Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuscus
Mar 18, 2013
Hello Everyone, I was hoping that you could help me along in a thought process which has been occupying my mind for years. Because of it, I have been vacillating between two different paths that I cannot see much further down than their initial steps. I would seriously value your input.

The paths I’m referring to are Licensed Electrical Engineer and the Software Developer. I’m currently employed as a junior electrical engineer but I could very, very easily make the jump over to software developer. I cannot choose one over the other because it's hard to see how either one will make me wealthy. Through multiple failed ventures that I worked on in my spare time with software I learned that it’s more about connections and marketing than about how good the software is and I’m unable to compete on this front right now. My work – both salaried and venture – limit my interaction with people to a point I think is detrimental now. Working in my dark bedroom and being stuck in the office are keeping me from moving and interacting with people in an effective way, unless I choose to get no work done.

In order to make enough time to meet all those wonderful people that make life more fun I need to quit one. When I get work as a software developer in the places I’d apply then I could make those connections with my coworkers much like the founders of Intel and ATI did back in the day. Please just assume that it’s possible to get in to them. It seems to me, and please correct me if I’m wrong, that the only way to become wealthy is to know lots of people and leverage your connections and information in a way that’s really similar to having lots of functions and tools in your box. There’s also that great feeling of actually having fun with other living people. Beyond that the market environment also helps to a great degree. Would consulting engineering in power distribution be lucrative assuming there would be a few guaranteed small contracts to start with? Or would it be better to go into software development, find like-minded individuals with compatible and useful skillsets and see what grows from there? Again, the purpose of all of this is to become wealthy as a business owner, just assume happiness is tied directly to the amount in the bank account for the sake of simplicity.

Which is more likely to succeed? Is there something that I missed which makes this entire problem unsolvable? Should I just flip a coin? Please help. After two years of these thoughts circling around in my head I’m dying while spinning my tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

It seems to me, and please correct me if I’m wrong, that the only way to become wealthy is to know lots of people and leverage your connections and information in a way that’s really similar to having lots of functions and tools in your box.
How wealthy do you want to be? If you're just aiming for early retirement/financial independence type wealth, being a programmer in a major tech hub can pay very well. Of course, then you have to be frugal and save a lot of money and wait a long time (this is more or less what I'm doing).

Some programmers also get rich from a startup, but only a small % of startups succeed in a meaningful way.

fuscus
Mar 18, 2013

Cicero posted:

How wealthy do you want to be?

My specific goal was an income of $184,046.92 per day before tax based on inflation. It's not a level of cash flow that can be met by only being a programmer, saving money won't get me there either hence my issue. It may be outlandish, but it is my goal.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

fuscus posted:

My specific goal was an income of $184,046.92 per day before tax based on inflation. It's not a level of cash flow that can be met by only being a programmer, saving money won't get me there either hence my issue. It may be outlandish, but it is my goal.

So your idea of wealthy is $67 million per year?

I'm sorry to bring harsh reality down on you, but your goal is both absolutely ludicrous and completely unnecessary. What would you even do with all of that money?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I'm guessing he meant per year, not per day. Or he's just really really ambitious.

I don't know what to tell you since this isn't my area of expertise, but generally the way to get wealthy is to be ahead of the curve in some kind of technology field. The first people to make mobile game apps, for example, made lots of money. Now I imagine it's a harder market to break into. Given that, I would pick the thing you're really interested in, because you're usually going to have to be learning a crapton about the new field, and if you're not gungho interested in it, you're not going to be able to jump in fast enough to make it worthwhile. Are both areas equally interesting to you?

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Honestly, if you're the type of person who spent two years just dicking around just thinking about it without actually doing anything, I don't think you have what it takes.

That is the thing you missed which makes this problem unsolvable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

potatoducks posted:

Honestly, if you're the type of person who spent two years just dicking around just thinking about it without actually doing anything, I don't think you have what it takes.

That is the thing you missed which makes this problem unsolvable.

Precisely.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

fuscus posted:

My specific goal was an income of $184,046.92 per day before tax based on inflation.

THis is my goal too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Have you ruled out Ponzi schemes as an option?

• Locked thread