Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Not having a car makes interviewing more of a bitch and entry positions are somewhat uncommon in my area. Although I've heard from one recruiter there are companies that hire non tech ppl for jobs and just train them for 3 months and get them QA positions. Another recruiter told me I may want to consider desk tech jobs because its more techy than what I do now.

I'm trying but I think growing up poor has made it harder for me to navigate starting a career. Neither of my parents had a career, nor do my siblings. Its not an excuse but I'm figuring this poo poo out alone.

Tho I'm told I should be grateful for having a job....

That's a perfectly valid excuse and no, you shouldn't loving settle for flipping burgers or whatever you do. Did you not take advantage of the job fairs etc. at your college?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

AugmentedVision posted:

I know this is hard to believe, but there are people out there who are not greedy for every single penny they can earn, yet make enough money to live comfortably and can afford to "waste" money on rent if they prefer not dealing with the hassles of home ownership.

I too find the prospect of having a home that is already paid off when I retired a 'hassle' of home ownership. Yeah I'd much rather piss away what little retirement income I scraped out of my rear end in a top hat to spend on more rent :shepspends:

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
WHy am I evena rguing about this poo poo on a comedy forum, this is the worst loving thread we should all kill ourselves

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

AugmentedVision posted:

WHy am I evena rguing about this poo poo on a comedy forum, this is the worst loving thread we should all kill ourselves

Please lead us by example.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

VendaGoat posted:

Please lead us by example.

like, what is your ostensible purpose here? Your actual purpose is very obvious, to try to make yourself feel better about your miserable life, but what are you pretending to do? Do you think you're gonna help some milllllllleeeennniiaalllllllllssssss learn responsibility?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

AugmentedVision posted:

Sell me your house, so that I might sublet its component parts via AirBnB at an exorbinatnat rate :getin:

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Panfilo posted:

Sell me your house, so that I might sublet its component parts via AirBnB at an exorbinatnat rate :getin:

I dont have a house, im the irresponsible dumbass that rents an apartment in SOuth Beach

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

AugmentedVision posted:

like, what is your ostensible purpose here? Your actual purpose is very obvious, to try to make yourself feel better about your miserable life, but what are you pretending to do? Do you think you're gonna help some milllllllleeeennniiaalllllllllssssss learn responsibility?

I'm reading a lot of typing and not seeing a lot of suicide.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

VendaGoat posted:

I'm reading a lot of typing and not seeing a lot of suicide.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

AugmentedVision posted:

lmfao at "wise old people" ITT who play the stock market

Any "skill" in playing the stock market is just your perception of luck, actual scientific studies have been done and shown that there is no statistically significant difference between successful and unsuccessful traders, it's all down to luck. The only actual difference is that amateurs on average record a slight loss compared to market, and pros record a slight gain

If you disagree with this, don't take it up with me, take it up with Nobel laureate Daniel Kahneman

APPEAL TO AUTHORITY THO

As someone who works in finance this is completely made up and I take it up with Danny. Just lol if you think analyst and traders don't go through reams of data to make decisions and just dartboard toss decisions.

But enjoy your teen angst against one industry.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Blacktoll posted:

Just lol if you think analyst and traders don't go through reams of data to make decisions and just dartboard toss decisions.

That's not what I said at all, but I read all about the irrational angst you would have about this revelation in the same book, friend :)

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Blacktoll posted:

As someone who works in finance this is completely made up and I take it up with Danny. Just lol if you think analyst and traders don't go through reams of data to make decisions and just dartboard toss decisions.

Asymmetric information is still the only solid strategy to continually profit in the stock market.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mange Mite posted:

I'm sure a man who writes at an 8th grade level could easily get into medical school if he wanted to

Knowing some MDs, I could agree with that.

