Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That70sShirt
Nov 13, 2015

A non-luxury, standard studio apartment 20 miles from SF can cost upwards of $1700/month. It's batshit.

It's all good though. My gf and I managed to find an apartment in the middle of nowhere for only $1400/month. Town has one gas station that's only open during regular business hours but hey, who needs gas on the weekend anyway?

EDIT: Holy poo poo! It's been I while since I last checked. Apparently studios can go for more than $2000 these days.

That70sShirt fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 26, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Pvt.Scott posted:

Is everyone in this thread some crusty 50-year-old?

People younger than you have less accumulated knowledge and experience than you, an old gently caress whining on this dead gay forum, leading them to act out seemingly foolhardy or annoying behaviors from your current perspective. Your actions at a Millenial's age (currently 5-35, 30 years for a generation, right?) likely looked just as bad to the trailblazing olds before you.

If you're not over 35, you're complaining about yourself, HTH.

I think a lot of people will figure this poo poo out for themselves over the years. A part of me wonders if maybe a lot of the stuff people make fun of Millenials for is just inexperience and real life hitting them like a brick wall. A significant chunk of them will cast aside whatever naïve sense of entitlement they had and find some way to make it work in this economy.

I'm surprised some Millenial hasn't made some kind of 'Oregon Trail' game to make Boomers play to show the challenges involved and challenge them to bootstrap their way to victory.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Slippery Tilde

That70sShirt posted:

A non-luxury, standard studio apartment 20 miles from SF can cost upwards of $1700/month. It's batshit.

It's all good though. My gf and I managed to find an apartment in the middle of nowhere for only $1400/month. Town has one gas station that's only open during regular business hours but hey, who needs gas on the weekend anyway?

EDIT: Holy poo poo! It's been I while since I last checked. Apparently studios can go for more than $2000 these days.

we pay $3000 for a 1BR 1BA an hour from SF (not palo alto) and that's the subsidized price by stanford - if it were on the market it would be about double that since it's new construction

this subsidized complex also has porsches in the parking structure since leasing preference was given to senior faculty first

bay area housing is completely insane

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

That70sShirt posted:

I've seen these ridiculous prices in the Bay Area as well, and I gotta wonder...

If someone can genuinely afford a $2,000/month apartment, why not buy a house? What market is there for people willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money on rent and not towards a mortgage? Interest rates are still very low right now.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Panfilo posted:

I've seen these ridiculous prices in the Bay Area as well, and I gotta wonder...

If someone can genuinely afford a $2,000/month apartment, why not buy a house? What market is there for people willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money on rent and not towards a mortgage? Interest rates are still very low right now.

the most common listing for a single family house here in the burbs is at the asking price of $1.2 - $1.4mil (which is commonly exceeded by cash buyers)

i've been advised that there's significantly less competition at listings around $2mil - $2.2mil

stanford has also had to start offering 0% interest home loans to faculty in order to attract/retain staff

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Because at that point they can own / pay for both. It depends on your career really. If / when I get a promotion on my upcoming review -- I should expect a 30k increase in salary and that's not considering the yearly bonus. Mind you, I only have a bachelor's I'm English from a city college.

So it's like, wow, work hard and apply yourself. Take risks and don't get stuck at a lovely place because it's safe.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

bongwizzard posted:

I guess so but that sounds lame as gently caress to me. Everyone needs a period of poverty, squalor, and 8am bong-rips in their life imho.

If you have never pissed in the cat's litter box because your roommates have the only bathroom tied up for hours loving in the shower, then I don't know how you would get on in life.

when does the temptation to return to this lifestyle go away because i'm living in the upper crust but it's real boring up here. i could cash out right now and secure myself 5-7 years of this life easy peazy

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Panfilo posted:

A house is a liability in a business climate where long term job security is very rare. If your job goes away then your skills might let you get a job elsewhere but the house won't.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Blacktoll posted:

So it's like, wow, work hard and apply yourself. Take risks and don't get stuck at a lovely place because it's safe.

It's like wow, taking a risk does not always result in success by definition of the word 'risk.'

Why can't everyone just defeat statistics? :iiam:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Yeah dude you're right that guy with a CS degree should keep milking that 10 dollar an hour teat.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Chomp8645 posted:

A house is a liability in a business climate where long term job security is very rare. If your job goes away then your skills might let you get a job elsewhere but the house won't.

Sell/rent it out and move somewhere else? Not like houses around Stanford are gonna get any cheaper...

