Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Like think about it guys the guy who makes bread NEEDS flour so why doesn't the uhhh *rips a huge bong hit* flour maker give it to him and he gets bread from the baker.

It's like beneficial. Or so I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Panfilo posted:

My in laws were too brown and immigrant to be put in the baby boomer category. I don't know any Millennials in urban areas that are taking buses hours away to go pick tomatoes or grapes or clean suburban moms' toilets. And they came to the US right smack during the recession of the eighties so those magical factory jobs weren't easy to come by for them either.

No one was making enough to buy a drat house pushing a broom, "brown and immigrant" (your words) or not. at any point

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

gently caress the ROW posted:

the US has the highest corporate tax rate in the world so you can remmeber to thank the democrats when u complain that you have to work at a multinational lmao :D

corporations are really smart they left tax rates alone and just allow truck sized loopholes to exist where they can basically pay no taxes on anything so even though their tax rate is 40% their effective tax rate is like loving 5%

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010

This is one of those thigns where you say "wow what a good plan but a horrible idea"

Blacktoll posted:

Yeah there is no way that your strange frat house land owning partnership is going to blow up in your face.

It is certainly not normal by any standard, but we've been working out the details of the concept since we were in high-school. The biggest test of friendship can be seen when you try to live together with people on a regular basis, we're doing a run of living in a less dedicated format in a rental in bullhead possibly before we commit to the idea fully.

If it works, hooray, if not we figure out our own poo poo some other way.

We got the land for under 5k back during the housing collapse so it's not a bfd now that we could resale for 20k pretty easily.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Worlds Smuggest posted:

It is certainly not normal by any standard, but we've been working out the details of the concept since we were in high-school. The biggest test of friendship can be seen when you try to live together with people on a regular basis, we're doing a run of living in a less dedicated format in a rental in bullhead possibly before we commit to the idea fully.

We got the land for under 5k back during the housing collapse so it's not a bfd now that we could resale for 20k pretty easily.

I'm not being discouraging at all but of course if it doesn't work, you won't just "figure our own poo poo some other way" you will be involved a lawsuit(s). Hopefully though, it was a good plan. I would never do this. Sole ownership of your own property should always be the goal (something millenials never understand because of free apps)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

You make life sound like the gayest possible coming of age tale. Which it very may well be for you.

The housing partnership trust is a loving garbage idea. Get the house and then flip if you have to get a house with your ten friends.

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010
Certainly after a few years we would expand outward, essentially buying up more properties around us and build individual homes if we want, but that isn't going to happen in a short time period unless we're really making a lot more money.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

No one was making enough to buy a drat house pushing a broom, "brown and immigrant" (your words) or not. at any point

My in laws did it. It wasn't "so easy a caveman could do it" by any stretch. I really feel like it boils down to priorities. They sacrificed a great deal to give their kids a stable home. But that was because they made home ownership a priority. My sister in law, close to the Millennial age range, made the same priority and had a house when most people her age were too busy taking pictures of food with their DSLRs.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Worlds Smuggest posted:

Certainly after a few years we would expand outward, essentially buying up more properties around us and build individual homes if we want, but that isn't going to happen in a short time period unless we're really making a lot more money.

This is why my generation is stuck at home.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Worlds Smuggest posted:

lol. holy gently caress you are naive. try living with them and actually try splitting stuff up for just a single year. My roommmate and I just moved out to separate places and he wants to "figure out how to split" a $100 item we bought for the house upon move in and went 50/50 for, despite the fact that i literally furnished the entire house (couch, dining table, tv, vacuum cleaner, kitchen poo poo, etc, which he spent countless hours on and in front of), never charged him a dime for any of it, then when we moved out i obviously had to spend money on a mover to move all my poo poo to a new place.

he makes twice as much money as me too, well into six figures :eyepop: this guy has been a good friend for like ten years too, basically never underestimate how utterly petty people can be when it comes to small matters of money, let alone huge ones.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 26, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

"Dude like we should ALL buy one house that'll divide rent by like everyone involved and when we make more money we just buy more land and like help each other build individual houses. "

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
As soon as people, in the USA, understand that everyone is out there for "themselves", the quicker they will learn to integrate into our society.

