Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Break it down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
3. seems like something we'd do.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Pick the Lock.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yo-ho, break the door down! (2)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Seems almost impossible to pick the lock if the ship is swinging all over the place. Tear down that door.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

The ship shudders as you stagger through the ship to the captain's berth. The door is locked, so unless someone locked themselves in to escape the combat, it seems unlikely anyone's there. But with the groaning of the ship around you, you doubt you'd hear anyone inside even if they were within. What do you do?

1. Pound on the door and yell at anyone within to get on deck.

2. Break down the door with my shoulder.

3. Pick the lock.

quote:

+6 Pistols & Swords

The deck just won't hold still, and you're losing time. If there's anyone in there, they heard you trying to break down the door, at least. You call out that the ship is sinking and anyone inside should get aloft, and then make your way ahead. Where do you look for others?

1. The fore crew berths.

2. The cargo hold.

3. I've done enough. I abandon ship.

quote:

You stumble to the crew berths at the head of the ship. There's not much to them, and in a few moments, there will be much less. Thankfully, that means it's easy to see no one's there. Where do you look for others?

1. The cargo hold.

2. I've done enough. I abandon ship.

quote:

The cargo hold has taken the brunt of the damage from the duel of the cambiantes, and the small space is difficult to navigate even at the best of times. "Is anyone down here?" you shout, and you're surprised to hear a shout to the aft.

"Help!"

It's hard to see in the darkness, but you think it's the cabin boy, a lad named Jim.

"I'm coming!" you call, and you press onward, despite the way the cargo has tumbled out of its bindings. When you reach him, your stomach tightens — he's wedged beneath a barrel of freshwater, and though it looks like he's been trying to squeeze his way out, he's stuck fast. The ship's shuddering is coming faster now, and there's not much time to get back above.

1. I have to leave him. There's no time to save his life and save my own.

2. I use my magic to shift the water in the barrel, like a wave.

3. I push it off of him.

4. I break open the barrel to let the water out.

Stats posted:

Ye
Name: Spack Jarrow
Moniker: none
Flagship: None
Flag: none
Signature Clothing: none

Yer Skills
Fame: 10%
Pistols & Swords: 41%
Cambiar: 35%
Skullduggery: 54%
Parley: 35%
Sailing: 55%

Yer Reputation
Ruthless: 50% Honorable: 50%
Greed: 34% Goodwill: 66%
Privateer: 28% Pirate: 72%

Yer Resources
Booty: 10 doubloons
Fleet: 0
Lover: none

Yer Relationships
Caesar Lord: 70%
?: 20%
?: 30%
El Sabio: 10%
The Crown: 10%
Your Crew: 50%

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Put yer back into it, lad!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
1! 2! 3! PUSH!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

You were too good for this CYOA, Jim.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
We've been buffing skullduggery and sailing, now's not a great time to start muscling everything. Gamers know how to solve a physics puzzle: 4.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
We are known for our sneakiness and our wits, not our muscles! 4!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Empty half barrels are easier to move 4

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

"I'm coming!" you call, and you press onward, despite the way the cargo has tumbled out of its bindings. When you reach him, your stomach tightens — he's wedged beneath a barrel of freshwater, and though it looks like he's been trying to squeeze his way out, he's stuck fast. The ship's shuddering is coming faster now, and there's not much time to get back above.

1. I have to leave him. There's no time to save his life and save my own.

2. I use my magic to shift the water in the barrel, like a wave.

3. I push it off of him.

4. I break open the barrel to let the water out.

quote:

+4 Skullduggery
+2 Goodwill

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED
Life Saver: Save Jim the Cabin Boy from an untimely death. (25 points)

Prying off the head is tricky, but you use your dagger to jiggle it free — and, in the process, break some of the barrel for further leaking. It doesn't take long for the barrel to empty enough to roll free. Thankfully, he's not badly injured, and he can stumble almost as well as you can. But there's just not enough time. Before you can reach the ladder, the hull bursts, and water hits you like a club, throwing you off your feet. You reach out to grab Jim's arm, and he grabs yours. You're not sure if the lad knows how to swim, but you learned long ago. It's one of the skills you're most grateful for, and one far too often lacking in sailors.

Not that swimming is easy in this mess. As the ship shudders, the hole in the hull gets bigger, and you think your best chance is in the open water. It's not a good chance, but it's what you've got. You pull Jim up into the air. "Take a breath and hold on!" you command. The boy gives a scared nod and clings to you for dear life.