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Really the fantasy that anyone can be rich if they work hard enough is what is killing us. Society is a pyramid because we need the bottom rung, too. With no cooks, janitors, mechanics, etc. who the hell is going to make this all function right?

Why not make the bottom rung not soul crushingly lovely so at least those people can live dignified lives where they don't have to scrabble between two jobs working 80 hours a week and living paycheck to paycheck? It is very easy to say 'well they can improve their lot' but this totally ignores the pyramid. There simply are not enough slots for everyone at the top.

And instead of 'well I did it' use the veil of ignorance.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Panfilo posted:

Sell/rent it out and move somewhere else? Not like houses around Stanford are gonna get any cheaper...

I don't know anything about the Stanford area, I'm just making a general statement about why people are wary of houses even if they can afford them. Houses are a tether in a job market that often demands mobility.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Panfilo posted:

Selling a house is a fairly long process and 'affording' a $2k/mo rent does not mean you are not living paycheck to paycheck still (which btw means you might not qualify for a mortgage even though your monthly expenses would remain the same - you're still risky).

So... if you lose your job and you haven't the savings to pay your mortgage for very long then what? Just somehow make it until the house clears escrow?

Also you're pretending like the houses are even available. The apartments around me are $2k/mo. If you can find a house to buy in the area for $2k/mo, you're lucky as hell.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Roylicious posted:

Really the fantasy that anyone can be rich if they work hard enough is what is killing us. Society is a pyramid because we need the bottom rung, too. With no cooks, janitors, mechanics, etc. who the hell is going to make this all function right?

Why not make the bottom rung not soul crushingly lovely so at least those people can live dignified lives where they don't have to scrabble between two jobs working 80 hours a week and living paycheck to paycheck? It is very easy to say 'well they can improve their lot' but this totally ignores the pyramid. There simply are not enough slots for everyone at the top.

And instead of 'well I did it' use the veil of ignorance.

You realize life is more than two extremes?

Oh, black & white thought patterns....

Nevermind.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

VendaGoat posted:

You realize life is more than two extremes?

Oh, black & white thought patterns....

Nevermind.

Right so the issue is that the middle class is getting wiped out as well and we are rapidly approaching banana republic status but alright.

Nothing is wrong. The young are just stupid. There are no issues :homebrew:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

No one here is saying that the bottom rung isn't loving terrible and needs fixing it's that at a certain point, and I'll use video game terms here, you "level up" and would no longer qualify as the "newbie class" and be able to find an "advanced class" that fits the skills you've acquired. Much like an RPG this will require a journey that will exit your 10 mile radius hometown.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Roylicious posted:

Right so the issue is that the middle class is getting wiped out as well and we are rapidly approaching banana republic status but alright.

Nothing is wrong. The young are just stupid. There are no issues :homebrew:

There it is again.

Squawk! Millennial want a handout! Squawk!

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Blacktoll posted:

No one here is saying that the bottom rung isn't loving terrible and needs fixing it's that at a certain point, and I'll use video game terms here, you "level up" and would no longer qualify as the "newbie class" and be able to find an "advanced class" that fits the skills you've acquired. Much like an RPG this will require a journey that will exit your 10 mile radius hometown.

Right. The issue is that the middle class is rapidly disappearing.

Blacktoll posted:

you "level up" and would no longer qualify as the "newbie class" and be able to find an "advanced class" that fits the skills you've acquired. Much like an RPG this will require a journey that will exit your 10 mile radius hometown.

Hi hello by nature of how society and the job market functions not everyone can be an 'advanced class.' We will always need the bottom and middle rungs and saying 'well it isn't forever haha' in the face of people who work paycheck to paycheck for decades and stay broke and watch their children remain broke is some bullshit.

VendaGoat posted:

There it is again.

Squawk! Millennial want a handout! Squawk!

If you're so smart about the economy and the nation then why are you getting crushed so bad in StockFuse? Come on son.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I've never been double quoted in a single post. I have arrived, see? I told you that a person can level up.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Roylicious posted:

Also you're pretending like the houses are even available. The apartments around me are $2k/mo. If you can find a house to buy in the area for $2k/mo, you're lucky as hell.

if we bought right now at 20% down around here our monthly housing costs would roughly double for the mortgage alone, before even considering property tax and things like utilities and maintenance

lol

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Roylicious posted:

If you're so smart about the economy and the nation then why are you getting crushed so bad in StockFuse? Come on son.

