Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
Problem description: so, i recently did a total rebuild of my personal PC- new GPU, CPU, RAM, motherboard- the only thing that came along was the drives. ever since the rebuild i've been having some problems with day to day stuff- video playback is choppy, and when tabbing out of netflix/youtube during video playback into say, hexchat, the window i'm tabbing into takes a full two seconds to draw.

i also seem to be getting some choppiness in games as well- even though i'm not dropping fps, everything seems choppy. my refresh rate is set to what it should be in windows and in any games that allow the user to specify their refresh rate. occasionally my graphics driver will also crash/recover in-game.

Attempted fixes: complete and total reinstall of windows 7, steam, chrome, any/all games, GPU drivers, silverlight/flash, etc.

Recent changes: as said before, a total rebuild with the exception of the drives.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Professional x64

System specs: Asus X99-Deluxe, i7-5960X, 16GB DDR4-2400, 750W PSU, WD Black HDD, Sandisk Extreme II, Samsung 840 EVO, GTX 980Ti

I have Googled and read the FAQ: of course :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Do a scan with the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health: http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

Make sure you're using the latest motherboard BIOS: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99DELUXE/HelpDesk_Download/

What kind of PSU are you using and how old is it?

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Good suggestions in the post above me.

Just to make sure, when you did a complete windows reinstall have you verified that in device manager every driver appears healthy? No scary yellow exclamation points or red Xs? You could also try re-creating your windows 7 install media, like redownloading the media creation tool and then burning a new dvd or creating a new usb installer.

It is entirely possible that you have a hardware defect. Are you able to try the video card in a different system or try a different video card in this system? Every symptom you mention sounds like a display device thing so assuming you have the correct video card driver installed and windows ain't broken, video card is a reasonable thing to check.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
will check out all of these as soon as i get a chance (work :kingsley:)

• Locked thread