don't try that. And as for the reason you're here, I suppose your heads are clear enough I can say that now. It's simple, really. I need the lot of you gone. You're no good to us and we don't want you here anyway. But as I say, it's just too much hassle for us to get rid of you ourselves so we're going to let you do what you do best. We're going to let you fight each other and do the job for us.”

Huh?

“Sorry, was I not clear enough? Let me be clear. There's a hundred of you on this island. You're going to kill each other until there's one of you left. And that survivor... well, we might let him back if they ask nicely. Maybe. Anyway, time's a wasting and I've got better things to do with my time than manage you lot so hop to it. Chop chop!”

...What the gently caress?

Welcome to Mafia Is Dead, a special event consisting of 100 members of the SA Mafia community! Participants have been pre-selected based on recent and overall participation in mafia games. All participants were added as combatants into Ultimate Arena, a battle simulator. In the interest of fairness, all combatants were assigned a random array of stats equally ranged from 1 to 5. The results of this simulation will be detailed in this thread. While artistic embellishment has been used, all events detailing within are exactly as they occurred in the simulation.

All characters encountered within are based on mafia players. However, the depictions of these characters are purely fictitious and hold no relation to the player they are based upon.

What would you do?

Would you kill?

Would you survive?

Would Mafia really be dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

##vote Rarity

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
team busb will win imo

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
team busb 4 lyfe

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I still have a sneaking suspicion the true villain is anime

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1. Waking Up on the Wrong Side of Bed

quote:

Player Profile
merk

Widely regarded as the best mafia player in the community, merk is nothing if not self-assured. No matter the situation merk believes he knows what is right and what is wrong. With an argumentative streak merk never backs down from a conflict but at the same time he is loyal to a fault and would fight to the ends of the earth to help his team. However, his reputation puts a target on his back and he knows it but if there's anyone who can carry such a burden, it's merk.

merk #063

The wind drifted quietly across the field leaving the grass to rustle in its wake. From across the horizon merk heard the faint sounds of birdsong. If the birds were shocked by the sudden announcement they gave no indication. Not that merk was shocked, of course. He didn't get shocked, not by anything, but he was certainly perturbed.

Well, this is a new one on me, he thought to himself. This wouldn't stand for long, he knew that much. What Lowtax was suggesting was illegal in every country on the planet. merk could have a field day with that in court. After he got out of here he probably would do. Getting out of here though, that was the first problem. One step at a time, he reminded himself, Don't run before you can walk.

The first step to getting back home was to figure out where he was now. A desert island, Lowtax had said. Scanning the horizon it certainly seemed like that was the truth. merk had woken in a field of fresh grass and soft earth. A hot sun beat down from a crisp blue sky above. To his left the ground rose into a series of rolling hills, to the right it dropped away to reach an ocean that extended as far as he could see. Looking straight ahead he could see the field end in a dense cluster of trees. No sign of civilization.

His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of movement behind him. He whirled around to find a figure approaching. Tall, thin, moving with an awkward gait. merk couldn't make out his features with the sun glaring into his eyes. He raised a hand to his face, trying to shield away the glare.

“merk!”

The voice was friendly and not unfamiliar. Yes, merk knew that voice. He felt it tugging at his memory. The man got closer and his face became clear. A warm smile, a rounded nose, eyes surrounded by the first hint of wrinkles. Face and form united as a name reached merk's lips. “zzyzx!” he replied, “So Lowtax got you too?”

“Looks like,” zzyzx shrugged. “Do you know what's going on?”

“Generally, yes. Specifically, no.”

zzyzx sighed at their situation. “Who else do you think he's taken?”

“Haven't thought about it yet.” He would do, in time. For now there were more important worries. Escape. Rescue. Getting the hell off this island. Any of the above would do. He looked around once more and a plan formulated in his mind. The shoreline to his right. Someone must have put him here somehow and by ship was the likeliest option. Get to the shore, circle round the island. He would have to run into something at some point, some sign of humanity. “You'll have to excuse me,” he told zzyzx, “I've got places to be.” He turned and began the trek. He hadn't got more than five steps when he heard zzyzx rushing up to join him.

“What are you doing?” merk asked.

“You've got a plan, I can tell,” zzyzx explained. “And if anyone's going to make their plan work it's you. I'm sticking right by your side. Y'know, if you'll have me.”

merk weighed the offer in his mind. This was a new situation. Who knew what problems he might come up against? Having someone to help out could come in handy.

