Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

4 Captain Fun rides again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
4 - Howsabout some excitement in your afterlife, old librarian ghost ship?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
4 Trying to figure out Spack Jarrow's gender has got to be way more interesting than sitting at dock.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
Aren't you 4'd of being moored?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Going with 4 here.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
4. "Aren't you bored of being moored?" It'll be fun, I promise!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

"You must be the latest in a long line of daredevil captains to attempt to take my ship," the old woman says, her voice crotchety. "What makes you think I'll give her to you?"

1. "What makes you think I'm asking?"

2. "Begone, foul spirit!"

3. "I see a long and profitable partnership opportunity…."

4. "Aren't you bored of being moored?"

5. "Do let's be reasonable about this!"

quote:

"Appealing to an old lady's sense of nostalgia?" the ghost scolds. "Shame on you." The ship shudders, and you get the sense that it's threatening to throw you off. It looks like you only have one last chance to come to terms with the old woman.

"Again I ask, what makes you think I'll give my ship to you?"

Stats posted:

Ye
Name: Spack Jarrow
Moniker: none
Flagship: None
Flag: none
Signature Clothing: none

Yer Skills
Fame: 28%
Pistols & Swords: 56%
Cambiar: 53%
Skullduggery: 58%
Parley: 41%
Sailing: 55%

Yer Reputation
Ruthless: 68% Honorable: 32%
Greed: 38% Goodwill: 62%
Privateer: 28% Pirate: 72%

Yer Resources
Booty: 672 doubloons
Fleet: 0
Lover: none

Yer Relationships
Caesar Lord: 81%
?: 20%
Anne Read: 20%
Tinima Cambiante: 40%
El Sabio: 19%
The Crown: 10%
Your Crew: 50%

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
1. "What makes you think I'm asking?" Seriously, you're a ghost, as in immaterial. And you don't have a crew. I do.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
5. Ghosts can't be killed but she can certainly throw us off the ship and then we'd actually have to spend money and no one wants that. Please be reasonable, you don't want to be stuck here forever and I will be super respectful to you!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
3- This'll be long and profitable!

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I'm going to be wrong about every choice in this game, apparently.

Fine, 3 - tempt a pirate ghost with pirate treasure.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
3 stay safe poverty ghost

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Ghost partner

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

Lazaruise posted:

5. Ghosts can't be killed but she can certainly throw us off the ship and then we'd actually have to spend money and no one wants that. Please be reasonable, you don't want to be stuck here forever and I will be super respectful to you!
Vintage Captain Spack Jarrow

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Eh, this lady seems like kind of a hardass. Let's appeal to that. "What makes you think I'm asking?"

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
3. Because I suspect this particular ghost pirate is all money-cash-hoes, which I find disappointing, but it is really her ship so we have to indulge her.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Double Plus Undead posted:

Eh, this lady seems like kind of a hardass. Let's appeal to that. "What makes you think I'm asking?"

This

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
1. What makes you think I'm asking.

You're the captain, remember. Sole master after God. And God only cares about ships named Enterprise, or something ...

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

1 No way this ends badly!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

"Appealing to an old lady's sense of nostalgia?" the ghost scolds. "Shame on you." The ship shudders, and you get the sense that it's threatening to throw you off. It looks like you only have one last chance to come to terms with the old woman.

"Again I ask, what makes you think I'll give my ship to you?"

quote:

+18 Fame
+1 Fleet
-4 Relationship with Tinima Cambiante

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED
Ship Owner: Acquire one ship to launch your fleet.

Tinima groans and hides her face in her hands, but the old woman laughs. "I like your style, kid," she says. "You got a name?"

"Captain Spack Jarrow," you say.

"Granny O'Malley," she answers. "I'll let you captain my ship for a bit. So long as you don't make me mad. Don't think I won't toss you at the first opportunity if I think you're treating her wrong."

"I've no doubts you'd try," you say, showing teeth.

The ghost laughs and fades, and the dusty atmosphere fades with her. The ship looks beautiful, better cared for than most ships with a living crew.

"Let's take her out," you say to your small crew. "Hoist the sails and let's see what she can do!"

As soon as the mainsail is down, Tinima summons a soft wind to take her out, and you spend an hour at sea that could almost be a pleasure cruise. And you've still got time to make the auction. You won't officially own the Sea Queen until you tell Carolina de la Playa the good news about your haunted ship.

quote:

The auction is scheduled for two bells, a few hours after de la Playa left you, and you hear some buzz around San Alfonso as the time nears. A crowd gathers near the harbormaster's office, including several members of your crew and some faces you recognize from the Lobo Negro. Anne Read is there, looking as fabulous and wealthy as her reputation. The newcomer you noticed at the Lobo Negro last night approaches you from the crowd. He holds out his hand for you to shake, making a show of not having any weapons available. You suspect he's got at least one dagger in his vest, and that peace knot on his sword looks more decorative than functional. There's something that seems just a little off about him; he doesn't quite fit in here in San Alfonso. But then, San Alfonso gets all kinds.

