Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

What is the difference between a Job and a Score? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Score was what they did in the first episode of the Ross campaign and that one didn't have a negotiation phase.

I'm sure Ross or Caleb will be along with a more authoritative answer, but it sounded like a Job is a third party contracting you to perform some task (hence negotiating the price), and a Score is your group figuring out some treasurelike source of profit on their own and taking steps to obtain it (which, based on comments in the latest Brutalists episode, sounds like the players brainstorm attributes and then the GM extrapolates?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Jobs are services performed for NPC clients with negotiable fees.

Scores are goods salvaged from the Loss and sold to a wholesaler. There are multiple ways to generate scores but we have focused on collaborative score creation, where players and the GM talk about things they would like to scavenge and where these could be found. The rules were inspired by things like city creation in Dresden Files and Base creation in Base Raiders.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
Job: Someone hires the Takers to perform a task. GM writes an adventure and the players run with it.
Score: The Takers go out to retrieve something of value that they know about, without a third party hiring them to do it. The players come up with a scenario and the GM puts obstacles and complications in the way.

... Didn't notice there was another page when I posted this.

So, there's a story framework you see from time to time. "Gather what you can and keep going till you run out." Basically Oregon Trail with less hope.
I think the Profit system would work great for stories/games not about maintaining life in place, but trying to complete a hard journey in the face of dwindling resources.

•A bronze age family trapped on a boat with their insane patriarch. Though the voice he hears was right about the rains...
•A family betting everything that they can, with 4 mules and 30 grandfather clocks, reach a better life in the west.
•Interstellar travelers in an ark ship; carefully spending what they have to hold the crew and passengers lives and sanity together.
•A group of random people, in a city overrun by cannibals that scream apologies and beg for death as they chase and kill. Staying here is death, and the best chance they have is to chase a rumor about a bunch of people holed up in a college.
•One man, far from civilization, who's only choices were to walk or die in the snow.
•Six people in a lifeboat, somewhere in the Caribbean. They know they will be found, if they live long enough.
•The crew of a state of the art starship, flung far from home by a freak occurrence and trapped by the plot-convenient morals of a megalomaniac captain. Slowing making their way back home.

I like this idea more the longer I think about it.

Moto42 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 18, 2016

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Only 4 days left for the KS. Let's get it to $64k! Spread the word and all that.

Other Red Markets ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXTSx0RvwEM

This youtube channel does a whole series on making fun of Dahir Insaat's lovely patent ideas so check out their other ones too. Hell Bed is particularly useful for RM because I could see multiple uses for it:

A closure job where the target zombie is in a Hell Bed so the PCs have to dig it out, open it up and shoot the zombie (while recording it for the client of course)

A score where the PCs loot the survival gear/sensors/scrap metal/personal belongings of each Hell Bed

A score where the PCs transport the Hell Beds to an enclave with a high latent population - enclave will let latents sleep in the enclave proper if they use a modified hell bed that will close up if it detects the latent's death.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
It's been mentioned that the game's playstyle is modular, from it being super lethal and the players being regular joes to being way more actiony and the PCs being Rambo, is that reflected in character creation?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I had an idea for an enclave: it's a Japanese whaling factory ship that beached onto the California coast. Scores and Jobs would revolve around converting the ship's machinery into things that would help longevity and productivity, such as turning the processing plant into grimecloth works, with an eye towards either complete self-sufficiency on land, or perhaps a Mr. JOLS where you free the ship from being beached and have to deal with a massive load of Casualties attracted from everywhere as the ship tries to take to the sea again.

The Takers would start off in the very depths and rear of the ship, but would slowly move up in decks and move forward in rooms as they gained more experience and clout within the community.

It really started off as a dumb joke in my head after I read the previous update about a enclave that took the 80/20 principle to its extremely logical conclusion. Because the other economic concept that came to mind was an Ishikawa, or fishbone diagram.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
I heard about this game on One Shot and oh my god, if you guys are even slightly on the fence about this game, go listen to the One Shot Podcast's live play of it.

The setting is so great and fascinating. When I first heard about it I thought "Eh, another zombie game? Really?" but then I started learning about the setting and it's just so different from anything I've ever seen before.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Paranoid Dude posted:

I heard about this game on One Shot and oh my god, if you guys are even slightly on the fence about this game, go listen to the One Shot Podcast's live play of it.

The setting is so great and fascinating. When I first heard about it I thought "Eh, another zombie game? Really?" but then I started learning about the setting and it's just so different from anything I've ever seen before.

