Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

kaempfer0080 posted:

Got my Vive about a week ago and I'm loving it so far. Looking for some more stuff to try though. I want to try out Call of Starseed and Vanishing Realms but will probably wait for the next steam sale. Has anyone tried that rogue-like dungeon crawler, Legend of Luca?

I have the stuff the Vive came with, Catlateral Damage, Gunjack, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, SPT, and 5089. 5089 is actually really fun for a game made by and for people with Aspergers.

Any other recommendations? Anyone know of some cool home brew VR games/experiences, or mods for existing games that work well with Vive?

Cloudlands minigolf is pretty neat. I hear good things about H3, but I haven't tried it myself. Are you only looking for roomscale stuff? Check out the budget cuts demo, its totally free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Book of Ignasius sounds awesome, I'll check that out. Thanks for the recommendation!

Yeah Budget Cuts is definitely on my to-try list. I'm considering Cloudlands as well since my Dad might have a lot of fun with it too.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

kaempfer0080 posted:

Book of Ignasius sounds awesome, I'll check that out. Thanks for the recommendation!

He's being a troll. It doesn't exist, he just shits up this thread.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Dude I want a VR RPG set in the Philippines.

What the gently caress.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

kaempfer0080 posted:

Dude I want a VR RPG set in the Philippines.

What the gently caress.

Don't we all. :wink:

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Plate Spinnerz is good but I suggest waiting for a sale. You're in a big top circus with a very lively and convincing crowd in the background. If you meet the recommended specs you're in for a real treat. I don't know what technological tricks Fanatic Games came up with but for them to render a crowd that big in VR must have taken a lot of work.

Anyway, there are various circus attractions throwing plates at you. You have to use the vr wands that come with the vive to put sticks in the right spot so the plates land and start spinning. You have to be careful moving around your roomscale area to avoid knocking plates off the poles and to keep plates slowing down moving. The effect of the acrobats throwing plates up high is neat but the elephant gets way too close and the end of his trunk breaks the 3d effect.

Overall I give Plate Spinnerz by Fanatic Games a 4/5. $20 is a bit much for what's there but it is a solid VR experience and is worth seeing.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I want to believe :pray:

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Oh and I've basically only played room scale games up til now but I am open to anything.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Hordez might be my next purchase. The multiplayer could be some good fun.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

ChickenArise posted:

Hordez might be my next purchase. The multiplayer could be some good fun.

Huh never heard of it, it doesn't look amazing but if you get it wanna give us a trip report?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Out of curiosity is there anyone here who has ordered a Vive after May 12th and received it?

I just want to know if there's people out there who have ordered and gotten a shipment faster then I've gotten a response from HTC's customer service.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Knifegrab posted:

Huh never heard of it, it doesn't look amazing but if you get it wanna give us a trip report?

I've only played it briefly at a friend's house because I'm trying not to have too many things other than Overwatch that I want to play (until it goes on sale, at least). It's not as "scary" as Brookhaven or as fast-paced (ime) as SPT. I prefer the way reloading is handled in Hordez vs Hoverjunkers, but they're different sorts of games. Having items and stuff to pick up is a cool addition, and I hope multiplayer is a nice addition to the single player experience.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

ChickenArise posted:

I've only played it briefly at a friend's house because I'm trying not to have too many things other than Overwatch that I want to play (until it goes on sale, at least). It's not as "scary" as Brookhaven or as fast-paced (ime) as SPT. I prefer the way reloading is handled in Hordez vs Hoverjunkers, but they're different sorts of games. Having items and stuff to pick up is a cool addition, and I hope multiplayer is a nice addition to the single player experience.

Well if you end up getting it, and want to do a write up, I'll add it to the OP!

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Holy poo poo HTC's support is loving terrible. One of my controllers broke and I've been going through their support hell for the last week and a half. There is a delay time on getting responses through their support tickets of several days (even responding to replies on existing tickets) and the fact that they advertise "live support" on their support site seems like just straight up false advertising considering I've been trying dozens of times a day every day for a week and a half and have yet to actually get through to a single person through it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lucid Dream posted:

Holy poo poo HTC's support is loving terrible. One of my controllers broke and I've been going through their support hell for the last week and a half. There is a delay time on getting responses through their support tickets of several days (even responding to replies on existing tickets) and the fact that they advertise "live support" on their support site seems like just straight up false advertising considering I've been trying dozens of times a day every day for a week and a half and have yet to actually get through to a single person through it.

I really hope that whatever happens with the next generation they completely fix this poo poo and completely gut digital river. While they're fulfillment seems to be better than the competition it definitely seems like they're support is among the worst.

I had a support nightmare with them back when credit card orders were being rejected and it took me a solid five calls to get anyone helpful. It really is astounding how much they can gently caress it up.

My only two suggestions would be: 1) make a reddit thread, people can help you there and you might get some attention from HTC themselves. 2) Don't go through support via email or anything, call them and don't stop calling till someone can help.

