Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

198X - Santa Carla, California

Glams, goths, and geeks! School's out and this summer is going to be totally righteous! It's Santa Carla's annual Beach Week, a nine-day-long celebration that takes over the city and turns it into a 24/7 party. Bon Jovi and Madonna are both booked for concerts! Radical! Only one problem: you're stuck in detention! Barf! Well, it's not like they can keep you in that library forever... and it's not like you were planning on getting much sleep anyway. So, don't be a space cadet! Take a chill pill, come up with a plan, and have the most tubular summer ever!

Santa Carla is the quintessential beach town, located in California. It was here that Hawaiian royalty first introduced surfing to the mainland--and locals and visitors alike have been riding the waves ever since. Not far from the surf break, calliope music and laughter fills the air at the Santa Carla Beach Boardwalk, the West Coast's oldest surviving seaside amusement park. A few blocks from the beach is Santa Carla's newly renovated downtown. The pedestrian-friendly, tree-lined streets are filled with vibrant shops and galleries, outdoor bistros and sidewalk musicians - all in keeping with Santa Carla's offbeat personality.

The Santa Carla Beach Boardwalk is an oceanfront amusement park in Santa Carla. It is California's oldest surviving amusement park and one of two seaside parks on the West Coast of the United States (the other being the Santa Monica Pier). The West Coast once hosted many more beach parks, including the Pike in Long Beach, California and Playland at San Francisco's Ocean Beach. Both have long since closed, but the Santa Carla Beach Boardwalk survives as a reminder of a bygone era in amusement.

Santa Carla High is the only public school in town, and seeks to educate the odd-thousand or so high-schoolers in the district. It's location next to the sandy dunes of Santa Carla means students often spend recess and lunch surfing, hanging out on the beach, or making out under the boardwalk. Recently, there's been rumors of students disappearing, but the police have blamed the recent rise in drugs and nightlife causing families to move away.

---

Monsterhearts is high school drama meets monster movie, and now I'm throwing in a little bit of Lost Boys, Breakfast Club, and basically every other '80s trope you can think of. If you want in, pick a skin, fill out a sheet, and add some backstory. Once there's a decent amount of apps and incoming ones have slowed down, I'll pick 5-7 for the game and get the IC thread up. Questions? PMs, or on SynIRC in #swampthings and #ferg.

Creation rules:

quote:

• What you did to get detention.
  • A song/music video.
  • A staff member or fellow student you know something weird about.
  • A place in the neighbourhood you know.
  • A hobby or interest you pursue outside of school
  • Optional: a title for the IC thread
Gameplay rules:
  • This is a fun game! Don't let it stress you out. Communicate with your fellow players and myself, and we'll figure out a way to get back on track. When in doubt, just post.
  • Try to be active! You don't have to post every day, but if people are waiting for your response to something, don't be surprised if they ask when that response is coming. If you are having trouble keeping up, let me know and we can work something out.
  • Additionally, I'll be trying to prompt once every two or three days, depending on whether it's needed. For NPC actions, I'll post more frequently, so don't worry about engaging an NPC and worrying it'll slow things down.
  • Monsterhearts is a game that frequently involves tricky subject matter (racism, homophobia and other forms of shittiness, physical/emotional abuse), just kind of by definition. If any of you get freaked out during play, please talk to me about it. Its important people feel safe here -- I care more about your emotional well-being than I do about this storygame topic. After doing selections, I'll be bringing up any boundaries players have to try and make sure nothing comes up before hand, but again, if at any time something makes you uncomfortable, just say so, no need to explain why. Basically, everyone's fun and well-being is important, so we'll all collectively avoid being creeps or jerks, alright?

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know Skins for the Skinless is banned, but I've wanted to rehabilitate the Minotaur for a long time, and the 80's with Revenge of the Nerds and other tropes running high feels like a good setting to talk about a bully and being stuck in the labyrinth of high school. If the idea at base isn't something you'd be interested in, I'll pass on giving it a shot, but I definitely feel like trying to make something out of it if you feel the idea might fly. I have ideas to get away from the... Skins for the Skinless-iest parts of the Skin, like the dumb transformation move and unclear conditions. I want to simplify the central mechanic where it represents how the bully is always where you don't want him to be, or just around the corner, once you're on his list, until you show him up/find his weakness/etc, rather than the more abstract "in the maze" and "golden thread" thing. At this point though I'm just saying things, so let me know if you think it'd be worth taking a crack at it.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

I know Skins for the Skinless is banned, but I've wanted to rehabilitate the Minotaur for a long time, and the 80's with Revenge of the Nerds and other tropes running high feels like a good setting to talk about a bully and being stuck in the labyrinth of high school. If the idea at base isn't something you'd be interested in, I'll pass on giving it a shot, but I definitely feel like trying to make something out of it if you feel the idea might fly. I have ideas to get away from the... Skins for the Skinless-iest parts of the Skin, like the dumb transformation move and unclear conditions. I want to simplify the central mechanic where it represents how the bully is always where you don't want him to be, or just around the corner, once you're on his list, until you show him up/find his weakness/etc, rather than the more abstract "in the maze" and "golden thread" thing. At this point though I'm just saying things, so let me know if you think it'd be worth taking a crack at it.

Definitely worth a crack!

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
So, here's a concept. Your game is making me think of doing something inspired by The Graduate, and I figured I could make a Chosen who's just graduated high school. The thing is, their parents are really pressuring them for an answer as to whether they're going to take up the family trade or not. The best they could do was say "I'll think on it over the summer," which has given them until the first day of Fall to decide if they're going to embrace their destiny and all the perks and restrictions that entails, or throw it all away and effectively be disowned in order to go to college and live as normal a life as they can.

In 80s terms, they're that cool older guy who's got to decide whether to be a tradesman like their dad or go to college off athletic scholarship.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Krystal "Diamond" Alessi, the Queen

How are you doing, Santa Carla?! I am Diamond, and we are 4 Wild! Are you ready to rock?! 1! 2! 3! Go!

♫Just another average girl
Lookin' to make it in the world
These four teen girls will soon find
They can be the greatest act of all time!

Diamond!

Heart!

Spade!

Club!

We are 4 Wild
And we're anything but mild
We'll come and rock the halls
And you'll find we've got it all

You know you love us
You know you love us
You know you love us
YEAH!

Or, uh, something like that. Name's Krystal, I'm a singer, and we're going to become the biggest band in the country! We're already super popular at school! We're totally even gonna play the prom!

quote:

Krystal Alessi
Skin: The Queen
Look: Stunning, captivating eyes
Origin: Most popular kid in school

Hot +2
Cold +1
Volatile -1
Dark -1

Moves

The Clique
You’re at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around. They count as a gang. Choose one of the following strengths for your gang: they're talented.

The Shield
When you’re surrounded by your gang, subtract 1 from any rolls against you. (NPCs act at a Disadvantage.)

Growing Pains
When you fail to protect your friends, mark experience.

Sex Move

When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition one of them. While the Condition remains, they count as part of your gang.

Darkest Self

They’ve failed you. This is all their fault, and there’s no reason why you should have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy. You need to make an example out of each of them, a cruel and unwavering example. You escape your Darkest Self when you relinquish part of your power over to someone more deserving, or when you destroy an innocent person in order to prove your might.

4 Wild posted:

Guitar: Rhonda "Heart" Kane

Cool, collected, the bad girl of the group.

Bass: Sylvia "Spade" Damons

Delicate, kind, the sensitive girl of the group

Drums: Marcia "Club" Atkins

Brash, unpredictable, the wild girl of the group

What you did to get detention.

Well, we were kinda...out late at a show, and I didn't get much sleep. So I ended up falling asleep during Mrs. Gable's Spanish class. And when she yelled at me to wake me up, I kinda fell over in my desk. She didn't really appreciate that and well, I got sent to detention.

A song/music video.

Had to be Jem

A staff member or fellow student you know something weird about.

Ms. Ellen Baker is my English teacher, and one of my biggest advocates in the school. She's really kind and always gives me advice about the band. Of course, the thing nobody knows is that she was actually a big punk rocker when she was my age! She even had a mohawk! Of course, I'd never style my hair like that.

A place in the neighbourhood you know.

Club Junker is this really small music club in town. They have a lot of open mic nights, which are where 4 Wild usually performs. We're a favorite among the guests, and sometimes we're even a headlining act! The weird thing is that the club's always closed on the full moon. Guess Clyde must be superstitious or something.

A hobby or interest you pursue outside of school

My band, duh! We mostly play clubs and school events, but all we have to do is get noticed!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 24, 2016

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Interest Post/app goes here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0RjCtddhmA

Thread title proposal: 80s hearts: We're not gonna take it anymore!

quote:

The air grew cold in Santa Carla High, he stood upon the rafters, guitar, an old gibson Super 400C from 1939. His leather boots clanged against the rafters as he stood, his tall top hat hung crookedly on his long, wavy hair that covered most of his face. Tight black jeans, white t-shirt with a black skull upon it, and a black, leather flight jacket, slowly he slid down till his feet dangled from up above the floor and he began to play his guitar, he laid his head back and though back to the fights back then, his father's drunken attacks, the beer bottles thrown at him, the looks of fright from his mother, who quickly left the room. It had been ten long years that it took place.

"I'm not letting my son date no colored girl, nor take this bitch to his loving prom! I am not paying for any of that poo poo!" His father's drunkenness really brought out the racism that he bottled up during the day.

"Why are you always so ignorant! It is the 1970s! Jim Crow is over!" He yelled back as he grabbed his bag and started to the door, he was tired of this bullshit, with his guitar in his hand and a duffle bag full of rope, a couple of letters, and a knife to protect them that he stole from his dad, he got to the door when he heard his dad yell.

"YOU LEAVE AND YOU WILL NEVER HAVE A HOME TO COME BACK TO" his father yelled coldly, he could hear his mother's sobs from the room over, but she did nothing, so gently caress her. He stormed out of the house, got into his pinto, his first car and drove off, of course now he remember his father's words and laughed at it, it was true after all, he did stop having a home to go back to.

Blue Oyster Cult's (Don't Fear) the Reaper in the Casette player as he shot forward in the car, he pulled up to his girlfriend's house, a girl named Brie walks out of her small house and quietly gets in, she too, had seen some hard hits, he takes her hand in his and drove off. Slowly she slid into his arm and he held her as he drove to their final destination; Santa Carla High. "Are you sure you want to do this Brie?" he asks as he looks at the ceiling of the car "We can run away...start over..."

