Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The number of people shot in Chicago is running 50 percent above this time last year as the city braces for the summer, traditionally its most violent period.

So far this year, at least 1,382 people have been shot in Chicago and at least 244 of them have died of their wounds. Last year at this time, 904 people had been shot, 157 of them fatally.

May already has seen summerlike gun violence. More people have been killed so far this month than in all of May 2015.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-weekend-shootings-violence-20160523-story.html

Stop shooting people. People want to go for a walk to get ice cream and stuff and end up getting shot. It's not right and I won't stand for it.

Seriously though, what the gently caress is wrong with Chicago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just visited Chicago for 3 days.

3rd best MIdwestern city (The non shooty poor parts)

Des Moines is 1, Minneapolis/St. Paul 2, Chicago 3.

I should write a review for GBS.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Lime Tonics posted:

The number of people shot in Chicago is running 50 percent above this time last year as the city braces for the summer, traditionally its most violent period.

So far this year, at least 1,382 people have been shot in Chicago and at least 244 of them have died of their wounds. Last year at this time, 904 people had been shot, 157 of them fatally.

May already has seen summerlike gun violence. More people have been killed so far this month than in all of May 2015.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-weekend-shootings-violence-20160523-story.html

Stop shooting people. People want to go for a walk to get ice cream and stuff and end up getting shot. It's not right and I won't stand for it.

Don't worry man, Al Sharpton is on the case.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
If only America was less poo poo & garbage death to America hail satan

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
You didn't even link the best website, http://heyjackass.com/

Someone shot: every 2 1/2 hours
Someone killed: every 14 hours

Good job Chicago!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im white and live in southern california so i dont care about this OP

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm moving to Baghdad

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Reminds me of this good song

<was going to post a link to Kanye/Jay-Z "Murder to Excellence" but all copies have been scrubbed from the internet>

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

chiraq

Aug 4, 2010

i think they should stop shooting each other

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I bet most of those were over pot and :catdrugs:

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
i thought barrack was gonna save my ppl

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
sounds like Obama should make guns illegal

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Woahohohohohohoh we are young

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Actually I think it's we are strong sorry folks

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Chicago would be a good place to test out those crazy theories about income ineqality and education and social safety nets leading more/less violence

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Perhaps America should consider that they need more guns?

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Lime Tonics posted:

People have their own agency. If they want to live in violence, than that's how they'll live. Who should solve Chicago's problems, the rest of America ? It's on the city and it's citizens, who apparently are ok with this.

Plus most of the victims are gang-members who aren't really human but human-trash, so nothing of value is taken from society by their

passing. Actually it's a good thing since it's frees up valuable resources for the people who want to live in a civilized society.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
What's up with Chicago gangs? Did somebody important die or get locked up, and there's like a power vacuum? Are they fighting over heroin territory? Is there any kind of command structure at all, or is just America's Nightmare (children with guns)?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Chicago vs Detroit GO

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lime Tonics posted:

drat that site is brutal

two 19 year olds, 20 year old, 20 year old, 16 year old, 17 year old

people younger than me are getting murdered and its making me feel old

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Robo Reagan posted:

drat that site is brutal

two 19 year olds, 20 year old, 20 year old, 16 year old, 17 year old

people younger than me are getting murdered and its making me feel old

Testosterone is a hell of a drug

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Love is a battlefield

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Just visited Chicago for 3 days.

3rd best MIdwestern city (The non shooty poor parts)

Des Moines is 1, Minneapolis/St. Paul 2, Chicago 3.

I should write a review for GBS.

I noticed you ranked these by BMI

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
I'm from Chicago and I love my home city. Great food, music, culture and (mostly) people. However, the taxes are skyrocketing, the poor are being maligned and gangs are being ignored. Cops are either too afraid of entering the violent neighborhoods or flat out don't care and on the other side of that, Cops are out of control, shooting teenagers, addicts and the homeless.

I love my home city, but I left. I couldn't take it anymore.