Livestreaming it now with Third Wheel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?TheThirdWheel?live

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Link didn't work. This link should work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNAXk1VZmbE

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

link for those that missed the stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ybOWOq2KAU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

as caleb would say it, that was rather fraggle rock. Still entertaining

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Are the stretch goals ks exclusive?

RedMarketsCaleb
May 22, 2016
Stretch goals will eventually be for sale as PDFs through DTRPG. Social stretch goals will be made available free to the community, as well as the LifeLines forums.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I finally made the connection of what the recent multiple-Jobs-at-the-same Brutalist episodes remind me of: X-Com

In the original X-Com UFO Defense from 1994, the final mission into the Martian base of Cydonia was a two-parter. You first had to assault the entrance to the base, then an entirely separate "map" of the base innards would have to played through as well.

When Microprose release X-Com Terror From the Deep a year later, they took that concept and ran with it. Now every alien base was a two-parter, except you didn't get a "freebie" by clearing the above-ground map and having the "Mission End" transition you automatically into level 2. No, you had to haul all your gear and all your soldiers into the elevator leading down to the underground manually, including anything.

And then the final mission of that game, T'leth, was a three part mission. You were having to deal with so many enemies that running out of ammo was a very real proposition, especially when programming limits of the time meant that the game could only "render" a maximum of 80 items. If you tried to do a full clear of the first two maps, there was a chance that you wouldn't be able to go all way from a lack of resources. The Brutalists couldn't "abort" the mission after they had already spent however many charges and Bounty and resources on legging it to Cahokia, and neither could the X-Com player back out once they were inside the alien facility.

And drawing from there, I think the Resistance theme of this year's XCOM 2 would be perfect for a Red Markets reskin.

Moving the Avenger from one site to another is basically looking up Scores, and then occasionally the Councilman will hit you up for a Job (and weighing the reward versus difficulty of the three different mission sites is the negotiation), and the Alien Retaliation mission is essentially a PBTA Front that gets out of hand and must be dealt with. XCOM has multiple types of Bounty between Supplies and Intel, but the player is effectively juggling the demands of multiple NPCs, and the concept of the single disastrous mission that kills off all your veterans is economic horror as gently caress because you then enter that "Debt Spiral" where you only have rookies on the next mission and you blow that one too because the team isn't capable enough and it just gets worse and worse from there.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
all stretch goals have been hit

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

A couple of dice tins have opened up if you want to snag one of them.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Well, it's done. I finally backed this thing.
Does anyone know when the preview rules will be up?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Caleb from the Facebook page posted:

The preview will be downloadable once fund clear through Kickstarter. Ross is building a password protected site now for the preview doc and APs. I'll shoot out the link once the bank clears the funds.

quote:

Complete gear list. Aberrant stats. D100 encounters. Everything need to play the game. The only thing not included is setting info

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Aces. I should probably check out their Facebook page.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Anyone interested in doing a campaign with the playtest rules here next week/week after then?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

NutritiousSnack posted:

Anyone interested in doing a campaign with the playtest rules here next week/week after then?

interested, but Caleb himself suggests doing a couple one shots first before doing a campaign

also... 2 hours left!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Twibbit posted:

interested, but Caleb himself suggests doing a couple one shots first before doing a campaign

I was actually thinking of just that, and how one might run a oneshot:

1. Use pregens, but also give the players the option of making their own Takers if they're invested and have the time
2. Use one of the pre-existing enclaves (as detailed by Helical Nightmares above), unless you can work on enclaves outside of session time (like through posting!)
3. Do a Score instead of a Job, and then just work on learning the Negotiation rules once you're more comfortable with the rest of the game

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I'd be down for such a thing. Should we plan it out here or post in the Recruitment thread or maybe discuss it somewhere else?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Make a new thread but post a link, ad, updates here

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. Looks like we're going to have to wait a bit longer, as the playtest package is supposed to drop next Monday at the earliest

2. On the other hand, it's finally funded, ending at 601% :vince: :capitalism:

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Weird question, but since this is a near future game are there military exoskeletons to carry/use extra gear?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

NutritiousSnack posted:

Weird question, but since this is a near future game are there military exoskeletons to carry/use extra gear?

I was thinking anout that, but dronkey's (big dg's successor in the setting) can basically do that for you without being worn

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

NutritiousSnack posted:

I haven't read the test but as I understand it anything that exists at the moment (even as a prototype) exists in Red Markets.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Helical Nightmares posted:

Ettin Type:

quote:

What if a headshot doesn't kill a zombie? How could such an Aberrant come about in a Red Market's universe?

