Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Thoughts on the Brand Split?
This poll is closed.
It's gonna fuckin suck 93 44.71%
It could be good 115 55.29%
Total: 208 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

"WWE.com posted:

A SmackDown shakeup is about to completely reshape all of WWE. Beginning July 19, the second longest-running weekly episodic program in television history, SmackDown, will move from Thursday to Tuesday nights and air LIVE each and every week — for the first time ever — at 8/7 C on USA Network, the exclusive cable home to WWE’s marquee properties.

This bold move will have major ramifications for all of WWE and exemplify the New Era, as both Raw and SmackDown will each feature their own unique rosters and rivalries following an imminent Superstar draft.

"WWE's flagship programs will both leverage the incredible depth of our talent roster, distinct storylines and the unpredictable nature of live TV," WWE Chairman Mr. McMahon said. “This move will undoubtedly build more excitement and deepen engagement with our fans around th­e world.”

so after about 5ish years of the brand split from 2002 being dissolved, it looks like we are gonna go back.

my thoughts: it might be good if it makes smackdown's show a lot more unique from raw, less rematches, and the show starting to matter a bit especially with exclusive matches. downside, raw at three hours with a gutted roster might make for a far more slogging show, and it might also be a situation where smackdown once again has a glass ceiling and probably having weaker house shows again. i don't think we are gonna see brand exclusive PPVS, and i don't think we're gonna see a second World Title. But it makes me wonder about what they're going to do with the other titles. This is major enough discussion to have its own thread i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I am cautiously optimistic, because I am dumb.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
It's gonna fuckin suck, but I see that as a good thing. I want one show to have nothing but the Dana Brookes and Tyler Breezes and it will be glorious.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Put Roman Reigns on Smackdown, or in the trash maybe.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Theyre going to split up New Day, the Social Outcasts, and any other pairings that we like and are good.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave saying 2 world champs, similar to the first split

I liked the 2 world champs aspect, nothing else. Congrats on minor world champ Styles I guess?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't care if this whole thing sucks as long as it's fun for the draft + whatever tournament or match there is for the new world title. god bless

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Chris James 2 posted:

Dave saying 2 world champs, similar to the first split

I liked the 2 world champs aspect, nothing else. Congrats on minor world champ Styles I guess?

God loving drat it.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
This is bad. This is very bad.

Draft shows are fun.

Everything else...very, very bad.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm only okay with a second world title if they put it on Dana Brooke

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

The Brand Split is a good idea but we also saw them not understand how to do it correctly for 10 years. I'd like to be optimistic but I'm not convinced they will last 2 months before they start putting people on the other show.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

HulkaMatt posted:

The Brand Split is a good idea but we also saw them not understand how to do it correctly for 10 years. I'd like to be optimistic but I'm not convinced they will last 2 months before they start putting people on the other show.

Dave and Bryan seemed pretty critical of it for exactly this reason. They're basically admitting it failed but thinking that because they have the entirety of the indy MVPs now they can go back to the well and it'll work this time? Bigger roster helping its case?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/themib/status/735540853888913408

I'm hoping they've already raided everyone they want and could get from NJPW at least

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cavauro posted:

i don't care if this whole thing sucks as long as it's fun for the draft + whatever tournament or match there is for the new world title. god bless

Same, I kinda like brand split storylines and all but I'm mainly just into hoping for a neat draft/gimmick shows it spawns since those can be really fun.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Thauros posted:

https://twitter.com/themib/status/735540853888913408

I'm hoping they've already raided everyone they want and could get from NJPW at least

Mexican and Japanese were the companies specified as being looked at most

So probably Okada if he isn't locked up. Also say goodbye to Rush :negative:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
At the end of the day the rosters they have won't matter unless the booking is good. We were shown they couldn't book a brand split for a decade. So I can't really imagine this will be any different.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

This will be how they ambush the New Day into a split without warning.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I mean the final dagger for TNA should finally come very soon, right

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

The end result of this is that WWE will control all the wrestling all over the world while all the indies are left to rot right

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Looking forward to the entirety of the Ingobernables to show up, but simply known as the Gobers or the Finn Balornables

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The_Rob posted:

At the end of the day the rosters they have won't matter unless the booking is good. We were shown they couldn't book a brand split for a decade. So I can't really imagine this will be any different.

smackdown was kinda good for a year.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

Mexican and Japanese were the companies specified as being looked at most

So probably Okada if he isn't locked up. Also say goodbye to Rush :negative:

Okada's almost certainly locked up and he's a guy they've made several attempts at before. He's the one guy I'm NOT worried about.

