Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Starting June 3, the Copa America kicks off its centennial event, creatively named Copa America Centenario. The United States is hosting for the first time this year, because there isn't a single international tournament that the U.S. won't try to ruin.

Let's go through the basics of this OP in Q&A form.

Wait, didn't we just have a Copa America last year?

Yup, we did. But this time is special because it's the 100th year of the tournament and the glorious United States of America is involved.

Isn't this a CONMEBOL tournament? Why the gently caress is the U.S. here?

Long story short: bribes and corruption. Lots and lots of bribes and corruption. The U.S. may lack the pure soccer talent of Europe, but we really upped our bribing/corruption game. As such, all matches will be held in the grand ole U.S. Of A.

Okay fine, I'll put up with you Yankee assholes because your team won't last long anyway. Who else is here besides the South Americans?

Some other CONCACAF teams will be here! We couldn't do all that bribing and corruption without inviting some of our worthless deadbeat friends. Costa Rica, Jamaica, Panama and Haiti are all along for the ride, and will do an incredible job padding the goal stats of real national teams. Get hyped!

I'm still not hyped.

That's fine, I get it. Euro 16 is happening at the same time, and that's where all the actual good players are at. However, if you want some good ol' fashioned trainwreck soccer with hilariously incompetent refs, you won't do much better than Copa America.

Okay, I guess I'm interested. Who's the favorite?

gently caress if I know. Argentina, I guess, but only if Messi gives a poo poo (he won't). Brazil is saving Neymar for the Olympics, so you'll have to wait a few more months to see him die of Zika. They have like 3 other players you may have heard of. Luis Suarez picked up an injury in the Copa del Rey final, which is a real bummer because, whether he's scoring or biting, he makes Uruguay way more watchable just by his presence. Mexico is finally starting to unfuck themselves after the Chepo/Herrera era, but they're not ready yet.

Media people will hype this up as "ANYBODY CAN WIN IT" which is code for "all these teams are poo poo." Just bask in the chaos and you'll have a lot more fun here.

How do I watch this thing if I'm an American?

Fox Sports has the Copa America package this year, so the games will be aired on FOX, FS1, FS2 and some of them will be on FX for some reason. Spanish-language broadcasts will be on Univision. Here's the complete TV schedule.

How do I watch this thing if I'm not in America?

I dunno, check your local listings or something. The UK is airing it on Premier Sports.

So when are these teams actually playing?

Glad you asked!

Group A

Group B

Group C

Group D

Oh, one last question.

Go ahead.

From a completely neutral viewpoint, free of any bias, how do you think the U.S. National Team will do in this tournament?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Benne fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Mexico is going to win this shitass tournament because none of the other teams will care and their fans will be insufferable (more than usual) for years

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
uefa supremacy

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Is Portland hosting any games? Do we have any chance of nasty favela boys being rowdy and heteronormative with knives?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
^^^Nope, but Seattle is.

Mexico's group stage games are in Houston, LA and Phoenix, so they're just as much a home team in this thing as the USA (poo poo, I'm going to the USA-Costa Rica game in Chicago and am hoping for a 50-50 crowd, which probably won't happen).

I don't see this as much more than an excuse to drink, but I'm hoping we get out of the group stage and maybe, just maybe, to the semis. On the other hand, a dismal U.S. performance maybe (just maybe) gets Klinsmann fired, so there's a silver lining, I guess

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao I could go see Jamaica play Venezuela in Chicago for $6. I would pay five times more to get to the city and back than a ticket would cost me.

Alternately I could sit right behind one of the goals in the fifth row for the wallet-gouging price of $10 a ticket.

e: Argentina vs. Panama in the same stadium starts at $75

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/StarsStripesFC/status/735986753258041344

Thread title still accurate

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I mean, it could be worse. You pretty much know what you're getting with a Pitbull song

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
gently caress it I'm down for watching some football at 2am

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
June 4, 2016 Costa Rica vs. Paraguay
June 6, 2016 Bolivia vs. Panama
June 8, 2016 Brazil vs. Haiti

these games are happening down the street from me, i may have to go to one

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

EC10 posted:

June 4, 2016 Costa Rica vs. Paraguay
June 6, 2016 Bolivia vs. Panama
June 8, 2016 Brazil vs. Haiti

these games are happening down the street from me, i may have to go to one

Will you support all six?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Ewar Woowar posted:

Lol

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
OP, you don't know what you're talking about. The reason the US is participating in Copa America is so CONMEBOL can make more money on broadcasting and advertising in the US. They asked the US to participate and CONMEBOL had to make massive concessions in order to make sure the tournament would be held in the US. The US didn't bribe anyone, it was definitely the other way around.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Sounds reasonable. Mexico hosts more games in the United States now than it does in Mexico because the money is so much better when playing stateside so I wouldn't be surprised if lots of the countries in CONMEBOL didn't want to get in on the same deal.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Ewar Woowar posted:

but enough about my illegitimate children

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Vinestalk posted:

OP, you don't know what you're talking about. The reason the US is participating in Copa America is so CONMEBOL can make more money on broadcasting and advertising in the US. They asked the US to participate and CONMEBOL had to make massive concessions in order to make sure the tournament would be held in the US. The US didn't bribe anyone, it was definitely the other way around.

OK that makes sense. I knew bribes changed hands somewhere, but wasn't too aware of the details, other than knowing about that crazy bearded guy with the cats.

It actually makes perfect sense that CONMEBOL would want their tourney in a bigger media market where they can get more ratings (case in point: FOX is covering the Copa this year, whereas last year it was on beIN Sports, which I promise is not a made-up joke channel).