It's a good thing, too, because you're not sure you could swim and hold on to him. You dive into the water, the boy clinging to your back, and you pull upward, toward where you can see the sun reflecting on the surface. For a moment, you think that it's too far. That despite everything, you and Jim are going to sink to your deaths.

Then a huge black hand plunges down into the water and drags you up. You and Jim gasp in unison, and Caesar Lord grins. "I wondered where you had gone, Spack," he says, and though it's delivered lightly, his relief is almost palpable.

"Permission to come aboard?" you ask wearily, and Caesar hauls you both without further fuss into the dinghy he and several of your crewmates are rowing.

quote:

The wrecks of the two ships finally sink below the horizon as your dinghy arrives at the port several hours later. There may have been a few times when you've been happier to have solid ground beneath your feet, but you're hard-pressed to think of one. Captain Blackguard is issuing orders to his remaining crew—at a dock much farther down, you see Briar doing the same to hers. You've lived to fight another day, but it looks like there'll be no escape from your contract with Blackguard yet. His sharp eye finds you in the crowd, and you know exactly what his expression means.

But there might be an escape for the cabin boy. "I never want to go back to sea for as long as I live," he whispers to you. "I'm off, and with luck, Blackguard will never find me. You can be sure that I'll tell of the bravery of Spack Silver as long as I live." He squeezes your forearm. "Thank you."

And then he's gone into the crowd, and you suspect you'll never see him again. For his own sake, you hope not.

+10 Fame
+9 Relationship with El Sabio

So here you are, back in the port you left earlier today. If the Captain has any kindness in his soul — which you doubt — you'll be headed to the Black Dog for a drink or some music.

You can always hope.

CHAPTER TWO - SAN ALFONSO

quote:

San Alfonso. If the Crown were to be believed, San Alfonso would be the cesspool into which all of the villains and ruffians of the high seas drained. And while they'd be right about the company, San Alfonso is nothing like a cesspool. It's a bit more akin to the tropical paradises you hear about in the romances, or the even older tales of the beautiful island of Calypso.

In atmosphere, it lacks nothing: natural spring water runs freely, the trees provide papayas and mangoes aplenty, and the natural harbor guards against the worst weather—and the Crown's naval patrols. The port town itself is a vibrant place where locals mingle casually with sailors from distant shores, where music cascades down the streets, and where the rum flows in abundance.

But it's also a clean little town, and though the law itself is quite relaxed, there's an unspoken truce among pirates, and an understanding that those who take advantage of the hospitality of San Alfonso in a way that harms her people will find themselves barred from the island. How this should come to pass, you're not sure, but there must be a reason that the leader of the port town is known as El Sabio — The Wise.

What part of San Alfonso do you enjoy visiting most on your trips to port?

1. La Universidad de Cambiar—The School of Magic.

2. La Biblioteca de Alejandro—The Library of Alexander.

3. The bazaar.

4. La taberna del Lobo Negro—The Black Wolf tavern.

Stats posted:

Ye

Yer Skills
Fame: 20%
Pistols & Swords: 41%
Skullduggery: 58%

Yer Reputation
Greed: 32% Goodwill: 68%

Yer Resources

Yer Relationships
El Sabio: 19%

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Isn't it bazaar?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
We love to hang out with our brother and sister scallywags, strumpets and other assorted rascals in the Black Wolf Tavern!

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
PBR me ASAP

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
1) We became a pirate because tuition was stupid expensive.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Captain Blackguard settles in at a large table and, for the moment, seems to have forgotten about you, giving you a short time to indulge your curiosity about the other patrons of the Lobo Negro. You've met friends and enemies and lovers under this roof — sometimes all three at once. After a day like today, you'd be glad of some congenial companionship. What sort of lovers do you normally seek?

1. I prefer men.

2. I prefer women.

3. Men or women — doesn't matter, so long as they're a bit of fun.

4. I don't take lovers — I don't trust anyone in my bed.

5. I don't take lovers — I'm just not interested.

6. I don't want to go to bed with anyone I'm not serious about, but I don't mind looking.

quote:

You've had a merry tumble with men and women patrons of the Lobo Negro alike, and you recognize a few of your former companions at the tavern tonight. But it's not your former partners who catch your eye this evening.