Rush tho....

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Thauros posted:

Okada's almost certainly locked up and he's a guy they've made several attempts at before. He's the one guy I'm NOT worried about.

Rush tho....

Yeah even Dave seemed pretty baffled how Rush could attend a tryout and not be signed. He'll lead the Finn Balornables for sure.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Skinty McEdger posted:

This will be how they ambush the New Day into a split without warning.

Didn't Kofi and Xavier already say they're just gonna retire when the New Day breaks up?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The way I'd like to see it:

Raw: Mainstays and some new guys, deserving long-time undercard finally getting a shot.
SD: Hybrid of midcard workhorses getting recognition, and new NXT call-ups.
NXT: Return to developmental format instead of a super-indie showcase.

Maybe the 2 World champs format could work again, but no double Tag/Womens this time. US on Raw, IC on SD. Frequent invasions/jumps between shows, enough to keep matches fresh, and consistent inter-show rivalries instead of practically ignoring the other exists.

Doing the exact same thing they used to would suck. So WWE being WWE it's probably going to be exactly that.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Brand split rules. 2 heavyweight champs do not rule.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

JOHN CENA posted:

smackdown was kinda good for a year.

Yeah but once people were liking it more than raw they formatted it so we would want to watch the A show.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hate literally all of this. But Ambrose will eventually be a champ now I guess!

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

There's already enough talent on the roster (with some more call ups) for this to work. I'm optimistic.
Should be better for the women too as more than just the wwe womens champ and contender get to do something.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I hate literally all of this. But Ambrose will eventually be a champ now I guess!

You did guarantee us that Ambrose would be World Champion!

Is this a proper time to use monkey's paw?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Please stop saying New Era :gonk:

I'm totally for it, though. RAW is very complacent television (though it's been on an upturn since WM) and it seems like they just expect the roster's in-ring depth and talent to bail them out of the big problems: the drain of a three hour show, the 50:50 booking, the wrong guy at the top, the lack of good promos etc.

The thing is - I don't care about the median midcard match being technically better if it means that it'll have at least one total dead-end of a character: a Dolph Ziggler, a Neville, an Apollo Crews, a Stardust, a League of Nations etc.

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 25, 2016

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Great White Hope posted:

You did guarantee us that Ambrose would be World Champion!

Is this a proper time to use monkey's paw?

One of the few times, yes, given that a brand split is a nightmare scenario for me.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Thauros posted:

Rush tho....

Oh god what if they get Cage too :suicide:

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene

sticklefifer posted:

The way I'd like to see it:

Raw: Mainstays and some new guys, deserving long-time undercard finally getting a shot.
SD: Hybrid of midcard workhorses getting recognition, and new NXT call-ups.
NXT: Return to developmental format instead of a super-indie showcase.

Maybe the 2 World champs format could work again, but no double Tag/Womens this time. US on Raw, IC on SD. Frequent invasions/jumps between shows, enough to keep matches fresh, and consistent inter-show rivalries instead of practically ignoring the other exists.

Doing the exact same thing they used to would suck. So WWE being WWE it's probably going to be exactly that.

I agree with all of this. Would prefer to have the IC belt on smackdown and the US belt on raw with all the other champions floating. I presume that we'll get none of what I want and instead we'll have Roman as champ on one brand and a clearly "lesser" champ on the other. Honestly the two world champions is the only thing I ever hated about the split.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

The monkey's paw is just a perpetual middle finger to us at this point.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I'm gonna like it, idk bout you

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

This is one answer to the question: "how do you have Cena and Reigns on the same show?"

I shall follow Cena to Smackdown.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

I mean the final dagger for TNA should finally come very soon, right

Yeah, TNA's hosed. A bright side from this

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I wasn't around for the first brand split, but if they routinely can't fill three hours of Raw I don't know how they're going to do five hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Two World champs is the dumbest way to go. Especially since they JUST merged the belts in an elaborate storyline a few years back (Orton/Cena, Bryan at Mania XXX, Brock winning the "new" merged belt; they made a point of it being THE DEFINITIVE SOLO WORLD BELT). It's pretty lovely to backpedal real hard on that and go "lolnope, two world champs again." Also, the WHC was pretty devalued by the end of its run last time (save for Cena getting it, albeit even that run felt weak), as were all of the secondary belts, so that will likely happen again and will suck.

• Locked thread