Madison is super cool, though.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

So what? I live in the murder capital of the U.S.

http://fox2now.com/2016/02/29/the-30-murder-capitals-in-the-u-s/

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Black Lives Matter is scheduling to protest this violence, correct?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
it's because the black media shills only concern troll when a white cop shoots black person (sometimes legitimate sometimes not), and they ignore all of the black on black violence which accounts for the large majority of violence to black people

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

CharlestonJew posted:

Chicago vs Detroit GO
No one left to murder in detroit.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

dethkon posted:

What's up with Chicago gangs? Did somebody important die or get locked up, and there's like a power vacuum? Are they fighting over heroin territory? Is there any kind of command structure at all, or is just America's Nightmare (children with guns)?

tldr on Chicago:

Breaking up the big gangs has led to splintered "blocks," or small scale street gangs that spring up on a specific street (e.g. 87th st. Satan's Disciples). the problem is, when the larger gangs were around the leadership was all about the money and reduced violence. If you hurt or killed an innocent you'd be dealt with internally.

Now the blocks are splintered and have social media beefs. A 92nd st. Satan's Disciple member could very well have beef with one on the aforementioned 87th st. The net result is exploding violence in the south ad west sides.

As a sidenote, the extreme lack of economic prospects in those neighborhoods has led to the residents coming north and robbing people in the downtown and northside. Cue scared white people.

Had a friend get killed under the red line at belmont (near wrigley field) for $15 and an iPhone. His murderer was out on bail for assault on a peace officer with a machete.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

It never ceased to amaze me how much of a shithole St. Louis was. This is the least of their problems, but my god I have never seen so many fat white pedestrians just standing at red lights even though there were no cars coming.

You can tell a lot about a city and its people by how many of them will only cross streets when there is a white yes you can walk sign.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Ben Smash posted:

I'm from Chicago and I love my home city. Great food, music, culture and (mostly) people. However, the taxes are skyrocketing, the poor are being maligned and gangs are being ignored. Cops are either too afraid of entering the violent neighborhoods or flat out don't care and on the other side of that, Cops are out of control, shooting teenagers, addicts and the homeless.

I love my home city, but I left. I couldn't take it anymore.

Madison is super cool, though.

Not only what you said, but rent is skyrocketing in most desirable parts of the city as well. Love Chicago, but there was no reason besides friends for me to stay.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Do it ironically posted:

it's because the black media shills only concern troll when a white cop shoots black person (sometimes legitimate sometimes not), and they ignore all of the black on black violence which accounts for the large majority of violence to black people

That is their culture and it's not our place to say if it's right or wrong.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

The Sicilian posted:

tldr on Chicago:

Breaking up the big gangs has led to splintered "blocks," or small scale street gangs that spring up on a specific street (e.g. 87th st. Satan's Disciples). the problem is, when the larger gangs were around the leadership was all about the money and reduced violence. If you hurt or killed an innocent you'd be dealt with internally.

Now the blocks are splintered and have social media beefs. A 92nd st. Satan's Disciple member could very well have beef with one on the aforementioned 87th st. The net result is exploding violence in the south ad west sides.

Oh boy, we can't break up gangs too big to fail!

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

OctoberBlues posted:

It never ceased to amaze me how much of a shithole St. Louis was. This is the least of their problems, but my god I have never seen so many fat white pedestrians just standing at red lights even though there were no cars coming.

You can tell a lot about a city and its people by how many of them will only cross streets when there is a white yes you can walk sign.

:confused:

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As a liberal, I demand that white people are blamed for this.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

OctoberBlues posted:

Those must have been tourists. We jaywalk like mofos here.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

OctoberBlues posted:

i got yelled at by my san fran friends when i tried to cross an empty street

im from philly we cross when it makes sense, and sometimes when it doesnt

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
sucking chest wound spilling gore
twenty five or six to four

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

psychokitty posted:

Those must have been tourists. We jaywalk like mofos here.

I don't know, I've been to downtown St. Louis way loving more than I have ever wanted to and like 5% of people at stop lights actually crossed before it turned green. It stands out amongst every city I've ever been to. And everyone was fat, like seriously, almost everyone.

Goddamn I hate St. Louis.

• Locked thread