“Very well,” he agreed, “It looks like we're in this together.”

He reached out his hand and zzyzx shook it with a firm grasp. The smile on his face had grown wider. “In this together.”

100 goons remaining

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oooohhhh erotic mafia fanfiction, I like where this is going

*Puts on his robe and wizard hat*

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
if possible let me kill infinitum

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
2. The Grandest of Plans

Somberbrero #085

“Hello! Is anyone there?”

The only response to Somber's call was an echo. Gritting his teeth, he continued clambering down the mountainside. He had awoken on a craggy outcrop about ten minutes ago, the initial confusion was quickly dissipated by Lowtax's ridiculous speech. The man had gone insane! Did he really expect them to turn on each other? For friend to turn against friend? Somber didn't know who else was out there but he knew there must be familiar faces. Their community was closely knit, they wouldn't stand for this.

“Can anyone hear me?” he called out again.

Nothing.

He shook his head in frustration. His friends were somewhere, he was sure of that. All he had to do was find them, get everyone together and then they could figure out how to get out of this mess. They had so many great minds, between them there was nothing they couldn't do. Somber wasn't a man of any particular faith but if there was anything he believed in, he believed in that.

“Hello! Is anyone near?”

Silence. No! What was that? Coming from a ways below.

“Here! I'm down here!”

The voice was faint but definitely there. Feeling a surge of adrenaline Somber hastened his descent, shouting all the way. The voice got louder as he neared the bottom of the mountain where rocks gave way to moss and dirt. He stumbled over a small outcrop and found the source of the noise, still screaming his head off and waving his arms in the air. “You can shut up now,” Somber said with a grin, “I found you.” Poque responded with a sigh of relief and ceased his efforts.

Somber gave his friend a smile and found it returned in kind. The pair looked around, taking in the full extent of their isolation. There must be more of them out there but for all it seemed they were the only two in the world. The silence extended further. Words refused to find their way out. All that worry about finding someone and Somber hadn't even thought about what he would do if he did.

“So...” Poque muttered. “How about them Broncos?”

Somber laughed unnaturally loud. He knew it wasn't that funny but the joke had relieved tension he hadn't noticed was there. “Yeah,” he replied, “I don't think their going to have a great season.”

“A better one than us by the looks of things. This is crazy, right? I'm not crazy for thinking this is crazy?”

“You're not crazy,” Somber reassured, “Though Lowtax's sanity is very much in doubt right now.”

“You mean it wasn't before?” Somber laughed again, it felt more normal this time. “What is he thinking,” Poque continued, “Expecting us to kill each other...” Poque trailed off, his eyes narrowing. “We're not going to kill each other, are we?” He took a slight step back.

“No! No, oh God, no!” Somber put his arms up in submission and Poque relaxed.

“Sorry about that, of course we're not.”

“Don't worry, we're on the same page here.”

“So what are we going to do?”

Somber racked his brain and realised there was already a plan in there. “We're going to find them,” he told Poque.

“Find who?”

“Everyone.”

100 goons remaining

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
3. Lucky For Some

Chili #024

A tree branch scratched at Chili's nose. It was every effort not to sneeze. Another was digging sharply into his ribs. His knees were aching on the hard dirt. These discomforts had to be accepted, there was no other choice. Turning his attention back to the scene in front of him Chili watched as the soldiers continued to unload supplies from the truck. One of them dropped a crate and his fellows laughed, making fun of him even as he picked it up. None of them seemed to care about the operation they were involved in, about the horror and grief that it promised. From his position in the bush Chili seethed with anger for them.

He had to admit he was lucky in a way to have woken where he did. Not the first time he'd woken up in a ditch on the side of a road but the first time it hadn't been preceded by a night of merriment. Still, better to be here than lost in the wilderness. After waking he'd followed the road for what he guessed was a mile until he ended up here, right on the outskirts of a compound filled with soldiers. Not that he knew if they were ascribed to any official military but when you saw men outfitted with body armour and assault rifles there wasn't much else you could call them.

At first Chili had simply watched and waited. It was as much from indecision as anything else. The soldiers were dangerous, the guns alone made that clear. He was sure if they knew he was there his life would be over within seconds. And yet, the soldiers were a reality. A clear and simple fact. The same couldn't be said for what lay beyond. Better the devil you know and all that. But then the truck had arrived and an idea began to form in Chili's mind. Now all he needed was to put it into action. He continued to wait.

