Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Thoughts on the Brand Split?
This poll is closed.
It's gonna fuckin suck 93 44.71%
It could be good 115 55.29%
Total: 208 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I like it because it's a change that could lead to good things, and it gives me a reason to pay attention to Smackdown. It will probably end in tears but until then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

do this imo

i would only miss the new day and charlotte/becky/sasha

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

even with people getting back from injuries the talent pool is so shallow if they have to fill three hours of raw every week with half their roster. like they have more talented guys than they've ever had maybe but they would run out of variety and fresh matchups immediately. they need to sign like 20 more tv-ready people at minimum

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

even with people getting back from injuries the talent pool is so shallow if they have to fill three hours of raw every week with half their roster. like they have more talented guys than they've ever had maybe but they would run out of variety and fresh matchups immediately. they need to sign like 20 more tv-ready people at minimum

That and the NXT touring thing are why they're going to raid the indies more. As is they've cut down around 40% of fresh matchups with this, and crippled the chance of NXT being a good tour brand when Finn and Nakamura are gone, both problems they have to address and quick

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

IcePhoenix posted:

Didn't Kofi and Xavier already say they're just gonna retire when the New Day breaks up?

Kofi mentioned retirement, I don't know if Xavier was going to retire or just quit WWE. Either way, I'm not sure if that will matter, since Big E is the one Vince really wants anyway.

A brand split, in theory, cuts New Day's TV appearances almost in half. I wonder if that'll affect their merch sales and poo poo to the point where Vince is just like "gently caress it, pull the trigger".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Fat Lowtax posted:

Please stop saying New Era :gonk:
No you see it hearkens back to the New Generation which worked so well.

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Two World champs is the dumbest way to go. Especially since they JUST merged the belts in an elaborate storyline a few years back (Orton/Cena, Bryan at Mania XXX, Brock winning the "new" merged belt; they made a point of it being THE DEFINITIVE SOLO WORLD BELT). It's pretty lovely to backpedal real hard on that and go "lolnope, two world champs again."

That was exactly what happened with the Undisputed title at the beginning of the first brand split. WWF acquired WCW, WWF/WCW titles merged, then Brock took the one belt to Smackdown and they reintroduced the Big Gold just after the WCW version had been absorbed. In less time than this, actually.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Fat Lowtax posted:

Please stop saying New Era :gonk:

Meet new Era, same as old Era.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Fenrir posted:

Kofi mentioned retirement, I don't know if Xavier was going to retire or just quit WWE. Either way, I'm not sure if that will matter, since Big E is the one Vince really wants anyway.

A brand split, in theory, cuts New Day's TV appearances almost in half. I wonder if that'll affect their merch sales and poo poo to the point where Vince is just like "gently caress it, pull the trigger".

I can't see Xavier quitting since he has UUDD.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
The brand split caused me to stop watching wrestling for a decade. So uh good job trips lol

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There's been sort of a thing lately where Big E thinks something they do is too silly or he doesn't quite play along with the antics of Kofi and Xavier, so I could reasonably see them putting Big E somewhere else and having New Day continue as a tag team instead of a trio, but it seems like Kofi probably wouldn't stand for it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
I doubt that. I think they are just running with a straight man goofy guy routine.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Release Big E back into the IC title picture and give him his name and 5 count back

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

They should commit to Smackdown being the 'B' show (in Vince's eyes) and have the Woman's title be their world title. Let them main event every week with the undercard being a smackdown-six style roster for the US title. Let Raw have the WWE, tag and IC titles.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh The New Day was the reason I started watching WWE again, so if they break them up I doubt I'll keep going

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Who gets corporate kane and who gets the demon kane

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Keg posted:

Theyre going to split up New Day, the Social Outcasts, and any other pairings that we like and are good.
Why is WWE so obsessed with splitting up tag teams? I mean it worked That One Time (Shawn Michaels) but 99.9% of the time you end up with two heatless midcarders. Entertaining teams are a big part of making the overall product enjoyable.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ditch posted:

Why is WWE so obsessed with splitting up tag teams? I mean it worked That One Time (Shawn Michaels)

That's why.

If they can make even one singles star, the team was a success.

The Shield was honestly probably their best team, with that in mind. Ironic considering how much they sabotaged it with attempts (and the inevitable success) at breaking them up at every turn, but it ended up with 3 money making draws that sold more individually than the group ever did

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

RIP American Alpha and The Revival.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Ditch posted:

Why is WWE so obsessed with splitting up tag teams? I mean it worked That One Time (Shawn Michaels)

This is where Vince stops reading.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

blunt posted:

They should commit to Smackdown being the 'B' show (in Vince's eyes) and have the Woman's title be their world title. Let them main event every week with the undercard being a smackdown-six style roster for the US title. Let Raw have the WWE, tag and IC titles.

Dang, I really like this idea.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Jannetty was supposed to have gotten a similar push if he didn't gently caress up so many times

Thanks Jannetty

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pros: They're gonna hire Maria and Mike Bennett
Cons: They're going to redo shot for shot the Karl loves Maria angle from New Japan.

Edit: Pros: This will include the Karl loves Maria video package that New Japan did where Karl had hearts in his eyes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
This seems like a really good thing to me. The downside of all the new guys getting pushed to fill the injury gaps is that as people are now coming back, the roster's getting overstuffed, and those issues can only get worse; who can Randy Orton or Bray Wyatt feud with when they come back? Whose segments get pushed off TV to make room for them? We already didn't see Rusev at all last week, and he has a belt.