Anyway, this is almost guaranteed to do the biggest ratings/attendance numbers in Copa history, so everybody important (the confederations and sponsors) wins even if the soccer sucks.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Last year's Copa America was a real encapsulation of everything Americans hate bout soccer. Diving, exaggerating every contact, slow pace, 0-0 draws, hispanics everywhere.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Monday Bandele posted:

Last year's Copa America was a real encapsulation of everything Americans hate bout soccer. Diving, exaggerating every contact, slow pace, 0-0 draws, hispanics everywhere.

This is what we already get in MLS so I'm pretty sure most Americans are used to it by now

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
This is gonna be awful tbh

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

El Hefe posted:

This is gonna be awful tbh

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I want the US to not get out of the group so that both Jurgen Klinsman gets fired as soon as possible and my lovely MLS team gets their really good player back and without him having played too many games.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

The Real Madrid doctors announced that Keylor has some foot injury.

All the Keylor haters (Yes, they exist. No, I don't get it) are saying that it's fake and he's lying so he doesn't have to play because he already forgot about his country. I'm inclined to believe that the RM doctors could be lying but the simplest explanation is that he's really injured, he missed a couple games due to that foot injury after all.

Either way, if Pemberton starts then congrats USMNT on making it to the second round. If "Osito" Moreira starts then we're good.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to seeing Panama - Bolivia.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Keylor is not playing, next on the list for third keeper were a couple up and coming kids but they didn't have a US visa so Saprissa's Danny Carvajal was called up. He played like 2 matches last season, doesn't matter anyway cause he wont play. Hopefully Moreira will start, he's way better than Pemberton right now.

Also Thai league superstar Ariel "Samurai Tico" Rodriguez is injured too, shame because he has been scoring a lot lately.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

quote:

Straight to penalty kicks -- except in the final

Unlike most other soccer tournaments, in Copa America, extra time is not played to break a tie at the end of regulation time in the quarterfinals and semifinals. Games that are tied after 90 minutes in the knockout round will bypass overtime and go directly to penalty kicks as a tiebreaker -- except in the tournament final. If the final is tied after regulation time, the teams will play two 15-minute extra time periods to try and determine a winner before penalty kicks. Only if the score remains tied after the extra time will the game go to penalty kicks to determine the winner and champion.

Yellow card accumulation

If a player receives two yellow cards in two separate matches through group games or the quarterfinals, they will be suspended for the following game. Yellow card accumulation will be reset after the quarterfinals and cards from the first two rounds will not carry over into the semifinals or the final.

Tiebreakers

If two or more teams are tied after group play is finished, the first tiebreaker is goal-difference (the team's goals scored minus its goals allowed). If teams' goal difference is equal, the second tiebreaker is goals scored. If teams are still tied, then head-to-head results are used to break the tie. If all that fails, lots will be drawn to determine which team(s) advance.

Format

The 16 teams in the tournament are divided into four groups of four, with teams playing against each of the other teams in the group. The two teams in each group with the most points (teams get three points for a win, one for a draw) after the round robin portion advance to the quarterfinals, which are a single elimination (knockout) format.

No extra time is pretty lol, but honestly, who wants to see 30 more minutes of lovely soccer?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
At least lately Keylor Navas always seems to get "injured" before he has to play with Costa Rica though, it''s really suspect.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Libertadores doesn't have extra time either. Extra time is bullshit and penalties are pretty cool unless you are an argie or a english.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
i hope Mexico owns the USA again

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

El Hefe posted:

At least lately Keylor Navas always seems to get "injured" before he has to play with Costa Rica though, it''s really suspect.

It's a real injury that he has been carrying for months, he will be getting surgery for it. Of course all the "keylor es un vendepatrias" crew will clain that it's a fake surgery to hide the conspiracy.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Important thing to remember about this is since it starts after June 1st the changes to the Laws of the Game should be in place. This includes:

*Kickoffs can go backward
*If an object touches the ball on the way into the goal, a goal can be counted if the object didn't have an effect on the defenders
*Fouls can occur off the field and restart with a direct free kick on the boundary line (or PK if in penalty area)
*DOGSO in the penalty area is only a yellow card unless the foul is holding/pushing/pulling or there is no attempt to play the ball
*If a GK infringes on a penalty kick and it doesn't go in the goal, a caution for the GK is mandatory (lol way to make sure no one ever calls GK infringing again)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I remember when USMNT fans threw cups of urine and sick at Mexico fans.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
USA through to the semis, book it

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Pissflaps posted:

I remember when USMNT fans threw cups of urine and sick at Mexico fans.

It was shameful stuff for sure. Bad losers. I was hoping I wouldn't have to see disgraceful scenes like those again, but it seems someone decided USMNT get to play here even though they got embarrassed by minnows Jamaica and Panama in their last "attempt" at an international tournament. Hopefully Mexico wins again, for the good of the sport.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
TONIGHT -- A CLASH OF TITANS

USA:

VS

COL:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I think the USA is going to get their poo poo pushed in tonight.

Is Jozy in the squad?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Can't wait to see what inexplicable lineup Jurgen farts out tonight

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Gigi Galli posted:

I think the USA is going to get their poo poo pushed in tonight.

Is Jozy in the squad?

His glass hamstrings shattered again

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Benne posted:

His glass hamstrings shattered again

That's a shame.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Colombia are kinda poo poo now, I wouldn't be surprised if the USTMNT manage to beat them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Have you seen the USMNT lately?

• Locked thread