Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
yea fly that bitch in a storm and mayble you'll get AMPED UP to do something w/ your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010
Basic Living Economics: Pretax wage per year at 8 dollars an hour 40 hours a week is 16,640 a year. Cost to rent or buy a house on a 15-20 year mortgage is around 5-800 dollars depending on location. Renting is lovely, but assuming a 500 dollar a month mortgage payment you are still above the 30% income safety net advised by the Bureau of Labor for income towards housing. This also assumes you can buy a house for under 200k in your desired area. Now if you use Post tax numbers, it is literally impossible to eat and pay rent unless you are eating ramen or something equally cheap.

Per Year
Pretax Wage: 16,640
Post Tax wage at 38% rate*: 10,316.8
Cost of Rent/Mortgage: 6,000 and 9,600 respectively.

Basically, even if you can get a job, living on your own is lovely.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Worlds Smuggest posted:

Basic Living Economics: Pretax wage per year at 8 dollars an hour 40 hours a week is 16,640 a year. Cost to rent or buy a house on a 15-20 year mortgage is around 5-800 dollars depending on location. Renting is lovely, but assuming a 500 dollar a month mortgage payment you are still above the 30% income safety net advised by the Bureau of Labor for income towards housing. This also assumes you can buy a house for under 200k in your desired area. Now if you use Post tax numbers, it is literally impossible to eat and pay rent unless you are eating ramen or something equally cheap.

Per Year
Pretax Wage: 16,640
Post Tax wage at 38% rate*: 10,316.8
Cost of Rent/Mortgage: 6,000 and 9,600 respectively.

Basically, even if you can get a job, living on your own is lovely.

wait.

Are you saying that if you make, pre-tax, 16k a year, you are paying 38% tax?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/goodbye-empty-nest-millennials-staying-140038879.html

LOL, good job everyone.

edit: saving money is a wise choice, no hate here

people around the god drat world invest in american real estate and this is pretty inevitable.

you have realtors literally just using wechat to do a video tour of a home and selling it same afternoon with scans of pdf THROUGH WECHAT. thats how expedited the process has become.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 26, 2016

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

wait.

With Social security etc as a single filer in California, yes. That's at least the last estimate of income you don't get in your bank account until you file for refund.

e: According to this: https://smartasset.com/taxes/income-taxes#HSMwyMKoGo it's only about 4-5k a year, but that's only 1-2 thousand dollars difference.

Remember we're also talking about 40 hours a week employment. No one I know is working more than 29 because of ACA.

Worlds Smuggest fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 26, 2016

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

VendaGoat posted:

wait.

Lmao. Is this a surprise to you? 40% is nearly the lowest tax you pay, if you live in a democrat state you also pay city and municpiality (fancier word for bigger city) taxes

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't live with my parents, but my landlords live in the house so I live with other people's parents.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

gently caress the ROW posted:

Lmao. Is this a surprise to you? 40% is nearly the lowest tax you pay, if you live in a democrat state you also pay city and municpiality (fancier word for bigger city) taxes

Unless you are part of the American oligarchy which means you pay anywhere between 0%-13% while making orders of magnitude more than the average American wage of about $30k/yr USD.

What a country!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Alright fuckos, move the gently caress out.

You want me to combat your ideological rationale of living in a state that destroys your cost of living? Move the gently caress away.

Find a place that has a cost of living that is workable. Guess what, many people are doing it right now.

25%fed, 6% state 1% local. Minus deductions for being a single filer, or deductions for owning a piece of property or for having children and so on and so loving forth.

Hey kids, We can't all be living in a high rise apartment in San fran or New York.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
BTW move the gently caress away is what a lot of American businesses are trying to do right now, through inversions, due to the high tax rate of the US.

Oh god, I feel dirty bringing this up, in this light.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hell yes I'm beating the curve. gently caress all you other millenials

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

Alright fuckos, move the gently caress out.

You want me to combat your ideological rationale of living in a state that destroys your cost of living? Move the gently caress away.

Find a place that has a cost of living that is workable. Guess what, many people are doing it right now.

25%fed, 6% state 1% local. Minus deductions for being a single filer, or deductions for owning a piece of property or for having children and so on and so loving forth.

Hey kids, We can't all be living in a high rise apartment in San fran or New York.

No jobs elsewhere that will take you and huge financial risk to go out of home state where you have no safety net if you can't get something or do not like what is available.

HA San Fran and New York? try finding something to rent for under 800 bucks at all there because of HUD. Not even Studios are that cheap, dorms maybe, but nothing like what you are talking about.

Unless you want to live next to a nuclear plant in new jersey and spend any money you would save on housing/CoL on heating instead.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

VendaGoat posted:

BTW move the gently caress away is what a lot of American businesses are trying to do right now, through inversions, due to the high tax rate of the US.

i actually work for a delware company now and they pay real good :smugdog:

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

VendaGoat posted:

I'm trying to but even with an accomplished engineering career expatriating to another country is a goddamned nightmare. I'm about at the point of just getting a one-way ticket to Exarcheia in Athens with my meager belongings in a hobo bundle on the end of a stick.

Robot Pride fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 26, 2016

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
the US has the highest corporate tax rate in the world so you can remmeber to thank the democrats when u complain that you have to work at a multinational lmao :D

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Worlds Smuggest posted:

No jobs elsewhere that will take you and huge financial risk to go out of home state where you have no safety net if you can't get something or do not like what is available.

HA San Fran and New York? try finding something to rent for under 800 bucks at all there because of HUD. Not even Studios are that cheap, dorms maybe, but nothing like what you are talking about.

Unless you want to live next to a nuclear plant in new jersey and spend any money you would save on housing/CoL on heating instead.

First sentence.

There are jobs, they suck poo poo through a loving crazy straw, but better then you have taken worse jobs, to make ends meet. gently caress you.