"And what? I...I am tired of it all James...it just hurts every day" she says as she feels his hand grasp hers "I feel the same"

They embrace in one last kiss, a long, solemn one, not out of passion, but one of regret, of ending. They reached the door to the gym and with a crowbar, pried it open, getting in quietly. They went into the backroom, and he got two ladders and tied the ropes into nooses...

He shook his head, that was then.

Since that night he has been alone...they found the bodies of course, and dragged them away. His dad was run out of town, and the two got cremated, and thrown away, not to be thought of again, a year later and no one wanted to acknowledge the deaths, but then, he had already guessed that. No one cares about the dead in the long term. If it doesn't personally affect them they just don't care. He laid his head back and continued strumming. He has gone by several aliases in the school, never able to really leave the school for good for whatever reason. He never really figured out why, but it probably has to do with his death spot, or so he told himself. He can leave the school grounds and he does so, his favorite spot is a coffee shop hidden underneath some antique store, it isn't heavily frequented by anyone but goths and poetry lovers so for him it's like a second home, that and he can work the group there to usually get himself a cappacino. He also usually attempts to form a band of some kind but it has thus far fallen flat because the bassists always flake, the drummer complains when you tell him not to just bang on the drums all day, and the vocalist carries a tune like a wiffle ball carries water.

He found that he could easily get into the goth groups, and hang out with them, however, he usually ends up stealing what he needs...since he has no money nor really a will to work. Every night when it is silent in the school, he thinks back to that night, pondering why he was the only one to come back...and that he missed brie. That night he was resting on his bed in the rafter when he heard a voice from down below. It wasn't the PE teacher leading a group of nerdy looking kids into his office to play D&D, that was something he was sure of, since it was a school night.

"CALVIN! WHAT ARE YOU DOING UP THERE?!" the voice yelled, of course he was startled, and yes he did fall, but, being a ghost, it wasn't exactly the most painful experience. He stood up and looked at the principal, it wasn't the rear end in a top hat from back then, but still an rear end in a top hat is an rear end in a top hat "Doing drugs, all of them" it was a lie of course, but he didnt' give a poo poo, he would be back later that night and sleep in his back up spot, behind the bleachers in the basketball court.

"Now listen here young man!" the principal started "I don't like the tone of your voice"

"I don't like the tone of your face, but you won't change that now will you"

"That's it! I am calling your parents and you are getting detention!"

"Aww go ahead and suspend me, I don't mind"

"No, I believe in you, and I want you to succeed whether or not you want to"

"Aww it almost sounds like you care"

quote:

Name: "Calvin "Ghost" McCallough"
Skin: Ghost
Concept: Suicide Pact "survivor"
Look: Brooding, Hollow Eyes

Stats:
Hot: -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, you both get to ask a question of one another’s characters. This can be spoken by your character, or simply asked player-to-player. The other person must answer honestly and directly.

Darkest Self:
You become invisible. No one can see you, feel you, or hear your voice. You can still affect inanimate objects, but this is your only avenue of communication. You escape your Darkest Self when someone acknowledges your presence, and demonstrates how much they want you around.

Ghost Moves:
Unresolved Trauma
Whenever you project the blame and trauma of your death onto your current situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, give two people the blamed condition. On a 7-9, give up to two people the blamed condition, but for each, choose one:
- You gain the delusional condition,
- You can’t speak during this scene,
- You suffer one harm,
- You start re-enacting the scene of your death.

Dissipate
You can walk through walls.

Short Rest for the Wicked
When you die, wait it out. Some hours later, you wake up fully healed.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 26, 2016

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Stella Masters

This is so not excellent. I get detention on what should be the best day of my life. I've been planning this trip for years. I mean, high school has been the best nine years of my life, but if I don't get to see Madonna on-stage I'm gonna explode.

Yes, nine years. I'm not stupid; would a stupid person know the square of the hypotenuse of an isosceles triangle is equal to the squares of the remaining sides?
You see, I'm just biding my time, waiting to see if The One might pass by. I know it's a total pipe dream, right? But sooner or later someone's just gotta appeal to my high standards. I mean, love at first sight doesn't even exist. You'd think first sight would have happened by now, and it might have for them, but it still hasn't hit me, so I'm still all alone. It's tough being this pretty. Takes a lot of work.
And one... grody little secret.

See, I'm a vampire. Not the kind you're thinking of; gag! No, this is more like that Anne Rice book kinda thing. Mostly the immoral stuff, like staying forever young. It's served me some use under the covers, but it has its flaws. Like killing people. I only kill the people who disgust me though. In my search for my eternal companion, I find someone who might fit my criteria, but then they always have one red flag and I have to throw them away. If it's not one thing, it leads to another! How am I supposed to live forever when I have to spend it all with pigs?

Okay, so, like, I saw a vision of Death or something, when me and my now-ex-boyfriend Preston Waits got in a fight while driving up the highway to San Fran and ran off the road. We should have died, but Death, you see, made us both a deal:
If we said, separately and without inner-communicating, that we loved one another, we'd be judged at Purgatory.
If we said we didn't love each other, we'd be sent to the backside of Purgatory, to wait untold lifetimes for our final judgment.
If one of us said we were in love, and the other one didn't, the lover would be dropped to Hell and the un... unlover would live back on Earth until they find their "truest love."

Guess what I said. Sorry Pretzels. Sad.

Anyway, Death made me a vampire as punishment for my betrayal, something about the carnal desires of humanity and the sorry soul scarring my existence. All that talk, trying to get the last laugh, but it just sounded like bluffs to me. I mean, Death should know I'm a vegetarian.
Except for the blood, duh.

But it's cool. I get my pick of anyone still in their prime, and I'll always be in mine. I've been many a poor boy's downfall when they decide I'm not good enough for them. Like, wrong answer, dork. Dead.

That's the best part, really. Seeing my former conquests lead lives of, let's say, ill repute. I can ruin them whenever I want. I have all the time in the world too. Maybe I'll get to see someone die of old age, or die for me like Cleopatra or whoever. And I can just say, "No, you weren't the one for me," and move on to someone less mortified.

As long as I lock my heart away and keep giving out love bites, I can live basically forever. Even if that means never getting what Preston gave me, eternal life is its own reward. You know what they say: High school will be the best years of your life.

And I'm still reeling in the years.

quote:

Name: Stella Masters
Skin: The Mummy (by KittyEmpress)
Look: Proud, with desirous eyes
Origin: Deal with Death

Hot 0, Cold +1, Volatile -1, Dark +1

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, if they do not have Entombed: Entomb them, and clear the condition from every other character with Entombed.
If they are Entombed, remove the Entombed condition from them, clear a condition of your own and gain a string on them. You both take +1 forward.

Darkest Self
It's all yours and you need to prove it - take whatever means necessary to show that the world is yours. Entomb anyone you can see has any value, and keep the others away from them, with violence if you have to. Don’t hold back if they refuse you; teach them what it means to deny their Lord what is deserved. Exit Darkest Self when you either take your punishment too far and do something you can't take back, or when somebody stronger than you denies you by force.

Skin Moves
Mummy's Curse
You have an ongoing +1 against anyone that is Entombed. However, you and them both know you have claimed them as rightfully yours, so you cannot tag Entombed in your moves against them.

Lingering Resentment
When someone clears Entombed through any means besides your Sex Move, take a +1 forward against them, but only to Lash Out Physically, Shut Them Down, or Manipulate an NPC into hurting them in some way. If you Shut Them Down, you cannot apply Entombed as a condition.

Scorned King’s Wrath
When someone with the Entombed condition scorns you when you offer your affections or aid, you can roll to Lash Out Physically with Dark.

Good King’s Court
When you listen to someone else’s problems and offer them comfort, they clear a condition from and;
If you did so genuinely, take +1 forward to lash out against what caused their problem.
If you did so to look good to them or others, take a string on them.

The Feeding (Vampire)
You feed on hot blood. If this is the first time they've ever been fed upon, you both mark experience. When you feed, choose two:
- you heal 1 harm previously suffered,
- you carry 1 forward,
- they don't die.

Background
Someone rejected your benevolence, take a string on them.
Someone welcomed your greatness properly, Entomb them and give them two strings on you.

quote:

What you did to get detention:
What do you think I did?
Trick question: I cursed out a teacher because she accused me of cheating on a test. And then I accused her husband of cheating on her. She forgot what we started arguing about to yell about my habits, which is just fine for me because I totally cheated on that test. I convinced one of my guys let me use his notes. I passed, he failed, I got stuck here for the "altercation" so it doesn't even matter.

quote:

A song/music video:
The Outfield - Your Love
You know I like my girls a little bit older / I just wanna use your love tonight.
Daryl Hall & John Oates - Maneater
Oh-oh, here she comes / Watch out boy, she'll chew you up.

quote:

A staff member or fellow student you know something weird about :

How about this one: Topher Scagliotti thinks he can one-up me. He plays with love like I do, but the way he works is so... juvenile. It's almost like he actually tries to get held back, and he just keeps screwing high schoolers. He's got to be like 19 by now. Makes me sick.
He also has a crooked dick, but you so did not hear that from me.

quote:

A place in the neighborhood you know:
Terry's is a drive-in diner just off the main stretch. Yes, a drive-in. I totally get what you're saying, but ever since Happy Days aired people have been getting all nostalgic about the "days gone by" of our parent's youth. I don't get it myself, but whatever.
Anyway, that guy Terry Morgan decided to cash in on the whole fad by doing a total makeover of his lovely fast food joint. Now it's the talk of the town. Or at least that's what Terry tells everyone.
It's also a good place to get picked up if you need an alibi.

quote:

A hobby or interest you pursue outside of school:
You know, I've been around this area for so long, I've seen fads come and go, and I think I'm on the verge of something.
Fashion is something I'm proud of. Being on the cutting edge is everything. I have like half a studio in my bedroom.
Part of why I never invite anyone to my place unless they're really deserving. Only Pretzel's ever seen it.

Thread Title:
[MondoHearts] Everybody Wants To Roll +Cold

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 1, 2016

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Name: Hope Moonlight Songbreeze
Skin: Werewolf
Themesong

If my name didn't immediately make it obvious, my mom is a hippie. Not just a hippy, a hard core "new earth" drugs and rock and roll hippy. I grew up in a *commune* for gods sake. Its a miracle that I'm not more screwed up than I am, considering my mom was a mix of blazed and drunk the entire time she was pregnant with me. Not that 17 year old hippies are known for their brilliant decision making. I have no idea who my dad was, and neither does my mom, since I'm a "child of the commune". Code for "I had so much sex with so many men." Not that I particularly care. Every drugged up hippie is the same. Oh they'll tell you they're not. They pretend they believe in different things. Tantric chacras versus "inner light". It's all the same bullshit, designed to make them think their empty, stupid lives of drugs have meaning.

