Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's Sharks at Pens! San Jose and Pittsburgh! Crosby versus Thornton! Kessel versus Simmons! One team will win! The other will lose! It'll happen again next year but probably with different teams! It's the Stanley Cup Finals!

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/736037217525768193?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Habibi posted:

HIRE DEBOER!
HIRE DEBOER!
HIRE DEBOER!
HIREDEBOER!
HIREDEBOER!
HIIRDEOER!
HIODEOR!
HODOR!
HODOR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
The Pittsburgh Penguins are going to win the Stanley Cup.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Penguins in 7.

More specifically, Murray gets hurt late in a Game 4 win that puts the Penguins up 3-1, MAF is shaky in a Game 5 loss and then gets blown out and chased in Game 6, and then Jeff Zatkoff puts up a glorious 39 save shutout in Game 7 and Phil Kessel scores with 52 seconds left in the third period to win the Cup. Then when Pierre waddles up to interview Kessel while Kessel is holding the Conn Smythe Trophy and Pierre asks him how it feels, Kessel's only intelligible response is "HOT DOG!" before he breaks down in a maniacal blend of laughter and weeping.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Diabetes in 48.

Go Sharks.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Go Sharks, and also Phil Kessel

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
everyone look at how good my bracket is. i'm clearly some sort of wizard. 100th percentile baby. I feel like theres no way these guys combine for only 31 goals, though even if someone gets swept.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
This is going to be a great Finals and I'm good friends with a long-suffering Sharks fan, so I'm at peace with whatever result. But go Pens.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

This is probably the clearest case of good vs. evil in a SCF that I can remember.

Go Sharks. I hope one day the Capitals can be like you and overcome their postseason demons and make the Finals.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
This morning, in corporate tweets that were quickly deleted.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

After a night of sleeping on it Ive come to the realization that the Pens are just on too much of a roll right now and are probably going to sweep the Sharks and Pens fans will return to "Worst fans in sports" status for years to come and the NHL/NBC are never going to shut the gently caress up about Pittsburgh for another God drat decade and plaster Crosby all over everything NHL yet again.

:smith:

As meaningless as it is Go Sharks anyway

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Go Sharks. If you lose, you're out of the family. By which I mean the Western Conference. We win Stanley Cups here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

More Western teams miss the playoffs than win the Cup. Every single year.

Makes you think.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the san jose sharks will save hockey

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

ALFbrot posted:

This is going to be a great Finals and I'm good friends with a long-suffering Sharks fan, so I'm at peace with whatever result. But go Pens.
We're alike, you and I.

Except that whole Pirates thing.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

I'm still in disbelief that the Penguins were in 12th in the east at one point this season and made it to the SCF. I too know a bunch of long suffering Sharks fans so even if the Pens don't pull out a series win I'm going to be happy for them. Also Paul Martin who's a good dude.

But still Pens in 6.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mind_Taker posted:

This is probably the clearest case of good vs. evil in a SCF that I can remember.

Go Sharks. I hope one day the Capitals can be like you and overcome their postseason demons and make the Finals.

I have no idea how this is going to go, I just know GO THE SHARKS, but if the Pens win, fair play to them, they've been really drat good and will have earned it in making the best out of their "bad situation".

Detroit/Pittsburgh I and II felt like good vs. evil, though that's maybe because people only had had like a year of good Pens hockey to hate them at that point and them beating the Wings (the Evil) felt like an upset. What's weird for me is, unlike times where I've wanted one (the Kings, both on general principle and gently caress Jeff Carter) or even both teams to lose for varying reasons (LAK/NYR) in the Final, I really don't mind the Pens team itself and would be fine with them winning....

Furnaceface posted:

...and Pens fans will return to "Worst fans in sports" status for years to come

...I just can't ever remember a situation in which I've wanted a fan base to lose.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 27, 2016

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

The Pittsburgh Philip Kessels will be presented with a Stanley Cup full of hot dogs in seven games or less.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It is a wonderful thing for hockey that the Cup will be contested by two teams who both play aggressive, exciting hockey and don't engage in thuggery or ultra-turtling as a central strategy. It's a good direction for the sport to go.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is it a thing to throw hot dogs on the ice when Kessel scores?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Kessel vs. Reimer. My heart can't handle it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Please win San Jose

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It is a wonderful thing for hockey that the Cup will be contested by two teams who both play aggressive, exciting hockey and don't engage in thuggery or ultra-turtling as a central strategy. It's a good direction for the sport to go.
Eh, let's be fair. We do have Kris Letang.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Trevor Daley is from Toronto. If Pittsburgh wins he should invite Phil to his day.

