Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Abstract of 'Just awful enough: the functional dysfunction of the something awful forums' posted:

The Something Awful Forums (SAF) is an online community comprised of a loosely connected federation of forums, united in a distinctive brand of humor with a focus on the quality of member contributions. In this case study we find that the site has sustained success while deviating from common conventions and norms of online communities. Humor and the quality of content contributed by SAF members foster practices that seem counterintuitive to the development of a stable and thriving community. In this case study we show how design decisions are contextual and inter-dependent and together these heuristics create a different kind of online third place that challenges common practices.

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2557193

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

ah yes let me log on to SAF

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
not gonna lie, SA is pretty unique and that's why somehow I've stayed with this piece of poo poo forum

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
did you know that OP can suck on my drat balls and eat the poo poo directly out of my rear end in a top hat?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

not gonna lie, SA is pretty unique and that's why somehow I've stayed with this piece of poo poo forum

that and Stockholm syndrome

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

If I was the professor I would fail every one of those grad students faster than they can whip up my triple venti chai white mocha latte

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

click click

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

do they name drop me as either this name or sid Vicious if not I don't care bitch

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I have a bachelors in the gamefaqs spinoff luelinks "eti"

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Just awful enough: the functional dysfunction of the something awful forums

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

Sigh. I don't think I'll ever get into the Georgia Institute of Technology :smugjones:

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Celluloid Sam posted:

do they name drop me as either this name or sid Vicious if not I don't care bitch

there is a nic e part where they talk about how it would be nice for sid to sleep under a peach tree after a lovely picnic of pan fried chicken and potato salad and wonderful little cream puffs and how he might rest against the trunk on a red checkered blanket and sleep off a glass or two of blackberry wine and awake refreshed and invigorated and with a chipmunk gnawing at an errant cream puff

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Shaquin posted:

there is a nic e part where they talk about how it would be nice for sid to sleep under a peach tree after a lovely picnic of pan fried chicken and potato salad and wonderful little cream puffs and how he might rest against the trunk on a red checkered blanket and sleep off a glass or two of blackberry wine and awake refreshed and invigorated and with a chipmunk gnawing at an errant cream puff

awwwwwwww :3:

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
who the gently caress is going to pay 15 bucks for that poo poo

lolberal arts indeed

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Study my butt nerdlings

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

Horniest Manticore posted:

who the gently caress is going to pay 15 bucks for that poo poo

lolberal arts indeed

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
just :lol: if you click that link

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Suck my tiny Dick op

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i am surprised this is not a zoological report

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone with university access want to post the pdf?

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
My Academic Essay Has the Same Level of Insight of a Buzzfeed Article, And That's Okay!

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Join the SAF today.

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.
I've requested text through ResearchGate. Let youse know.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
study acurately shows i am 100% gay with the worlds 3rd smallest micropenis. kudos to the research team

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just run it through scihub.io

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.
OK that was easy. Now what? It's a 4-page PDF

Another interesting component of SAF is the lack of
internal consistency of the guiding rules. In many
instances, there is an explicit statement that the moderators
don’t care if it seems unfair:

A lot about shitposting too

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
15$ that's like a complete luxurious account on my loose forums

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
lolol 15 dollars

w/o even an impact factor

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

15$ loving lol

tough stains
May 23, 2007

It was free through ResearchGate. I could scan it I guess

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i figured the op would be a link to "fat idiots even less desirable than models predicted", so thank you for exceeding my expectations.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

mdm posted:

I have a bachelors in the gamefaqs spinoff luelinks "eti"

Me 2

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
one of the authors:

look like our kinda gal

e: oh lord it's even worse

her bio posted:

Jessica is a Ph.D. student in Human Centered Computing. Her research focuses on the characterization of non-suicidal self-injury and self-harm within a social computing context. Specifically, she studies the presentations of eating disorders online within adolescent populations. She is currently investigating how social computing activities can be captured by diagnostic tools, allowing healthcare professionals to better understand the breadth and depth of the digital contexts of their mental disease. She holds a B.S. and M.S. in International Affairs from Georgia Tech. She also currently works full-time as a Researcher for the Georgia Tech Research Institute in the Information and Communications Lab. Her research areas include computer supported cooperative work (CSCW), human-computer interaction (HCI), social computing, & mental health and wellness.

Horniest Manticore fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 25, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's a funny video on the link

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How many pages were dedicated to All Your Base and Zybourne Clock?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

one of the authors:

look like our kinda gal

GBS hates women -------- Kegdawg

tough stains
May 23, 2007

God it's dull

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

one of the authors:

look like our kinda gal

I'd have the secks with her. Hopefully she reads this and PMs me for a good time and place

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Kuato posted:

I'd have the secks with her. Hopefully she reads this and PMs me for a good time and place

she looks like jastiger's type, but she goes to school in georgia. that's some downright operatic level conflict right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Page 2

• Locked thread