Me? I'm not like those losers. No. I ran away from the commune when I was 14. I knew what I wanted to be! I was going to be a hero! I had heard the stories from "Crazy Jim", who was, by all accounts, crazy. He didn't drink, or smoke, or even like... party. He was *hosed up*, his face had this lattice of scars that made it look like he'd had a lawnmower run over it. He didn't talk much, when he did though, he told stories. Every so often, if you prodded him right. He'd talk about the darkness brewing in the concrete jungle. The doom that encroached. The monsters that wore human skin. The dead that returned to feast on the living. When he talked his eyes grew dark, and it was almost like he was talking about his own life. No one believed him, but I knew better. I'd seen the sword he carefully kept buried in the forest. Perks of not being constantly high.

I went to New York. Where I quickly learned a number of things. One. People in New York? They really don't take kindly to "whats up maaaaaaaan". Two. Monsters? They're a thing. They're big, dangerous, and will gently caress you up like its no ones business. Three. Lychanthropy can be transmitted if you're loving stupid and try to hunt a werewolf armed with a baseball bat and more guts than common sense. I don't remember too much about how it went down. At that point I had been living off of scraps and uh... "communal sharing" aka theft for the better part of two months. I don't know if you've ever had to interact with a hobo in NY, but they're mean motherfuckers, so by that point I was pretty tough, for a kid who had come off of a place where the most intense physical confrontation consisted of "hey man, that's not like coooooool" and then smoking a joint. I hadn't given up on my dream though. I was going to kill a monster. Become a hero. I got... lucky? I don't know if lucky is the right word, but the full moon was out, and I saw it. Stalking the streets. I followed. Down an alley. I remember the sheer stink of the alley. My face pressed against the stinking mud and urine, as I bled. Crying, because I thought I was dying.

Waking up at the hospital. White rooms and white walls with white doctors. The police came to see me. They brandished words like "truant", "delinquent", "troubled". Turns out there are laws about not going to school and stuff. Oh also I don't exist because I don't even have a birth certificate. I would have run away again, but everything hurt. So I waited. They relocated me to a "home", when my wounds healed, and well, it sucked, but it sucked a lot less than having to eat from trash bins and steal. Plus, I knew then, that monsters were real, and I could fight them.

I had a slight shock my first full moon. By slight I mean "thankfully, my room had a window", because I bolted. Apparently wolf me isn't that violent. More focused on the wilds, and nature. He's a hippy wolf. Which you know, is just great. Turns out the hippie was in me all along. I'm pretty sure I ate an entire deer that night. Hippie but not vegetarian. I woke up in the middle of the forest, covered in blood, like twenty feet from a deer carcas. I was... slightly freaked out.

That's when I ran away again. Seems to be my MO. Decided I'd go to california. Why cali? Cause it was the furthest I could get from New York. I walked at first. My first stop was a tiny town called Alexandria. That's where I met the love of my life. She was a bit beat up, but absolutely gorgeous. I swear, I don't think my heart has ever raced faster. She was shiny and neon and pink, with a v8 injection engine and loud like you wouldn't believe. Just racing across the abandoned highway. The owner, who I later learned was named Katy, was one tough bitch. She saw me eyeing her ride, and she knew I was hooked. She did something no one had done for me before then. She offered me a job. I took it. Spent a year and a half working in her garage. She was tough, but fair, and I learned a lot. By the time I was done, I could fix a car about as well as I could drive one. In that time, I didn't see a single monster. I looked. Hard and long. I got the feeling that something other than me was watching over the town. That... was a little disturbing, but I put it out of my head. Moonlit nights I just went into the forest. For some reason the citizens of Alexandria didn't really wander there at night. Or ever. Something about the specters of the men who were buried alive there haunting the forest. If they exist, they certainly didn't tangle with wolf me.

Which was just as well, because about then is when the police showed up. Apparently they thought my disappearance was an "abduction". I guess the signs were all there. A destroyed window. Bloodied clothes. Yeah, I can see it. Still, like hell was I gonna go back. So I paid Katie for the beat up old roadster she'd been letting me work on, and got out of there. I made my way to Cali, one bit at the time. Racing all the way there. I made enough to get by, fixing cars, betting on races. Realizing I didn't even have a drivers licence. I managed. It was a lot more fun than anything I'd done before. I was alive, like I'd never been.

That's how I wound up in Santa Carla. I really didn't have a plan for what to do when I actually *got* here. So I decided. I'd do two things.

First: I'd actually become a hero. Find a monster. Slay it. Prove that I'm not just some kid that got punked by a werewolf. Make the world a better place.

Two: Make Santa Carla the drag racing capital of the west!

Step one was actually registering for high-school. Can't afford to be arrested for truancy. Which I somehow managed by lying through my teeth... and breaking into the office to replace some forms. Hey, you do what you gotta, right? I found a cheap apartment I can afford by working part time at the car-repair shop. Its not ideal, but for now it'll do. Its run by a crazy old woman, Mrs. Lawnicazk, as long as I pay in cash, she asks no questions. Which is good, cause I really don't have any documentation.

There's this huge party thing coming up, and I'm ridiculously stoked. Like, that's prime racing time.

This is going to be my best year yet.

quote:

Name: Hope Moonlight Songbreeze
Skin: Werewolf
Look: Rugged, Fierce Eyes
Origin: Bitten

Stats:
Hot: 1 Cold: -1 Volatile: 2 Dark: -1

Moves

Uncontainable
When you attempt to escape any form of physical entrapment, roll with volatile. On a 10 up, you escape. • On a 7-9 the MC will offer you a hard bargain: agree if you want to escape.

Primal Dominance
When you harm someone, take a String on them.

Take the Blow (from the chosen)
When you leap into the way and take the blow instead of someone else, roll with Volatile. On a 10 up, you take the harm instead of them, but reduce it by 1. • On a 7-9, you take the harm instead of them

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Darkest Self
You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Backstory
You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

quote:

I got into a fight with that rear end in a top hat, Bernard Wigin, he was picking on some freshman girl, Lauren, being a complete skeeze. I wasn't going to stand for that, so I told him to bugger off. He didn't take too kindly to that. We scrapped. I'm short, but I pack one hell of a right jab. He definitely looked worse for the wear, but Mr. Harvey was non-too happy with us. So detention. Woo.

quote:

A song/music video.
Highway to the danger zone

quote:

You can't tell anyone, but Mrs. Elheart, the biology teacher? I think she's banging Mr. Porkov, the principal. I saw her come out of his office the other day, her shirt open a little bit, and looking pale. She was muttering to herself, as if in some kind of trance. I'm pretty sure they were getting blazed together.

quote:

The Racetrack, its located a couple miles outside town, used to be a horse racing track, but it got abandoned after some scandal involving money laundering and a dead horse. Now we race cars there. Vanessa, my car, lives in the old covered garage behind it. It makes me a little nervous to not be able to check on her every day, but I can't have her any closer to me, I'm not technically allowed to drive.

There's also The Goblet, its a seedy little bar on the other side of town. They're actually pretty good about not letting minors drink, but if you want they'll let you use their pool tables on the cheap, no matter your age. It's a little out of the way, and rumors say that people have been kidnapped there, but if that's the case, I haven't seen it.

quote:

Really man? I haven't clued you in yet? Or do you mean besides racing and hunting monsters? Well, its a *little* embarrassing, but uh... I write poetry. If you tell anyone, I'll kill you. I picked it up from my mom, ok? Her mom had been some kind of English teacher, and my mom would recite stupid little poems all the time. I like how they sound. I'm crap, but at least they usually rhyme?

TheCog fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 24, 2016

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ferg game time going to app something!~

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Making a gentry or serpentine or possibly a Gentrytine? Serpenty? watch this space.

Natasha Rosenkova the Gentry

Let's get one thing straight from the start, I'm just better than you. No offence intended it's a simple statement of fact. You do awfully well considering your handicap of being only human. But see the blood of royalty flows through my veins and not just your ordinary rather tawdry human royalty with their gauche divorces and affairs and rather sad little secrets. No I'm talking about the true royalty the true nobility. The Lords and Ladies, the people across the border the fair folk. The Fae.

Don't act so shocked surely it's obvious I was something more than human, better than human. Hell look at the success my family has achieved over the years. My uncle the political power-broker, my father the businessman my brother the scientist. But all that success cannot buy us what we most desire, vengeance.

Let me tell you a story about Faeries, Once long ago there was a wise and noble king beloved by almost all his subjects, he ruled fairly and justly governing his people through better and worse times. But no king can rule without enemies and this enemy was one he called friend. The Usurper, even today we will not use that vile traitors name. He was the kings chief advisor and he became jealous of the kings success of his wisdom of his power and hate began to fester in his heart. So in secret he organised a coup and overthrew the wise and noble king. The kings family he exiled from their home doomed to wander in the wilderness. And so that is how we came to America just one more exild noble family the victim of a revolution. Although given the pseudonym my grandfather chose not exactly the one most people expect.

Still in secret we have rebuilt our power with the same skill and ruthlessness we ruled and it's only a matter of time before The Usurper and his brood are pulled down from his falsely claimed throne and we take back what is ours. That's where I come in like all my family I swore an oath to do whatever was necessary to regain our power. If only I had known what that was going to cost me... See in order to secure a vital alliance my father has decided I need to be married off to one of the old traditional families no doubt to some chinless wonder who expects a royal broodmare to make cow-eyes at him and laugh at his stupid jokes. Still it's not like I have much choice. I can't walk away from everything my family has struggled for these last few generations. I can't abandon them to be my own person. Can I?

quote:

Photography of course. It is my art, my vocation, my talent and my joy. I have a knack for finding the right picture of framing the world just so. Of capturing emotion and feeling on film. I even persuaded my parents to let me set up my own little dark room in one of the old wine cellars. Our art teacher Mr Hamilton says I have a genuine gift and has even encouraged me to think about pursuing some sort of photography course at college. He said I could easily earn a scholarship if I had too. Not that I would need one of course but the acknowledgement of how good I am would be worthwhile. But it seems like college is going to be out of the question now.

quote:

It was all a complete misunderstanding. I was taking some photos for my portfolio. I was using one of my best models Allison Harding Yes she wasn't wearing many clothes that part was true. No we were not doing that get your mind out of the gutter. And no we weren't making pornography despite what Coach Anderson might have said. He just doesn't understand art and when I called him a philistine and he found a dictionary to look up what that meant he gave me an extra detention for "sass". Idiot man wouldn't know art if it jumped up and bit him on the behind.

quote:

A song/music video.