How did your controller break?

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Knifegrab posted:

How did your controller break?

I smashed it into a wall :v:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lucid Dream posted:

Chaperone why you fail us?!

I wonder if they will replace it for you since its not like, a factory defect. That is if they ever respond to you.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lucid Dream posted:

Use the wrist straps you angry person!

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

one of my controllers has been acting weird ever since i didn't respect the boundaries during a vanishing realms play through and got too close to the wall during battle :blush: nothing too bad though, except for some floaty shields in SPT sometimes (which could just as easily be something else)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tweak posted:

one of my controllers has been acting weird ever since i didn't respect the boundaries during a vanishing realms play through and got too close to the wall during battle :blush: nothing too bad though, except for some floaty shields in SPT sometimes (which could just as easily be something else)

Eh, I get that and I've avoided obliterating my controllers on anything yet (it helps that I have a semicircle of couches near my chaperone bounds so even if I pass them a bit it's just empty air). It usually goes away if I angry wave the controller at one of the base stations, but I'm not sure doing that actually helps :v:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I used to get some really weird tracking issues. Then I covered a mirror somewhat close to my play area. That reduced the issue mostly but then I still had a tiny bit of weirdness so I angled my tv (relatively reflective when off) so it couldn't possibly do any kind of weird reflection nonsense and now my issues are completely gone.

I'd recommend keeping an eye out for anything even minorly reflective near your play area.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
I ordered from the HTC website May 16, and got a FedEx tracking number today that shows delivery Friday. 11 days from order -> receipt.

I'm so flippin' excited, guys! Mostly to put it on my mom's head. I'm also the only gamer in my entire peer group so maybe now my friends'll geek out with me sometimes

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Locobono posted:

I ordered from the HTC website May 16, and got a FedEx tracking number today that shows delivery Friday. 11 days from order -> receipt.

I'm so flippin' excited, guys! Mostly to put it on my mom's head. I'm also the only gamer in my entire peer group so maybe now my friends'll geek out with me sometimes

I have yet to put it on someones head who wasn't at the very least pleasantly surprised. While I got some negative reactions to the DK2, the Vive has never failed to get a smile out of people. And for most people its well beyond that, they lose their minds, think its the coolest thing ever. I had to get a VR cover because some people just didn't want to take it off and sweated their gross faces into my personal HMD.

Demoing the Vive has been my favorite thing about owning it to be honest.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Tenzarin posted:

Use the wrist straps you angry person!

I was using them, but I was furiously throwing hammers at someone in Altspace VR and I guess my brain ignored the chaperone bounds and I just straight up hit the wall with it heh.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 25, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lucid Dream posted:

I was using them, but I was furiously throwing hammers at someone in Altspace VR and I guess my brain ignored the chaperone bounds heh.

You gonna watch the Reggie Watts show tomorrow?

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Knifegrab posted:

You gonna watch the Reggie Watts show tomorrow?

Probably, I signed up for it awhile ago.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
Are there any emulators with VR support?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Locobono posted:

Are there any emulators with VR support?

Wii/Gamecube emulator

https://forums.oculus.com/vip/discussion/34903/dolphin-emulator-cv1-compatibility

Works with the Vive, I think directly.

Metroid Prime is sweet and will make you sick but it's sweet anyway.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Lemming posted:

Wii/Gamecube emulator

https://forums.oculus.com/vip/discussion/34903/dolphin-emulator-cv1-compatibility

Works with the Vive, I think directly.

Metroid Prime is sweet and will make you sick but it's sweet anyway.

So I can live in Hyrule, but only with intermittent barfing? Worth it.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I FINALLY got through to the HTC live support on the Vive site (after 10 days of trying). It kept telling me that the live support wasn't active but I kept refreshing until I could enter information. Then it told me that my message didn't go through for some reason, so I tried sending it again. That time it went through, but it told me they were taking too long and that I should try emailing them, so I kept entering text into the live chat thing until it connected me with someone. After far too many diagnostic steps, they are going to repair it for free and send me a shipping label. Soooo don't bother with the email support, and just keep trying on the live support I guess.

Also: I couldn't find a phone number to contact them at to save my life, but through the live support I ended up getting this info: "For order inquiries you can call Vive Online Store through the hotline number 1-888-216-4736 from 9:00AM-10:00 PM Eastern Time, Mondays – Sundays." so if anyone else has trouble you might want to just try calling them.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lucid Dream posted:

I FINALLY got through to the HTC live support on the Vive site (after 10 days of trying). It kept telling me that the live support wasn't active but I kept refreshing until I could enter information. Then it told me that my message didn't go through for some reason, so I tried sending it again. That time it went through, but it told me they were taking too long and that I should try emailing them, so I kept entering text into the live chat thing until it connected me with someone. After far too many diagnostic steps, they are going to repair it for free and send me a shipping label. Soooo don't bother with the email support, and just keep trying on the live support I guess.

