Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Small Strange Bird posted:

Ryan goes OTT with her take on the Doctor, but it's a comedy episode and she's having a great time (both as Doc/Seven and regular Seven every time she goes back to normal and is outraged/appalled at whatever he's been doing - you know the gif) so she absolutely gets away with it.

Plus it's the episode where it's made canonical that Harry stinks.

Hey, it's been a long day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Non Compos Mentis posted:

the federations most cancelled comedian has an offensive character of every federation race

the comedian is human
(hands cupped around ears) hoo, but theriouthly, folkth, femaleth, right?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
His name is Joe Piscopo.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Data asked the computer for a hilarious comedian and for Joe piscapo. Glad to see that even hundreds of years from now, AI is still worthless for answering basic questions

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

Data asked the computer for a hilarious comedian and for Joe piscapo. Glad to see that even hundreds of years from now, AI is still worthless for answering basic questions

What if the computer understands humor innately and that's why it gave Data Joe Piscopo?

The computer gave Data the ol' Wimp Lo.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
watched the first episode of enterprise the other day and, man, humans are giving vulcans poo poo about their feelings like 100% of the time. every human gotta be like "oh drat looks like you're having an emotion right now" with a poo poo eating grin

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Lazy_Liberal posted:

watched the first episode of enterprise the other day and, man, humans are giving vulcans poo poo about their feelings like 100% of the time. every human gotta be like "oh drat looks like you're having an emotion right now" with a poo poo eating grin

Humans in enterprise are just American tourists

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Gutcruncher posted:

Humans in enterprise are just American tourists

they make a whole aside in the first episode about NOT loving THE ALIENS and the human men are clearly going to

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Gutcruncher posted:

For 300 years AI development has been focused mostly on table and table related requests. It's not very good for anything else, but if you ask it for a table, it's going to analyze the context of the situation and the preferences of the person making the request and it's going to give you the precise torture rack you were envisioning, second try.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It should have spit out Andrew Dice Clay for Data to learn from.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

It should have spit out Andrew Dice Clay for Data to learn from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLpAGVwMRok

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mulaney Power Move posted:

We're just assuming the Bajoran concept of a spoon is the same as humans. It could mean something totally different. It could be derogatory in a strange alien way we can't even comprehend.

"Fuckin' spoonhead"

"That's not so ba-"

"Like- like a hasperat spoon!"

"Holy Prophets, dude, you kiss your Vedic with that pah?"

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Smug contempt is an emotion and Vulcans deserve to be called out for it.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

zefram cochrane blasting the first vulcan he sees with a shotgun in the dark mirror universe episode is a good bit

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

"Fuckin' spoonhead"

"That's not so ba-"

Bajorans don't have poop knives, they have poop spoons. THAT'S how much they hate the bloody Cardies!

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

Space Jam posted:

zefram cochrane blasting the first vulcan he sees with a shotgun in the dark mirror universe episode is a good bit

And pretty much what would happen if we continued this timeline. :garak:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Brawnfire posted:

"Fuckin' spoonhead"

"That's not so ba-"

"Non emotional boo"

- The Vulcan in the crowd

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ryan goes OTT with her take on the Doctor, but it's a comedy episode and she's having a great time (both as Doc/Seven and regular Seven every time she goes back to normal and is outraged/appalled at whatever he's been doing - you know the gif) so she absolutely gets away with it.

Camp is good when it's good.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

For as much of a blatant ratings play as it is, Voyager does some cool stuff expanding the Borg. Maybe it takes some of the mystique away but I feel like they were gonna do that with time regardless.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TheKingslayer posted:

For as much of a blatant ratings play as it is, Voyager does some cool stuff expanding the Borg. Maybe it takes some of the mystique away but I feel like they were gonna do that with time regardless.
They really jumped the shark with the Borg in 'Unimatrix Zero', when three of the bridge officers deliberately get assimilated and there are no lasting consequences from any of that

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Negative, the Borg as a concept jumped the shark in First Contact. A Queen destroys the every essence of the Borg, everything else is just Weekend at Bernie's-ing the corpse of the concept.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I think it's a little ways after that one, but there's also an episode that's functionally a round of Space Station 13 or Among Us, with the Doctor frantically trying not to get caught out Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mycomancy posted:

Negative, the Borg as a concept jumped the shark in First Contact. A Queen destroys the every essence of the Borg, everything else is just Weekend at Bernie's-ing the corpse of the concept.

lol the Borg were "ruined" as a concept on TNG, with Hue.

Basically, pretty much the moment they introduced the Borg, the writers worked to come down from that initial representation. Personalize them. Humanize them. Make them better for TV basically.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

redshirt posted:

Certainly colored them differently

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

redshirt posted:

Basically, pretty much the moment they introduced the Borg, the writers worked to come down from that initial representation. Personalize them. Humanize them. Make them better for TV basically.

Not changing them would have been weird too. In the beginning they were like a natural disaster -- you can't reason with it, you can't negotiate with it, all you can do is evacuate or wait for it to pass. Which would either be boring or too dark for TNG if the borg kept coming back like that every couple years.