My first thought was, what if Takers come across an Aberrant that has two or three heads (redundancy) grafted on to it. The creature dies only if all three heads (motor control centers) are shot.

Maybe such a creature could arise if some evil scientist carried out some sort of vascular (assuming the Blight in this case requires the vascular system to invade and operate it's human host) and whole head transplant of one zombie onto another. Naturally this could only be a post Blight operation. Why? There my creativity fails me as I mumble "supersoldiers I guess" and kick a can down the street.

Alternately Aberrants are rife for Dead Space style "must cut off every limb to destroy it's motor control" but the mechanism for such a horror is not something I have an idea for at the moment.

I was thinking about one similar to this. Basically it's a zombie king (like a rat king). The idea behind it that if many people die and pile up quickly in a single spot the parasite's tendrils sometimes don''t know where to stop so they weave through all of the bodies knotting them up in a writhing mass. If the takers can surround it then it's not particularly threatening since the zombies are going to all be pulling in different directions, but if the zombies are focused in a single direction then it comes at the takers like a very hungry tidal wave. You can make it tougher by having bits of wreckage tangled up in them to provide protection or more dangerous by having shards of glass and barbed wire jutting out.

The thing that amuses me about it is less the monster and more the things that unscrupulous people could do with the rumor of such a creature. Like the grifter that's sown a bunch of zombies together and is charging two bits a gander. Or the dollar signs in the takers eyes when they stumble upon a conjoined twin zombie.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I was thinking about one similar to this. Basically it's a zombie king (like a rat king). The idea behind it that if many people die and pile up quickly in a single spot the parasite's tendrils sometimes don''t know where to stop so they weave through all of the bodies knotting them up in a writhing mass.

That was actually one of the first Aberrants we see in the Actual Plays! The in-game explanation is that when you lock a bunch people up in a room in very tight quarters and they start turning, the close proximity means that the Blight can't tell where one person ends and another person begins, so the virus ends up meat-puppeting everyone's bodies in a single congealed mass.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

That was actually one of the first Aberrants we see in the Actual Plays! The in-game explanation is that when you lock a bunch people up in a room in very tight quarters and they start turning, the close proximity means that the Blight can't tell where one person ends and another person begins, so the virus ends up meat-puppeting everyone's bodies in a single congealed mass.

That's unsurprising, it seemed like an obvious idea. The thought of a Barker spouting off stuff like "Come lay eyes upon a jen-ew-wine affront to the lord god! Only 2 bounty or best offer!" "See why Jesus wept! Two Nights only!" still tickles me though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was thinking more like a Taker crew that's so desperate they end up having two people underneath a large trenchcoat trying to make their best impression of a caged zombie abomination while their face-man tries to sell people on the idea that it actually is an honest-to-God aberrant.

And then escape from the Enclave at full speed once the scam's been blown.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was thinking more like a Taker crew that's so desperate they end up having two people underneath a large trenchcoat trying to make their best impression of a caged zombie abomination while their face-man tries to sell people on the idea that it actually is an honest-to-God aberrant.

And then escape from the Enclave at full speed once the scam's been blown.

It's going to go south when the face-man starts selling 3 throws for a dollar.

I'll be slightly disappointed now if my players don't end up as a carny troupe minus the respect.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Caleb mentioned Murders & Acquisitions on Twitter as another "economic themed" rpg.

https://twitter.com/HebanonGCal/status/739968769074724870

Unfortunately the kickstarter is over but the project is successfully funded. Maybe it will be available on Drive Through.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1582756696/murders-and-acquisitions-rpg/description

quote:

The Game:

Murders & Acquisitions is a tabletop RPG of subterfuge, espionage, intrigue, theft, and murder in an absurd corporate world. Everything you need to play will be contained in a single game book. A variety of PDF support materials will also be provided.

The players portray corporate go-getters who are willing to climb the corporate ladder by any means necessary. You might sabotage a rival’s pet project, steal his secrets, destroy him socially, or simply kill him and cover it up. Lie, kill, steal – it’s all fair game in a cut-throat corporate world. You can create a character in a matter of minutes. Resources in the book allow a GM to craft an adventure quickly and fill in the blanks as the group plays.

Murders & Acquisitions utilizes a simple, dice-based system for task resolution. Skills are rated with a die type, from d4 to d12. You roll that skill die plus a d6, add the results, and compare the total to a target number. There are ways to bump the die types up or down based on circumstances, as well as ways to gain additional dice to roll. Each action is resolved with one die roll. Both success/failure as well as degree of success/failure are resolved with one roll.