Also: I couldn't find a phone number to contact them at to save my life, but through the live support I ended up getting this info: "For order inquiries you can call Vive Online Store through the hotline number 1-888-216-4736 from 9:00AM-10:00 PM Eastern Time, Mondays – Sundays." so if anyone else has trouble you might want to just try calling them.

Putting this in the OP thanks.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Knifegrab posted:

I have yet to put it on someones head who wasn't at the very least pleasantly surprised. While I got some negative reactions to the DK2, the Vive has never failed to get a smile out of people. And for most people its well beyond that, they lose their minds, think its the coolest thing ever. I had to get a VR cover because some people just didn't want to take it off and sweated their gross faces into my personal HMD.

Demoing the Vive has been my favorite thing about owning it to be honest.

Which games get the best "wow" from neophytes?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Locobono posted:

Hmmm hard to say, depends on the person, I would put most of my friends into Space Pirate Trainer, but I wouldn't put my family members into it.

I typically start with tilt brush because it is easy to use and is a great way to quickly show off what VR is and how VR works.

From there I typically give people either Job Simulator or Space Pirate Trainer, typically leaning towards the latter.

Sometimes I put them in the lab if I think navigating The Lab wouldn't be too tough for them. If I think it is I will load up the lab and get them into the archery, slingshot, or bullet hell game and then hand it off.

I am starting to consider using minecraft now as well but that is likely a bit more complicated so not good for a neophyte.

If you handle the menu navigation and loading a race, Project Cars could be a great experience if you already have a race wheel as it works incredibly well too, the same goes for Elite Dangerous but I'd wait until they actually add the UI scaling option into the game for the vive (it might be added tomorrwo when the newest expansion goes live).

The Blu can be a neat thing, but it kinda drags on and isn't interactive enough IMO.

Holopoint is ok but I would only put them into that if they have a good experience and seem competent in SPT.

I might be forgetting things but that is a pretty typical list for me.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
My parents loved Space Pirate Trainer but they also play Mario Kart every day so maybe they're not totally typical

It's been the most successful by far, though. It's such a visceral experience and it's really a perfect way to show it off. It's pretty cool seeing people go from standing there sort of pointing the guns vaguely in the direction of the enemies to moving around and dodging shots and holding their arms out.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Locobono posted:

Seconding Tilt Brush and SPT, I'd also say that Zenblade is super simple, surprisingly fun and another one of those games that really shows you the benefit of motion controllers.
Edit: And you can play it with one controller if you break one :v:

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 26, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

My parents loved Space Pirate Trainer but they also play Mario Kart every day so maybe they're not totally typical

It's been the most successful by far, though. It's such a visceral experience and it's really a perfect way to show it off. It's pretty cool seeing people go from standing there sort of pointing the guns vaguely in the direction of the enemies to moving around and dodging shots and holding their arms out.

Oh I mean my dad might be able to do SPT but my mom has trouble with Chrome, so I suspect SPT might be a bit much for her (she also can't move as well these days :( )

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

I've just put everyone in to Job Simulator and so far nothing but amazement in terms of reactions. The only tricky thing about Job Simulator is the controllers are hands so if I forget to show them what they look like before starting, they get confused as to what I'm actually trying to give to them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I've found there's a subset of people who just really go crazy for Brookhaven. Or that one archery game in the lab.

Personally Job Simulator will be my go to of choice, the picking up and interacting with objects, just being able to reach out and grab even off other people's heads/faces is great.

TANSTAAFL
Feb 10, 2006
fubar
I haven't seen too much talk about Assetto Corsa but it's great with ReVive and a steering wheel.
There's tons of user made hill climb and downhill courses you can download as well as some more open roaming courses that are just a pleasure to cruise around in VR.
To me it feels more realistic compared to Project Cars and seems to run better on my system. Also you can download a drifting bus or fzero car if that's your thing :)

Sorry if I missed someone else mention this but changing the horizon lock gives me a much better sense of being in the car. Here's an article all about it.

Oh also i just heard about this Duke3d port that apparently works with ReVive I'll be trying that one later tonight while I wait for Gz3Doom's vive update or ReVives updated openGL support to make it work :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i typically put everyone into the lab, at least to start. I love seeing their response to vesper peak, then if they're interested right to archery or the universe. TheBlu is usually what I load next but I really wish there was a speed up button instead of slow down, since it does tend to drag if you aren't doing the whale (which I usually start them on). If they're familiar with games then Budget Cuts or Fantastic Contraption, if not Job Simulator or Surgeon Simulator (wherein I just yell at them that they're letting a man die). I also mirror everything to my chromecast on the TV so people can see. I've dropped the ball on showing off Tilt Brush and Universe Sandbox, since the former everyone says people love and the later is just much better than the lab's universe.

Interestingly SPT has been the one game so far that everyone has been unable to grasp and/or be interested in, which sucks because then I can't brag about being on the global high score :v: (for another couple days or so, at least)

• Locked thread