One of the thing Voyager did with them that I liked was that the Borg didn't try to assimilate everyone within reach. They wanted tech and biology, but at some point they would have enough samples from a given civilization and go away for a while. They'd swing by once in a generation to take another harvest. You could try to make your people boring to them by not developing any new tech at all.
If you go back to a subsistence farming society they won't come so often.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

In fairness it is pretty hard to stick to the original concept of "massive invincible brick wall that cannot be reasoned with or beaten" We had a fantastic episode about finding all this out and running the gently caress away in the opposite direction, but if you want to keep the concept pure, what other stories can you really tell? You either run away or it wins... suggestions welcome

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Borg were never ruined and were never particularly more interesting than any other Star Trek race, they were just different every time

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Not changing them would have been weird too. In the beginning they were like a natural disaster -- you can't reason with it, you can't negotiate with it, all you can do is evacuate or wait for it to pass. Which would either be boring or too dark for TNG if the borg kept coming back like that every couple years.

One of the thing Voyager did with them that I liked was that the Borg didn't try to assimilate everyone within reach. They wanted tech and biology, but at some point they would have enough samples from a given civilization and go away for a while. They'd swing by once in a generation to take another harvest. You could try to make your people boring to them by not developing any new tech at all.

Agreed. I did like how Voyager handled them for the most part.

I was just pointing out this concept of "The Borg" we all seemingly share only lasted for a couple of episodes, tops. Everything after was some elaboration of the idea. Like you said, it's more interesting (I suppose) from a character development side, but it does do away with that original concept pretty quickly.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

IMO, being an invincible terror is not the core of the Borg. The core of the Borg is that they are the dark mirror of Starfleet. They are diverse species joined in unified purpose whose greatest strength is the ability to adapt to changing circumstances. They can't be defeated with diplomacy. A Borg Cube is a weaponized deflector dish writ large. You can beat them. Starfleet got beat lots of times. But they always come back for another go and this time they're ready for whatever clever plan you had last time.

The Queen is the problem. She kills everything narratively interesting about the Borg, turning them into the replaceable henchmen of a not particularly clever supervillain, chanting 'Resistance is Futile' because its their official catchphrase. They've long forgotten the other parts of that speech.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Certainly colored them differently

Course, by the end of Voyager they'd been oversaturated and lost their value

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I hated the queen. The whole idea stinks and the character seemed cheap, unnecessarily dramatic and cruel for a species that is all about efficiency.

When Janeway offered , whatever the hell it was maybe a cure to the virus or whatever, for safe passage that made sense in the context of borg as a way to interact with them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Even early on they were only taking out isolated colonies and there's that cool shot of them ripping out a representative slice of the Enterprise. Either way, it's more interesting than them being mindless zombies that break the door down and bite you and now you're a zombie.

There's also the intense stupidity in First Contact where apparently Borg have zero situational awareness and as long as unassimilated folks aren't actively shooting at them they don't care about them at all. Which I guess is yet another zombie-like attribute that doesn't make any sense.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

John Murdoch posted:

There's also the intense stupidity in First Contact where apparently Borg have zero situational awareness and as long as unassimilated folks aren't actively shooting at them they don't care about them at all. Which I guess is yet another zombie-like attribute that doesn't make any sense.

The Borg just ignoring people until they decide it's time to care, has been a thing since Best of Both Worlds. It's a bit sillier in First Contact but it's pretty much always been a thing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

The Borg just ignoring people until they decide it's time to care, has been a thing since Best of Both Worlds. It's a bit sillier in First Contact but it's pretty much always been a thing.

Indeed. That's one of the cool things I like about Borg. They don't care unless you are impeding their specific task.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You'd have thought they'd have assimilated some fricking tactical situational awareness when invaders start popping up on the cube but I guess you could handwave it away as word never got back to the collective from cubes that got destroyed; the connection between 'harmless' sophonts strolling around the place and the resultant cascade failures never got propagated back through the collective consciousness.

Did they ever explain that some cubes were able to filter out Hugh's 'poisonous' thoughts and that's why we still have traditional Borg running around? Or can we assume (ugh) the Queen did that?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The Borg weigh the effort of dealing with you against the amount of trouble you're causing and try to respond with just as much force as needed.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I hated the queen. The whole idea stinks and the character seemed cheap, unnecessarily dramatic and cruel for a species that is all about efficiency.

When Janeway offered , whatever the hell it was maybe a cure to the virus or whatever, for safe passage that made sense in the context of borg as a way to interact with them.

Scorpion was a great Borg episode and really did a good job keeping what was interesting and scary about them. Every voyager appearance after that though? :fart:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I haven't seen it in a long time, but I remember really liking Voyager's take on the Borg in the episode "Unity". And I think it was the first Voyager Borg episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Dabir posted:

Course, by the end of Voyager they'd been oversaturated and lost their value

drat it, I was totally about to do this exact joke. :)