Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Same with weddings, every holiday, taking out loans for everything, insuring everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Nine Inch Nails lmaooooooo

"These youngins need to experience the thrill of grooving to the Beatles while smoking some wacky tobacky"

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

GreatGreen posted:

This is great news for somebody like me who probably won't ever have to worry about "younger talent" crowding me out in my career now, no matter how old I get!

Keep up the good work folks.

Until you get crowded out by younger talent because you were relying on a sweeping stereotype for job security

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
lmfao at "wise old people" ITT who play the stock market

Any "skill" in playing the stock market is just your perception of luck, actual scientific studies have been done and shown that there is no statistically significant difference between successful and unsuccessful traders, it's all down to luck. The only actual difference is that amateurs on average record a slight loss compared to market, and pros record a slight gain

If you disagree with this, don't take it up with me, take it up with Nobel laureate Daniel Kahneman

APPEAL TO AUTHORITY THO

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Panfilo posted:

Sell/rent it out and move somewhere else? Not like houses around Stanford are gonna get any cheaper...

I know this is hard to believe, but there are people out there who are not greedy for every single penny they can earn, yet make enough money to live comfortably and can afford to "waste" money on rent if they prefer not dealing with the hassles of home ownership.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Not having a car makes interviewing more of a bitch and entry positions are somewhat uncommon in my area. Although I've heard from one recruiter there are companies that hire non tech ppl for jobs and just train them for 3 months and get them QA positions. Another recruiter told me I may want to consider desk tech jobs because its more techy than what I do now.

I'm trying but I think growing up poor has made it harder for me to navigate starting a career. Neither of my parents had a career, nor do my siblings. Its not an excuse but I'm figuring this poo poo out alone.

Tho I'm told I should be grateful for having a job....

That's a perfectly valid excuse and no, you shouldn't loving settle for flipping burgers or whatever you do. Did you not take advantage of the job fairs etc. at your college?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
WHy am I evena rguing about this poo poo on a comedy forum, this is the worst loving thread we should all kill ourselves

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

VendaGoat posted:

Please lead us by example.

like, what is your ostensible purpose here? Your actual purpose is very obvious, to try to make yourself feel better about your miserable life, but what are you pretending to do? Do you think you're gonna help some milllllllleeeennniiaalllllllllssssss learn responsibility?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Panfilo posted:

Sell me your house, so that I might sublet its component parts via AirBnB at an exorbinatnat rate :getin:

I dont have a house, im the irresponsible dumbass that rents an apartment in SOuth Beach

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Blacktoll posted:

Just lol if you think analyst and traders don't go through reams of data to make decisions and just dartboard toss decisions.

That's not what I said at all, but I read all about the irrational angst you would have about this revelation in the same book, friend :)

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Claverjoe posted:

Knowing some MDs, I could agree with that.

Blood mechanics with a hell of a barrier to entry. Really that's it.

Blood Mechanics is a sweet band name

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Blacktoll posted:

yes. I'm the angsty one because I read one book that said that traders make their decisions by the luck of the draw!!! pew pew its the wild west out here fellas. SELL ORANGES BY PORK yeeehaaww

That's not what the book said at all. You are unable to argue against anything I actually stated, so you are substituting something you can argue against. The book talks about that as well :)

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Roylicious posted:

This statement doesn't make sense. If there is no difference and it is all down to luck, there is no reason that pros record a slight gain while amateurs record a slight loss consistently.

Sorry I meant "difference in skill"

All pros are moderately good and all amateurs are moderately bad, any difference between traders within those categories is down to luck

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Blacktoll posted:

This is why 33% of millenials now live at home with mommy.

"It's all luck guys. Everything."

An actual millenial accusing 82 year old nobel laureate Daniel Kahneman of having a millenial mindset

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Roylicious posted:

I think there's probably something else to it as well... of course when you make it granular you could say the differences are down to luck. A master fisherman is ultimately beholden to luck as well, but he is still going to catch more fish than an amateur. You made it seem like trading might as well be spinning a wheel where the results are similar regardless of who is spinning it. Usually the difference between pros and amateurs is consistency. Anyone can pick a random company that takes off, but if you can make profit consistently over time that's something else.

However, I'm not going to disagree that most people in the finance industry don't necessarily have any idea what they are doing. Index funds and ETFs are the nightmare of hedge fund managers, for example (because they show that there's no reason to pay more for active management when an index fund does just as well if not better). The complicated and often obscure nature of the industry itself gives rise to tons of crap like nepotism, taking credit for things that would have happened anyway, outright scams, etc. Warren Buffet constantly pisses off hedge fund managers by telling them they are just fleecing people.

I don't care about any of these details, all I know is that a highly respected scientist did a study comparing the performance of different traders and did not find the differences in stock-picking ability between traders within the same group to be statistically significant

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Professor Shark posted:

You're the best thing to come out of this thread :)

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
not sure, let me pull up my internet debate fallacies infographic

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Anyone who buys a dog from a breeder should be put on death row immediately with no trial, but a person visiting the prison may choose to save them from the death penalty by taking them home as their slave

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

noctambulous nebab posted:

Pure breeds are incomparable to common mutts, go yap about climate change somewhere.

True, inbred diseased freaks are incomparable to healthy mutts

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

noctambulous nebab posted:

Did I hit a button? You clearly have something to prove. The drive for home ownership is a sham.

They may very well be happy, but it is equally as easy to shame somebody for living in a trailer home as it is for living with their parents. Or living on the street. Living expenses, particularly rent prices, are dire straits for people without the skills to contribute to society.

I bought the propaganda and fled the homestead at 18. Had some experiences but I also had a really hard time. Shame people for things that are actually shameful, living at home for a few extra years is nothing. It's also a criticism that is likely to only be aimed at men, less so at women.

atcually it is you that is mad

• Locked thread