The soldiers finished unloading the crates, flinging the back of the truck closed with a loud slam that made Chili flinch. Wait for it, he thought, Wait for your moment. They were starting to get distracted, evidently rushing to finish a job they didn't want to be doing. The driver's door still remained open, an inviting call that asked Chili to enter. Wait... Wait... Most of the time he felt guilty for his misspent youth but it was something he could never truly regret. Not when it taught you such useful skills as hotwiring a car. He supposed that a truck wouldn't be much different. The soldiers turned their backs, their attention gone.

Now.

He'd heard Lowtax's words and instantly knew one thing. For all his bluster and bravado he wasn't a killer. Life mattered. Even the worst of them. No, that was something he wouldn't do. But if he had transport he could drive down the road and take it wherever it lead. There had to be someone out there who could help, the police, the government, somebody. His feet raced across the tarmac, the door to the truck beckoned him onward, it pulled him in. So locked was his focus that he never heard the shouts of the soldiers as they spotted his move. He never saw them ready their guns. Not until the blood started running down his chest.

99 goons remaining

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Voting 5 in exchange for making it to the Final Five, ya dig?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
So long Chili

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
4. An Unhealthy Dose of Reality

quote:

Player Profile
Rarity

Smart, charming and devious, Rarity is always thinking two moves ahead and always has another plan in play. She's not suited for a fight and she knows it. Instead her chosen weapons are words. With just a turn of phrase she can turn foe into friend and enemy into ally. This skill is accompanied by a proven willingness to stab even her closest friend in the back. However, everybody knows her game. And when everyone knows what you're capable if you talk that surely means nobody would listen ...would they?

Rarity #079

This is quite the predicament, isn't it? Rarity groused about her fate as she wandered through the forest. One hundred goons in a battle to the death. My chances of survival are not looking good here. Not that I can blame Lowtax. God knows I've wished death on enough of these guys in my time. Think, girl. Think. There's got to be a way you can make it out of this one. Nothing came to mind. She had to face facts, when it came to a game of mafia she could mix it with the best of them but in this environment there was little she could do.

“I swear I passed this tree five minutes ago,” she said to herself, kicking out at its stump in frustration. Lost as well. That's the last thing I need.

“Who's there?”

Rarity jumped in shock. She'd thought she was alone. Someone could sneak up on me so easy. Think, godammit. You're not dying today. “It's Rarity,” she responded. Too late to run. Too late to pretend she wasn't there. “Who's that?”

“I shoulda known you'd be part of this clusterfuck.” A man emerged from behind a tree to her left. A man she recognised. And all of a sudden everything clicked into place. Rarity refused to let a smile form. That epiphany had to stay secret.

“TMMadman,” she greeted, “Fancy seeing you around here. You come here often?” He didn't laugh at the joke. It didn't matter, that wasn't the reason she'd made it.

“Have you seen anyone else?” Same old TM, always straight to the point. Oh well, better play nice.

“You're the first,” she replied, mirroring his serious tone. “You?”

“Same.”

“Right. So what's your plan?”

“I'm going to find others. Get a group together, work out how to get home. You can come if you want.”

“Ok, yeah,” she agreed, “Sure.” TM nodded in acceptance and turned away. Not so fast, mister. I wasn't finished. “But will it work?”

“Huh?” TM stopped and looked at her in confusion.

“Your plan. Will it work?”

“Someone will know what to do,” TM stated firmly. “Ecco, merk, Spiros. Somebody will have this poo poo figured out.”

“Yeah, I don't doubt it. Those guys are smart as gently caress. Loads of us are.” Well, a few.

“Then what's your issue?”

She stepped in close, breaching the distance between them. “What if when you find them they're already dead? What if when you find them they want to kill you?”

“Nobody's killing anyone!” TM's rebuttal was swift and firm.

Oh, denial. How sweet. Well, we can't be having that. “Do you really think that's true?”

“These are our friends we're talking about. People we care about. People who care about us.”

“And all that goes to poo poo when lives are on the line. Listen, if you think everyone's going to be happy sitting around a campfire singing kumbayas then power to you but we've all got lives to get back to. Reasons we want to go home.”

“We'll get home...” TM's response was slower this time, weaker.

“Yes, somebody will think of something. And how long do you think that will take? And in all that time do you think not a single person will start getting antsy, will start thinking that there's a quicker way to get back to where they need to be. All it takes is for one person to make that call and then it all goes up in flames and you can say goodbye to your hippie group of peace and love.”