Non-sequitur! Squawk! I'm a smart bird. Squawk!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't know anything about the Stanford area, I'm just making a general statement about why people are wary of houses even if they can afford them. Houses are a tether in a job market that often demands mobility.
As long as there is a large subset of people that can't afford to buy because of reasons (credit, savings, assets) you can always rent property out. If rents are insane I guarantee you there is an insanely low vacancy rate that goes along with it.

Roylicious posted:

Selling a house is a fairly long process and 'affording' a $2k/mo rent does not mean you are not living paycheck to paycheck still (which btw means you might not qualify for a mortgage even though your monthly expenses would remain the same - you're still risky).

So... if you lose your job and you haven't the savings to pay your mortgage for very long then what? Just somehow make it until the house clears escrow?

It depends on the area. My sister in law bought a house, decided she didn't like the area after the fact, and put it up for sale. They only lived in the house one month before buying and moving into another. Made a cool 20k out of it even factoring in closing costs and whatnot (not their original plan, just worked out that way).

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

VendaGoat posted:

Non-sequitur! Squawk! I'm a smart bird. Squawk!

Yeah throw big words out all you like, the fact is you're going 'I'm so smart about money and economics and the youth are just stupid idiots' yet you can't seem to exploit your advantageous knowledge to any kind of big profit so...

Squawk my clit.

Panfilo posted:

It depends on the area.

Well yeah definitely. I think a lot of people are scared by the amounts involved, too. It is easier to sign a 1 year lease than it is to commit to a 10-15 year mortgage.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Necc0 posted:

when does the temptation to return to this lifestyle go away because i'm living in the upper crust but it's real boring up here. i could cash out right now and secure myself 5-7 years of this life easy peazy

like i could just throw my hands up right now, end my lease, go move back to my college town and do nothing but smoke pot / make music / gently caress around for years and it's like.... why not??? but then another part of my brain is all 'no, don't!' so that's why i don't do it

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Missed connection

You: half shaved head with feather earrings and dedazzled denim shorts

Me: 400lb tatted up dude in overalls without shirt or shoes

We passed each other on our pennyfarthings as you were leaving the artisanal pickle shop and made eye contact. You had a savage Savage Garden tattoo and I think we could feel the Bern together

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

You should do that then maybe Roy can get your job.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Pretty sure the Great depression was caused by lazy millennials too

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
GI Bill after WW2 draft meant that pretty much most young men could go to college for free. This was seen as an excellent thing to promote economic/social welfare and security in the job market.

Flash forward a few decades, kids complaining that tuition puts them in debt for decades afterwards are told they are too entitled.

Haha.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
even from he outside you can see America is getting boned lmao

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Anyone can serve except the mentally ill, sorry Roy.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Blacktoll posted:

Untrue.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Necc0 posted:

Every punk house needs a sketchy older guy living on a couch......

I'm like 38, only started making good money maybe 3-5 years ago, have no debt beyond a silly car payment, no kids, and work as a independent contractor. So long as I have six months living expenses in the bank it is very hard to motivate to do adult poo poo.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Blacktoll posted:

i thought you had to be mentally ill to consider going into the military :confused:

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
if you are actually legitimately successful why would you care about this at all

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
lmfao at "wise old people" ITT who play the stock market

Any "skill" in playing the stock market is just your perception of luck, actual scientific studies have been done and shown that there is no statistically significant difference between successful and unsuccessful traders, it's all down to luck. The only actual difference is that amateurs on average record a slight loss compared to market, and pros record a slight gain

If you disagree with this, don't take it up with me, take it up with Nobel laureate Daniel Kahneman

APPEAL TO AUTHORITY THO

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Pitdragon posted:

if you are actually legitimately successful why would you care about this at all

Perhaps they are more alike than they want to admit???!

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Not having a car makes interviewing more of a bitch and entry positions are somewhat uncommon in my area. Although I've heard from one recruiter there are companies that hire non tech ppl for jobs and just train them for 3 months and get them QA positions. Another recruiter told me I may want to consider desk tech jobs because its more techy than what I do now.

I'm trying but I think growing up poor has made it harder for me to navigate starting a career. Neither of my parents had a career, nor do my siblings. Its not an excuse but I'm figuring this poo poo out alone.

Tho I'm told I should be grateful for having a job....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Panfilo posted:

I know this is hard to believe, but there are people out there who are not greedy for every single penny they can earn, yet make enough money to live comfortably and can afford to "waste" money on rent if they prefer not dealing with the hassles of home ownership.

• Locked thread