"Joaquin de Aviles," he says, introducing himself. "They say you're the man to know if I want inside knowledge about this auction."

Caesar gives you a look requesting permission to rid yourselves of this suspiciously cheerful newcomer, but you shake your head. No need to be rude. Yet.

"Depends on what you want to know," you say.

"I understand there's going to be a duel," he says lightly. "Is that how things are normally done around here?"

1. "Sometimes."

2. "Not usually. We're not all that bloodthirsty."

3. "What better way to solve a quarrel?"

Stats posted:

Ye

Yer Skills
Fame: 46%

Yer Reputation

Yer Resources
Fleet: 1

Yer Relationships
Joaquin de Aviles: 20%
Tinima Cambiante: 36%

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Arrr, what a good way to settle a quarrel, me hearty

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

Slaan posted:

Arrr, what a good way to settle a quarrel, me hearty

I see this is another CYOA where we will be going full ruthlessness.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

EzEight posted:

It got us the ship, so...

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

EzEight posted:

Eh, you guys voted to share the treasure with John Gunn (the guy who had the treasure map) instead of shooting him. That's already far from going full ruthlessness.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Sometimes, we say cagily to the suspicious person who's probably about to challenge us to a duel.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
1. "Sometimes.". And I don't think I need to duel you for MY SHIP.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
1) Sometimes. Let's hedge our responses with the new comer

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Sometimes

Pirates, you know?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Eh, you guys voted to share the treasure with John Gunn (the guy who had the treasure map) instead of shooting him. That's already far from going full ruthlessness.

Well, that can still be fixed. :colbert:

Violence is the answer

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

"I understand there's going to be a duel," he says lightly. "Is that how things are normally done around here?"

1. "Sometimes."

2. "Not usually. We're not all that bloodthirsty."

3. "What better way to solve a quarrel?"

quote:

You give a non-committal response, but Joaquin smiles at you anyway, his eyes searching your face for some additional clue.

In truth, sometimes there's a duel. Sometimes there's just the gold on the table. And sometimes Carolina de la Playa has actually accepted bids in open negotiation, rather than make a spectacle. You wonder if the public auction is for your benefit or detriment. Or if it has nothing to do with you at all.

"But today, there will be a duel," Joaquin presses.

"Only if the crowd is very lucky," Caesar murmurs. "It is possible to handle these things in a civilized manner."

Joaquin's grin is wolfish, and you wonder how a newcomer to San Alfonso has already learned how to make a show of restraining violence. "I should certainly hope so," he says.

Even though you're already the proud captain of the Sea Queen, the auction will be worth watching — and might even provide additional business opportunities, if you decide to take them.

quote:

The crowd is most excited about the auction of the Bella Niña, in part because Anne Read is making a bid for it. Do you want to make a try for the Bella Niña?

1. No. I'll wait for the auction for the next ship.

2. Yes, I'll make a try and counter-bid against Anne.

3. I just want to find de la Playa and set sail.

Stats posted:

Ye

Yer Skills
Fame: 46%

Yer Reputation

Yer Resources
Fleet: 1

Yer Relationships
Joaquin de Aviles: 20%
Tinima Cambiante: 36%

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
3. Sooner we pay for our ship, the sooner we can get on with stealing these ones that are being sold.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Can we buy multiple ships and have a fleet? We have a fleet attribute so I assume so. In that case

2 - get stuck in the bidding though don't go too high I'm more interested in the 2nd auction.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for 2 - Get stuck in auction.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Can we buy multiple ships and have a fleet? We have a fleet attribute so I assume so. In that case

Yes, you can buy multiple ships (both now and at various later points in this game) and also capture other ships and rope them into your fleet.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I want to see her furious when we sail off with OUR SHIPS. 2. Yes, I'll make a try and counter-bid against Anne.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

This schooner, lovely as it is, starts at a whopping 400 doubloons, we have only ~670. Let's buy the cheaper ship and steal this one later.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
I'm skipping this vote because my decisions have been garbage. But I wonder if we should save our money; these games usually have "lucky charms" and other sweet magic items, right?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

I played a shitload of Sid Meier's Pirates!, and therefore I know the truth. And truth is brig supremacy.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im hoping to max out both our Ruthless and our Goodwill so we can be the kind of Captain that other pirates talk about with equal parts fear and admiration.

"What, Spack Jarrow? Well that's a pirate's pirate, right enough. Cares about the crew enough to set up the Pirates Widow & Orphan Foundation what feeds all the orphans and widows. Course that's cause Captain Jarrow takes no prisoners, and so's always making more."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
2 but only to bleed off money of Anne Read, so we can buy the other ships in peace.

• Locked thread