“But to kill somebody? Who would do that...” He was actually thinking about it. She almost had him.

“Come on, we're a community based around playing games so we can fight each other.”

“Argue,” he corrected.

“Same thing. Lowtax wants us to kill each other. Hell, we were halfway there already before he even showed up.” She grabbed his head and forced him to look her straight in the eye. “TM, people are going to die. Let's make sure that none of them are us.” She fell silent, allowing the full weight of her words to sink in. His eyes dropped to the ground, unable to meet her gaze. Come on, she urged, You know I make sense. You know.

“...So what do you think we should do?”

It was harder to keep the smile from showing that time. “We still look for other people. Other friends. But we need to be prepared. There's going to be trouble.” TM nodded in agreement with her plan. She released his head from her grip and he set off with her one pace behind.

Yes, she thought, There's going to be trouble. Even if I have to start it.

99 goons remaining

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
5. Drifting Away

jon joe

This was a bad idea, jon joe thought to himself. This was a really bad idea. Still, nothing to do but go through with it, now. His hands cut through the water. His feet kicked with as much strength as his draining energy could allow. Waves chopped around him sending small spurts of salty water down his throat every time he broke through one, hoping each would be the last but inevitably finding another. The weight of his clothes dragged him down, a constant battle that sapped as much of him as the swimming. They were near other islands, Lowtax had said. That meant all he had to do was swim in a direction and he would find one eventually. It was all so simple. He'd woken on the beach anyway. His vision was starting to fade, his mind growing muggy. This was a really, really bad idea. Turn around. Yes, that was sensible. Head back to shore. He couldn't have gone far.

“Huh.”

The island sat mockingly in the distance, separated from him by large swathes of ocean. Oh, he thought. Well, then. His head dropped below the water, eyes going dark as the current pulled him to the depths.

98 goons remaining

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

TMM not immediately getting into a massive argument? Immersion ruined.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rarity you have a lot of extra time...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
6. The Root of All Evil

quote:

Player Profile
Mills

Wealthy beyond measure, Mills lives a life of privilege of which most can only dream. Fast cars, loose women, low morals, these are just some of the pleasures with which he fills his time. He believes that he has worked hard to find himself in the position he is in and looks down on others for not being able to achieve the same level of success. With undeniable confidence there is nothing that shakes him. After all, he knows all too well that anybody can be bought.

Allen Wren #004

The soothing water ran down Allen's throat and he swallowed it gratefully. Cupping his hands, he stuck them in the river and brought out a pool which he poured over his face. He wondered what everyone else was doing. Running around like headless chicken, most likely. Trying to find their friends. Getting into who knows what kind of trouble. None of that for him, thank you very much. No, he was happy to just sit and wait for this whole thing to be sorted out. He had fresh water, he had a warm summer's day, no need for kicking up a fuss. He bent down to get another drink.

“Excuse me, peasant,” a voice said. “What do you think you're doing with my water?”

Oh gently caress. Not him. Allen turned around to face his new companion.

“My taxes pay for that water,” Mills continued, “I'd thank you if you kept your dirty hands out of it.”

“I'm not sure that's how it works...” Allen muttered. All he'd wanted was to be left alone.

“It works how I say it works. Now, excuse me.” Despite himself Allen allowed himself to be pushed aside so that Mills could take in a long, cool drink. “Ah,” he sighed, “That really hits the spot. You found this?” He didn't wait for confirmation. “You didn't gently caress up, well done. Now listen up, this works one of two ways. As much as you might not want to believe me, only one person is getting off this island alive and that person is going to be me. We all know I'm the only one here with a life that actually matters. And that leaves you with two options.”

Allen looked at Mills blankly. Did he really believe the things he was saying? “What are my options?” he asked.

“I'm taking this all the way to the end,” Mills explained, “But like any celebrity I'm going to need an entourage. So this is a one time offer for you to roll in my crew and do everything you can to assure that I emerge victorious. I will pay handsomely if you take this position, I believe good work should be rewarded. Of course, if you don't join up I'm going to kill you right here and now.”

“Right,” Allen replied, “So if I join your entourage you won't kill me?”

“Oh, I'll still kill you. I'll just kill you last.”

Allen weighed the offer up in his mind. Mills hadn't left him with much of a choice. “How much pay are we talking?”

“How much do you want?”