Tears for Fears-Everybody wants to rule the World

quote:

Mr Roberts the principal is weird. My family have been trying to get some dirt on him for years but the guys teflon coated. He doesn't smoke, doesn't drink, doesn't gamble, doesn't womanise. Heck we even got hold of his tax returns and every payment was accounted for perfectly and he paid each and every last cent. He has to be hiding something no one can be that squeaky clean. No one human anyway.

quote:

The Northpoint Golf Coursesome bright spark of an entrepreneur decided to open a golf course here of all places supposedly to cater to some of the more high-end touristy types. It was apparently doing great until the cops found someone dead in the bunkers of the 14th 16th and 17th Holes. Yeah they said it looked like this mysterious victim was cut into a couple of parts. Someone must have really had a grudge against him, or against whoever owns the golf course. Either way it's shutdown while the police continue their investigations. But apparently they haven't caught anyone yet...

quote:

Optional: a title for the IC thread

WIP

quote:

Name: Natasha Rosenkova
Look: Willowy, Curious eyes
Skin: The Gentry
Origin: Fallen Royalty

Stats:

Hot: 2
Cold: 1
Volatile: -1
Dark: -1

Darkest Self:

Your parents were right. This is how they repay your kindness? This is how they repay you for the honor of your presence? The only thing left is to make them pay for every gift they took without deserving it. Systematically, you’re going to go down the list and get back what is yours.

You recover when you’ve taken back everything you deserve, or when someone capable of it knocks you off your pedestal.

Sex Move:

When you and another character have sex, choose if you believe it to be True or False love. If it is True, your parents are now upset at you unless it was the specific partner they had in hand, and everyone else you have Yours Truly on is healed of that condition. If it is False, your partner is healed of Yours Truly and gets +1 forward on their next action against you.

Moves:

Faery Boon:

You may offer someone else a faery boon, allowing them to:
-Open 1 passage they otherwise would have been barred from
-Take 1 forward on 1 goal for the rest of the scene
-Get an honest answer to 1 question
In exchange, they take the condition Yours Truly [you feel like you should be thankful, but also resent it a little, and it's definitely not completely above board]. If they spurn your kindness, give them a string.

Golden Child:

As long as you’re in your parents’ good graces, you can Run Away with their assistance. Even on a miss they arrange matters so you get away, but pick two from the 7-9 list.

Sans Merci:

When you Shut Down someone with the Yours Truly condition, on a 7+ they take 1 harm at your discretion.

Failing Dynasty

In the age of serpents Faeries, your family was powerful and prolific. Now, they live in a shadow of their former glory. They want
to regain (choose one): their political clout

Whenever you are convinced to do the bidding of a family member, carry1 forward to doing it and that family member gains a String on you. Whenever
you help your family regain some of their former glory, mark experience.

Advancements:

Your Backstory

You sort those you are fond of into two piles, Friends and Possessions. They are both valuable, of course, but… different kinds of value.

Friends:

Possessions:

Someone has resisted all your attempts to make a friend of them so far. Give them two strings.

Someone would be happier as your possession than your friend. Take two strings on them.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 26, 2016

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Looking at doing an over-dramatic theatre nerd, possibly a Fae. I'll come up with something soon enough.

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
Zakkariah Price, the Angel

"I know what it feel like to be the outsider. Trust me, I'm a long, long way from home. You wanna tell me what's on your mind? Maybe I can help. It's always better to get it off your chest than to hold a grudge."

"I've been around for a while. Not in Santa Carla, just around. Back when I first got here there was so much to do. There still is actually. Humans are such flawed creations--beautiful, but flawed. They have so much potential but have never seemed to be able to realize it. Back when my dad and I (you people would call him God) were still talking that is what we were all about. We tried to help people and show them the Way. We guided them away from their sins and temptations, but all of the sudden dad just seemed to give up. After that whole Jesus thing he just left humanity to their own free will and turned a blind eye. All the Angels were supposed to just go along with it an return to Heaven, but I couldn't do it. I just couldn't let all of those people sprint straight into Hell.

I stopped counting how many people I tried to help or how long I've been here. I just kept going until one day there I am in downtown San Francisco and the cops come up to me asking why I wasn't in school. Where are my parents? Where do I live? Show me some ID. I can't very well tell them that I'm an Angel, they would think I was insane, so I just had to go along with them. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal. I would just ask dad to get me out of the jam. So I pray...and I prayed...and I prayed. No answer. I didn't even get the machine. Dad just...forgot about me. The cops thought I was a runaway, but when they couldn't find me on file and all I would tell them is that my dad left me when I was young they put me into the system.

I bounced around in foster care for a while until eventually they found me a home in Santa Carla. Jim and Martha are my new parents. They're nice enough, but they just don't get me. We don't click. Jim is an accountant and Martha is a grade school teacher. They could never have children of their own and ended up with a teenager (well, I look like a teen anyway), so they don't really seem to know what to do with me. They make sure I do well in class, take me to church on Sundays, and ask how was my day. It's all pretty pedestrian. Since I started going to Santa Carla High I have gotten into a few fights and was caught shoplifting once (I was trying to give a sandwich to a homeless guy, swear). Jim tries to tell me what I'm doing is bad and thinks grounding is an effective punishment, but he doesn't understand what I'm here for. Some of these kids at the school are so lost. They just screw up right and left, and they need somebody to help them change their ways. I guess saving SCH isn't exactly like redeeming Sodom and Gomorrah, but every little bit counts, ya know? I just wish dad knew I was doing it all for him...

quote:

Name: Zakkariah "Zakk" Price
Skin: Angel
Look: Distant, Wounded Eyes
Origin: Forgotten

Stats:
Hot: -1
Cold: 1
Volatile: 1
Tresspass/Forgiveness: 0

Moves:

Cast From Heaven
You no longer have a dark stat. Instead, you have a scale, moving between Trespass and Forgiveness. It starts at 0. When asked to roll with dark, roll with Trespass instead. Whenever you subjugate yourself to someone else’s will, move the marker toward Forgiveness. Whenever you judge and punish others without the lord’s permission, move the marker toward Trespass. If Trespass or Forgiveness is highlighted, mark experience whenever you roll with that stat or shift the marker in that direction.

Halo
When you turn someone on, roll with Forgiveness.

Gaze Into Heaven
When you gaze into heaven, as a servant of the lord, roll with Forgiveness. On a 10 up, you are filled with his voice, and may ask him for guidance or command. Carry one forward to whatever you’d like. • On a 7-9, you are greeted by one of his emissaries, who will impart to you a mission. Carry one forward to completing that mission.

When you gaze into heaven, as a spurious and hateful child, it counts as gazing into the abyss. On a 10 up, add this option to the list: the visions show you what the lord fears most from you, and you carry 1 forward to realizing that fear. • On a 7-9, add this option to the list: the visions show you how you have upset or bewildered the lord.

Sex Move
When you have sex, you are reminded of your purpose here on earth. Lose one of your Skin moves and gain a different one.

Darkest Self
You've fought so hard to distance yourself from the lord, to establish autonomy and independence. In doing so, you've unwittingly stumbled into the service of another power greater than yourself. You will carry out their will as if it were your own. Whenever possible, you'll convince yourself that you're doing this of your own volition. You escape your Darkest Self when you realize who's been tempting you down this dark path, and beg others to save you.

Backstory
The lord loves someone else more than he loves you. Naturally, a rivalry has sprung up. You gain two Strings on them, and they gain one on you.

Someone reminds you of heaven. They gain a String on you.

quote:

"People seem to like picking on me. I dunno why. Maybe I just look like I'm easy to push around, but I have a pretty good left hook. I showed Trent Turner after he knocked my books out of my hands and so I'm back in detention...again. I gotta figure out how to keep my cool and not lose my temper."

quote:

A song/music video.

John Waite - Missing You

quote:

The gym teacher, Mr. Haskel, drinks in his office sometimes. I hear him talking on the phone too and he always sounds so sad. I think his marriage might be on the rocks.

quote:

A place in the neighborhood you know.

Saint Lawrence the Martyr catholic church. Maybe it's not cool to still go to church, but I have a lot of stuff to work out and the church is my only way to talk to my dad, err, I mean The Lord anymore. I go every Sunday and sometimes on my way home if I have a bad day. I guess I go there a lot actually. I wish I got more answers though...

quote:

A hobby or interest you pursue outside of school.

I like boxing. It really helps to clear my head, and it's a great workout. Plus, like I said, it gives me a hell of a hook and I have to use it a lot more than I would like. The Lord says to turn the other cheek, but when somebody hits you on both all bets are off.

ilootthecorpse fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 26, 2016

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Donald Dusenbach
also known as: Donny Douche, Donny Dickwad
The Infernal

Donny ‘before’.

Donny, with a little help from his new friend.

Donny is pretty much at the bottom of the Santa Clara High food chain, along with all the other comic-book-reading, D&D-playing, Computer Club-joining geeks and dorks. His home life isn’t much better: Mom has been out of the picture for a while, and Dad is as cold and distant as the computers he works with.

His only refuge is the local library, which just got itself a computer—a second-hand IMSAI 8080 with 8-inch floppy drive, 1200-baud modem, the works. Donny helps out Mrs Baker, the elderly librarian, in exchange for time on the computer, which he’s already used to hack the school records.

Dad doesn’t talk about his work, but one day he left his briefcase at home and Donny’s curiosity got the better of him. He found what looked like the number and password for a computer bulletin board, a weird one. One of its users is a shadowy figure with the kind of access Donny dreams about--the credit card company, the phone company, the power company, even the SCPD. The shadow can give Donny that access…for a few small favours.

Then things get weird. It flashes some lights through the screen at him and his acne clears up. It flashes some more lights and he doesn't need glasses anymore. The favours get weirder too, even dangerous, but Donny wouldn’t dream of giving this up...

What you did to get detention: Got caught snooping around the school computer. Luckily no one figured out he'd been been looking for the password...and found it.

Song/music video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Q35e0-fPQ

A staff member or fellow student you know something weird about :
With his new-found access to computer systems, Donny's been looking up information on everyone in town. Except for Max, the school janitor. There don't seem to be any records on Max at all.

