Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
oh yes~ doki-doki sunshine~

what's going on here, chum

Welcome to the new era of Love Live! Previously in the franchise, the nine girls of µ's saved school idols forever after participating in like three Love Lives in a row.
Now we move to Numazu city, Shizuoka prefecture, to Uranohoshi Girls' High School, an out-of-the-way place with ordinary girls like Chika Takami.
One day, she finds herself inspired by µ's, and gains the desire to shine just like they were able to - but can she find others to chase this dream with!?

Check out the PV here: https://youtu.be/Sbz9EeyUOIs

who are these girls

They're the members of Aqours, and they're aiming for Love Live! Quick rundown:

Chika Takami (voiced by Anju Inami)
Our orange-haired optimistic and energetic leader. Not a Honoka clone. Youngest of three sisters, and a big fan of µ's. Dorky punlord. Second-year.
Image color: Orange.

Riko Sakurauchi (voiced by Rikako Aida)
Recently moved to the area; transfer student from Otonokizaka. Reserved but prone to not maintaining it well. Second-year.
Afraid of dogs.
Image color: Watermelon pink.

You Watanabe (voiced by Shuka Saito)
One of Chika's classmates and a diver whose skill is good enough for national level. Desires to follow in the footsteps of her father, a ferry captain. Second-year.
The best friend anyone could ask for and the captain of the good ship Seventeen Girlfriends.
Yousoro!
Image color: Sky blue.

Kanan Matsuura (voiced by Nanaka Suwa)
Most composed of the entire group. Childhood friend and kind of an older sister figure to Chika. Basically team mom, from what it looks like so far. Third-year.
Currently taking time off from school to help her family out.
Image color: Seafoam green.

Dia Kurosawa (voiced by Arisa Komiya)
Student council president. The "success or nothing" type. Her family is old, rich, and well-known in the area. Nitpicky. Older sister to Ruby. Third-year.
THE BIGGEST FAN OF μ'S TO EVER LIVE. CONSIDERS EVERY DETAIL OF THEIR COLLECTIVE CAREER AS COMMON KNOWLEDGE.
Image color: Crimson.

Mari Ohara (voiced by Aina Suzuki)
Lock on! HWAT!? Oh! Mistake! P-E-N-G-I-N! Half-Japanese, half-Italian-American, full Engliboo. Her father is the manager of a hotel chain, and she loves listening to industrial metal. One of the two most likely memelords of the group. Third-year.
Through the power of money, appointed the new director of Uranohoshi.
IT'S JOKE
Image color: Purple.

Ruby Kurosawa (voiced by Ai Furihata)
Best friends with Hanamaru. Has literally never talked to a guy other than her dad. Cries a lot. Younger sister to Dia. First-year.
Hides a lot. Can be lured out with candy.
Ganbaruby!
Image color: Candy pink.

Hanamaru Kunikida (voiced by Kanako Takatsuki)
Choir singer, zura. Best friends with Ruby and aspires to be like her, zura. Not exactly good at keeping up with the times, zura. First-year.
Image color: Citrus yellow.

Yoshiko YOHANE Tsushima (voiced by Aika Kobayashi)
A fallen angel who has earned the wrath of God himself because she was too cute, cursed to live amongst humans with eternal bad luck. A little devil girl skilled with magic and video games. We are all her little demons. The other most likely memelord. First-year.
HER NAME IS NOT YOSHIKO. IT'S YOHANE.
BEST GIRL.
Image color: Silver.

Okay when does this come on?

July 2!!!!!

Where can I watch it?

For USA-based folks, Funimation is taking care of the show.
I believe that for the UK and... some other countries which elude me right now... Crunchyroll has your back.

so if it's like the previous era, there's gotta be songs and stuff, right
Yup! Have some links with the barest hint of plot in the videos:
1st Single: Kimi no Kokoro wa Kagayaiteru Kai?
2nd Single: Koi ni Naritai AQUARIUM
Furthermore, our own Daxing Dan has been doing translations of the audio dramas since the release of Koi ni Naritai AQUARIUM! Check 'em out for some pre-anime insight into the characters.

So basically, this topic is going to be for discussion of the anime/manga in Dengeki G's/music releases/VA goings-on/related etc.
If school idols are getting you into the world of anime idols, you can also try playing School Idol Festival and joining us at the Anime (Idol) Rhythm Game thread!

graybook fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Where is Kotori

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Chuunico

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Strange Quark posted:

Where is Kotori
"The little bird's wings have finally grown large.
It's a day to take flight."
-Ancient Otonokizaka proverb

also jesus christ I'm in love with Aikyan's deep singing voice on Strawberry Trapper (Aikyan = Aika Kobayashi = Yohane)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

Where is Kotori

:argh:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Dia is my favorite cause it's already self-evident that Dia is the best.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Allarion posted:

Dia is my favorite cause it's already self-evident that Dia is the best.

...pengin?

The latest drama made her rise in my personal rankings too. I could see her drop some if her fussiness gets to be too much, but I totally vibe with that at times, like how she got frustrated about kanji readings in the third-year drama for Aquarium.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I can't into moonspeak so the earliest I can get into official content and understand any of the potential lesbotic undertones is in the anime. Here's hoping it's fun!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All the new love lives seem pretty cool. Most of them have potential to be best girls imo.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

i like the chuuni based on what I've seen on twitter

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

graybook posted:

...pengin?

The latest drama made her rise in my personal rankings too. I could see her drop some if her fussiness gets to be too much, but I totally vibe with that at times, like how she got frustrated about kanji readings in the third-year drama for Aquarium.