As loving horrible as that sentence is, it's the harsh, horrible reality.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Worlds Smuggest posted:

Cultivate ant colonies. A supercolony's pheremones will reach the critical mass required to establish order amongst dudebros and enforce the chore wheel.

TLDR Ant problem.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Panfilo posted:

My in laws did it. It wasn't "so easy a caveman could do it" by any stretch. I really feel like it boils down to priorities. They sacrificed a great deal to give their kids a stable home. But that was because they made home ownership a priority. My sister in law, close to the Millennial age range, made the same priority and had a house when most people her age were too busy taking pictures of food with their DSLRs.

right but not one single one of them did it, did they? And of course its priorities. something millenials do not understand (thanks to the "free to play apps" mainly IMO)

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
this is a brutal truth but it takes 10 years of good work to be able to afford a home so before that maybe you should focus more on being good instead of sucking & buying the latest phone

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

gently caress you mom, terrence, hunter, clay and me, we're all gonna buy land and a house together.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Blacktoll posted:

Is this something you've heard of or is it something that you've made up

Let's be honest here

http://coabodeblog.org/

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010

Blacktoll posted:

This is why my generation is stuck at home.

coolskillrex remix posted:

lol. holy gently caress you are naive. try living with them and actually try splitting stuff up for just a single year. My roommmate and I just moved out to separate places and he wants to "figure out how to split" a $100 item we bought for the house upon move in and went 50/50 for, despite the fact that i literally furnished the entire house (couch, dining table, tv, vacuum cleaner, kitchen poo poo, etc), never charged him a dime for any of it, then when we moved out i obviously had to spend money on a mover to move all my poo poo to a new place.

he makes twice as much money as me too, well into six figures :eyepop: this guy has been a good friend for like ten years too, basically never underestimate how utterly petty people can be when it comes to small matters of money, let alone huge ones.

My friends are fortunately not as lovely about common property, and we've more or less decided on the trust specifically to divide cost of living in an automatic way by having it held in a communal trust, which is essentially a third party we have a percentage share of like a corporation. It lets us buy things with trust funding instead of having to hash out every purchase on the legal sharing of the property.

I do well understand that it may not work out, but for the most part I trust my friends, we've been through a lot and I see no reason for strife between us.

I would love to own my own house and be on my own, but I just don't see a fiscally responsible way to do so and maintain my personal interests, even if I did get 2 lovely jobs to pay for it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Your frat home partnership smacks of smart, fiscal decision-making.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Worlds Smuggest posted:

I would love to own my own house and be on my own, but I just don't see a fiscally responsible way to do so and maintain my personal interests, even if I did get 2 lovely jobs to pay for it.

Honest question. What's your age?

stfuDonny
Jun 20, 2005

Inconceivable.
Fun Shoe

pricklypie posted:

When you're old I wonder if everyday feels like a Monday or if it feels more like a Friday.

Probably more like a Wednesday.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I find it more shocking that 1 in 5 of those 25 to 34 live with their parents.

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

Honest question. What's your age?

I'll be 26 this year, I spent every year after highschool at community college to save my parents money since they insisted I be college educated, I didn't want to join the military since it royally hosed the life of my best friend and they don't get much from the government but it is paying his way through HVAC certification school. I was initially going to be a psychology student, but instead I decided to go for a business admin degree since I figured the only way I would make a living in psych is going for a MD or PHd in a long winded 12 year process that I wasn't interested in making my parents pay for. In the meantime I've been day trading on the market since I was 16 with a base capital of 1,000 dollars I saved selling soda and candy from a backpack in school during the big sugar ban they had for a while.