Blood mechanics with a hell of a barrier to entry. Really that's it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Blacktoll posted:

You're the best thing to come out of this thread :)

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Claverjoe posted:

Blood Mechanics is a sweet band name

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

AugmentedVision posted:

Blood Mechanics is a sweet band name

:agreed:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

AugmentedVision posted:

No we all have to stay alive to see President Trump.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

bongwizzard posted:

Do people not live with half a dozen roommates for most of their 20's or what? I remember being super excited at like age 25-26 when I got a full time gig paying $30k a year. Before that I think I hovered around 20-25k and somehow managed to pay $300-400 per month for a room in a group house.

Yeah, this was pretty much me in my early 20s. I lived with at least a couple roommates until I had enough saved up to comfortably live alone. I still rent in a dirt cheap country area for now because my girlfriend is still finishing school. My job and the company I work for makes my finding work elsewhere pretty flexible, whereas she will almost certainly need to be somewhere other than rural South Carolina to find work in her field. I've been saving aggressively toward retirement and if we eventually get a small house within our means, I could hopefully pay off the mortgage quickly (barring no layoffs/medical emergencies/any other factor that routinely fucks muddle class people for life).

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
29 here. I lived with my parents for a couple years after college. I was unemployed for one of those years. Took another year before I'd saved up enough to feel comfortable moving out. And I'll be honest I only moved out because they divorced and started selling the house. No idea how long I would've stayed if that hadn't happened.

I still have friends that are living with their folks. I feel awful for them. It's a step up from sharing a hellhole with 6 other unemployed people, two of which inevitably are hoarders (and I also have a couple friends stuck in that situation). But it's still pretty depressing basically having to be someone's kid in your mid 20s, living by their rules.

The Whole Internet fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 26, 2016

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Claverjoe posted:

I think "Flesh Mechanic" or "Flesh Engineer" or "Tissue Mechanic" since it covers the spectrum of blood, bone and flesh.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Yes id like to be a responsible independent adult but Jesus gently caress cant the min wage increase, and I commute to a lovely job via bus for over an hour and why the gently caress are luxury apartments being built everywhere when they're over $1000 per month. Who the gently caress can pay that?!?!

I would kill to live in a $1000 luxury apartment. The costs around here are easily double or triple that depending on the area (southern california).

My friends live in Santa Monica and pay almost $3k for a 600 square foot guest house, decidedly not luxury in any ways.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Panfilo posted:

I too find the prospect of having a home that is already paid off when I retired a 'hassle' of home ownership.

You clearly don't own a house or something then because the maintenance involved alone is a massive pain in the rear end.

quote:

Yeah I'd much rather piss away what little retirement income I scraped out of my rear end in a top hat to spend on more rent :shepspends:

I mean... if you're a poor yeah.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

AugmentedVision posted:

That's not what I said at all, but I read all about the irrational angst you would have about this revelation in the same book, friend :)

yes. I'm the angsty one because I read one book that said that traders make their decisions by the luck of the draw!!! pew pew its the wild west out here fellas. SELL ORANGES BY PORK yeeehaaww

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I will say 95% of chart analysis is some voodoo though.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I bet you do because it's higher level math

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Yeah I can do calc just fine, but that doesn't mean the numbers correlate to real world results.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Blacktoll posted:

yes. I'm the angsty one because I read one book that said that traders make their decisions by the luck of the draw!!! pew pew its the wild west out here fellas. SELL ORANGES BY PORK yeeehaaww

That's not what the book said at all. You are unable to argue against anything I actually stated, so you are substituting something you can argue against. The book talks about that as well :)

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

quote:

Any "skill" in playing the stock market is just your perception of luck, actual scientific studies have been done and shown that there is no statistically significant difference between successful and unsuccessful traders, it's all down to luck. The only actual difference is that amateurs on average record a slight loss compared to market, and pros record a slight gain

This statement doesn't make sense. If there is no difference and it is all down to luck, there is no reason that pros record a slight gain while amateurs record a slight loss consistently.