98 goons remaining

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Hi.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
This is truly the final form of mafia.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
You had to go and outdo me huh Rarity

(great stuff)

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

My stats aren't all fives?! Impossible!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Paste a map etc.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
7. Too Old For This poo poo

Somberbrero #085
Poque #074

“Stop it.”

“If you wanted me to stop then all you had to do was ash.” Somber sighed. Poque had use the transition from mountain to woodland to launch into a series of tree puns.

“Stop it.”

“What's the problem? Everything's pine!”

“Stop it!”

“Ok, ok...”

“Than-”

“I don't want to make you sycamore.” Somber screamed.

“You better do what the man says, son.” The two of them stopped dead in their tracks. That voice belonged to neither man, it was far too gruff and crochety. “If you keep up those darn puns I might have to kill you myself and considering where we are right now you know that ain't no idle threat.” Somber turned around to find an older man close on their heels. His hair was going grey at the temples, his skin was lined and withered yet he still carried himself with an air of energy.

“Grandicap!” Somber exclaimed, “You're all right!”

“No thanks to this one,” he replied. Poque smiled sheepishly and apologised.

“Where have you been?”

“Following you young rascals for the last little while. I wasn't sure if you were on the level at first but with the way you two are going on I'd say you're the trustable sort.”

“Sounds like you're someone who's looking to trust,” Poque interjected.

Grandicap sighed and held his arms up openly. “Son, I've seen too many fights in my time. Ain't not a one of them that was worth it. If anyone a mite smarter than me has got a better alternative then I'm of a mind to listen. What's the agenda?”

“We're going to get everyone together,” Somber explained, “Sit down in a group and work out a way off this island. A way to escape or, I dunno, to fight back or something.” Now that he was having to sell it it didn't sound quite as strong as it had in his head. He quailed under Grandicap's thoughtful stare. “I was kinda focusing on the first part.”

“Only fools do otherwise, my boy.” He gave Somber a warm pat on the shoulder. “No use in riding the horse afore it's saddled.”

“People do that though,” Poque interrupted. They both turned to stare at him. “People do that,” he explained, “It's called riding bareback.”

“It's just a metaphor! Kids today, always taking everything so darn literal. Why back when I was a nipper we respected our elders and didn't talk back.”

“It still is your day, Grandi,” Somber said, soothing him with a pat of his own. “Now let's get moving. If you can keep up that is.” He and Poque both laughed at Grandicap's ensuing grumbles. All of a sudden Somber was feeling a rush to the head. Winning Grandicap over had filled him with confidence. Maybe they actually could pull this off.

98 goons remaining

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
8. A Positive Response

yuming #099

“Hello, Mr. Squirrel!” yuming said brightly, “I hope you're having a fine day today! Mrs. Fieldmouse, does the grass taste well for you? Oh, Mr. Butterfly, your wings are looking especially colourful!” Her voice trailed off. The animals didn't respond. “It is a nice day,” she stated. The shine had gone from her voice.

yuming sighed. She was trying, she really was. It was so important to stay positive. But she just had so many feelings and she needed to feel those feelings because they needed to be felt and then she could feel other feelings, nicer feelings, and put these feelings somewhere deep down tight where they couldn't be felt. Yes, all sorts of feelings.

“Everything is fudged up!”

She gasped in horror at her own bad language. “Sorry, Mr. Squirrel! Please excuse my manners!” Still, if there was anything that called for dirty words it was her current situation. Take a deep breath. Stay calm. “Lowtax wants us to kill each other.” There. Like tearing off a plaster. Get it said, make it real. It didn't make it any less awful. Nobody should kill anyone. She had many, many feelings about that in particular.

All of a sudden she heard the sound of a scuffle nearby. No! No killing! She was very adamant about that part. She had to stop them! Rushing through the field she pushed through a thick bush and found two people rolling around on the ground. They were both male, young enough to be on the verging edge of adulthood.

“What do you think you're doing?” she admonished them, jumping in between them to pull the pair apart, “This is bad! Don't be bad!” She managed to wriggle one of them away and shoved him aside. With their conflict interrupted in the heat of the moment, the two of them stood and took in the newcomer with surprise. Now that she had space to breathe she recognised the pair. Hiipfire and Infinitum. “Are we going to allow Lowtax to win so easily? Is our bond of community so easily broken? Does it take this little to push us to kill each other?”

“Kill him?” Infinitum asked, looking confused. “I wasn't going to kill him.”

