Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Imapanda posted:

someone answer this

like imagine if all drugs were federally legalized and homegrown and cheap as gently caress along with the massive fund boosts in treatment centers

will they become shoe polishers? bootleg dvd salesmen? would prostitution skyrocket? experimental drugs might become more common. this makes for good thought experiment

The United States Military has a place for young men with weapons training and no fear of death !

Have 'em kill America's enemies instead of out compatriot brothers. Nothing wrong with killing if it's pointed in the right direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Imapanda posted:

someone answer this

like imagine if all drugs were federally legalized and homegrown and cheap as gently caress along with the massive fund boosts in treatment centers

will they become shoe polishers? bootleg dvd salesmen? would prostitution skyrocket? experimental drugs might become more common. this makes for good thought experiment

Become cops.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
City records 300th homicide with 13 over Father's Day weekend

The city recorded its 300th homicide this weekend and went on to record six others over a 60-hour period that saw 59 people shot, 13 fatally, from Friday afternoon through early Monday morning.

So far this year, about 1,800 people have been shot across the city and more than 200 of those wounded have died of their wounds, according to records kept by the Chicago Tribune. A total of 306 people have been killed this year by shooting, stabbing or other means, Tribune records show.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-12-dead-at-least-41-hurt-in-weekend-shootings-20160620-story.html

July 4th is shaping up to be the worst in a long time.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Lime Tonics posted:

The city recorded its 300th homicide this weekend and went on to record six others over a 60-hour period that saw 59 people shot, 13 fatally, from Friday afternoon through early Monday morning.

So far this year, about 1,800 people have been shot across the city and more than 200 of those wounded have died of their wounds, according to records kept by the Chicago Tribune. A total of 306 people have been killed this year by shooting, stabbing or other means, Tribune records show.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-12-dead-at-least-41-hurt-in-weekend-shootings-20160620-story.html

good

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Imapanda posted:

someone answer this

Probably a lot of huge-rear end race riots that'll make the 90s look like a joke in comparison but you probably just hit the nail on the head as to why the drug war is really not going anywhere soon.

Internaut! posted:

edit: wait are you suggesting Toronto is a lily white city

I've been to Toronto a few times and it's pretty much as lily white as it gets outside of Portland.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
e: damnit

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
"at least i'm not racist!" - ycs chicago thread poster

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Lime Tonics posted:

Nativity rates surely can't compete with that, right ? Seems like the problem will solve itself.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

The Grey posted:

One time a cop pulled me over for going seven miles over the speed limit. He told me he normally wouldn't give out a ticket for this, but he had to so he wouldn't get accused for profiling. (I'm white.)

I got racially profiled by a traffic cop once. I'm white but he pulled me over because I wasn't the same color as the hooker in my passenger seat like wtf

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Just wait until you get lost while on a trip and the police give you a ticket for trying to buy drugs because 'there's no other reason a white person is down here.'

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Lime Tonics posted:

Making their absent fathers proud

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

ANd then you think, if you legalize drugs, what do these angry, disaffected youth with no hope and no prospects with loads of firearms do now that they have no way to make money and no reason to infight

I have an idea of what to do with all these hopeless, undereducated, disenfranchised, impovershed Blacks, but you're not going to like it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

paco650 posted:

I have an idea of what to do with all these hopeless, undereducated, disenfranchised, impovershed Blacks, but you're not going to like it.

I'll support anything just so long as I don't have to interact with anyone not online :ohdear:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Snatch Duster posted:

He isnt. This happened to me when I was in Chicago on business.

I've seen video of the cops doing it to tourists in SF too. It went something like: "hey you guys probably shouldn't hang out on this block at night, you might get robbed"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lime Tonics posted:

so is it just constant gang warfare? why don't the cops just take out the gangs? instead of doing corrupt poo poo and shooting random people.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'd vote to make guns free on the south side. 9 per household.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

I'll support anything just so long as I don't have to interact with anyone not online :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjrZ0e-I8LQ

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so is it just constant gang warfare? why don't the cops just take out the gangs? instead of doing corrupt poo poo and shooting random people.