A place in the neighbourhood you know:
The library is Donny's refuge from everything--he even has his own key for when he locks up sometimes. Most of the library's collection was a bequest from some old guy who died alone. The basement is full of his weird old books that nobody wants to read.

A hobby or interest you pursue outside of school:
Besides Computer Club? Donny's Dungeons & Dragons group plays most days in an empty classroom during lunch hour.

quote:

Name: Donald “Donny” Dusenbach
Skin: Infernal
Look: Quiet; flickering eyes
Origin: Lackey

Stats:
Hot: 0
Cold: -1
Volatile: 1
Dark: 1

Moves:
Soul Debt
Donny owes a debt to ’Shadow’, the mysterious hacker on the Hall of Mirrors BBS. It can hold Strings against him. Whenever it collects 5 Strings, trigger Donny's Darkest Self.

Unknowable
When you lash out physically against someone, on a 10 up, they lose 1 String on you. On a 7-9, add to your list of options: they lose 1 String on you.

Bargains:
The Power Flows Through You
You can give the dark power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll (choose before rolling).

Uncanny Voices
You can give the dark power a String in order to realize a secret about someone you’re talking to. The owner of that character will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

Sex Move
When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Darkest Self
You can’t get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended demands of you, and it’ll promise you some lucrative (and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you ful ll brings you a little closer to feeling whole again, to rekindling the re in your heart. Whenever you ful ll those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

Backstory
You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 26, 2016

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

A Neighbor should appear here shortly.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Unknown Quantity: Sounds good.

ilootthecorpse: Oh god. Santa Carla. San Francisco. Sorry I'm a horrible editor person.

All: I lost PMs, so just ask on IRC or email me at my name @ gmail.

--

Everyone: Beach Week festivities started Friday night, with a party at Gary Powers' house. Who do you see there? Make a move against them. What happens? Also, what do you do for the rest of the weekend? Detention starts on Monday... better get your kicks in before it starts.

Krystal "Diamond" Alessi: Do you have any shows during Beach Week? What big gig were you turned down from? How did you react? How did the rest of your band react?

Calvin "Ghost" McCallough: Man, rough (after)life. Where is your family now? Do you even care? Who are your friends now? Do they know your secret?

Stella Masters: Does anybody notice that you never graduate and just keep attending? Who have you conquered in the nine years since your "deal?" Which one of them rejected you afterwards, and what did you do in response?

Hope Moonlight Songbreeze: Boy, what a life. Who do you currently drag race with? Any rivals? And with this detention, what will you do if you are going to miss a race because of it?

Natasha Rosenkova: Who is one of the Usurper's agents in town? Do they know about you and your family? What are your plans to deal with them? What distracts you from your family's agenda?

Zakkariah Price: Who have you gotten in fights with? What is currently distracting you from completing your mission? What would it take to give in to that temptation?

Donald Dusenbach: Have you ever talked to the shadow away from the computer? Have you ever tried? What's one thing it's asked you to do that you really don't want to do? Did you do it?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Frgrbrgr posted:

Donald Dusenbach: Have you ever talked to the shadow away from the computer? Have you ever tried? What's one thing it's asked you to do that you really don't want to do? Did you do it?

"Shadow" is just what he calls himself. Or she, I guess, I wouldn't know. Or they, even. I usually just call it 'it'. Anyway, it's called me on the library phone a couple of times, but it was with a synthesized voice, a DECtalk or something. It's even called me at home, although I never gave it my number. And at friend's homes...

It's weird, what Shadow wants. Sometimes he just wants to know my memories--about my family, the other kids at school, the teachers. I type them down...but I can never remember exactly what I've typed, afterwards. Other times, he wants things that belong to them. He tells me places to leave them, and the next time I check, they're gone. There's a girl I like, Samantha Walsh, and Shadow wanted me to take some clothes from her gym locker. That made me feel like a real creep...but I did it. Then Shadow fixed it so I didn't need glasses for a while, and when I came to school without them, Sam was checking me out, so it worked out pretty good. I think.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
"I guess I never really talked about it, but I did a little research and after our suicide, my family got ran out of town for being the racists that they were, so I've never seen them since I came back, nor did I really want to, good riddance, I am glad he got his just desserts...no, I'm not angry. Brie's father...drank himself to death and her mother and siblings moved out of town, probably to their grandparent's." He writes in his journal, pasting the article about the incidents inside. "Friend wise, I have a few friends...though really I don't let others get near me, I don't feel comfortable around people. suffice to say, no one knows that I am a ghost."

He closes his book and closes his eyes. Raven Darkheart, one of the friends he wrote about, comes over with a couple of espressos. "What were you writing?"

"Oh not much, just random bullshit"

"Can I read it?"

"Eh, I would rather read some of your poetry, you always wrote better than me"

"Oh, okay!" she smiles and pulls it out and they read it together as he sips his espresso, she moved in close to read with him, but he doesn't pay it any heed. He knew she was into him, but he wasn't really interested, she was doing this all for attention, she wasn't being real, you could clearly see it in her poetry, which was flowery and much happier than she pretended to be. She was nothing like Brie, Brie was real, Brie didn't try to be a part of a group, she just was herself.

He finishes his espresso and stands up "Thanks for the drink Raven" he says and walks away before she could protest. He picks up his dufflebag and guitar, and walks out the door and to the school. He looks around and heads inside the door of the gym by phasing through before heading up to the rafter where the principal found him.

quote:

Everyone: Beach Week festivities started Friday night, with a party at Gary Powers' house. Who do you see there? Make a move against them. What happens? Also, what do you do for the rest of the weekend? Detention starts on Monday... better get your kicks in before it starts.

I was invited to Gary Powers' House for a party, not a huge deal, he usually invites everyone, but I figured it would be fun enough. When I get there who do I see but that stuck up rear end in a top hat, Billy Talons, a rich boy who believes he is some hard rock god because he can strum a guitar, mediocre at best. He was talking poo poo about me, I could easily tell since he was referring to that Creepy boy guitarist.

quote:

Scarybagels Rolling to shut down an rear end in a top hat
Scarybagels !r 2d6+1
Krysmbot Scarybagels, 7+1 = 8

I walk up behind him and put my leather boot up on the bench he was sitting on all silent like, my guitar in hand, and then suddenly, he starts hearing Yes - Roundabout start. Sure it was old, but it was a classic, or at least I thought it was. The girls heard actual skill and saw that I wasn't -that- creepy and it could tell that I was actually more tortured than they originally pictured, I whisper into Billy's ear as I play "rear end in a top hat if you ever talk about me like that again, you are gonna find yourself learning to play the guitar with your rear end." I stop playing and walk away, Billy was both angry and terrified at the same time, just what I wanted, and for once in his life girls weren't fawning over him. The rest of the party is the normal affair, drugs, alcohol, sex, and then the weekend came and since I knew Monday was the start of detention, I might as well go out and have a bit more fun. I headed to the arcade, played that one game -- Polybius, and then I dunno man, I just rode in the back of a car with a bunch of metal heads, smoking pot, shooting the poo poo and generally being an rear end in a top hat.

Good times were had.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 27, 2016

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Kestrel Makala

As long as I can remember I've been fixated on the arts. I love to dance, to act, to sing, to paint...Ultimately I want to be a performance artist. I've been annoyed for a while that I was too young to be part of the New Romantics movement, not to mention being in the wrong country. I've put on a few one-woman shows in the area, but I don't think they went over very well. Everybody came expecting Tiffany, and I was giving them Laurie Anderson. I love the theatre, also, and I audition for every play and musical at school, and I usually wind up being cast. They never seem to take my suggestions on pieces to perform, though. There's no appreciation for Brecht in this crummy town...

My dad says that mom disappeared a long time ago. I never knew her, and he never talks about her. It seems to make him sad, but also kind of worried. Dad is native Hawaiian, but I don't know anything about my mother's background. We don't really have any family outside of each other, so we're very close.

I've always been different from the other kids, though I don't really understand why. I've always assumed I just had nothing in common with my peers, but that doesn't stop me from trying to make friends with everyone. Art relies on me being vulnerable and exposed. Dad says I'm a total extrovert, my peers call me a showoff, and a lot of my teachers say I want attention, but I just find people interesting. How can I understand myself, and how I fit in, if I don't understand other people? It's like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle when I can only see one piece. Recently, though, it's become more than that. I want people to listen to me, and to understand me; I want them to feel how I feel. There's so much inside of me that it threatens to overwhelm me sometimes and I have to find some way to let it out.

quote:

Kestrel Makala
The Fae
Look: Disheveled, Lyrical Eyes
Origin: Fae Blooded

Stats:
Hot +2
Dark +1
Cold -1
Volatile -1

Moves:
Faery Contract: If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you, take a String on them. When spending a String to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options:
- they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;
- add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance;
- they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not.

The Constant Bargain:
When someone asks you to do something important for them, and you do it, roll with hot.
- On a 10 up, they lose a String on you, and you gain one on them.
- On a 7-9, choose one or the other.
- On a miss, you’ve shown that they can walk all over you, and they take a String on you.

Backstory:
You wear your heart on your sleeve. Give everyone one String.

You’ve captured someone’s fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Sex Move:
When you lie naked with another, you can ask them for a promise. If they refuse, take 2 Strings on them.

Darkest Self:
Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a promise. If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought in blood. To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some way re-balance the scales of justice.

quote:

I skipped school to go to the park and get a nap. I figured I'd just slip in later in the day and nobody would be the wiser. When I got back, though, one of the teachers caught me and gave me detention.

quote:

A song/music video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNahvGXVWl0

quote:

Our art teacher, Mrs. Levinsky, has an interesting library at her home. I was at her home once to return an anatomy book I had borrowed, and there were very, very old codices bound in some sort of leather. I didn't want to ask what it was, but I snuck a peek at one of the books and it was full of some weird old language that I couldn't read. It was all handwritten, and some pages were written upside-down, others seemed to make pictures, all kinds of bizzare stuff.

quote:

There's an old diner that's been around for decades down on Kirby St. It's a little rundown, and not in the best part of town, but they make the best eggs I've ever had! They're kind of a weird color, with these red streaks. I think they use paprika or something to make them that way. I go there pretty regularly, but it's always kind of empty. I always wondered how they stayed open all these years with so few customers.

quote:

My father loves to tell me old Hawaiian legends, and the history of our family. At home, I paint pictures from the stories such as Kāne, god of the wild places, Hina, goddess of the moon, and our family's nā ʻaumākua. Sometimes I wonder if my father believes in these old stories, but for me they are simply inspiration for my artwork.