“Um...” Now it was yuming's turn to look confused.

“He called me a doo-doo head!”

“You are a doo-doo head!” Hiipfire retorted.

“And you're a farty pants!”

Sensing the fight was about to respark yuming jumped back in between them. “Friends, friends,” she soothed, “We can be both doo-doo heads and farty pantses. In this world there is room for love for all. Why be enemies when can be farty doo-doos together?” She looked at both of them in expectation.

“...I guess,” Hiipfire agreed.

“Sure,” Infinitum shrugged.

That was the best she was likely to get. yuming breathed a sigh of relief and congratulated herself for such a succinct expression of her feelings.

“So now what do we do?” Hiipfire asked.

“There's more of us out there,” she replied, “We have to find them.” Indeed they did. She had so many feelings to share.

98 goons remaining

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good lord you prewrote all this?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Please send me a copy of the novel

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
This is going to be great.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
9. The Pieces of the Puzzle

quote:

Player Profile
PBS Newshour

Despite being largely incomprehensible PBS has proven time and again that he is a dangerous player of any game. With a mind that works in mysterious ways, he can take any problem and break it down into pieces that no one else can understand. Full of creativity and a mad touch of genius, his biggest problem is his struggle to be understood. But if he can convince others that his path is the correct one, he has every chance of victory.

PBS Newshour #070

So many pieces. Fit them together. Find the link, find the key. It's a puzzle. Just a puzzle. Always a puzzle. Kill. Murder. Assassinate. To be bad or not to be bad. Where does the difference lie? Bad is good. Good is bad. Or maybe bad is bad? Need more information. Oh baby. Find the key. Lock the door. No, the door is locked. Of course the door is locked. Stupid mistake, cross is out, underline. Erase the last. Unlock the door, open the key. No key. Find the key. Solve the puzzle. Do the needful. Oh baby. But what about the pieces? We need to look at the pieces. Save them all? Can it be done? That's the puzzle! The puzzle was find the puzzle. Then it fell apart. Now we're getting somewhere. Where's the key? Have to save all the pieces. Wait. ...Are we the puzzle? Am I the puzzle? I'm a puzzle but am I the puzzle? No. That puzzle can't be solved. Back to the pieces. It fell apart. I have no pieces. Can't use the key without the pieces. Can't use pieces without the key. It's all wrapped into one. Puzzle. Conundrum. Enigma. Extreme ways are coming back again. Fit the pieces together and the puzzle will be solved. Too many pieces. Some are lost. Some don't fit. Come from a different puzzle. All been mixed together. Have to make the connection. Find the right pieces. Find all the right pieces and use the key. Where is the key? It's all gone missing. All fallen apart. Piece it back together. We are the pieces. We are the puzzle. Piece it together. Piece us together. All wrapped into one. Fit us together. Find the key. Finish the puzzle. All of us together. I see it. I see the key. All the pieces fit.

PBS opened his eyes and smiled.

“We are one.”

98 goons remaining

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Get to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I like the capps one a lot

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
10. With Great Power

merk #063
zzyzx #100

“I'm not sure this is going to work.” zzyzx kicked the sand over idly as they made their way along the shoreline. It had taken them about thirty minutes to make their way down to the beach then about an hour or more had been spent tracking the course of the shoreline. In all that time they hadn't seen a single other sign of life. No sign of a friendly face, no sign of their captor, no sign of any earlier life this island had sustained. The monotony was starting to get to zzyzx.

“Relax,” merk replied, “I expect we've barely made it a quarter way around this island. This must be a large place.”

“How can you tell?” zzyzx asked. He felt disgruntled. Why did merk always have to have the answers?

“The sun's not moved. We're still heading eastwards. Come on.” He picked up the pace and zzyzx rushed to keep up with him.

“Maybe it's not an island. Maybe Lowtax was lying.”

merk shook his head. “It's an island.”

“Why are you so sure?”

“If Lowtax was lying then that would be because he'd left open some kind of weakness we could exploit if we found it he wasn't on an island. If he knew he'd left open some kind of weakness then he would make drat sure that he was on an island.”

“I guess that make sense but...”

“Hold up.” merk put a hand up for emphasis. “Do you see that? In the distance?” zzyzx followed the direction of merk's gesture and saw someone lying face down in the sand. There were no signs of movement. The two men exchanged worried glances, considered the scene and raced towards the body at a canter. Had the killing started? Had one of their own turned so easily? Fears tore through zzyzx's mind.

merk beat him to the body by a matter of seconds. He placed his hands on its shoulders and began to turn it when the body grunted and slapped them away.