Black lives take effort

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Darth123123 posted:

Black lives take effort

but like most of the city is black.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Haha! Oh man you really got those zingers on tap.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The mayor of chicago , rahm emanuel, just pretends these are isolated cases. Every single one is an isolated case. It starts there, and then apathy sets in.

Here is an op-ed I found just searching rahm chicago defeated.

Under Rahm Emanuel, Chicago redefined as homicidal haven

http://us.blastingnews.com/news/2016/06/under-rahm-emanuel-chicago-redefined-as-homicidal-haven-00975437.html

I do not think they can fix it, unless the whole administration is cleaned out, including the top level brass cops.

It won't happen though, politics.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

but like most of the city is black.

Chicago is 32% black.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This is what liberals actually believe.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

paco650 posted:

Give them opportunities to make better lives for themselves and their families?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Give them opportunities to make better lives for themselves and their families?

preposterous, everyone knows that if you give the poors opportunities they'll just buy 50 big-screen TVs and keep shooting each other over drugs and petty arguments

Besides, 99% of "poor" people already have refrigerators. If that isn't living the good life, I don't know what is :smug:

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

no i just posted Cool Runnings.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Bigger gangs had a bunch of the older leaders busted so there is a lot of younger members looking to make a name for themselves. Lotta fracturing within the gangs currently.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

These mostly aren't "gangs" like crips and bloods, they're usually just kids from two different blocks feuding over turf, or a girl or twitter drama. There's no centralized leadership and the cops can barely keep track. One person gets shot, his friends retaliate: rinse and repeat.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

Bug Bill Murray posted:

These mostly aren't "gangs" like crips and bloods, they're usually just kids from two different blocks feuding over turf, or a girl or twitter drama. There's no centralized leadership and the cops can barely keep track. One person gets shot, his friends retaliate: rinse and repeat.

so what you're saying is that there needs to be a pair of star-crossed lovers who constantly bite there thumbs and then i choke leonardo di caprio to death with my dick?

'cause i'm down

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
like if you bite your thumb every time

e: here's some important background for this big ol' mess we're in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrini%96Green_Homes

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Off to a bad start already,

The city of Chicago is dealing with a major spike in gun violence. Ten people were shot overnight Friday.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chicago-struck-by-spike-in-deadly-gun-violence/

Stay safe on the 4th.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It is a good thing when this happens, 4 dead, 51 wounded in July 4th weekend Chicago violence, according to this guy.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/4-dead-51-wounded-in-july-4th-weekend-chicago-violence/1413846/

"On a night of Fourth of July fireworks celebrations, it was by no means a victory lap by the superintendent. But he said proactive policing, including a sweep of gang members, made a difference this weekend.

With Washington Park and July Fourth barbecues as a backdrop, there was cautious optimism on Monday night from Chicago's top cop, Supt. Eddie Johnson.

"We're making progress. It's not success yet, but these are just... this goes a long way, I think, to letting everybody know that we are focusing on the right individuals," said Johnson."

Some say that the weather being not as hot helped.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
If it would've stayed 90 degrees the streets would be running in blood

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

If it would've stayed 90 degrees the streets would be running in blood

And I would have gotten more of a tan. This 4th sucked because it was cloudy all day at the beach.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Mexican Cartels look like Fortune 500 companies compared to these guys. Get some professionalism for God's sake! Come on Chicago get your poo poo together. The Spice must flow so stop fighting and start making money !

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Its basically like if you gave a bunch of cashiers small caliber weapons to sort things out at work

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
trump should build a wall but it should be around the midwest instead of mexico

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

china bot posted:

like if you bite your thumb every time

e: here's some important background for this big ol' mess we're in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrini%96Green_Homes

a lot of the people displaced by the destruction of cabrini green, robert taylor, etc. have relocated to exotic locales such as dekalb. ghetto in the cornfields indeed.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
The poors were taking up valuable real estate so you destroy the projects, and ship them all to the suburbs, it's really funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

vols bitch posted:

trump should build a wall but it should be around the midwest instead of mexico

This

• Locked thread