Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
who is playing ragnaros? i hope its tom hanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

I hope Nordrassil is in it, the concept art they released about 200 years ago for that was loving awesome

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The budget on this was apparently $160 million and there's a good chance it won't make that back domestically which is one measure for deciding if a film is a flop. There were a whole bunch of fantasy films (usually stuffed with CGI) in the last few years that didn't crack $160m: The Huntsman: Winter's War, Gods of Egypt, Seventh Son, several Hercules films, Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters, Jack the Giant Slayer, Snow White and the Huntsman, Wrath of the Titans, etc.. Of course there were a few recent fantasy films that did make more than $160m: the three Hobbit films, Maleficent, Oz The Great and Powerful and the last few Harry Potter films if you want to go back that far.

Edit: also it's opening just after X-Men: Apocalypse, Alice Through the Looking Glass and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows and just before Finding Dory and Independence Day: Resurgence which is a reeeeeeally lovely place for a film that really desperately needs to avoid getting lost in the mix if it's going to have a shot at attracting an audience.

I honestly can't gauge whether this film will end up being popular or not but if I really had to guess whether its draw was similar to the Hobbit films or the Harry Potter films or whether it was more on the level of Wrath of the Titans or Snow White and the Huntsman I'd really have to go with the latter which would be really bad news for this film.

There is basically no way this movie won't make $500mil+, and I'd bet closer to $800mil to be honest.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 24, 2016

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Fallows posted:

who is playing ragnaros? i hope its tom hanks

too soon

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I've already written to Blizzard on the topic of how the characters' shoulderpads are too small. I hope they fix it before the final release or they will be in for a rude awakening.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

thralls balls

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
The scene where Sylvanas and Jaina kiss each other, did they REALLY have to put that in there? :what:

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Orcs who are a different colour to the good guy orcs

Maybe for the first part of the first film, but then they'll face a common enemy that they hint at in the trailers with the green magic energy.

The different color orcs and humans dwarves all have to band together and form like a Fellowship sort of thing to fight against some looming, great evil that threatens to destroy the realms of man... and orcs... and dwarves.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
This thread reminded me that the angry birds movie and ratchet and clank came out/are coming out this year. Jesus, was there like a lovely video game movie time portal that these all fell into five years ago?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

TheMostFrench posted:

Target demographic located.

i did play WoW but i actually seen this movie as part of my job and got paid to do so. : p

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

tazjin posted:

I hope Nordrassil is in it, the concept art they released about 200 years ago for that was loving awesome

its not. the only capital city in the movie is Stormwind.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
It's probably going to be a mediocre romp through Warcraft lore and tired fantasy tropes but it'll make stupid amounts of money and you know it.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
They should've just knocked off Game of Thrones and made a miniseries out of Warcraft 2 full of shifting alliances and dragons and orc titties and exploding goblins

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dunno if anyone has mentioned this yet but Two Worlds was an awful game. just absolutely bad.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Lok'tar ogar

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I hope this movie does so well in China, and so poorly in America, that we end up with an American-produced Warcraft movie series produced exclusively for Chinese audiences

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
World of Meh-craft

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Edit: even Free Birds and the Nut Job made $55m and $64m domestically and passed $100m worldwide (and The Nut Job is even getting a sequel!!) so they're levels beyond Ratchet and Clank, although the quality seems to be about the same to me.

Which is sort of what I think Sony was at least hoping for with Ratchet and Clank: A film that did do at least those sort of low numbers in the US, but also be just popular enough to be able to sell overseas. Had it done in the $40-60M range in the US and been the #1 animated film the week of release in the US, that likely would have been considered probably just popular enough to give it a push to try to get it into China.

I could almost see why Sony THOUGHT it would have done well. That week of release the only other new releases were Keanu and Mother's Day, neither one being really kids-aimed films. The main rival films out in the realm of kid-family animation or adventure in the last few weeks would have been Jungle Book and Zootopia, both having been out a considerable time by that point, maybe a second week Huntsman 2. Sony probably hadn't anticipated they'd be looking at a Jungle Book that was still #1 and still having $40M+ weekends 3 weeks in and everything else was a way distant second. Heck, it even came in below Zootopia at the box office and that film had been out forever.

As you said, there are a lot of restrictions to what China will allow in, but the R&C seems like something inoffensive and unquestionable enough that Sony could get into China while also acting as a bit of a promotional tool for their gaming stuff.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Mods please rename me SEXUAL ORC

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

im that kind of orc

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Sometimes I make bad decisions. Putting that phrase in Google image search was one of them.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
This Aint Game of Thrones: A XXX Parody

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Minimalist Program posted:

Mods please rename me SEXUAL ORC

im Orc-curious

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Business Gorillas posted:

i mean this movie is like 5 years too late to actually be a big deal and make money

This is honestly the most baffling thing to me. I've never played WoW because :lol:, but it seems like it doesn't have the market cornered for MMORPG stuff nowadays. The movie probably would have made a shitload of money in like 2008, but now?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This is honestly the most baffling thing to me. I've never played WoW because :lol:, but it seems like it doesn't have the market cornered for MMORPG stuff nowadays. The movie probably would have made a shitload of money in like 2008, but now?

They still have 4-5 million subscribers ponying up a sub fee every month (on top of whatever cosmetic stuff they sell) which is basically an inbuilt audience already.

Also I think you underestimate how much nerds like Blizzard and Warcraft stuff. Just because WoW is outdated (which is arguable honestly, it's definitely peaked though) doesn't mean tons of nerds won't rush to throw money at Warcraft.

Plus think of all the merchandise...

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Work complete!

https://youtu.be/PqczlhTpT2I

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Roylicious posted:

Plus think of all the merchandise...

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
i hope david bowie jr dedicated the film to david bowie senior and then david bowie senior dies again in englishman heaven bc his son dedicated a big old flopper of a turd to his eternal soul

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

MeatwadIsGod posted:

it's not like people will have unplayed the game

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Fishy Joe posted:

i hope david bowie jr dedicated the film to david bowie senior and then david bowie senior dies again in englishman heaven bc his son dedicated a big old flopper of a turd to his eternal soul

i, too, hate patton oswalt

:respek:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Funko poo poo all looks awful, I don't get why anybody would buy them.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
poo poo thsi whole time i was posting about elfs and it was the gay thread for getting gay in all along

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
hubris

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
humm are you saying elves can't be gay that's rude

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Outpost22 posted:

but doesn;t hollywood have a long history of great video game based movies, such as

mortal kombat

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

JiveHonky posted:

This Aint Game of Thrones: A XXX Parody

Lena Headey indeed

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sophia Turder

Carice von Hooter

Liam Cunnyngham

Peter Dinklage

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

that's cuz mortal kombat was a kung fu movie not a video game movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

SciFiDownBeat posted:

dunno if anyone has mentioned this yet but Two Worlds was an awful game. just absolutely bad.
It was alright actually.

• Locked thread