Like everyone else in the Lobo Negro, your attention is drawn to Anne Read, a wealthy pirate captain who's never given you a second glance. She's everything the romances make a pirate out to be—and arrogant to boot. She boasts she'll one day be the next Pirate King, and the way she holds court at the Lobo Negro, it's as if she's already assumed her title. (Read would never let her gender stop her from becoming a king, or anything else she pleased to be, and the King is a king — regardless of who holds the role.) She might not be worth the trouble she'd undoubtedly come with, but there's no denying that she's attractive, and she's got the strength — and power — to back up her bragging.

In the crowd that flocks to her, you notice a newcomer who's particularly intriguing. He's leaning against the wall near Anne's table, and it's the way he watches them that makes you look at him twice — oh, he's pretty enough, if you like that sort of thing, and as muscular as a sailor should be (though he's nowhere near Caesar's size and strength). But those eyes take in everything, and you can't help but wonder how that attention to detail would play out in his bed — or in yours.

Then again, there could be a reason for that watchful attitude. He's not looking at Anne with the worshipful gaze she expects, but a more calculating expression, and that could mean trouble.

quote:

There's another newcomer you notice, though for different reasons: a young cambiante — an islander by heritage, if you're not mistaken — is seated at a table by herself, which means she's made an impression on someone. No one sits alone at the Lobo Negro unless they inspire respect or fear, so the cambiante must have done something to stake her claim. Despite the honor, she doesn't look pleased with her solitary position. You could take a risk of buying her a drink and see if her frown is perpetual, or if she'd lighten up on the promise of a bit of fun.

And then a raucous burst of laughter draws your attention to another table, where John Gunn, a drunk old sea-dog, is once again recounting his adventures to a group of young sailors, with such exaggeration that no bait in the world could catch the truth.

Who would you like to approach?

1. I head to the bar with Caesar.

2. I go to Anne Read's table.

3. I sidle up to the newcomer watching Anne's table.

4. I go chat with the cambiante.

5. I join the sailors listening to John Gunn.

Stats posted:

Ye

Yer Skills
Pistols & Swords: 46%

Yer Reputation

Yer Resources

Yer Relationships

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 30, 2016

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
3 - Men, women, sentient ocean-going vessels, golden idols, ale, I love a lot of things

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

2. Comely wenches are what pirates are all about.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Buxom wenches is where it's at!

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
6 might unlock some story options or clues about The Best Lover (I'm hoping Captain Briar)?

Scapegrace
Oct 26, 2005
Einstein rode a bike!
3 Any port in a storm.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The only good answer is 3. Pirates swing whichever way the wind blows.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Captain Blackguard settles in at a large table and, for the moment, seems to have forgotten about you, giving you a short time to indulge your curiosity about the other patrons of the Lobo Negro. You've met friends and enemies and lovers under this roof — sometimes all three at once. After a day like today, you'd be glad of some congenial companionship. What sort of lovers do you normally seek?

1. I prefer men.

2. I prefer women.

3. Men or women — doesn't matter, so long as they're a bit of fun.

4. I don't take lovers — I don't trust anyone in my bed.

5. I don't take lovers — I'm just not interested.

6. I don't want to go to bed with anyone I'm not serious about, but I don't mind looking.

quote:

You've had a merry tumble with men and women patrons of the Lobo Negro alike, and you recognize a few of your former companions at the tavern tonight. But it's not your former partners who catch your eye this evening.

Like everyone else in the Lobo Negro, your attention is drawn to Anne Read, a wealthy pirate captain who's never given you a second glance. She's everything the romances make a pirate out to be—and arrogant to boot. She boasts she'll one day be the next Pirate King, and the way she holds court at the Lobo Negro, it's as if she's already assumed her title. (Read would never let her gender stop her from becoming a king, or anything else she pleased to be, and the King is a king — regardless of who holds the role.) She might not be worth the trouble she'd undoubtedly come with, but there's no denying that she's attractive, and she's got the strength — and power — to back up her bragging.

In the crowd that flocks to her, you notice a newcomer who's particularly intriguing. He's leaning against the wall near Anne's table, and it's the way he watches them that makes you look at him twice — oh, he's pretty enough, if you like that sort of thing, and as muscular as a sailor should be (though he's nowhere near Caesar's size and strength). But those eyes take in everything, and you can't help but wonder how that attention to detail would play out in his bed — or in yours.

