Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I do believe you will need the latest JRE yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Did the demo for this at the Microsoft store was neat, it was all kinda low rez cartoony graphic stuff, is there any attempt out there to push something more realistic? If so how does it look?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

Did the demo for this at the Microsoft store was neat, it was all kinda low rez cartoony graphic stuff, is there any attempt out there to push something more realistic? If so how does it look?

Some of The Lab's demos use photogrammetry and look very real. The Robot Repair demo has some very high quality visuals too, as does most everything in The Lab really but Robot Repair particularly stands out.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

socialsecurity posted:

The problem is just massive performance cost. The vive's resolution is 2160x1200 and it has to have a refresh rate of 90Hz. That is a LOT of rendering and pixels every second, way more than typical gaming. And you really need to make sure the framerate doesn't dip below 90 too much, unlike normal gaming where a game can run well enough at 30fps to still look amazing. So simplistic scenes/graphics are the only way to really to perform well.

More realistic takes will come, or will take the form of smaller scenes (One or two more realistic looking enviornments but not a massive world).

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
Why isn't Hover Junkers in the good/great games list? No good?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Locobono posted:

Why isn't Hover Junkers in the good/great games list? No good?

Personally, I want to like Hover Junkers, and maybe it will get there some day, but the content is so... small. You will effectively have played the whole game in 30 minutes. And if you are hyper competitive it might be fun for you, but other than some fun reload mechanics its just an incredibly shallow experience. They are claiming to add a lot of stuff in the future, maybe someday it will be in the OP. If other people disagree I can throw it up there but for me its not worth the cost and its my least played game.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I would have played it more but it's super janky. It's no fun when everyone teleports everywhere and you can't hit anything.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades has just had it's weekly update and have introduced a pretty novel locomotion method which looks pretty sweet. Haven't had the chance to try it out yet but take a look at the dev blog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A3A1Ltc3yI

The locomotion stuff starts about a minute in if you want to skip to that.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Aphex- posted:

Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades has just had it's weekly update and have introduced a pretty novel locomotion method which looks pretty sweet. Haven't had the chance to try it out yet but take a look at the dev blog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A3A1Ltc3yI

The locomotion stuff starts about a minute in if you want to skip to that.

Very interesting! I don't currently own H3, can anyone with it try the new method and talk about how it feels for them?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
That IS very interesting? Does it not make people sick? Fascinating.

One of the cooler aspects of being an early adopter of this tech is seeing all the crazy experimentation that people are doing with it. It's totally up in the air what the defacto standards will be for this technology by the end. In the meantime we get to see the very trial and error process of figuring it out that all of the devs are currently going through.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Talorat posted:

That IS very interesting? Does it not make people sick? Fascinating.

One of the cooler aspects of being an early adopter of this tech is seeing all the crazy experimentation that people are doing with it. It's totally up in the air what the defacto standards will be for this technology by the end. In the meantime we get to see the very trial and error process of figuring it out that all of the devs are currently going through.

I just tried it out. There is definitely something to it in that it feels a lot more "natural" but I still got a little queasy. Maybe he could try constraining along selected axis? I think moving off the floor is what caused the most trouble with my stomach.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Just as a trip report, I got final approach and it is super adorable and awesome in a lot of ways. I think from the top down it looks really great the graphics are perfect. The zoom events are neat and really make the game an awesome experiment in scale however when zoomed in you really see how crappy the quality on everything is. If they could implement some cool LOD's it might be even more convincing but I don't know how taxing that might be.

Three years in the future when we will all have more power to push our HMD's with it'll be cool to see how the quality ramps up.

Either way I do agree that Final Approach is a top tier VR experience. THough I will say I doubt there is little reason to play it more than once, except for a few minutes to dick around in here or there maybe with the challenge missions. Its price might also be a bit high for what is ultimately in my mind a really fun but limited experience. They do seem to be updating it a lot with content though.

Finally if you like demoing I think this makes an excellent demo game, without a doubt.

All in all, it might be a bit pricey for the content, but it is polished, and fun chaos.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite locomotion concept by far is "shove the Vive controller in your pants":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2iKzVCh8KA

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
^^ I really hope they open up lighthouse to 3rd party peripherals soon. The idea of that is great, but it desperately needs to be a $30 belt or girdle with sensors all around. You could even put controller holsters on it.

My ex-garage is now a dedicated VR Room and dev space, spent the weekend setting up and demoing to friends which was a so much more fun than anything I've done with rifts these last couple of years. I completely under estimated the importance of room scale, probably biased because I don't have any space to spare inside the apartment.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

sliderule posted:

My favourite locomotion concept by far is "shove the Vive controller in your pants":

As long as they render the controller as a gun.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Rectus posted:

As long as they render the controller as a gun.

Tracking could easily identify pelvic thrusts also. Actual activation for crotch pistol.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sliderule posted:

This is what I figured out on the DK1 and I've been saying it over and over; proper full FPS VR games are going to require some kind of belt tracker. The fact that neither HTC nor Oculus seems to be exploring this at all initially is a huge miss. It'll come later but its the only way to do proper full on immersive VR.

So for the meantime we're going to get by with a whole lot of standing / sitting / cockpit / teleportation games.

I want to like Windlands but without a belt tracker its just too sloppy. With a belt tracker it'd be so much goddamned fun.