I feel like Phil doesn't have much to do when hockey isn't going on, and just sits around at home hoping people will invite him to stuff.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Go Sharks!

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

Abner Assington posted:

Eh, let's be fair. We do have Kris Letang.

I have trouble lumping Letang in with what people consider "hockey thugs." The dude is a hot-headed idiot sometimes but he's generally not a dirty player.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Penguins and everyone who supports them are usually thundering assholes so go Sharks

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Neitherman posted:

I have trouble lumping Letang in with what people consider "hockey thugs." The dude is a hot-headed idiot sometimes but he's generally not a dirty player.

letang is definitely dirty, you can't go into psychotic breaks mid-game more than 3 times a year and still be considered clean unfortunately. i've seen that dead-eyed killer stare of tanger's a good 40 games this season

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Can the Sharks win and then award a ring to Kessel? Because that's the best scenario.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Trevor Daley is from Toronto. If Pittsburgh wins he should invite Phil to his day.

I feel like Phil doesn't have much to do when hockey isn't going on, and just sits around at home hoping people will invite him to stuff.

Now I just have this image of Phil watching TV and glancing at his phone every 30 seconds hoping he gets a text or call from someone, anyone. His phone starts playing an Eye of the Tiger ringtone as Daley's smiling mug appears on the screen. He excitedly answers the phone and exclaims "I don't even know what to say I'm so excited!" :unsmith:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

AsInHowe posted:

This morning, in corporate tweets that were quickly deleted.

Was the person screenshotting this using Windows XP? Christ.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean Letang isn't a Dirty Player in the same way Matt Cooke is a Dirty Player. Letang doesn't go out there necessarily planning to severely injure people and prowling around the ice looking for an opportunity to kill someone. Letang is just fueled by never-ending white-hot rage. It's not an "in cold blood" thing.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

SCF?
Yes please

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean Letang isn't a Dirty Player in the same way Matt Cooke is a Dirty Player. Letang doesn't go out there necessarily planning to severely injure people and prowling around the ice looking for an opportunity to kill someone. Letang is just fueled by never-ending white-hot rage. It's not an "in cold blood" thing.

i remember a time when he wasn't like this, but they just kept pushing him and pushing him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiY-q6Wafgg

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I'm pretty sure the reason the Sharks finally got to the finals is because they stopped wearing the third black jerseys in the playoffs.

Go Thornton, Pavelski, Marleau, Hertl, Vlassic, Chewie, Jones, & Reimer.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I suspect the Sharks fanbase is capable of going from quietly ignored to obnoxious once they have some Cup success in the same way that the Kings' did, because they are from California.

But they deserve the benefit of the doubt. Go Sharks

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

There's 2 kinds of dirty players: The traditional Goon who is usually actually looking to hurt someone, and the Lennie who either does it by accident or has an anger problem.

There's also the subspecies of honorable goon, who is usually surprisingly clean but then tries to murder Brooks Orpik.

There's also also the subspecies of Malkin, but I just mean that he's probably not 100% Homo Sapien Sapien.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

CBJSprague24 posted:

...I just can't ever remember a situation in which I've wanted a fan base to lose.

You should check out the Eastern side of Massachusetts, for a start.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I love Brent Burns for many reasons and will be tremendously happy for him if he wins the Cup and I want to see him fill it full of toys on his Day with it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Flyinglemur posted:

You should check out the Eastern side of Massachusetts, for a start.

That's the ocean, dummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

FBS posted:

I suspect the Sharks fanbase is capable of going from quietly ignored to obnoxious once they have some Cup success in the same way that the Kings' did, because they are from California.

But they deserve the benefit of the doubt. Go Sharks

I figure people will begin to realize that 1) the Sharks are a drat dirty team and Thornton/Pavelski and Marleau dive with the best of them 2) Joe Thornton's act wears pretty thin when you begin to realize he's a petulant man child and not a goofy stoner type that people decided he is and 3) man are their fans annoying.

• Locked thread