Then again, there could be a reason for that watchful attitude. He's not looking at Anne with the worshipful gaze she expects, but a more calculating expression, and that could mean trouble.

quote:

There's another newcomer you notice, though for different reasons: a young cambiante — an islander by heritage, if you're not mistaken — is seated at a table by herself, which means she's made an impression on someone. No one sits alone at the Lobo Negro unless they inspire respect or fear, so the cambiante must have done something to stake her claim. Despite the honor, she doesn't look pleased with her solitary position. You could take a risk of buying her a drink and see if her frown is perpetual, or if she'd lighten up on the promise of a bit of fun.

And then a raucous burst of laughter draws your attention to another table, where John Gunn, a drunk old sea-dog, is once again recounting his adventures to a group of young sailors, with such exaggeration that no bait in the world could catch the truth.

Stats posted:

Ye

Yer Skills

Yer Reputation

Yer Resources

Yer Relationships

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

2. Maybe we can get in good with a better captain.

Also you seem to have copied the current update over the previous.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
4. We've lost out on using magic in combat and studying it, let's at least gently caress a magic user! ...Or get rejected by one, whichever.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Lokapala posted:

4. We've lost out on using magic in combat and studying it, let's at least gently caress a magic user! ...Or get rejected by one, whichever.

4. This is exactly my feeling. Maybe we can end up with the deadliest cabin girl ever.

Espresso Steampunk fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 31, 2016

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Let's show that wizard chick (4) some real pirate magic :pervert:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

3 - the eyes have it

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
2. I go to Anne Read's table. - If she's not a Pirate Queen officially yet, would that make her a Pirate Princess?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

quote:

The patrons around you all give you that look—like you're either brave or an idiot—as you approach the table with the sad-looking cambiante. "May I join you?" you ask, and the cambiante looks up, startled.

"Por supuesto," she says quickly, and one of the chairs from the table shifts toward you. You could have sworn her feet weren't close enough to move it, but she couldn't have used cambiar — not without chanting or body motions. Could she? "Sorry. I didn't expect anyone to join me."

1. "A pretty thing like you? Surely you don't want for company, m'lady (tips tricorne hat)."

2. "You must have impressed someone to end up with a solo table."

3. "Why not?"

Stats posted:

Ye

Yer Skills

Yer Reputation

Yer Resources

Yer Relationships

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
2. 1 makes us look like an rear end in a top hat and 3 makes us look like a dunce.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Going with 2.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Going with 1 :q: Gooniest of Pirates.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
#1.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
2) "You must be an incredible badass." is rarely a bad conversation starter.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

"Por supuesto," she says quickly, and one of the chairs from the table shifts toward you. You could have sworn her feet weren't close enough to move it, but she couldn't have used cambiar — not without chanting or body motions. Could she? "Sorry. I didn't expect anyone to join me."

1. "A pretty thing like you? Surely you don't want for company, m'lady (tips tricorne hat)."

2. "You must have impressed someone to end up with a solo table."

3. "Why not?"

quote:

-3 Relationship with Tinima

The chair she'd nudged away from the table for you suddenly slams back into it. You're not sure how she did it — she used cambiar, you're sure, but without chanting, which makes it clear that people should be impressed. "Apparently not enough for my reputation to have spread," she says with suspicion. "Just what are your intentions?"

You hold your arms open defensively. "I just wanted to chat," you say. "I was curious what a cambiante was doing sitting on her own in the Lobo Negro. It's not exactly the Universidad."

She shrugs. "Just looking for a ship," she says. "I'm Tinima." It's not uncommon among islanders — or pirates, for that matter — to have a single name.

"Spack Jarrow," you offer. "And while I think my captain's likely to leave our cambiante here in port after our last battle, I can't say I recommend his ship…."

quote:

But before you can converse further, John Gunn launches himself up from his table, tipping half the drinks.

"Tis the sure and honest truth!" he roars. "I've the map on me. And I'll prove it! I'll bring the treasure back, and no one will laugh at John Gunn again!"

Then he stumbles out of the taberna and into the night. His departure is largely greeted with laughter, but Blackguard isn't laughing. Your captain stands, beckons to you and Caesar Lord, and heads outside. You know without a doubt that he's going to go after Gunn's treasure.

1. I excuse myself and follow; he is my captain.

2. I excuse myself and follow; there's treasure to be had.

3. I look to see what Caesar is going to do.

4. I wait. What's Blackguard going to do to me in the Lobo Negro?

Stats posted:

Ye

Yer Skills