Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

So my family moved into a house that has no internet service. No providers are willing to install internet cable on our street, even though the street right next to us is getting internet cable installed in the new houses being built there.

Instead I have to rely on satellite internet. Using the absolute best provider for satellite internet, I can watch youtube videos in 360p, sometimes in 480p, without any trouble. Anything in HD is out of the question. I cannot watch streams on twitch or hitbox, nor can I stream through those sites. Skype calls tend to work but can drop in quality or drop altogether at any time. Downloads larger than 200 megabytes can take over an hour. Right now, I am downloading a game that is 21 gigabytes. This download has been going for about 4 hours now and is currently at 9%. It is estimated to take another 17 hours.

I cannot move out of my parent's house at the moment because I am busy with medical school for the next 2-3 years and can't afford much, so I have no easy solutions. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to better my situation. Alternatively, if you too have experiences with poo poo internet, feel free to share so that I can find comfort in the pain of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

shameful to see the skeleton king being treated like a commoner

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm sorry, op, that sounds like it really sucks :(

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

If you're living with your parents still, you're just a Skeleton Prince

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Get a strong wifi antenna and ask the closest neighbor for the wifi password and split the bill with them

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

satanic splash-back posted:

If you're living with your parents still, you're just a Skeleton Prince

*checks skeleton constitution*

he's right

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
The Skeleton Dauphin

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
why dont you call the wah-mbulance

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
my parents have satelite becuase they live in the middle of a forest

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

q: what do the skeletons call the document that sets out the foundations of their laws?

a: the consti-BOO-tion

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

*embeds 5gig gif*

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
perhaps become a more grounded salt of the earth individual and eschew the many streams of endless digital mind candy

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

Enfield posted:

my parents have satelite becuase they live in the middle of a forest

yet another area where the nymphs are way ahead of the skeletons :rolleye:

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
request to rename OP "The Skeleton Ping"

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

q: what do the skeletons call the document that sets out the foundations of their laws?

a: the consti-BOO-tion

hehe this tickled my funny bone

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Have you considered DSL? Just don't go over your cap and you should be ok.

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot
Visit third world countries and gain perspective on what a spoiled baby you are.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
internet infrastructure in america is real bad

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Guys, the king title is just a formality. There are many skeleton kings all over the world. I am the only one in my region to have a valid claim to the local throne of bone.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

The Skeleton King posted:

So my family moved into a house that has no internet service. No providers are willing to install internet cable on our street, even though the street right next to us is getting internet cable installed in the new houses being built there.

Instead I have to rely on satellite internet. Using the absolute best provider for satellite internet, I can watch youtube videos in 360p, sometimes in 480p, without any trouble. Anything in HD is out of the question. I cannot watch streams on twitch or hitbox, nor can I stream through those sites. Skype calls tend to work but can drop in quality or drop altogether at any time. Downloads larger than 200 megabytes can take over an hour. Right now, I am downloading a game that is 21 gigabytes. This download has been going for about 4 hours now and is currently at 9%. It is estimated to take another 17 hours.

I cannot move out of my parent's house at the moment because I am busy with medical school for the next 2-3 years and can't afford much, so I have no easy solutions. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to better my situation. Alternatively, if you too have experiences with poo poo internet, feel free to share so that I can find comfort in the pain of others.

I'd say kill you are self, but I'm not sure that works with skeletons.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

We are all skeleton warriors on the inside trapped in meat sacks.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

OP can't watch twitch streams and torrent video games and he considers this to be detrimental to his life.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

noctambulous nebab posted:

Visit third world countries and gain perspective on what a spoiled baby you are.

I don't really understand your argument. ISIS has some decent internet. Not the best of course, but they can still stream executions live to most of the world.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

I've visited third world countries and been covered in other people's blood, yet I still get annoyed at slow internet

Perhaps having perspective does not make you totally immune to small irritations

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

Vengarr posted:

I've visited third world countries and been covered in other people's blood, yet I still get annoyed at slow internet

Perhaps having perspective does not make you totally immune to small irritations

I meant it more as general life advice or as a distraction.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

Vengarr posted:

better than being covered in your own blood tbh

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
loving low pingers! I feel ya OP. I can't even play Quake 2 anymore with my 28.8 modem with all of these fuckers on a T1 line.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

lol you live with your parents.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Digital Fingers posted:

OP can't watch twitch streams and torrent video games and he considers this to be detrimental to his life.

While in Med School, no less! How will he ever use up all that free time he's gonna have?

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

While in Med School, no less! How will he ever use up all that free time he's gonna have?

Probably just going to sit in a corner farting for the next 3 years.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Digital Fingers posted:

Being able to do things in my spare time without my slow internet loving it up is nice. I like to come home at the end of the day and watch something other than video buffering or an ongoing download that I started the previous day.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

im an archer

stump collector
May 28, 2007

i had satellite internet during my peak gaming years and wanted to die frequently. I am still depressed. good luck OP/

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
you can move in with me

i already have some skeletons living in the basement so youll fit right in

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

Being able to do things in my spare time without my slow internet loving it up is nice. I like to come home at the end of the day and watch something other than video buffering or an ongoing download that I started the previous day.

Yeah but moving out is your only viable option. Welcome to the economic serfdom of a college student.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

numberoneposter posted:

I'm the crotch laser skeleton from Castlevania.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

I like to come home at the end of the day and watch something other than video buffering or an ongoing download that I started the previous day.

This is what i'm saying you should do.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
tempted to post a huuuge gif

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Ehh, its a dental hygiene program. It takes up too much time for me to have meaningful income, but still leaves enough time to watch stupid poo poo on the internet at night or days where I don't need to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

Yeah but moving out is your only viable option. Welcome to the economic serfdom of a college student.

i paid my way thru school by catching large birds and selling them

• Locked thread