Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So Mark Stoops is a dead man walking right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Benne posted:

I'm gotta think so. His Kentucky team is going backwards at this stage.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

I feel like he might have a dumb buyout (I'm assuming he has the same agent as his brother, which is also Ferentz's agent) but if UK doesn't care about that than yeah. He's doing good things in recruiting but the team hadn't improved at all and he's run through a bunch of coordinators.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

MourningView posted:

I feel like he might have a dumb buyout (I'm assuming he has the same agent as his brother, which is also Ferentz's agent) but if UK doesn't care about that than yeah. He's doing good things in recruiting but the team hadn't improved at all and he's run through a bunch of coordinators.

I saw on twitter his buyout is 12 m so I want that agent to conduct all my business.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Has Kentucky broken 100 passing yards since they blamed their struggles on last year's OC (who is destroying everybody at Southern Miss)?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Yea it's clearly Stoops holding the offense back. Well, he can come back and be the FSU DC when he gets fired.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yea it's clearly Stoops holding the offense back. Well, he can come back and be the FSU DC when he gets fired.
Whose fault is it? His biggest selling point is that he's recruited well so I'm not sure how you can blame talent. He's already had multiple OCs so it's hard to say he just needs a change there. At some point the lack of progress has to be on him. And it's not like the defense is good either, they just gave up 45 to a Florida team that struggled to move the ball against UMass. He can be a good coordinator without being a good head coach, lots of guys are.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 11, 2016

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Jared Lorenzen said he wanted a change after last night

He gone

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Raku posted:

Jared Lorenzen said he wanted a change after last night

He gone

lol, Jared Lorenzen still has pull with the program?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Pakled posted:

gravitational

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Pakled posted:

It's more that he's the most noteworthy and supportive fan of the team and even he's sick of this poo poo

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Have you considered that Florida is actually cool and good and week 1 was an outlier

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Ehud posted:

Have you considered that Florida is actually cool and good and week 1 was an outlier

No don't.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ehud posted:

I have not

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

No sir.

And they'll still beat Tennessee

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Looking at Kentucky's schedule, they host New Mexico State and South Carolina, before going to Bama (lol) and then hosting Vandy before their bye. They should beat NMST and lose to Bama, which means two winnable conference games could be the difference maker. Win one or both and I think he'll make it to the end of the season. If they drop them both and are 1-5 going into the bye, I could see Stoops getting canned.

Stoops never beat Florida, never beat Louisville, and doesn't look like he'll even get to 5-7 this season. 12m buyout or not, it's time to chalk up the experiment as a failure and move on to the next one.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Can Jim Delany pull some strings so all of Marrow's recruits can transfer en masse to Purdue or whatever?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FB Scoops posted:

Florida: Arizona AD Greg Byrne has told the Tucson Citizen he will remain at Arizona despite interest from Florida.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

MourningView posted:

Whose fault is it? His biggest selling point is that he's recruited well so I'm not sure how you can blame talent. He's already had multiple OCs so it's hard to say he just needs a change there. At some point the lack of progress has to be on him. And it's not like the defense is good either, they just gave up 45 to a Florida team that struggled to move the ball against UMass. He can be a good coordinator without being a good head coach, lots of guys are.

I wasn't being sarcastic. He's got talent and had multiple OC's who are all suddenly incompetent under him. It's definitely his fault.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

Raku posted:

Has Kentucky broken 100 passing yards since they blamed their struggles on last year's OC (who is destroying everybody at Southern Miss)?

Drew Barker had 300 yards and 4 TDs at about 70% completion in the first half against Southern Miss. True to the form of the last 15 games or so, Kentucky collapsed in the second half and was unable to stop So. Miss from running the football or generate any offense themselves. 18 rushing attempts by the RBs in the entire So. Miss. game (Boom Williams averaged 7.2 ypc, Jojo Kemp 1.4 ypc) and less than 20 minutes of possession while So. Miss rushed for 262 on 68 carries and possessed the ball for 40+ minutes.

There were probably a few long-time fans holding on to see if UK could turn it around and be respectable against Florida (win or lose) but that was always a pipe dream.

Stoops is finished at UK, absent some miraculous turnaround. He may coach here in 2017 due to the buyout number, but he's a lame duck at this point. The NMSU game this Saturday will have less than 20,000 people in the stands and Kentucky looks primed for a 2-10 (3-9 at best) season.

I've had season tickets for decades and recently got a great parking pass in a lot right next to the stadium, as well as a seat upgrade. If I bump my head and decide to renew next year, I'll have my pick of seats/parking passes. Season tickets for 2016 were down ~15% from 2015 and I expect the 2017 season ticket numbers to be down another ~20% from this season.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I remember when Michigan fans wanted that guy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

That's good news, awesome.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rick posted:

That's good news, awesome.

Yeah, Byrne strikes me as a pretty drat good AD. I can see why Florida would target him.

