Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
God made Adam and Eve not Gleepglarp and Skleev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Champenema posted:

Doesn't matter even if there's a whole buttload of civilizations out there, since no one's actually called us or probed anyone or anything it's safe to assume no one's discovered the one weird trick to get from point A to point B.

Going real loving fast just ain't gonna cut it, and that a fact, Jack.

You just need a magnetic drive to get to true north and then 2 discs in traction capable of applying torque clockwise or counter-clockwise. Jeez it's not hard guys. :shrug:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Otisburg posted:

Real posting in GBS: If we really want to bridge the gulf of not only space but also time that separates us from other intelligences, we need to accept that our artificial offspring are basically what carries our legacy out into the stars and into the eons. If we ever make first contact, it will be with another race that may be extinct biologically, but had the same idea.

Too bad robots don't have souls, fuckface.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

dog buttz posted:

I've always thought that it was weird when christians claim that there are no aliens. Like yep, an eternal, omniscient, and omnipotent god is going to be satisfied with a finite amount of people doing boring poo poo for what amounts to a blink of an eye to it.

I overheard a kid back in high school say that "Even if aliens are real, we are still superior, because God made us in his own image."

Sure, tell the alien overlord you are better than him because of a primitive earth religion. What could possibly go wrong?

This was the same kid who argued with a biology teacher over men having the same amount of ribs as women.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ive heard word of socaled 'moon crickets'

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Orkin Mang posted:

ive heard word of socaled 'moon crickets'

NO YOU HAVENT! IT IS WEATHER BALLOONS! :tinfoil:

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Dreddout posted:

I overheard a kid back in high school say that "Even if aliens are real, we are still superior, because God made us in his own image."

Sure, tell the alien overlord you are better than him because of a primitive earth religion. What could possibly go wrong?

This was the same kid who argued with a biology teacher over men having the same amount of ribs as women.

JiveHonky posted:

God made Adam and Eve not Gleepglarp and Skleev

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

The Whole Internet posted:

That last bullet point involving time has some teeth to it. According to our current understanding, we are early-birds in the universe. We are not even a tenth of a percent into the time period during which this universe will support life. The vast majority of star systems that will support habitable planets in just our own galaxy have yet to be created.

While that still leaves billions of years before us and a huge host of planets that should have supported complex life even earlier, it could be that the rate that abiogenesis occurs and the rate that sentient spacefaring civilizations develop out of bacterial life are low enough to explain why nobody's knocking on our door yet.

afaik we were mid-way through the period where life could be supported, unless that was irt the earth and the lifetime of the sun

or there could be some hunter-killer species snuffing out other sentient life for the hell of it :tinfoil:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Cnut the Great posted:

Too bad robots don't have souls, fuckface.

excuse me? :catbert::psylon:

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
in all honesty there would be very little reason to not snuff out alien life regardless of it's sentience what do i benefit by setting up a trade agreement with the slugnoids or whatever

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
deploy some lethal earthborne pathogens and then take all of their poo poo

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

counterpoint, humans have nothing worth taking

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

counterpoint, humans have nothing worth taking

who cares kill them anyway

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
even if you dont want their lovely planet or ipods whatever just blast it anyways because you can

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
perhaps conscious life is the source of being and the abstract mathematical structure we call reality is naught but the transfinite appearance of infinite intelligibility to finite mondas

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
imagine a tentacle face man trying to elucidate on their bullshit or whatever or ask you to watch some space youtube of a fat version of them falling down tell me you arent wanting to purge

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shaquin posted:

imagine a tentacle face man trying to elucidate on their bullshit or whatever or ask you to watch some space youtube of a fat version of them falling down tell me you arent wanting to purge

my house smells like rotting garbage

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

you think aliens have ever seen the picture of the pig who pooped on his own balls

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
"let me tell you about slugnoid israel/palestine..."

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Leave the Slugnoids alone! (Ready the salt cannons)

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

counterpoint, leaving your planet is a waste when you can chillax with virtual reality

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Orkin Mang posted:

perhaps conscious life is the source of being and the abstract mathematical structure we call reality is naught but the transfinite appearance of infinite intelligibility to finite mondas

Nope, I'm afraid not, friend. Nice try though. :smuggo:

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
"My seventh circle brood-wife is a real pain in the husk..."

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

just in case there is any aliens reading this thread.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Jeff Dunham but chromeish teal and he has eye stalks and speaks out of a series of contrabassoon sounding sphincter like openings and all of his puppets are genetically engineered dwarf versions of aliens his people like to eat

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
We're out in the boonies are far as our local group goes. Maybe there aren't a lot of attractions around here. We're just like those kids who grow up in lame suburbs who have nothing to do and everybody else is laughing, having a good time in the crowded party clusters. Sometimes they shoot gamma rays at us for fun.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Orkin Mang posted:

i like you

there's more to you than meets the eye

like transformers

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Shaquin posted:

in all honesty there would be very little reason to not snuff out alien life regardless of it's sentience what do i benefit by setting up a trade agreement with the slugnoids or whatever

thats why you play a protection racket with the slugnoids; they give you spice or else they get the loving salt

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

some nice mucous you have there slugnoid, it would be a real shame if it happened to get salted if you catch my meaning....

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

JiveHonky posted:

lol of course not u stupid idiots

Ellen DeGenerate

Matthew 10:14-15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb3AFMe2OQY

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 24, 2016

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Ahundredbux posted:

can you summarize it

Blindsight is a book written by a suicidal depressed author about how vampires are real and also autistic and also rule the world. There are also weird starfish aliens and they are also autistic. The central theme of the story is dehumanize yourself and face to autism, then kill you're self. Everyone dies, even those who live, death is certain.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Orkin Mang posted:

Don't be a oval office, conscious life patterns are clearly abstract static mathematical structure embedded in greater mathematical structures that exist because existence is how self-consistency feels from the inside. It's pure hubris to assume just because your present brain state seems more complex than the mathematical object '2' that it possesses any more cosmological significance.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Blindsight is a book written by a suicidal depressed author about how vampires are real and also autistic and also rule the world. There are also weird starfish aliens and they are also autistic. The central theme of the story is dehumanize yourself and face to autism, then kill you're self. Everyone dies, even those who live, death is certain.

Sounds like a good time my friend

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
humans are pretty retarded so i doubt there is anything intelligent here, or out there

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
The image quality on this gets worse and worse every time I see it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

chaosbreather posted:

Don't be a oval office, conscious life patterns are clearly abstract static mathematical structure embedded in greater mathematical structures that exist because existence is how self-consistency feels from the inside. It's pure hubris to assume just because your present brain state seems more complex than the mathematical object '2' that it possesses any more cosmological significance.

nuh uh, math is just a logical structure invented by my mind universe to amuse itself. it has no important connection to conscious thought, which is the first and only thing that exists

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Rutibex posted:

nuh uh, math is just a logical structure invented by my mind universe to amuse itself. it has no important connection to conscious thought, which is the first and only thing that exists

So you claim that maths has no connection to thought directly after claiming your thought created maths, for itself.

Beyond that incoherence, you expose your ignorance. Mathematics is not mere algebra, it is the atoms of pattern and structure itself. How could you have any thought without structure, least of all a thought that would have to be the source of all structure? How could you form that thought creating mathematics without mathematics by which to form it?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Please save us, aliens.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Zombie Boat posted:

Please end us, aliens.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

chaosbreather posted:

i hope everyone dies

• Locked thread