Lager fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 27, 2016

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Don't forget this part of the prompts y'all (because I did until Waffle reminded me).

quote:

Also, if you're making a new app, aka Lager, include this one as well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Frgrbrgr posted:

Oh my God, there's Damien Bowles. He's totally got connections with a record company in San Fran. It might do a little good to grease those wheels a bit, so I make sure I'm looking my best and ask him to put a good word in.

Turn on: 9

Yes! He was putty in my hands! He totally said he'd send my demo over. Score!

The rest of the weekend is spent rehearsing with the band. Detention kinda put a damper on some of our preparations, so we're getting a bit extra in before we perform at Beach Week.

quote:

Krystal "Diamond" Alessi: Do you have any shows during Beach Week? What big gig were you turned down from? How did you react? How did the rest of your band react?

We're playing a couple shows at Club Junker for the tourists, which should get our names out there. We wanted to play at the big festival at the boardwalk, but they chose another band over us. Had a bit of a good cry over it with Sylvia. Rhonda, rock of our team as she is, had the duty of comforting us. I guess there's always next year. And Marcia just pounded on her set for a while, like she usually does when she's feeling any strong emotion.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

quote:

I see Geena Tritten, a popular girl at school. She's never paid much attention to me, but I feel like there's more to her than she lets on. She's not vapid like so many others at school, and I want to know her truths. As the night wears on I go talk to her, running my hand along her shoulder playfully and smiling. I can tell that she wasn't expecting this, but she seems to enjoy the attention. We spend the rest of the night talking and I find out that she's actually quite the bookworm. we have a delightful conversation about The Name of the Rose that seems to last for hours.

Turn someone on: 2d6+2 12, I get a string on her.

For the rest of the weekend, I mostly spend it sleeping and painting.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I am unfortunately gonna have to bow out of this game. Good luck to everyone applying

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Denis Kelnhofer
The Neighbor

My last school was a disaster.

It really was. I didn’t enjoy it. No one liked me, I didn’t like anyone, and, if I can say something like this without seeming like too huge of a jerk, I’m almost kind of glad that my parents split up because now, living with my dad, I get to start over. None of my jerk old classmates, none of my jerk old teachers, no baggage or dirty laundry or anything like that.

A completely fresh start.

What baggage? Oh, well. Fine. If you won’t tell anyone else.

My mom works for one of the big computer technology companies. No, not that one, but one of the big ones. She was never around, because there were always conferences, support meetings, foreign sales kibbutzim... As a result, she tended to fill her absence with stuff. So I have a couple great keyboards, a nice mixing board, some really good microphones for sampling.

As you can imagine, this didn’t do much for my popularity. I was already in that weird state between computer guy and band geek: I was slightly too out there for the computer guys -- not enough into gaming or programming or Japanimation --, but the concert band didn’t have much use for a keyboardist either, which I really preferred to the French horn.

Anyways -- and you probably won’t believe me when I say this, but it’s true, and it’s the other pertinent detail of this story -- my last school was haunted. Literally haunted, by ghosts or vampires or... Students would disappear, or die, or suddenly get transferred across the country, and no one would want to talk about it. It was terrifying. And I don’t know the exact details, but there was this group of really cool kids who were trying to kill them. Way too cool to ever want to be friends with a guy like me.

The only time I spent any time with them was towards the end of the school year. I was hanging out at school late because I didn’t want to go home. I knew my parents would be fighting, because that’s what they always did when my mother got home from one of her trips, and after Jeremy, the guy who sat next to me in Calc disappeared and I seemed to be the only one who noticed, I couldn’t handle coming home to them passive-aggressively sniping at one another over take out. So there I am, playing piano in the empty commons, and then all of a sudden this strange lady drops down from the ceiling. She’s dressed in all this black leather gear like a biker or a model, and, now that I’ve got a better look, I realize it’s Emily Dofferson from my English class.

So I say “Hey Doff, what’s going on?” and she grabs me by the collar and slams me up against the wall, which is no mean feat considering she’s only five foot five counting the heels on her boots, and I probably weigh at least twice what she does. And she stuck this wicked looking knife, curved and twisted, with some sort of red gem in the pommel, up to my throat.

“At last I have you, Mastermind,” she spits in my face. Literally. Girl has no saliva control. It’s gross. “Your reign of terror over this school is over. Are you going to beg now? Plead? Tell me all about you sad, pathetic home life? About how your parents don’t love you? About how you needed to lash out at the world because you don’t have any friends and no one likes you? I’ve got news, creep. It’s because you’re weird. No one cares about your problems. Once I take you out, all your vampire minions will turn to dust, and this will all be over. Any last words, creep?”

And... that hurt. Not going to lie. I mean, I knew I wasn’t exactly popular, and I didn’t really spend much time with anyone outside of school, but, you know, I didn’t think I was...

“...vampires...?” is all I managed to squeak out, trying not to cry.

“I think we’ve got the wrong guy, Em,” says Gareth Jones, who I hadn’t noticed come in. He was armed to the teeth: all sorts of medieval weaponry strapped across his chest, and a crossbow in his hands.

“poo poo, really?” she says. “Look, Denis, I... It’s...”

“We’ve gotta run, Em,” says Jones, looking at this weird amulet. “The Mastermind, he’s still here. Right below us.”

And off they went. I sat there on the ground until the sun went down. They never came back, and the janitor kicked me out. My folks were a bit upset that I was home so late, and I lied that I was playing piano and lost track of time. I don’t lie often, but I figured they’d never believe the truth.

But I know it happened. I can’t prove it definitively, but how else would Gareth’s weird amulet have ended up stuffed in my locket? And why would I make up something like that?

I didn’t go to school for the next few days, and then my parents finalized their divorce, and it was decided that it was better that I stay with my dad, what with my mom always being gone. The next few weeks were kind of a blur. I think Vice-Principal Varney disappeared under mysterious circumstances. Emily and Gareth were nowhere to be found. I packed up all my gear really carefully, and next thing you know, I’m out of cold and windy Chicago and in sunny Santa Clara.

It’s different. I don’t know how to dress for the weather at all. It’s so sunny.

And I’ve already landed myself in detention for, and this is the dumbest thing, but getting into an argument with Mrs. Tenlap over whether they speak Spanish or Portuguese in Brazil. It’s Portuguese, right? That’s, like, the only fact that I know about the country! My mom’s been there! But apparently “backtalk” is enough to land you there. At least she’s not allowed to hit students anymore. I heard she once killed someone back in the 60s, and the school hushed it up.

It’s not all bad, though. I found a really nice record shop by our apartment, the Disc-o-Tech, which has the most amazing selection I’ve ever seen. Not just the usual stuff like Kraftwerk and New Order, but deep cuts like the Yellow Magic Orchestra that I’d previously only read about...

I’ve still got that weird amulet. I wear it a lot, under my shirt. The metal is cool, comfortable. I don’t know if it does anything other than provide air conditioning, but even that’s good enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFu66ye6YWM

quote:

Denis Kelnhofer
The Neighbor

Tired eyes, transfer student

Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark -1

Moves:

Mixed Messages

When you're alone with someone, decide if you're attracted to them or not.
If you are, tell them why you can't be together and roll to shut them down, adding 1 to the roll.
If you're not, tell them all the things they've got going for them (to let them down easy) and roll to turn them on, adding 1 to the roll.

Precarious (If you pick this, read it aloud.)

When someone gives you a gift or another chance, give them a String.

Nap Fan

As soon as you fall asleep somewhere, choose two below for the MC to detail. The MC will tell you when you wake up, and then tell you the details.
something has been left for you,
someone unexpected is nearby,
someone's been trying to contact you,
something happened at home,
something has been canceled,
something has been broken,
you had a nice dream.

Mesmerizing (from The Serpentine)

When you stare at someone without blinking, roll with Hot. On a 10 up, they freeze up until you blink or someone touches them, and they gain the Condition dazed. On a 7-9, they gain the Condition dazed.

Sex Move

When you scream out someone's name during sex, gain a String on them.

Darkest Self

You feel... you feel like a monster. What kind of monster do you feel like? A werewolf, a vampire, a ghost, a queen... it can be anything you can think of. Tell the MC, and they'll hand you that Skin or the closest thing to it. It can be different each time. Read their Darkest Self: you are drowning in metaphor. Choking on it. Your body isn't supernatural, but you're gonna take it right to the line. You become that Darkest Self.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Just putting this here, mostly to get myself to do it. I'll put up another round of questions sometime this weekend, hopefully tomorrow. Apps close Tuesday, and I'll put up a final round of questions then. Let me know if you need any help!

Eibon Black
May 28, 2016
@ Frgrbrgr, I'm New to SA. Wanted to get approval or thoughts on the Tormented skin before I start the build for a 'Half' Vampire using the Tormented as a base and adding the optional move from the Vampire skin. After all, "There's too many GD Vampires in Santa Carla."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Eibon Black posted:

@ Frgrbrgr, I'm New to SA. Wanted to get approval or thoughts on the Tormented skin before I start the build for a 'Half' Vampire using the Tormented as a base and adding the optional move from the Vampire skin. After all, "There's too many GD Vampires in Santa Carla."

I'll need you to link the playbook, doesn't seem to be on the list.

Eibon Black
May 28, 2016
@Frgrbrgr, Here are the specs. I can't find the site and link it atm.

Edit: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15bT2Kx_1lu4Gn4HtFTjtcWRy1eVgCvEMutFTiLJtgOo/edit?pref=2&pli=1

Eibon Black fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 30, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Frgrbrgr posted:

Natasha Rosenkova: Who is one of the Usurper's agents in town? Do they know about you and your family? What are your plans to deal with them? What distracts you from your family's agenda?

Well it's obvious who was one of the Usurpers minions [b]Anthony Baldwin[/b It seemed innocuous at first I caught him staring at me. And well lets be honest I have plenty that is very definitely worth staring at he was not the first boy to stare and drool at my perfection. So had it stopped there I would not have batted an eyelid. But then I began to notice things going missing. My hairbrush, my PE shorts, my make-up compactor. I didn't put the two together at first until I saw him going through my locker. After that it was childs play to follow him, after all the blood of royalty flows through my veins and anything a mere mortal like him can do, I can do ten times better. I watched him meet with a mysterious Fae I didn't recognise and hand over my stolen things. Not long after that I started to get this odd feeling that I was being watched even when I was absolutely alone and in private. It was only when I talked to Aunt Alexandria the families expert on magic that I realised the source. Magical divination, he'd obviously suspected who I was and stolen my possessions as some sort of sympathetic link.

