Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Spiders are very useful animals. The can kill flies and mosquitos in your house. I would like to have a spider in my appartement that kills these pests for me, so I don't have to chase after them myself.

Any advice how to get a spider to settle in my appartement?

And since threads do better with pictures, here is a pic of a spider (not mine):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
KILL IT WITH FIRE :ohdear:

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Totes adorbes

UdayHusseinFan91
May 28, 2016
get a bag of huntsmen at the spider store

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

I know that they sell insects at the pet store, but I don't need a whole bag. Just one.

I live at the second floor but my balcony door is open lots of times. I hope eventually a spider will find its way into my appartement.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
You can buy pretty much any kind of spider you want on the internet. They mail the spider to you in a bottle stuffed with cotton. Just open it and release your new 8 legged friend to run free in your house. You'll never know where he is and maybe sometimes at night you will feel him scamper across your face :3:

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
you ever watch a spider unboxing? poo poo is wiiiiild
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=99gAtzVRut0

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Iron Prince posted:

you ever watch a spider unboxing? poo poo is wiiiiild
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=99gAtzVRut0

I went through a phase where I watched a bunch of these. *shivers*

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Ya they are fine. It's super goony to let your place be so much of a pit that insects and arachnids flourish but ultimately it really only requires very moderate amounts of filth.

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely
Who was that goon whose apartment became infested with brown recluse spiders? He had to stay there for a few weeks until he could move out, and he posted a thread full of pictures of them on his towels and clothes and stuff.

I lost track, but I wonder sometimes if they finally got him.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Spiders are great. I had this bad boy in my house for a while.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Pour a cup of spiders into my rear end with a giant funnel, op.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
House centipedes are literally harmless to people and they eat spiders and other insects.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Everyone always says "Oh spiders eat all the insects you don't want around" but every time I see a spider it's not eating bugs, it's just hanging out on the ceiling over my bed freaking me out.

And forget house centipedes gently caress them they can go straight to hell.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

spiders are my little friends

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

theres a tiny red spider on the table outside and i dont know what it is but when i have a smoke i watch it charging around the table top. i thought about takeing a photograph but the table is jkind of dirty and people would be like lol clean youre table goon and id have to say that its a share house and i dont give a gently caress about the outside table and im not cleaning it and it would detract from the point which is that its a tiny red spider and i dont know what it is. i suppose i could search for it on the internet but id probably get distracted

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

lonesomedwarf posted:

theres a tiny red spider on the table outside and i dont know what it is but when i have a smoke i watch it charging around the table top. i thought about takeing a photograph but the table is jkind of dirty and people would be like lol clean youre table goon and id have to say that its a share house and i dont give a gently caress about the outside table and im not cleaning it and it would detract from the point which is that its a tiny red spider and i dont know what it is. i suppose i could search for it on the internet but id probably get distracted

Dirty table with spider on top is on par for this thread.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

whatever happened to Reginald

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Leave a lot of spider food out to attract them, OP.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Dirty table with spider on top is on par for this thread.

its too dark now and im too fat maybe tomorrow or maybe the day after that. unless i forgewt

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

JiveHonky posted:

You can buy pretty much any kind of spider you want on the internet. They mail the spider to you in a bottle stuffed with cotton. Just open it and release your new 8 legged friend to run free in your house. You'll never know where he is and maybe sometimes at night you will feel him scamper across your face :3:

watch out i got my wife the same way

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

He's cool, just lurking...

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
There used to be a v cute black and white jumping spider that would hang out on the plants in my office. Haven't seen the little bugger in about a week though, maybe the cleaning ladies got him :ohdear:

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Spiders = nope

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Spiders are docile little helpers that keep the house clean, much like a Roomba.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
There are frequently spiders in my shower. Wtf, spiders. I try to avoid killing them, generally.

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

Spiders are generally cool but mothergently caress a camel cricket.

red_dirt
Apr 26, 2014

by Shine
Twice now I've caught pregnant cat-faced orb weavers and put them in a terrarium in the fall. They die after they lay their eggs unfortunately. The plan has been to put the terrarium outside in the spring so the spiderlings will hatch and disperse into my yard. Twice now cold-snaps have caused me to bring the container back inside briefly, and caused hundreds of spiderlings to disperse into my house. In theory this is ok, but in practice I find tiny perfect little orbs everywhere and I don't want to disturb them. Also, orb weavers don't seem to do well inside.

If you want indoor spiders you'll probably have to settle for the lovely generic house spiders and their messy loving webs, and the occasional black widow.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I think I got bit by a brown recluse. So far it isn't so bad and it's been five days. Apparently most of the time a brown recluse bite isn't no big deal.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Nooner posted:

KILL IT WITH FIRE :ohdear:

Nooner is back. Hey Nooner, how was your forced forums break?

Oh, and, for you: :grin:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
My old place in San Diego had black widows everywhere on the patio furniture and garage and shed. We'd use a map gas torch to burn their egg sacks but there were thousands. Funny thing is I never got bit by one nor did I ever here of anyone who did. Also they never came inside despite my lovely hovel having a million ways to do so. :shrug:

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf
Expect an envelope of brown recluses later this week op. You're welcome.

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf
Question: when mailing spiders, do you use one stamp per spider? Or will one step cover as many spiders you can fit in the envelope?

And before you ask, I already looked at the USPS FAQ.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

King of Bees posted:

My old place in San Diego had black widows everywhere on the patio furniture and garage and shed. We'd use a map gas torch to burn their egg sacks but there were thousands. Funny thing is I never got bit by one nor did I ever here of anyone who did. Also they never came inside despite my lovely hovel having a million ways to do so. :shrug:

Despite the "meme" that spiders are vicious child killers 99% of the time you could live with a deadly spider for years and never even know. They arn'aren't really known for setting up webs that are commonly traversed by people, and even if you do stumble in on one the odds of them biting you are very low to... almost seems like someone in the government is trying to persuade us that all spiders are deadly when they arn't..... OBAMA IS A FLY!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
tbh spiders are so good at dealing with houseflies and annoying poo poo like that that there's two spiders living in my house and im okay with it

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Germstore posted:

I think I got bit by a brown recluse. So far it isn't so bad and it's been five days. Apparently most of the time a brown recluse bite isn't no big deal.

theres a spider that looks like a brown recluse and when you get bit by a spider youre not thinking oh id better lcheck out this spider youre thinking o gently caress spider get it off so it might have jus been a lookalike

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Robo Reagan posted:

theres a spider that looks like a brown recluse and when you get bit by a spider youre not thinking oh id better lcheck out this spider youre thinking o gently caress spider get it off so it might have jus been a lookalike

I didn't even see whatever it was. The bite's really weird and the description of brown recluse bites was the closest. It hasn't become necrotic and hopefully it won't because it's on my hand, but apparently 9 out of 10 times the bites don't become necrotic. The pictures you see online where it's a gaping wound are worst case scenarios.

e: it has bruised either but based on what I've read it doesn't always bruise either. It kind of sounds like the bruising is a precursor to it becoming necrotic.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
you should probably amputate just to be safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i dont believe in spiders op

• Locked thread