Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

interwhat posted:

Sure, I actually just moved to central Ohio from south of Washington, D.C., aka southern Maryland. Part of the reason was to get out of moms place, we had retreated BACK when we became with child, which was also really necessary since he was 2 months premature(doing awesome now). We moved out here to Ohio since the lady has family here so we weren't too detached from family. But basically a 2 bedroom anywhere where in MD save for the absolute boonies where there aren't jobs, will cost you at a minimum $1200 monthly, without utilities, and likely still increasing. Our 2 bedroom townhouse, at 1000 sq ft, costs us less than $900.00 including water.

We could sit here and do my budget here, but the fact of the matter is, poo poo is already tight, and if you got suckered into a for profit college to pursue your dreams, you're actually way worse off than people that didn't and got into a trade. I went to culinary school since I had been cooking for 5 years, got hosed, realized I was getting hosed and dropped out, now I pay $800/month at 19% interest,, and am actually behind because I would rather have food in my fridge, and the dream of having great credit and buying that beautiful so called asset of a house is fading.

I once was a chef, but things change, and if I hadn't dropped everything, started changing oil at a car dealership, utilized manufacturer training and sheer god drat drive to learn, I wouldn't be a qualified technician making a career out of servicing high end cars. I would probably still be another 10 years out on making 60k in the cooking world. It's a rough industry.

Now yes, definitely my choice to sign up for said nonsense arts college, but what's particularly lovely, is if something were to happen to me, injury, death etc, that debt goes directly to my consigner, dearest mother.

Now check this poo poo out, if at the time I was signing the promissory note for a massive private education loan, that person was like "hey listen, you need a consigner, and this poo poo is expensive, and if you don't get a ballin rear end chef job, you and your mom are going to be on the hook big time, maybe reconsider.." I would probably have gone home and put some serious thought into what I was getting into, and maybe would have gone with a safer plan. INSTEAD, said person was like "dude I can't believe you haven't signed up yet, by the time you're done here, you're gonna be a sous chef making the big monies, plus FAFSA dog, they're gonna give you money n poo poo, shits gonna be baller!" That in a nutshell, is what's wrong with the system.

As for the "millennials" op speaks of, I would probably just blame their parents.

Edit: also the old lady did the exact same thing, at the exact same school, it's where we met! Lol

I read the first three paragraphs. This should be required reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Who the gently caress can't live on 60k a year

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
"I had to cut back on ordering grub hub 5 nights a week. poo poo is tight"

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

remigious posted:

I don't want to type a huge serious post in response to the op, but basically student loans spiral out of control very quickly and it can be extremely difficult to pay them and rent at the same time.

It's like you posted the exact problem, and the exact solution is right there, and you're incapable of seeing it.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I serious replied to this thread. What I meant to say was everything is exactly as it was 50 years ago and nothing should change.

• Locked thread