Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
Im gonna dig traps for people. They'll land and they'll be like "Oh someone was here!" Then they'll go, "Oh I bet this hole is the guy's base or batcave or somethinaaaaaaahhh!" Bottomless pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

jBrereton posted:

So it's like that terraria in space game but you can't even play it with your friends to ignore how terrible it is. Wow!!!

Well I Imagine you will be able to play it with friends, just not for a while, maybe months depending on how much you play. But each player has a path to the galactic core on their map and there are many galaxies; this would indicate that galactic cores are like hubs to other galaxies. Once players reach that point I imagine those core regions around galactic hubs would see some traffic and it's probably where most PvP would take place (but that's a guess).

As one of the only worthwhile PC titles in a while I'll be getting it, and I'm hoping for things that could happen long down the line. Even if it doesn't pan out, still worth more of a look than most things in a while for the PC.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

chaosbreather posted:

Sorry man but everyone has a jetpack. They have limited fuel, but I still think they'll be able to get out of it

Also the odds of anyone finding a planet you've been to are about one in a billion billion

Then I shall dig my hole carefully, and deep. And wait.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

jBrereton posted:

"Wow, just even imagining the beautiful skyscapes and incredible creatures of my wonderful world of D-1488-ANKMEME, with its rocks to sell for space creds... take my wallet!"

I mean I understand what you're saying, but this game isn't much about jumping into combat right away, though you can be a pirate I suppose. Moving toward the galactic core grants you the time to gather resources and explore while upgrading your equipment and ship. This would seem like good preparation for making contact with other players, so you don't just get blown out of the sky by players as soon as you get close to any transportation hub. But also down the line you have the ability to form player factions, control territory, I mean the possibilities are there. There's not a ton of coordination in-game but on the PC third-party chat programs make that less of an issue. I'm not super-hyped for this game... but I hope it surprises me.

> e: I want to add, it's mentioned in text at the end of the video that life is scarce. Most planets are uninhabitable, many habitable planets will have only basic lifeforms. A very tiny percentage of those have advanced life (perhaps life different from the main factions?). So you can get even more unexcited about snow planets and sun-baked hellscapes(?), perhaps something like Pluto or the moons of a gas giant. To me, that's interesting.

Acid Haze fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 24, 2016

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Flavor Truck posted:

In what way is this game's galaxy/system/planet structure different from EVE? Watching that intro video in the OP made me think "They're trying really hard not to compare this to EVE." Am I missing something?

Isn't eve smaller and more combat focused? Like players gather large fleets of ships including capital ships and fight it out with other people, that kind of thing.

In NMS you may start completely alone in that particular galaxy player-wise.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Dig Pick posted:

I was super excited for this game when I saw the first video. Shooting animals? Cool. Exploring planets? Neat. Naming things after genitalia? Fun! Taking off into space? Awesome! Space Battles? Double Awesome!

Then I found out that there's no building. Huh, I thought that was the main reason people played games like this. Then they mentioned that there was no multiplayer. gently caress, why? Then I found out that each planet reverts back to how it was after you leave. gently caress you.

I thought the game was about exploring and every once in a long long while bumping into evidence that another player was there, and also being able to leave your own mark. If the only mark I can leave is being one of the 100% of people who name everything "Dickbutt" then what the gently caress. I want to carve a massive penis obelisk out of the biggest stone I can find, so that years down the road some child and his mother will stumble across this and she will beat him senseless for having seen genitals.

I'll keep an eye on the game, if it ever goes on sale for $20 then I'll absolutely buy it for nights when I'm too drunk or stoned to play something competitive. Maybe if the consensus is that the game is absolutely amazing I'll shell out the $60, but I can't imagine that happening.

As far as I know there is multiplayer, and it would evolve as time progresses. Marks you make on the planet you discover and your starting planet, I thought, remained there. There's a video of them discussing possibly finding and exploring another player's "base". Every undiscovered planet is a seed, and when discovered it becomes the world you see and you can make marks that remain though it's improbable anyone else will run across them.

Every player has a guide to the center of the galaxy, in a universe with an unknown number of galaxies. It would only make sense that you could travel to other galaxies at that point. There is no end game.

You can upload planet coordinates to the Atlas which will allow friends to travel there if they are in the same galaxy, indicating to me that the center is your commerce hub, where people move in between galaxies. So player/player interaction is possible.

Unless everything I've seen and read is a lie, even wikipedia.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

MiracleWhale posted:

protip: everything you've seen and read is a lie, even wikipedia and the bible

Well I knew about the bible at least. The more you know.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

nawcom posted:

you're gonna be alone

ArbitraryC posted:

In the developer vid I watched he explicitly said when you leave a planet all the poo poo you did to it will be gone because the way they made a game without load times was to procedurally generate everything as you're going around, the only persistence in the world is identifying and naming planets/species/etc.

he hinted that coming across a content already experienced by another player was possible but kind of actively sidestepped any questions about actually meeting other players, everytime he talked about interacting with stuff/trading/fighting/etc it was always npcs.

If the estimation on how many planets there are is accurate then basically the odds of encountering another player are infinitesimally low to the point where I'm sure they didn't even program it as a thing.

Its hard to tell. Supposedly you can send location information to the Atlas and a ship with a powerful enough warp drive/light speed can reach that planet you marked. I would guess that since player/player interaction is possible, you could meet other players, maybe even specific players that way. I am in X galaxy on Y planet. Well I guess if I can travel there I can meet that guy. Plausible, no? Based on what they've said?

And yes there's 18 billion billion planets, but in an actual galaxy there's over 100 billion (I don't expect 180k galaxies per galaxy but who knows). You can explore a galaxy or head right for the center. You're supposed to have the option of Sole exploration or trying to make it to "core" systems, near the galactic core, that may be more active and allow you to move back and forth. It seems like expectations for this game are bottoming out though. We'll see I guess?

Acid Haze fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

No As Trek

• Locked thread