Imagine you'll see him getting a new deal with Arizona pretty soon.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

Raku posted:

It's more that he's the most noteworthy and supportive fan of the team and even he's sick of this poo poo

This is demonstrably untrue. He only came back around the program after Patrick Towles was named the starter (he coached Towles in HS and they both played for Highlands) after basically ignoring or making lovely comments about the program under most of the Brooks and Joker Phillips years. He began a t-shirt company to sell UK fans t-shirts in an attempt to capitalize on increased fan support for football when he began commenting/doing pre-game/doing the 4th Quarter thing.

When Towels announced the day after the UL loss that he would be transferring, Lorenzen began making GBS threads on everything UK football and subsequently was removed from his 4th down tradition at Commonwealth Stadium.

There are lots of people sick of this poo poo, but Lorenzen is far from the most noteworthy or supportive fan of UK football.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Former Everything posted:

This is demonstrably untrue. He only came back around the program after Patrick Towles was named the starter (he coached Towles in HS and they both played for Highlands) after basically ignoring or making lovely comments about the program under most of the Brooks and Joker Phillips years. He began a t-shirt company to sell UK fans t-shirts in an attempt to capitalize on increased fan support for football when he began commenting/doing pre-game/doing the 4th Quarter thing.

When Towels announced the day after the UL loss that he would be transferring, Lorenzen began making GBS threads on everything UK football and subsequently was removed from his 4th down tradition at Commonwealth Stadium.

There are lots of people sick of this poo poo, but Lorenzen is far from the most noteworthy or supportive fan of UK football.

Huh, guess I was confused because I only became aware of his actions again when he started showing up to their games and stuff.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Stoops' buyout would be closer to $18m once you count up all the assistants. That's a huge price to pay, but how much are you going to lose from reduced ticket sales next year, and the rest of this year if things go worse. If he goes winless in the SEC I don't think there will be much choice. Beat South Carolina, Vandy, Mizzou, and Mississippi St, a daunting task now but not impossible, you get to a bowl and all this talk goes away. It's the range of 4-5 wins but the team looks competitive is where it becomes a tough decision, because fans are growing weary fast.

In year 2, UK actually overachieved based on preseason expectations, but the fast 5-1 start followed by 6 losses in a row masks that now. It was after that season that Neal Brown left for the head coaching job at Troy, so it's not like he's been forcing OCs out every year. The biggest problem has been the defense. Despite having supposedly better talent, the defense has seemed to get worse and worse each year. I know DJ Eliot is his boy, but there was clamouring for a change at DC last year, and after the past two games that has gotten louder. I think the buyout is too big still for Stoops, but I think Eliot is definitely gone after this year.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Lorenzen is definitely Kentucky's biggest fan and might still be their most avid supporter.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Lorenzen is definitely Kentucky's biggest fan and might still be their most avid supporter.

ISWYDT

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Brian Kelly gave defensive coordinator Brian Van Gorder the dreaded vote of confidence yesterday. I'd be surprised if he lasts the season. Notre Dame can't stop the run to save their lives.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Kentucky's defense is allowing 43.7 points per game, 243 yards rushing per game (at 4.5 yards per carry) and 285 yards passing per game (at 9.0 yards per attempt). 528 yards per game at 6.14 yards per play.

This is what our defense looks like in year four with a head coach who was supposedly known for being a defensive mind. Even though Kentucky managed to outpace a lovely New Mexico State team 62-42 on Saturday, I'm not sure why Mark Stoops is still employed this morning.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After the Louisville game, it might be time for FSU to move on from Jimbo. Hasn't won a big game in years, hasn't won a championship in almost half a decade. :smith: Don't know who we could get to replace him.

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 19, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

whiteyfats posted:

After the Louisville game, it might be time for FSU to move on from Jimbo. Hasn't won a big game in years, hasn't won a championship in almost half a decade. :smith: Don't know who we could to replace him.

Oh no how awful. You're still going to sleepwalk to a 9 win season at the very least. May as well fire everyone.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DJExile posted:

Oh no how awful. You're still going to sleepwalk to a 9 win season at the very least. May as well fire everyone.

No need to be sarcastic. :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Florida State is going to ultimately be just fine. The ACC is hilariously imbalanced right now since the costal is a dumpster fire but holy poo poo dude they had two undefeated regular seasons in a row, the first culminating in a national championship and the other a playoff berth. You don't need to fire jimbo because they lost to a very good Louisville team who played the game of their lives.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

whiteyfats posted:

After the Louisville game, it might be time for FSU to move on from Jimbo. Hasn't won a big game in years, hasn't won a championship in almost half a decade. :smith: Don't know who we could get to replace him.

Good post. I unironically agree that Jumbo should be fired immediately.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

DJExile posted:

Florida State is going to ultimately be just fine. The ACC is hilariously imbalanced right now since the costal is a dumpster fire but holy poo poo dude they had two undefeated regular seasons in a row, the first culminating in a national championship and the other a playoff berth. You don't need to fire jimbo because they lost to a very good Louisville team who played the game of their lives.

Trap sprung?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

FWIW our boosters are starting to push Jimbo to fire our DC.

Need to fire our WR coach and OL coach and LB coach too. Probably out RB coach too.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wasn't Charles Kelly like a top tier coordinator a season ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
OL and injuries seem like way bigger issues than the defense but sure whatever fire everyone they lost a game why can't we be Alabama?

• Locked thread