Also, if this is true then that means algorithmic trading is bunk as there would be no way to consistently program a set of rules to generate profit with since it would all be random chance anyway. But that doesn't make sense because algorithmic trading is a thing.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Please tell me more about this book that says its all down to luck -- or "perception of luck"

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Roylicious posted:

This statement doesn't make sense. If there is no difference and it is all down to luck, there is no reason that pros record a slight gain while amateurs record a slight loss consistently.

Also, if this is true then that means algorithmic trading is bunk as there would be no way to consistently program a set of rules to generate profit with. Which is also not true.

*chuckles* heh, a true NOVICES error. That's not what I said but keep using that excuse to make an argument --- something the book said as well. *laughs heartily into his bawls energy drink*

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Roylicious posted:

Sorry I meant "difference in skill"

All pros are moderately good and all amateurs are moderately bad, any difference between traders within those categories is down to luck

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

AugmentedVision posted:

All pros are moderately good and all amateurs are moderately bad, any difference between traders within those categories is down to luck

This is why 33% of millenials now live at home with mommy.

"It's all luck guys. Everything."

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Blacktoll posted:

This is why 33% of millenials now live at home with mommy.

"It's all luck guys. Everything."

An actual millenial accusing 82 year old nobel laureate Daniel Kahneman of having a millenial mindset

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

AugmentedVision posted:

I think there's probably something else to it as well... of course when you make it granular you could say the differences are down to luck. A master fisherman is ultimately beholden to luck as well, but he is still going to catch more fish than an amateur. You made it seem like trading might as well be spinning a wheel where the results are similar regardless of who is spinning it. Usually the difference between pros and amateurs is consistency. Anyone can pick a random company that takes off, but if you can make profit consistently over time that's something else.

However, I'm not going to disagree that most people in the finance industry don't necessarily have any idea what they are doing. Index funds and ETFs are the nightmare of hedge fund managers, for example (because they show that there's no reason to pay more for active management when an index fund does just as well if not better). The complicated and often obscure nature of the industry itself gives rise to tons of crap like nepotism, taking credit for things that would have happened anyway, outright scams, etc. Warren Buffet constantly pisses off hedge fund managers by telling them they are just fleecing people.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 27, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Listen man, I'm really happy that you read a book and it completely defines the industry that I work in to you. But I promise you that it is not an elaborate game of baccarat.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I wish 33% of you lived in my rear end in a top hat

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I heard there's a Mr. Market they keep enslaved and they yell letters at him and he yells prices back and every 2 weeks they sacrifice him to the Wall and capture another, confirm/deny?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Roylicious posted:

I think there's probably something else to it as well... of course when you make it granular you could say the differences are down to luck. A master fisherman is ultimately beholden to luck as well, but he is still going to catch more fish than an amateur. You made it seem like trading might as well be spinning a wheel where the results are similar regardless of who is spinning it. Usually the difference between pros and amateurs is consistency. Anyone can pick a random company that takes off, but if you can make profit consistently over time that's something else.

However, I'm not going to disagree that most people in the finance industry don't necessarily have any idea what they are doing. Index funds and ETFs are the nightmare of hedge fund managers, for example (because they show that there's no reason to pay more for active management when an index fund does just as well if not better). The complicated and often obscure nature of the industry itself gives rise to tons of crap like nepotism, taking credit for things that would have happened anyway, outright scams, etc. Warren Buffet constantly pisses off hedge fund managers by telling them they are just fleecing people.

I don't care about any of these details, all I know is that a highly respected scientist did a study comparing the performance of different traders and did not find the differences in stock-picking ability between traders within the same group to be statistically significant

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Lots of bickering over who has more stick-to-it-ivness ITT while real wages have declined, worker productivity has increased, CEO and top executive pay have exponentially increased, higher education and medical expenses have skyrocketed.

But no let's all argue about how successful we are while collectively getting hosed by the ultra-wealthy and large business interests to whom we are dust motes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Ahundredbux posted:

I wish 33% of you lived in my rear end in a top hat

:laffo:

I want to embroider this post on a tasteful throw pillow.

• Locked thread