So of course I did what anyone sensible would do if they knew they were under observation. I played along. And I'm going to keep playing along until I can get close enough to Anthony to show him what happens when you play these sort of games with a princess of the fae. If he's lucky he may live long enough to learn his lesson. Not that I intend to get violent myself of course, Violence is crude messy and often counter-productive. No I have other means of extracting co-operation. A simple polariod camera and a bank statement should do quite nicely.... But this fun as it was is a distraction from what I really want what I've always wanted.

What I want most of all is something my money cannot buy. Recognition. I want to be known for my art, for my ability to produce photographs that capture the very soul of life. There's a photo contest coming up you know on the concept of "Passion" I intend to show the world what I can do. That I'm more than just a pretty and rich girl.

Which is why I'm here. I mean Gary's party is far too gauche and lower class for me,. In a way I'm doing a major favour just by showing up and lending my implicit approval to his efforts. But the truth is I'm not here for him. I'm hunting. See after I told my father about being spied upon he told me that it was my problem to deal with as I see fit. He always likes to test us with these things, says it keeps us on our toes. Thanks Dad. That's a big help. So I'm here for Anthony. And I have some rather interesting photos I'm sure he'll be dying to see.

It didn't take long to isolate him from the crowd. I don't think he was too happy at being stuck alone with me in a private chat. I waved the polaroid in front of him. "Unless you want this picture mailing directly to the police, who are sure to be delighted to know where you got so much cocaine, and those odd deposits in your bank account, tsk tsk. If you're going to commit financial fraud you need to do it better than that. Now to any reasonable officer of the law those would look at those little facts and conclude you've been dealing and well it'd be such a shame for a pretty boy like you to spend time in a federal prison, nasty places I hear..." I trailed off suggestively.

[23:52] Ferrosol threatening a guy
[23:52] Ferrosol !r 2d6+1
[23:52] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 6+1 = 7
giving him the condition dealer he can give me whatever

"of course if you want to avoid it, you only need to do me a teeny-tiny little favour, before you send off your tedious reports, you're going to let me edit them. or well I'd recommend you keep very tight hold of your soap If you know what I mean."

Needless to say given how whitefaced, he became I'd managed to get through to him, and well with that out of the way I was able to leave the party and head back for home. A small victory perhaps, but small victories add up. I spent the rest of the weekend going through my collection of pictures trying to find exactly the right picture I needed to win. I had hoped the one with Allison... but no it still wasn't right. Dammit, I will find the one I need. I just better do it soon.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Eibon Black posted:

@Frgrbrgr, Here are the specs. I can't find the site and link it atm.

Edit: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15bT2Kx_1lu4Gn4HtFTjtcWRy1eVgCvEMutFTiLJtgOo/edit?pref=2&pli=1

hmmm. My biggest concern is that's a little flat. The family concept is good but requires a lot of work for both of us. And without leaning heavily on family, it's unremarkable. Maybe take a look at Vampire or even my evil twin? Thinking about creating rules for an npc twin for that one.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Second round for people that answered the first.

Donald Dusenbach: How have your friends and family reacted to your change? Who is one person that doesn't like the new you? Do they make you want to undo the changes?
also see Gary Powers party prompt.

Calvin "Ghost" McCallough: Seems like you still do a lot of the same things that you used to. Don't you want to do something different with your second chance? Or is it all just meaningless, who cares what happens to you anyway?

Krystal "Diamond" Alessi: Sounds like this band thing is starting to get serious. How far are you willing to take it? Is this what you want to do for the rest of your life? What about your band mates? Which one of them recently threatened to quit and why? How did you respond?

Natasha Rosenkova: Later that weekend, a stranger approaches you. A new student perhaps, he's tall and handsome. He immediately perks your interest as a possible candidate for “Passion.” But then he talks, and his voice sounds familiar… “Hello, Natasha. Don't recognize me? I don't blame you. Your little games won't work on me. She's protecting me. Meet the new Anthony.”

Gain the condition Duped. Anthony loses the condition Dealer. You have no idea who "she" is.

How do you respond? And… how do you balance this new twist with your desire to take his photograph for your competition?

First round for new apps.

Kestrel Makala: What's the one piece of artwork that you've made that makes you the happiest? What's the one piece of artwork made by another that makes you most angry? How much do you know about what you are, and who knows more than you about what you are?

Everyone but Kestrel: Beach Week festivities started Friday night, with a party at Gary Powers' house. Who do you see there? Make a move against them. What happens? Also, what do you do for the rest of the weekend? Detention starts on Monday... better get your kicks in before it starts.

Denis Kelnhofer: Santa Carla is a pretty exciting place to live, beaches, hiking, etc. What's one time you really wanted to do something, but refused to? What's one time you really didn't want to do something, but you did it anyway? Which classmate do you want to know more about, but never talk to? Which classmates do you talk to constantly, but wish you had never befriended?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Calvin "Ghost" McCallough: Seems like you still do a lot of the same things that you used to. Don't you want to do something different with your second chance? Or is it all just meaningless, who cares what happens to you anyway?

The rafter was cold that day, though, to be quite honest, was usually cold. He laid up there thinking, maybe he should stop moping around this school, and move on...but then he spoke out "Life...or rather this facsimile of life is pretty meaningless...I mean...I am dead...what is the literal point of trying to have a better life when you are nothing but a spiritual life...it already is trouble enough every four years reinventing myself, though I have to say I have gotten pretty good grades now, with straight As...yeah maybe this'll be my last year here, maybe I will go to college, shouldn't be that hard to dupe that right? Maybe I can find some reason to continue...on without her..."

He sighed "What is the use..." he says as he stands up "This has to be some sort of cosmic punishment for suicide, though..." he says looking up "If this is a punishment, maybe Brie has gotten a second chance."

He hops off the rafter and walks to the door...pushing it open, he remembered hearing about a party going on, and he was going to enjoy the night, try to stop moping around and move on, find a way to be more than just some down and out ghost. Maybe he could be the first ghost president. He laughed at the thought, voicing as he walked down the street "My fellow Americans, I am here today to tell you, that Aliens and Ghosts and Vampires and all those things that go bump in the night are real and they definitely want to murder you all, so you best learn to be good little sheep and follow our orders" a faux official voice bellows out as he marches towards the party, the metal clinging on his boots as he walks.

He wasn't fond of the people but maybe he could find someone who can understand where he is coming from, perhaps even let them know his secret.

Eibon Black
May 28, 2016

Frgrbrgr posted:

hmmm. My biggest concern is that's a little flat. The family concept is good but requires a lot of work for both of us. And without leaning heavily on family, it's unremarkable. Maybe take a look at Vampire or even my evil twin? Thinking about creating rules for an npc twin for that one.

Unless I can find a way to make The Vampire more appealing it's back to square one.

Eibon Black fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 30, 2016

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Frgrbrgr posted:

Stella Masters: Does anybody notice that you never graduate and just keep attending?

No, nobody important notices at all. Who do you think you are, asking me that?
See, I was worried the first time I failed my final exams, but when they handed it back to everyone, mine had gone missing. Once class was over, I wanted to talk to the teacher about it, but then I saw my test form in the trash. And there on her desk was the roll sheet, with my name blacked out in marker.

Like, duh, I already died. And dead girls tell no tales!
So the teachers have all forgotten about me, in the cool "I can do whatever I want" way, not the Topher Scagz "You're a hopeless piece of poo poo" kinda way. I can still sit in class and participate and stuff, but when it comes time to write my name, it's a "mistake" and crossed off. It's not until I've looked deeply into their eyes that they understand, and who makes eye contact with their teacher? Gag me with a spoon.

As for the students, well, they come and go. The only people who have the gall to talk to me have need of my service, and a few people within a thousand? That's not enough to blow my cover, and if they do, they vanish and I plead the fifth.

Frgrbrgr posted:

Who have you conquered in the nine years since your "deal?" Which one of them rejected you afterwards, and what did you do in response?

Oh, plenty of people. I mean, I'm not going to brag about all the important people around here who've had the honor. Of the people who I still bother with, there's...
- Tony, who cooks at the pizzeria. We still talk sometimes, though never about me. He thinks I'm "just the same as when we met," the diluted chump. He's 23.
- Marcus, who took a "summer job" on the boardwalk and became the arcade maintenance guy, making sure Pac-Man can still eat. He never could look me in the eyes. 22.
- Joshua, the former star quarterback who went to a university, only to come back after his scholarship disappeared in a puff of smoke. He cried in my arms when he saw me. 19.

But there's one in particular who still regrettably catches my eye. His daddy has property on the outskirts of town, where he keeps classic cars in a refurbished barn. The boy's spent most of his post-high school life being an "artist," trying to make lightning strike. He has a recording studio, a loft full of paintings, and a hole where his creativity should be.

He thought he could make me his muse, and for a while it was flattering to have modern art dropped by my house.
And then he wrote his song, Stella Belle. It was beautiful and lovely and all that, until I learned that it wasn't for me. At least, not exclusively.
He wrote different sets of lyrics for each of the girls he'd been seeing on the side. Julie Jewel, Anna Grand, Lucy Boo, and the cherry on top, Madeline.

Adam French, this one's for you.

Frgrbrgr posted:

Adam still likes to hang with the younger folk, and usually gets invited to parties in which someone knew him, or someone knew someone who would introduce them. And we all know Gary knows everybody. So anyway, he's here, with a cup in his hand and recent graduate (by the skin of her teeth!) Madeline MacKenzie Burke wandering in and out of his orbit.

"Some party," I tell him as the whore disappears around a corner.
"Hey, Stella," he says.
"Oh, you remembered. I thought you could call me Anna today. Or Maddie?"
"Look, I'm sorry, okay? If it's alright, I'd like to move on and see other people, like my girlfriend--Where did she--?"

I look into his eyes and feel for the welts in his neck. Seems like he's healing nicely. "If you really wanted her, you wouldn't have let her go." My plastic nail extensions find the soft spots and squeeze, just a little bit.

Scorned King's Wrath allows her to Lash Out with Dark after being scorned by someone who is Entombed.
<RWT> Lash Out Physically, with Dark.
<RWT> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> RWT, 6+1 = 7

Adam takes a String on Stella.

It shouldn't be enough to draw blood, but hopefully he knows better than to let something good slip between his fingers.