I made a good coup from Disney shares, then another at the Citi Group being 3 bucks a share, but the market has been pretty stable so I've sat on my funds for a while looking for something better to invest in with a good return. currently looking at the RFID chip market, it promises good things.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Worlds Smuggest posted:

I'll be 26 this year,

This is the only part I care about or have any interest in believing.

30-35, if my guess is correct, is the mean age for owning (lol the bank owning) a single family home.

Get back to me in 4 to 9 years.

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 26, 2016

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I'll probably be home by the end of the year if I can't find a full time job soon.

:smithicide:

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
statistics like this make me feel like more of a success than I have the right to, thanks obama

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
perhaps instead of negativity we should view this return to the pre industrial traditional family model as a net gain over the crushing brutal and alienating effects of capitalism? love and support one another imo

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Blacktoll posted:

Uhh pre war years you could twist off parking meters like cool hand luke and bring that change TO A BANK and that'd be enough for six college trust funds and a nice car, wife and kids.

-A 22 year old goon.

That's true though, I saw it on American Dad

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i originally read this thread for humor and now it's just giving me a reality check :tinfoil:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Can I officially disagree with the age range represented by the term millennial?

It really feels as though it's a lazy catchall in the current form, the older crowd among us experienced a vastly different world growing up than the younger, by leaps and bounds, really.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Worlds Smuggest posted:

My friends are fortunately not as lovely about common property, and we've more or less decided on the trust specifically to divide cost of living in an automatic way by having it held in a communal trust, which is essentially a third party we have a percentage share of like a corporation. It lets us buy things with trust funding instead of having to hash out every purchase on the legal sharing of the property.

I do well understand that it may not work out, but for the most part I trust my friends, we've been through a lot and I see no reason for strife between us.

This is so close to someone explaining how polygamy is actually a really good deal for all parties involved, and the only reason it doesn't work out for everyone is because everyone isn't just like me.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm living with mommy, can confirm. I'm working full time though and going back to college in the fall so it'll probably be awhile before I move out. 22 years old fyi

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Sounds like a smart choice by millennials, if I didn't have to pay bills and buy food I could just save for 5 years to buy a house with no worries about mortgage.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Can I officially disagree with the age range represented by the term millennial?

this, can we be, like, in-between generation that hates millenials

i refuse to be lumped into the same generation that produced TWO WHOLE CAKES: how to be a fat piece of poo poo drain on society and sell a book about it

Pyromancer posted:

Sounds like a smart choice by millennials, if I didn't have to pay bills and buy food I could just save for 5 years to buy a house with no worries about mortgage.

lol "save"

if you live in the wrong place you'll "save" like five bucks a day if you have no living expenses

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

house prices are insanely high in the uk you have to wait until family dies and you can sell their house before you can buy your own

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The scary part about this generation having to rely on the older generation's wealth and good fortune because of crippling school debt, the hollowing out of well paying secure middle class jobs, and explosive housing cost rises, is that the generation after them is going to have much less of a familial cushion to fall back on. There is going to be a huge slide into poverty for a large portion of the country, and there doesn't seem to be anything anyone can do about it so they just get angry and vote Trump or Bernie I guess.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

The scary part about this generation having to rely on the older generation's wealth and good fortune because of crippling school debt, the hollowing out of well paying secure middle class jobs, and explosive housing cost rises, is that the generation after them is going to have much less of a familial cushion to fall back on. There is going to be a huge slide into poverty for a large portion of the country, and there doesn't seem to be anything anyone can do about it so they just get angry and vote Trump or Bernie I guess.

Let's not have any illusions. The generation after us is going to live in the post apocalyptic wastelands following the collapse of the global economy and climate.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It really feels as though it's a lazy catchall in the current form, the older crowd among us experienced a vastly different world growing up than the younger, by leaps and bounds, really.

Uh hi I'm 78 and I am a millennial and live at home with my mommy who is a skeleton

xjohnson
Sep 7, 2006
Johnson?
Young Orc
where would i plug my Xbox One into you loving idiot op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xjohnson
Sep 7, 2006
Johnson?
Young Orc
still waiting on the perfect job to come by