I still love the fact that she still had penguins on the brain in the Azalea drama.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

EDIT: Also this is why I had a good feeling about Dia from the start. Her audio performance exceeded my expectations

Allarion fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 27, 2016

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I have high hopes for this show.

I have high hopes for You.

Dr. Cuddles
Jul 18, 2010
whens the rhythm game i can spend money on like an idiot

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Dr. Cuddles posted:

School Idol Festival's Japanese version was recently announced to be getting Aqours stories. There are already some cards, but there will also be Aqours cards coming out alongside Muse cards and stuff like that.
Feel free to ask rhythm game questions in the thread linked at the bottom of the OP!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dr. Cuddles posted:

English IOS
English Android

Japanese IOS
Japanese Android

A couple of Aqours songs are already available

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Riko is very cute but seems boring. Mari and Dia seem good. I am excited to love more lives.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've been watching the original love live, and it's been very good. i hope that this new love live will be very good also

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Going by just the descriptions Riko may be my new Umi.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I guess I should get around to watching the Love Live movie before July 2nd.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zettace posted:

I guess I should get around to watching the Love Live movie before July 2nd.

You should.

I've very good.

I paid to see it 5 times in a theater.

Then I paid to have the movie.

Then I watched the movie a buncha times.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Going by just the descriptions Riko may be my new Umi.

I'm sure you will sympathize with her since all the other girls like to mess with her

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

I'm sure you will sympathize with her since all the other girls like to mess with her

Ah, yes, the Bullied!Zep meme.

It's a true meme.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Predictably, the original videos posted here got taken down. So here are some cool guitar covers for the sub-units that won't be taken down. Just for the sake of anyone browsing the front page for the first time.

CYaRon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPCGJQnpSJs

Azelea
(I'll find one eventually)

Guilty Kiss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2sfWNtzDzo

Trihugger fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 10, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What I'm getting from those is that Guilty Kiss is by far the best.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Motto posted:

What I'm getting from those is that Guilty Kiss is by far the best.

You're goddamn right.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'd forgotten that this thread already existed. I'll direct Aqours fanart and musings here.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I've been listening to/watching the audio dramas! They're good!

Mari is easily the best Aqours girl, but Dia is also great. She's mad at everything, she's short-tempered and impatient as heck, but she has this thin veneer of ojou-sama over it all. It's such a shallow facade, though. She's a lot of fun. Kanan was a bit dull in the dramas, but nothing too bad. Easily the weakest link of the otherwise stellar third years.

Chika's alright, though the genki leader type doesn't do much for me. I like her more than honkers, at least, and I dig her low voice, when she uses it. You seemed good from the promo stuff I'd seen, but she didn't bring much to the dramas, and remains potential. Riko had a better showing than I expected; she makes a good tsukkomi/bully target. Both of these latter second years seem like they'll have better showings in visual media, as they seem very expressive in the promo material I've seen.

The first years are disappointing. Ruby is boring shy girl; Hanamaru is also boring shy girl. Ruby has a potentially interesting relationship with her sister, but it's fairly one-dimensional so far; Maru has "zura." Yeah. Yohane/Yoshiko seems good, though, as long as they don't overplay her gimmick. I like her vocal range, from low-pitched serious to high-pitched outraged.

That's my hot take on the Aqours girls! I'm hype for Sunshine, and I think a month or is about what I can manage for pre-airing hype, so this is well-timed.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Vote 5. This will be a good thread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What are the good ships going to be?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sakurazuka posted:

all ships are good ships, friend

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
All of them except Ruby and Dia because DON'T SHIP THE SISTERS

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Groundfloor.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

all ships are good ships, friend

It's true

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Mari×Dia seems very good to me. High energy boke Mari has crazy ideas, and wannabe-tsukkomi Dia gets angry about it all but ends up swept along anyway. I expect fun, crackling dialogue between these two. Really, any boke character×Dia has potential, but Mari seems most likely to give an entertaining show about it all, because Mari is the best.

Yoshiko×Riko (see the reversal above) or Mari×Riko both seem like they could be a thing. Their subunit's thing seems to be bullying Riko,

and that lends itself very easily to shipping. Also, Riko is super cute.

Chika×anyone will probably also work, much like honkers×anyone, just because the main girl interacts the most with pretty much anyone. I'm in favor or the the Chika×Kanan childhood friend ship, personally.

Hanamaru×Ruby will probably slot nicely into the "they're really good friends and oh-so-pure" RinPana-style ship, which is fine by me because that gets them out of the way of more interesting ships.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Yoshiko×Riko (see the reversal above) or Mari×Riko both seem like they could be a thing. Their subunit's thing seems to be bullying Riko,

I don't know. In the Drama CD it really seemed to be Mari bullying Yohane.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
X <-bad X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X

I think I've repeated much of Allarion's post, but that's OK.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know. In the Drama CD it really seemed to be Mari bullying Yohane.

also good
X

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
PV RELEASED

https://youtu.be/Sbz9EeyUOIs

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

!!!

It's good. Dia fits the stern student council president role much better than Eli (tho' I do wish the role weren't being recycled). Mari seems to have an accent rather than just throwing in random engrish? Maru still has no character other than "zura"...

HYPE

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

!!!

It's good. Dia fits the stern student council president role much better than Eli (tho' I do wish the role weren't being recycled). Mari seems to have an accent rather than just throwing in random engrish? Maru still has no character other than "zura"...

HYPE

Maru made Dia go crazy in the Azalea CD and investigated Aliens with her. So that's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
X