“I'm try'n a sleep...” the man grumbled.

“Who is that?” zzyzx asked but merk shushed him and shook the man's shoulders vigorously. The man stretched out, rolled over and spotted the two concerned faces above him.

“Oh, merk,” he said, “What's the hubbub, bub?”

“Mags!” merk exclaimed, slapping him sharply, “What were you doing? We thought you were dead!”

“Dead? Me? Pfft. I was just catching a few z's.”

“What?”

“It's a beautiful day. Can't a fella work on his tan without being questioned?”

“But what about everything that's going on?”

“Oh, that,” Mags replied, “I figured someone like you would show up at some point and lead us all to safety. And here you are! So I guess my plan worked.” merk's face was frozen in an incredulous pose. “Right, suppose we're going to need to get moving. Where are we going, boss?”

“So you're coming with us, are you?”

“Course. If poo poo kicks off then safest place to be is going to be right by your side. I'm not letting you out of my sight.”

merk sighed and glanced over at zzyzx. This wasn't what he had had in mind. One companion he could handle, they could look out for each other, but if everyone wanted to join them... If everyone was expecting him to look after them and keep them safe... Sure, he was good. He was very good, even. But nobody was that good. He had to look out for him and zzyzx, put the two of them first. This fire needed to be kicked out before it got too powerful.

“Fine,” he heard himself saying, “Just don't slow us down.”

Bugger.

98 goons remaining

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
:f5:

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Rarity posted:

9. The Pieces of the Puzzle

PBS Newshour #070

Extreme ways

:v:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Where Meinberg???

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

oh they've been about an hour apart

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Rurea posted:

oh they've been about an hour apart

While rarity is slacking I guess I'll work on wrestling since I have been slacking on it all week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
11. Unexpected

DuckHuntDog #030

Seven years of high school physics. DHD counted off each year in his head. Four years of an electrical engineering degree. He ticked each of those off as well. Five years of tech support. Twelve years in the mechanical R&D department. And one really lovely VCR. Come on learnings, don't fail me now. He twisted the green wire out of its casing and began to take it apart.

He still remembered what it had been like to wake up, to hear Lowtax's voice as he mocked them all. So loud it had been, as if it was coming from somewhere very nearby. DHD knew it must have been a hidden megaphone. It had taken a couple of hours of searching but he'd found it, dug halfway into a mossy crop of rock. Most people would have thought it a needless find. It was just a megaphone. But to DHD it was so much more. It was wires, it was speakers, it was a microphone, it was power. To someone like him it was everything he needed to make a short wave radio.

Almost there... Almost there... Got it! The last wire clipped into place and the speakers sprang into life, disturbing the peaceful countryside with the buzz of static. “Hello,” he called out, speaking into the mic, “Is anybody listening?” Static was the only response. “Hello!” he repeated, adjusting the frequency. “Is anyone there?” A faint voice came through, still covered by the buzzing. He tweaked the frequency further. “Hello, are you there?”

“Yes, I'm here,” the voice responded. DHD collapsed in relief.

“You need to help us! Me and my friends, we've been kidnapped by this man and he's gone crazy! He wants us to kill each other! I managed to make this radio but I don't know where we are we need to be rescued! Can you-”

“You know,” the voice interrupted, “I really don't like it when people play with my stuff.”

DHD felt a pit form in his stomach. He raised the radio to his mouth. “Who is this?”

“You really should be commended,” Lowtax replied, “I expected you lot try a whole bunch of things but I didn't expect this. You managed to surprise me. Well done. I'm rating five, go hog wild.” DHD tried to respond but all he could find inside him was silence. “Of course, just because I didn't expect it doesn't mean I didn't plan for it. I mean, come on. This isn't amateur hour. I feel like this juncture would be a good time to point out that all my electronics on this island are rigged with plastic explosives in the event that someone decides to get a bit too hands-on. Oh, you probably hadn't thought of that, had you? Yeesh, sucks to be you, buddy. Ah well, at least you won't need to worry about that in three seconds time. Toodles!”

Lowtax's words ran through DHD's mind. The shock was too much to take them in. Amateur hour. Plastic explosives. Three seconds. Three seconds! He turned to run as his world exploded.

97 goons remaining

• Locked thread