This gives everybody breathing room, going live removes the spoilers so people actually need to watch and will (hopefully) remove the B-show taint, and it reduces everybody's workrates since they'll either have Monday or Tuesday off, which ought to help end the injury plague.

And hey, if we're really really lucky, they might do two women's feuds at once. We might even get more than one match a week! :eek:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

This seems like a really good thing to me. The downside of all the new guys getting pushed to fill the injury gaps is that as people are now coming back, the roster's getting overstuffed, and those issues can only get worse; who can Randy Orton or Bray Wyatt feud with when they come back? Whose segments get pushed off TV to make room for them? We already didn't see Rusev at all last week, and he has a belt.

This gives everybody breathing room, going live removes the spoilers so people actually need to watch and will (hopefully) remove the B-show taint, and it reduces everybody's workrates since they'll either have Monday or Tuesday off, which ought to help end the injury plague.

And hey, if we're really really lucky, they might do two women's feuds at once. We might even get more than one match a week! :eek:

The problem is that this won't stop the lovely booking and scheduling. Even with the size of the current roster, they still can't fill a 3-hour Raw with worthwhile poo poo. Now they're going to cut that roster nearly in half? This probably just means more McMahon bullshit, more Roman Reigns, etc. etc.

Personally I think the best to hope for is that the current IC/MITB contender stable moves to Smackdown (Cesaro/Owens/Zayn/Miz/etc... maybe Ambrose since he's never getting the big belt anyway)

e: VVV true. Well, about Roman anyway. And Cena's probably going to trade the new SD belt back and forth with someone a couple times to beat Flair's record without having to beat Roman... maybe Ambrose and KO will get a run or two in.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 25, 2016

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

yeah buy at least now there is a place to avoid the mcmahon and roman stuff

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

yeah buy at least now there is a place to avoid the mcmahon and roman stuff

In favor of Cena

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Chris James 2 posted:

In favor of Cena

gently caress it, I'd take Cena over Roman any day.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

cena is good and roman is bad

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

let's go cena

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I support this with the crazy influx of new talent. And the fact that Smackdown spoilers haven't been interesting to read since 2001. I've been worried about what Rollins/Orton/Cena was gonna do to guys who picked up momentum like Kevin Owens and AJ Styles. Then, you have guys like Samoa Joe, Finn, and Nakamura that will need spots on the main roster as well. But, we'll get cool stuff like Bobby Roode and outside signings to fill spots as well.

Basically, we're about to see 2 super rosters full of WWE, TNA, Japan, and Indy talent on the WWE level. Instead of cramming all of those guys into 3 hours, they have 6 hours to give opportunity for all the guys to have time. That sounds pretty cool to me.

When they did this in 2002, they had a lot of talent, but not quite as much as now. Back when guys like Rene Dupree and Kenzo Suzuki were getting TV time. Work rate in the WWE has gone up so many levels since then.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd....probably means the return of the Big Gold :dance:

89 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 25, 2016

elkaline
Mar 2, 2011
Any chance of them dropping Raw to 2 hours, with the excuse of whichever McMahon gets Smackdown complaining about an unfair advantage?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

elkaline posted:

Any chance of them dropping Raw to 2 hours, with the excuse of whichever McMahon gets Smackdown complaining about an unfair advantage?

There is zero chance of USA letting that happen until the next contract renewal.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Vertical Lime posted:

let's go cena

cenaroman sucks

And the SD title will just be another logo belt come on guys

elkaline
Mar 2, 2011

Charles Gnarwin posted:

There is zero chance of USA letting that happen until the next contract renewal.

Those third hour ratings are never great though, they could fill it with pre-taped content instead i.e. NXT replays or other backlogged network stuff.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Chris James 2 posted:

In favor of Cena
John Cena is both Cool and Good

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
I always thought two belts kind of devalued their meaning. It's also a big part of the reason why you had former WHC Jack Swagger and ADR as heatless world champ for literally months. I just like the concept that the top is the top, there should be some tension about who is deserving and meta-arguments like that, it adds to the prestige. That I'm not a big fan of the current champ doesn't really change this in my eyes - and while I can acknowledge that someone like Bryan may not have touched the top without passing through, but my general feeling is "bleh".

I don't really mind the brand split too much but I really wish they would have one belt. Maybe they can engineer a situation where one belt is the obviously superior one? I feel like it went back and forth in the old split.

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually

elkaline posted:

Wasnt there some announcement a few weeks back that Raw would have a 2 hour replay on fridays?

EDIT:my bad it was 5 days ago it was announced, and it airs on syfy http://www.pwmania.com/syfy-airing-a-wwe-raw-replay-on-fridays-new-episode-from-tyler-breeze-the-new-day

elkaline
Mar 2, 2011

Brokenogre posted:

Wasnt there some announcement a few weeks back that Raw would have a 2 hour replay on fridays?

EDIT:my bad it was 5 days ago it was announced, and it airs on syfy http://www.pwmania.com/syfy-airing-a-wwe-raw-replay-on-fridays-new-episode-from-tyler-breeze-the-new-day

Just a broadcast of the chopped down Hulu version I think, but could be setting a precedent.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i'm in favor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

They should honestly just keep Raw as is and make NXT 2 hours and call it Smackdown. Maybe put a couple dudes like Neville and Breeze back on the NXT roster.

• Locked thread