Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Y'know when we had clamshell phones you could snap 'em shut and drop 'em on the ground in the parking lot and they wouldn't get all hosed up and cracked and require $100 to fix, they'd just hit the ground and not lose any functionality at all.

Then again, the touchscreen works fine even with a million cracks so I guess maybe this is better after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Look at this dumbshit that doesn't use a case. I drop my iphone all the loving time and I dont have a crack or chip on it

Aug 4, 2010

lol check out this guy with an iphone what an idiot

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

My Note 5 has a glass front, a glass back, and a thin aluminum frame. It looks and feels nice, but it seems fragile as gently caress.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

maybe take better care of your poo poo, retard

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

perhaps try not being a butterfingers

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
My moto e cost 30 dollars because I could not give a poo poo less about my phone.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
i have a bespoke steampunk phone mostly made out of cogs and steam. have had issues keeping the coal furnace lit, but no problems with durability.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's because they want you to have to buy a new phone instead of paying to repair the phone you broke. They don't want you to just keep the same phone for 10 years like you could with those flip phones.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My phone never breaks because I don't have one. I just shout whatever I'm thinking.
My IRL Twitter account (me) has a dozen followers (police).

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Why don't they just make the outer phone casing out of the same poo poo they use to make Otter Boxes?

You don't buy a car and then have go out and shop for bumpers and air bags for it afterwards.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

Johnny Aztec posted:

Look at this dumbshit that doesn't use a case. I drop my iphone all the loving time and I dont have a crack or chip on it

i handed over £40 for the official apple leather case when i got my new iphone and the first time i dropped it the damned thing got a crack on the corner of the screen.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

vug posted:

the official apple leather case
there's the problem

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

vug posted:

i handed over £40 for the official apple leather case when i got my new iphone and the first time i dropped it the damned thing got a crack on the corner of the screen.

That's because you paid for something from Apple, and you got somethng leather. Like loving leather is gonna absorb impact.
I got this case called Ballastic or something. It's got these rubber corners. Fucker will bounce twice.
You gotta think about the kind of material you use. An Otterbox sucks poo poo because it's stiff and rigid. It's not going to absorb poo poo.

My old iphone 4 had this full rubber Belkin case. It was even better. I bet I coulda dropped that thing down a stair well and it would have been fine.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I remember my old resistive touch phones being really sturdy even though they were smart phones. This is going back to the days of the HTC Touch Pro 2 when Windows Mobile was actually a popular smartphone OS.

I believe the only phone to recently come out with having a plastic screen is the Droid Turbo 2. My friend has it because he's a klutz and honestly I can't tell that it's a plastic screen. Seems like a good option, OP.

My smartphone concern is that no one makes sub-5" screens any more.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I keep a few flip phones just in case

Risky
May 18, 2003

You can always tell a stupid ditsy bitch if she pulls out her phone and she still uses it even though 90% of the screen is shattered
because she sat down with it in her back pocket oblivious to a hulking piece of metal and glass that was there.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
once had a phone and it was a gas

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
The conspiracy is that there is such a thing as shatter proof glass and tempered glass that's pretty hard to break. Then, a few years ago they started fusing the glass to the LCD which makes it extremely difficult and expensive to replace. You can't even remove the battery in most phones but it takes seconds to buy a new phone and transfer your contacts.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I hate when poop falls out of my butt and hits the ground and breaks

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Risky posted:

You can always tell a stupid ditsy bitch if she pulls out her phone and she still uses it even though 90% of the screen is shattered
because she sat down with it in her back pocket oblivious to a hulking piece of metal and glass that was there.

I would legit refuse to date someone who did that.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I hate when poop falls out of my butt and hits the ground and breaks

Buy a bigger butt plug.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Risky posted:

I make it a point to hit on girls who have cracked screen because it means they make bad choices and have a better chance of sleeping with me.

Also, get a Droid Turbo 2 because they are durable as hell.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Sometimes I can go through a whole day convincing myself that I'm actually a kinda cool type of guy and everything's going alright, nothing manages to pierce my bubble of self-deception but then I walk out of work and start scrolling through my phone to desperately find something to listen to instead of the world and I see a reflection of my big stupid face in the screen because the sun's out and everything comes rushing back in. So yeah I kinda agree

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

Look at this dumbshit that drops his phone all the loving time. He has to put an ugly bulky case on something that millions were spent figuring out how to make small and sleek :lol:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Seizure Robot posted:

Look at this dumbshit that drops his phone all the loving time. He has to put an ugly bulky case on something that millions were spent figuring out how to make small and sleek :lol:
Look at the sky.

It's a beautiful day.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
I turned down my screen brightness so battery last longer.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I shitpost on a rotary phone

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

Look at the sky.

It's a beautiful day.

Why would I do that when I can look at pictures of a more beautiful day in a more beautiful place on my phone without having to go outside :confused:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
dropping the old plastic nokia and moto phones looked scary they'd break apart into pieces but then you could always put them back together :D

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
My Galaxy is glass on the front and back and the sides and I've dropped that motherfucker like every day for a year and it didn't have a scratch on it. I think it's really transparent aluminum.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really hate that your posts smell like rear end

wit
Jul 26, 2011
The roman catholic church frowns on case usage, but it just feels better without them. In other news, I'm a big mad spazzy alcoholic who spends half his life shitface drunk and I've never had an issue with phones other than sending horrible cringy drunk messages to people. For some reason I see more women than men with smashed up phones, I'm assuming given that we have the same amount of digits its a weird pocket based issue. Although in my small town we do have one guy who breaks his phone so much his name actually turned into a verb for loving up your phone.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

ChrisHansen posted:

I shitpost on a rotary phone

1-800-382-5968

wit
Jul 26, 2011

thathonkey posted:

dropping the old plastic nokia and moto phones looked scary they'd break apart into pieces but then you could always put them back together :D

The old old Nokia's doubled as a bludgeoning instrument so I'd be more concerned for what they dropped on.

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

someone should invent a rubber phone for clumsy people, like there's a jitterbug for old people. they could call it the Chucklefuck or something

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
Most of the contractors I use (oil industry) have an Iphone to get emails on, and that lives in their van. They nearly always have an old Nokia which they use to make calls on, or to throw at people, angry dogs, gypsies, and their own wives. Seems to work well for them.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I drop my note 4 literally every day, drat thing still holding strong.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

remember when phones had buttons for the numbers? whoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
has anyone else literally never broken their phone? and kind of looks down on all the people who have broken it like a ton of times or currently have a phone that is broken?

• Locked thread