I'll spend the weekend working on a cute detention outfit. I hope they don't think broad black-white stripes are too on the nose, or the "Santa Carla Penitentiary" in bright blue sequined cotton.
Actually, I hope they do. It'd really be too bad for the poor souls who gave me this ensemble to be forgotten.
(And yes, I'll bring a change of clothes; God!)

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 29, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Frgrbrgr posted:

Krystal "Diamond" Alessi: Sounds like this band thing is starting to get serious. How far are you willing to take it? Is this what you want to do for the rest of your life? What about your band mates? Which one of them recently threatened to quit and why? How did you respond?

I'm willing to take this as far as it needs to for us to get famous. Me and the girls are surer than sure that this is what we want to do with our lives, nothing else! Okay, so Sylv was worried about her grades and thought we should split, but come on! She's still a B student! I just had a sitdown with her and told her she was being paranoid, and she saw my way. I can be pretty persuasive when I want to be.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Frgrbrgr posted:

Second round for people that answered the first.

Natasha Rosenkova: Later that weekend, a stranger approaches you. A new student perhaps, he's tall and handsome. He immediately perks your interest as a possible candidate for “Passion.” But then he talks, and his voice sounds familiar… “Hello, Natasha. Don't recognize me? I don't blame you. Your little games won't work on me. She's protecting me. Meet the new Anthony.”

Gain the condition Duped. Anthony loses the condition Dealer. You have no idea who "she" is.

How do you respond? And… how do you balance this new twist with your desire to take his photograph for your competition?

Well well well. This looks promising, hot hunk giving me the eye, Hey there's no harm in looking right, I'm not engaged or married yet. Might as well enjoy my freedom while I still can. I wish I had my camera with me, I could take the most amazing photograph right now.... Holy poo poo he's coming up to me maybe this is my lucky day. I can ask him to wait while I run and get it. I could promise him a reward surely there is something this Adonis needs. Heck I'd even do him the honour of a date for a body like that....

Then he opened his mouth, rows of perfect teeth, albeit with a smile that looked more like a sharks grin than a friendly one and a familiar voice came out. Anthony... well isn't that a surprise. I wonder if he always looked like this and I didn't realise, he could have been under a glamour this whole time, or this might be a glamour now. Either way he mentioned She, capital S whoever She was. Best not to let on I don't know what the hell he was talking about. I turned coolly pretending I was utterly uninterested in his rippling abs and surprisingly well-developed six-pack. "Oh you have been working out, shame all that muscle seems to have gone to your head. I still have your pictures and bank records remember, and you can tell your boss from me that if "She" wants to speak to me she should come herself and not send a worthless lackey to do her business for her." I turned my head away contemptuously. I would like his photo, but i'm not about to throw a perfectly good set of blackmail material away to get it for me. There will be other opportunities for pictures between now and then after all and not all of them pictures of those who work for the enemy.

Eibon Black
May 28, 2016
Content removed by author to deter 'mining' expeditions.

Eibon Black fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 31, 2016

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Frgrbrgr posted:

Kestrel Makala: What's the one piece of artwork that you've made that makes you the happiest? What's the one piece of artwork made by another that makes you most angry? How much do you know about what you are, and who knows more than you about what you are?

My favorite painting that I have ever made tells the story of Hina, the goddess of the moon. Hina dwelled among the mortals and was an object of desire for all, but she grew frustrated of being a face in the crowd - no matter how attractive. She escaped to the moon and became a goddess. Something about that story has always struck a chord with me - the idea of a woman who is so tired of being pursued by other mortals that she escapes and decides, "gently caress this! I'm a goddess, now!" She manages to get away from humanity and finds out she's in control of her own destiny. My painting depicts Hina flying up to the moon while mortals line the beach reaching to her, begging her to stay as she ignores them entirely and goes off to the destiny she chose for herself.

As far as artwork that infuriates me, I'd have to answer with Harold Pinter's Betrayal. Dad took me to see the play and, I'm not sure why, I had a visceral reaction to the performance. I wound up almost ripping the arms off the chair I was in. The play almost had to end early because one of the lights came loose and crashed to the stage, nearly killing one of the actors. They cleaned up and continued very quickly, though some of the illusion was broken for me and I calmed down after they resumed. It was a very well-written piece and well-acted at the performance I saw, but I don't think I'd like to see it again. I still refuse to watch the Jeremy Irons film version.

I don't know what you mean by "what I am." I've told you about all I know about myself - I'm the half-Hawaiian girl who paints sharks in her spare time and pisses off her audiences at every performance. Though I do feel like there's something my father hasn't told me about my mom. Now that you mention it, though...Mr. Schump, a local policeman, has harassed me a few times. I figured he was just a creep, but he made some comment about how he'd find out if I had anything to do with disappearances and other odd happenings. Not sure why he'd think I was capable of anything like that.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Ravenna Bachman - The Maenad

You wanna know about me? Well lets just look at how I ended up in detention, that should help you get the 411.

Officially I'm here for 'Loose Morals, Violent Tendencies and Truancy'. In non-detention speak it's because instead of being in our humanities class, I was out behind the bleachers on first base stealing to second with Dany, while William and his little princess Betty were booking it as fast as they could home with a bloody lip and his legs crossed. So yeah, I shouldn't have hung around, but...

First Betty comes up, upset about the stories I'd been spreading about Willy being a two timing scumbag -all legit, and I'd know, since it was me in the back of his car last friday. When I wouldn't take it back and told her some details I couldn't know if it wasn't true, she slapped me and I gave her a fresh one. Which for some reason got Will tripping, so I beat the piss out of him. He gave me this black eye, but I doubt he'll be able to get it up again even if Betty still wants him.

Anyway, I should have jetted, but we'd got a bit of a crowd at this point, and there's nothing like a good fight to get my blood boiling and my engine running if you know what I mean. Dany was the biggest stud in the crowd so I had him pinned up against the wall and my hand down his pants by the time the teacher showed up. So there's your picture. I'm a physical girl, and I'm not shy about it. Fighting, loving and Fun, and I'll tell you what I think about you to your face.

But that's not the whole picture, I'm not an ordinary girl who looks to mess around, I've got a secret. My mother did too -does too, I suppose (but I'm not going to think about that)- we're mostly human, but somewhere down the line one of us was a spirit or a demon or something, a magical creature of violence, madness and pleasure. Maybe that's why I'm so good at what I do, why I can't stand for things to be boring, why I can see inside of people to see what makes them tick and how to wrap them around and get them caught up in my flow.

The Maenad posted:

Name: Ravenna Bachman
Look: intense, mocking eyes
Origin: child of chaos

Stats
Hot +1
Cold -1
Volatile +0
Dark +1

Moves
Bad Influence
When you tempt someone to act against their best interests or stated desires in the name of having fun: if they decline, you gain a String on them or they gain the killjoy condition, their choice. If they accept, they gain a String on you and lose the killjoy condition if they have it.

When you have fewer Strings on someone than they have on you, they may add 1 to rolls against you as though you have the condition reckless.

Magnetic
When you take this move, pick one: fighting.

When you do that thing, your passion is entrancing, cathartic, and all-consuming. Name someone in eyesight or earshot and roll with Dark. On a 10 up, that person just has to come talk to you, and you carry 1 forward toward dealing with them. On a 7-9, that person may choose to erase one of their Conditions or gain a string on you. If they do, carry 1 forward.

Raving
When you brag publicly about your decadent or degenerate exploits, add 2 to your roll to turn someone on.

Unknowable
When you lash out physically against someone, on a 10 up, they lose 1 String on you. On a 7-9, add to your list of options: they lose 1 String on you.

Sex Move
When you have sex with one person, you erase a Condition and they gain a String on you. When you have sex with multiple people, convert one String each participant has on you into a String on another participant.

Darkest Self
You're spiraling out of control and don't how to put on the brakes; your promises and obligations fall to the wayside. When you want to say something, you say it. When you want to do something, you do it—consequences be damned. Give in to your every temptation (loving, fighting, or otherwise) without reserve. You escape your darkest self when your satisfaction comes at significant cost to yourself or someone you care about.

A song/music video.
Like A Virgin
Girls Just Want To Have Fun

Well I know plenty of things about a lot of the students (and some of the staff). But that's not weird.

Mrs. Schafer the Vice Principal keeps a bottle of gin in the bottom drawer of her desk, and she has to replace it every week, Mr. Phillips watches the boys change for Physical Education, and Principal "Dr." Rosenbach might be dead for all the pleasure he gets out of life, I haven't found a single vice of his yet. But I will. And won't it be sweet when it'll be him sweating in his seat and me off at the beach instead of being stuck here.

The Pit.

Its an 'underground boxing' ring, but it isn't boxing. Just fighting. No rules except what you agree on, and no killing. Besides that, anything's welcome. It moves around a lot, got to keep ahead of the police. Its usually around under a bridge or a highway, in the old abandoned drive-in theater. I fight sometimes, a lot of the guys aren't big on hitting girls, but sex sells and a lot of guys in the crowd seem to think two girls fighting is almost as good as loving.

I like sports, don't do any seriously but a lot of kids from school do baseball down at the beach and I'm loving mad good at batting. Suck something awful at fielding, but you can't win em all.

Optional: a title for the IC thread

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Calvin "Ghost" McCallough: Do you believe in an afterlife? Reincarnation? What would you do if somebody offered you the chance to move on from this existence? And… how aware of other monsters are you? How did you find out?

Stella Masters: Wow, sounds like you have poor Adam by the juevos. Do you feel any resentment towards Madeleine? Any future plans for her? And what about yourself - what are your plans this summer? What's your biggest goal?

Krystal "Diamond" Alessi: Are you sure these people are the ones you can take to the top? Have you ever thought about becoming a solo act?

Natasha Rosenkova: What are you going to do about “Her?” And is all this worth it? Have you ever thought of just abandoning the cause? What keeps you from leaving?

Kestrel Makala: So, who are you - the beauty among the crowd or the lonely goddess? And what do you think your mom's secret is? What recently happened in your presence that couldn't be explained?

Ravenna Bachman: Beach Week festivities started Friday night, with a party at Gary Powers' house. Who do you see there? Make a move against them. What happens? Also, what do you do for the rest of the weekend? Detention starts on Monday... better get your kicks in before it starts.

Who did you pick a fight with recently that you shouldn't have? Who should you have picked a fight with but you didn't? Do you like living this way? What's one thing your lifestyle will never allow but you desperately want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eibon Black
May 28, 2016
@Frgrbrgr, My app is complete enough for your review. I hope I didn't forget anything.

• Locked thread