Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

rline, or italicize anything in my text messages

thousands of small images for teenage girls to use yet i can't use basic formatting... 2016, am i right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
:chloe:

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
what the gently caress are you talking about

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Text messages killed bold, underline and italics. Now all people do is CAPS and a n n o y i n g spaced words because they seek "soft formatting" alternatives.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Windows 98 posted:

I DUNNO MAN

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Ferroque posted:

Text messages killed bold, underline and italics. Now all people do is CAPS and a n n o y i n g spaced words because they seek "soft formatting" alternatives.

what going on in your avatar my brother

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Clicked expecting a dare thread

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
😂😂😂🍆🍆🍆🍆

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i wish i could use strikethrough on facebook posts and comments. i could take my owns to a whole new level with that.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

JiveHonky posted:

what going on in your avatar my brother

somebody from texas wanted to mail me a brick but instead someone bought me an avatar about it

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Ferroque posted:

somebody from texas wanted to mail me a brick but instead someone bought me an avatar about it

ahhhhh ok

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i wish i could use strikethrough on facebook posts and comments. i could take my owns to a whole new level with that.

strikethrough is like a fancy way of going.... NOT!!!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
👉👌

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
😬😬😬

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Windows 98 posted:

what is with your avatar? I'm seeing that dude everywhere and it's weird

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Hahahaha!!! Nice!

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Cowman posted:

what is with your avatar? I'm seeing that dude everywhere and it's weird

Someone bought a bunch of posters this avatar and now I am hoping Dare doesn't care about his money and changes it for me

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
The Unicode Standard is a character encoding standard, and is not intended to standardize presentation forms. It is recommended that implementers use a proper markup language such as SGML. The Unicode Standard cannot and will not provide a generalized solution to rich text issues such as formatting and image display.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
well op

emoji are part of the unicode character set so when you type an emoji, you're typing a weird-rear end letter that corresponds to a hex code

no text formatting involved 🕶

rape by deception
May 24, 2016

by Shine
i think regulation is one thing i think emotional honesty and forgiveness dont need regulation

ask sandy hook about that

wack tacky kathy needs to learn more about it then maybe shell fix her luxury communism flaw that people that are 13 understand

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

rape by deception posted:

i think regulation is one thing i think emotional honesty and forgiveness dont need regulation

ask sandy hook about that

wack tacky kathy needs to learn more about it then maybe shell fix her luxury communism flaw that people that are 13 understand

well alex

coral is mine

you ain't gonna put a bun in her oven cos ill get there first

rape by deception
May 24, 2016

by Shine
lol k but get her to drop my life long enslavement and death sentence charges pls

i know i have to be ur foram wickerman cuz u guys know best and #killallmen but like id like to move on now that i know 20 years of my life has been plastered online by catholic school elementary kids

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ferroque posted:

thousands of small images for teenage girls to use yet i can't use basic formatting... 2016, am i right?

your idea does not help them make more money for charging for data usage

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

rape by deception posted:

lol k but get her to drop my life long enslavement and death sentence charges pls

i know i have to be ur foram wickerman cuz u guys know best and #killallmen but like id like to move on now that i know 20 years of my life has been plastered online by catholic school elementary kids

go with god my son

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Cuck

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Emojis are bad, sa smilies are cool and good

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

That Robot posted:

well op

emoji are part of the unicode character set so when you type an emoji, you're typing a weird-rear end letter that corresponds to a hex code

no text formatting involved 🕶

how about every cell phone manufacturer agrees to some sort of meta marking like, for example, the BBcode in use on this very own website

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
girls and millenials use emojis therefore they suck, they're like little deathfats you put in your texts

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

:yeah:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

op is the poop emoji

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ferroque posted:

This guy gets it. I need my italics.

Aug 4, 2010

dont call them emojis fuckboi

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Yes, OP. The reason why is emoji are just Unicode characters, so they don't require any changes to the text messaging protocols to add new ones. Adding formatting would require everyone to change their poo poo and most people use poo poo phones that don't receive updates.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

Yes, OP. The reason why is emoji are just Unicode characters, so they don't require any changes to the text messaging protocols to add new ones. Adding formatting would require everyone to change their poo poo and most people use poo poo phones that don't receive updates.

Time to move away from SMS we aren't in the loving stoneage

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Ferroque posted:

Time to move away from SMS we aren't in the loving stoneage

you aren't wrong, but then you would no longer be text messaging, you would be rich text messaging, so your original complaint would still stand.

that would be cool, we would send people 'riches'

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
OP, is your AV a cow themed version of Mancala?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Could the issue be solved by having a user interface that allowed for more formatting options, and just sending that over mms, instead of sms?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The OP does hAve a point but millenials are too illiterate to understand anything but crude pictographs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Unicode has separate italics and bold Latin characters for math stuff so theoretically you could send text messages using those if you wanted to? Don't know if phones can show them properly though

• Locked thread