You have to be able to de-couple your view from your facing, which requires both a head tracker and a separate body tracker. The HMD handles head tracking already, but we have no body tracking solution. Hand tracking is great but its worth even giving up one of your hands in order to get body tracking, even if it means stuffing a controller down your pants. They really should have planned ahead and made a belt tracker though. Head tracker, body tracker and two hand controllers is the ideal FPS setup.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 29, 2016

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
finally my vive shipped. will be here tomorrow before 1:30 - hooray. crazy thing is looking at reddit I got lucky, most canadian orders between april 1-10 still haven't shipped and will miss the may fulfillment deadline

my steam library is ready. I am ready. give me virtual reality I'm sick of the real thing

edit: yeah I went a bit overboard. will post impressions on these once I've got the hardware in hand.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 29, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

That locomotion method looks like it'd be most effective in zero-g games. With a bit of floating that'd be pretty cool.

E: Anyone gotten the Vive controllers working in Dolphin VR yet?

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 29, 2016

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

No vive wand support yet, most recent status according to reddit 3 days ago. Don't hold your breath for it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

The Walrus posted:

finally my vive shipped. will be here tomorrow before 1:30 - hooray. crazy thing is looking at reddit I got lucky, most canadian orders between april 1-10 still haven't shipped and will miss the may fulfillment deadline

my steam library is ready. I am ready. give me virtual reality I'm sick of the real thing

edit: yeah I went a bit overboard. will post impressions on these once I've got the hardware in hand.

This is a good list, you should have fun!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

For whatever reason that dev has decided it would be better to get Dolphin VR working for touch controls (Which aren't out and probably won't be out for months) as opposed to get vive controllers working (which people have and are using now) so I guess he is retarded!

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Is anybody working on a flight sim for VR?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Per posted:

War Thunder works, and for space flight we have House of the Dying Sun coming very soon and also Elite Dangerous works well now. Civilian flight? I don't know.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Per posted:

Flyinside works with the Vive now, I believe. You need MS FlightsimX or Prepar3d.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I will be giving Elite Dangerous a solid run through today in the vive after being disappointed in the past, the latest update is supposed to fix things. Though not really a "flight sim" in the sense you are looking for I will report back with whether it is good or not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4ljmga/head_of_htc_vr_in_china_htc_wont_ask_devs_for/

According to HTC leadership, HTC will not be pursuing any type of exclusivity deals, good for HTC not being the sack of poo poo Oculus is.

doubled edit: Also in a couple days Waltz of the Wizard comes out. It is being released on the 31st and most importantly of all its free. It seems, again, more like a tech demo/short experience but it does look rather well made and quality, and its free so why not?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/436820/

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 29, 2016

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My Vive arrived, but I don't have a video card to run it yet :cry:

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha
Revive question:

Since Revive currently works with all oculus titles, can I now block Oculus software from accessing the internet so it can't autoupdate and break compatibility? Or would the oculus store software not work if it can't phone home?

Also, I installed Java so I could try out minecraft, and everyone was right, it is awesome in VR.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

^ unfortunately I don't know, I haven't used revive and likely won't because I don't want to purchase content on oculus home.

sliderule posted:

My Vive arrived, but I don't have a video card to run it yet :cry:

The cruelest fate.

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

Knifegrab posted:

^ unfortunately I don't know, I haven't used revive and likely won't because I don't want to purchase content on oculus home.

Haven't bought anything either, but my niece will watch Henry over and over.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Kid posted:

Haven't bought anything either, but my niece will watch Henry over and over.

I would suspect it doesn't need to ping the outside world but I would ask /r/vive, people there really like helping with ReVive questions.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Windlands trip report: Oh god it hurts. Things were kind of off feeling but I only pieced together why after the Bad Thing happened and I was paralyzed by nausea for four hours.
Not having the headphones on backwards is really important in VR.
I broke myself with a very specific set of actions, so anyone who wants to replicate my disaster can try. My recollection of what went wrong is surprisingly detailed. I turned to the left and physically stepped forward while firing a grappling hook from my left hand and strafing to the right and backwards with the controller to re-center myself relative to an in game edge that was moving past the edge of what I thought was probably the physical space. The grapple connected and as all of that happened I was wrenched off the ground and pulled forward, and the soundscape momentarily convinced my brain that I was also upside down. I think that it would've just been a spike of queasiness without that last bit, but the impression of being dragged apart and inverted at the same time was enough to bluescreen my inner ear immediately.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Per posted:

DCS World works fine with the Vive out-of-the-box, and is free (for the unarmed P-51 Mustang and non-clickable cockpit Su-25T; other planes/helicopters are extra).

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Kid posted:

Revive question:

Since Revive currently works with all oculus titles, can I now block Oculus software from accessing the internet so it can't autoupdate and break compatibility? Or would the oculus store software not work if it can't phone home?

Also, I installed Java so I could try out minecraft, and everyone was right, it is awesome in VR.

People on reddit were saying that blocking Home in their firewall works fine.

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

Poetic Justice posted:

People on reddit were saying that blocking Home in their firewall works fine.

Tried it out and all seems to be working. Thanks!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So Elite:Dangerous trip report. It runs better, and looks better. Though obviously there are still some readability issues it is MUCH MUCH better. Definitely a lot of fun now.

I've been spending the greater portion of the day setting up an elaborate voice attack with safety phrases and quite elaborate, somewhat natural speech recognition and response.

I am a total space nerd.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
How does one move around in an open world game like Minecraft?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

teleporting, mostly

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

You can also use the trackpad as traditional movement (forward, back, strafe left and strafe right). Teleporting provides better movement for those more sensitive to sickness. I prefer it and I have a pretty solid stomach.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

edit: gently caress double post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Subnautica would be so good in VR if it wasn't for the *constant* terrain loading stutter. That poo poo makes me feel off.

• Locked thread