The core game is set in an alternate version of our own real world. Stretch goals will add a series of optional, modular add-on rules that bring a variety of fantastical elements to the game. These add-on rules can be mixed and matched to create a more complex, unique version of the Murders & Acquisitions game for everyone to enjoy.

The Game Book

Every optional chapter made it into the book through stretch goals. Here’s a rundown of what will be in the game book.

Introduction – The basics of the game and world setting.
Chapter 1 – Character Creation – Complete rules for creating a Murders & Acquisitions character.
Chapter 2 – Rule System – The core rule set for the game.
Chapter 3 – Supervisor Guidelines – Advice and rules for GMs along with additional setting information.
Chapter 4 – Friends & Enemies – Stat blocks for a wide variety of NPCs.
Chapter 5 – Story Ideas – A guide for creating adventures in the world of Murders & Acquisitions.
Chapter 6 - Magic & Spellcasting - Spellcasting rules and magic items. Also, some magical traps and a company that utilizes magic in its dealings.
Chapter 7 - Monsters & Templates - Monster bloodline templates for characters. Also, a whole bunch of monsters and a company run by monsters.
Chapter 8 - Future Tech - Rules for cybertech and nanotech. Additionally, some tech monsters and a company that wants to build a better you by sticking technology in your body.
Chapter 9 - Cosmic Horror - Dark magic, some artifacts, and insanity. Also, some fell creatures from beyond the edges of our reality and a company that has made a pact with one such horror.
Chapter 10 - Apocalypses & Mutations - Guidelines for different types of apocalypses as well as character (and monster) mutations. In addition, some apocalyptic monsters and dangerous wild animals.

Ongoing news here: http://www.nerdburgergames.com/

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

New GDW on the kickstarter, mostly about the business side but still interesting http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2016/06/game-designer-workshop/game-designer-workshop-episode-13-red-markets-kickstarter-post-mortem/

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Some thoughts on a Post-Apocalyptic Canada

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/47947046/

Some older threads on a WENDIGO APOCALYPSE in Canada

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/44551658/

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/47556791/

-----

Really fantastic Post Apoc music video. Watch it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE2GCa-_nyU

Imagine this group as "The Incident" in Red Market's podcast with One Shot.

http://oneshotpodcast.com/podcasts/one-shot/150-red-markets-part-1/

----

Caleb mentioned The Girl With All the Gifts as an inspiration for one of the more recent Brutalist Red Market Podcasts.

Guess what they are turning into a movie?

Warning. Trailer has heavy story spoilers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjGkB_oWTe0

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 26, 2016

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I'm still kicking around aberrant ideas. One that I've been calling a Kudzu happens very rarely when a latent suffers an extreme trauma that has left them, well, splattered about. The tendrils threaded through the muck keep going until they hang like Spanish moss or cover the ground like a fungus and attempt to ensnare and infect anyone that touches it with bare skin. If it's successful in entangling and turning someone instead of them running around it pulls them in and uses them to grow and spread itself. If it happens enough you can end up with say a hallway where the walls howl and strange limbs randomly spring out of the bloody goop underfoot trying to pull you under.

Another is simply a head attached to a limbless upper torso that uses it's ribs to scuttle around like a spider.

One idea for, not really a specific enclave exactly but kind of a social movement I'm roughing out is The Revisionists. They're basically the ultimate boot strappers and believe that anything you didn't make with your own two hands is sinful. They can vary quite a bit in practice with the more hard line communes being practically neolithic (building most things from scratch is hard, especially when you have to build the tools first) to the more liberal ones keeping things like a radio around for emergencies or taking scrap metal and purifying it by heating it up and reworking it (these guys just make sure to pray double good). They're a major pain in the rear end though because for various reasons they'll work themselves up into a frenzy and go around smashing stuff and burning down buildings because the the remnants of the old ways are bad juju, so they got to destroy it to make things right. They're not cackling villains though, the vast majority think hurting people that aren't trying to hurt them, or taking away their ability to survive is a hosed up thing to do like most sane people. Just don't leave your equipment unattended when around them. They also have a strange relationship with grimecloth where they don't approve of the methods, but do appreciate the results. Which makes it one of the few bits of trading they'll engage in, so you may rarely see a caveman warband escorting a grimecloth convoy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Check your emails: the playtest package is now available for backers.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

I don't envy the slang design server as I and I assume many others bulk download those APs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Going try an set up a campain/maybe just a oneshot on here to run either Fri, Sat, or Sun. Keep your eyes open.

• Locked thread