Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think the aversion to on-screen animal violence stuff is completely understandable - they're fundamentally innocent, after all. Especially with pet animals like dogs and cats.

Personally, an animal randomly dying doesn't bother me too much, but if it involves any prolonged suffering I'll get very uncomfortable. Probably the only reason I can get through the infamous dog kennel scene in The Thing is because the alien creature's threat is so fantastical (melting, bio-absoption stuff), it's still the most upsetting portion of that movie for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Finally got caught up with this. I don't have too much to add as far as the experience and style of the movie is concerned (except maybe question if they really thought simply putting a bit of a gut and a moustache on Colin Farrel was going to be enough to keep him from looking like Movie Star compared to the rest of the cast).

Honestly I don't even think the movie's necessarily about personal relationships specifically, I got that it was more generally about society's unwritten rules and assumptions and how easy it is to fall into petty tribalism and demanding ideological purity about the Right Way To Live. I think mixed-race/multi-ethnic folks, bisexuals, pretty much anyone that doesn't fit into a box will find a lot to relate to here.

I'm not sure what the whole animal transformation thing is meant to evoke other than being a colorful conceptual hook. I almost wonder if it's even real (of course I mean 'real' in-universe) or if it's all a hoax, but it doesn't even seem to matter. I feel like you could cut that out entirely and replace it with something like "you'll eventually get shipped off to a deserted island somewhere" and it wouldn't effect anything.

(Edited for better word choices)

lizardman fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 31, 2016

• Locked thread