Second sentence: lower your loving standards and look elsewhere. I've had friends live in shithole ghettos raising three kids to make ends meet. You can do the same as them.

Third sentence. Understand that you, me, and everyone else, is trying to do the best there is that they can do for themselves. You're born alone, you live alone and motherfucker, you're gonna die alone. How do you want your life to be in the mean time? Sure it sucks. You may have to eat loving beans, rice and hotdogs, like a person I've talked to directly on these forums who took a job at a liquor store. But, at the end of the day you earned it. And as time goes on, if you are willing to take on more responsibility and the like, you can demand more money and improve your......

gently caress you, Pay me.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
can u even imagine living without a "safety net"... must be drat triggering

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

gently caress you, Pay me.

ftfy pay me instead.

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.
so having a roommate or bunking with a significant other for a spell until your financial situation improves is now uncool?

i guess being a social justice yelp food blogger full time with a liberal arts degree in pet psychology doesn't pay like it used to!

stump collector
May 28, 2007
calvin got a job

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

VendaGoat posted:

And as time goes on, if you are willing to take on more responsibility and the like, you can demand more money and improve your......

lmao

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

exethan posted:

calvin got a job

nigga you smell like french fries

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/czvwdf/chappelle-s-show-wacarnold-s---uncensored

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Or you can change jobs and use your experience as leverage in your new line of work.

As a Gorilla, I expect you to understand.....You're a goon.

:laffo:

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
you actually have to put work in to improve your situation, and this is what completely befuddles the typical millenial. hell they're still on their drat phones by the time i type this

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010

Ben Murphy posted:

so having a roommate or bunking with a significant other for a spell until your financial situation improves is now uncool?

i guess being a social justice yelp food blogger full time with a liberal arts degree in pet psychology doesn't pay like it used to!

Exactly, no one wants to live with their age group. I actually plan on living with my three friends once we all have the cash to put down to build a home. We own the land for it all ready and are going to draw up a Trust fund document for the property so we can't screw each other out of house and home. The problem is of course, money, and none of us want to get a mortgage since we don't like being in debt.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Worlds Smuggest posted:

Exactly, no one wants to live with their age group. I actually plan on living with my three friends once we all have the cash to put down to build a home. We own the land for it all ready and are going to draw up a Trust fund document for the property so we can't screw each other out of house and home. The problem is of course, money, and none of us want to get a mortgage since we don't like being in debt.

This is one of those thigns where you say "wow what a good plan but a horrible idea"

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Yeah there is no way that your strange frat house land owning partnership is going to blow up in your face.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My in laws immigrated to the US , had four kids, saved and bought a house while their four daughters had to all share a single bedroom and in laws literally slept on a sofa bed when they each weren't working two jobs. They rented out the other bedroom to a cousin and his wife who were also in the process of getting on their feet. But it paid off big time in the long run.

Hard to take some Millennials too seriously about "it's too expensive to buy a house and start a family" when I know a couple who barely knew any English, had four kids managed to pull it off.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Blacktoll posted:

Yeah there is no way that your strange frat house land owning partnership is going to blow up in your face.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
I suppose the main this thread is teaching me goons are bad at money.

*lives pretty comfortably*
*near Los Angeles*

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Panfilo posted:

My in laws immigrated to the US , had four kids, saved and bought a house while their four daughters had to all share a single bedroom and in laws literally slept on a sofa bed when they each weren't working two jobs. They rented out the other bedroom to a cousin and his wife who were also in the process of getting on their feet. But it paid off big time in the long run.

Hard to take some Millennials too seriously about "it's too expensive to buy a house and start a family" when I know a couple who barely knew any English, had four kids managed to pull it off.

TBH, back in the post war days of this country you could have a job pushing a broom in the local factory and earn enough to have a house, nice car, stay at home wife and three kids with college funds. Since then wages have frozen and expenses soared.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

That's not even remotely true.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Uhh pre war years you could twist off parking meters like cool hand luke and bring that change TO A BANK and that'd be enough for six college trust funds and a nice car, wife and kids.

-A 22 year old goon.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Blacktoll posted:

That's not even remotely true.

This

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Blacktoll posted:

I've actually heard of single moms banding together to co own a home and it's mutually beneficial- they all live in a place they couldn't afford individually, one mom can babysit everybody's kids, etc.

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.

Panfilo posted:

Apparently if you can't live in a high rise condo in the heart of San Fran or NYC on a $10/hour job, then just too darn hard and completely beneath you to try literally anything else. It's much more noble to stay home with mommy and blog about how the man is keeping you down.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Panfilo posted:

I've actually heard of single moms banding together to co own a home and it's mutually beneficial- they all live in a place they couldn't afford individually, one mom can babysit everybody's kids, etc.

Is this something you've heard of or is it something that you've made up

Let's be honest here

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Robot Pride posted:

TBH, back in the post war days of this country you could have a job pushing a broom in the local factory and earn enough to have a house, nice car, stay at home wife and three kids with college funds. Since then wages have frozen and expenses soared.

My in laws were too brown and immigrant to be put in the baby boomer category. I don't know any Millennials in urban areas that are taking buses hours away to go pick tomatoes or grapes or clean suburban moms' toilets. And they came to the US right smack during the recession of the eighties so those magical factory jobs weren't easy to come by for them either.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
It's probably like 65% for goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Panfilo posted:

My in laws were too brown and immigrant to be put in the baby boomer category. I don't know any Millennials in urban areas that are taking buses hours away to go pick tomatoes or grapes or clean suburban moms' toilets. And they came to the US right smack during the recession of the eighties so those magical factory jobs weren't easy to come by for them either.
with this anecdote, you have brought down the entire millennial conspiracy

• Locked thread