Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

So I flew from Ohio to Columbia, South Carolina today to pick up a 2005 Escalade. 95k miles, loaded with everything except rear seat entertainment. 7k miles on some high-mileage Michelins, new brakes, frequent oil changes, but other than that, it doesn't seem to have seen a lot of maintenance. It was a sight-unseen buy, seller sent some pictures, that was it. There was a long, involved, multi-week story to it, but that's neither here nor there.

I flew down, landed in a tropical storm, "inspected" the truck in said tropical storm and drove back to Ohio. A very long day.

It's got the LQ9 / 6.0l high-compression motor, which has been fed nothing but crap gas. :barf: A couple tanks of premium and several key cycles and it's easy to feel the timing being added back into the map. And, for a 5k pound truck, this thing will MOVE. I have to decide how much I'm going to do to it, bit from what I've read, long tube headers really open these up.

Several things wrong --

a) It is filthy, inside and out. I cannot understand how people live with such filth. Easy to take care of, though.

b) Right front had a vehicle strike and it scratched/gouged the bumper and plastic. Detail fill/paint/recovery in order.

c) No navigation disc. I'll look into unconventional replacement options there.

d) Key fobs are inoperative. Seller said that they needed new batteries. New batteries did nothing. Going through the key fob reprogramming instructions did nothing. I may order some new fobs to try before digging further.

e) TPMS inop. I don't really care, other than the nag screen startup. May look into it, may not.

Then, it's like I started with the Envoy... full maintenance. All fluids, remove tires, rotate, clean, properly torque, polish headlights, poo poo... polish everything. Sunroof needs lube, interior needs nuked. All the stuff that I love doing.

If I'm somewhat ambitious, I'll do some before/after stuffs.

Edit: Oh yeah, those fake vents on the side come off tomorrow. They don't look bad, but they're autozone crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Long tube headers... and a cam :getin:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Maybe a cam down the road, I'll get the external bolt ons sorted first.

This one probably isn't going up like the Envoy, it's probably going to stay as-is as far as height, but I can see sway bar upgrades in its future.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

meatpimp posted:

d) Key fobs are inoperative. Seller said that they needed new batteries. New batteries did nothing. Going through the key fob reprogramming instructions did nothing. I may order some new fobs to try before digging further.

If they're the standard GM key for, the solder joints on the battery holder like to break and stop working.

Either way, replacement fobs are cheap, and that's not new enough to require the dealer TechII tool to program new fobs like my wife's car.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Are those the stock wheels? They look out of place for some reason.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks pretty clean from the outside :v:

So did you stay in your budget? If so looks like a drat good find.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Who was it that turned their Escalade into a pretty slick ride by blacking out all the chrome?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

oRenj9 posted:

Who was it that turned their Escalade into a pretty slick ride by blacking out all the chrome?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766816&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This is going to be one of those meatpimp threads that make me feel bad about not power-polishing every car I own huh?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Both this thread and that one are making me seriously consider an Escalade for a people mover.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

rdb posted:

Are those the stock wheels? They look out of place for some reason.

Stock. GM's Regular Production Option (RPO) Code of QS7, which included skid plates and, in this truck, is part of the Code WSD "Collector's Edition," which literally adds only a chrome grille and black upper dashboard to the QS7 code. GM is weird.

I like the look, it's not the 17" seven spoke that's on most Escalades, but not ridiculously blingy like a lot of the aftermarket chromes.

leica posted:

So did you stay in your budget? If so looks like a drat good find.

$11k, plus $227 for a one-way ticket. From looking for almost a month solid, it was by far the best buy I've seen. Cleaning it up and bringing it North adds value. Once I get it clean up here, it's a $14k truck.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This is going to be one of those meatpimp threads that make me feel bad about not power-polishing every car I own huh?

I sure hope so.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

$11k, plus $227 for a one-way ticket. From looking for almost a month solid, it was by far the best buy I've seen. Cleaning it up and bringing it North adds value. Once I get it clean up here, it's a $14k truck.

Yep, I got almost twice the value for a Florida 4x4 XJ I took up to New York. Of course that was after all the hate email I got because how dare I ask more than the local market selling prices! I'll NEVER get that much for an XJ!.... I sold it in less than two weeks :v:

But yeah great find, it's totally worth flying down to get a rust free car, these days the internet makes it easy.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

And what are you going to do with it?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fuelslt1 posted:

And what are you going to do with it?

I already said... sways and power. Certainly no lift.

I was thinking of naming this thread "Re-Escaladed," btw. :D

(I'll give you my address. send me your stock wheels, I need them for Winter.)

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 30, 2016

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

meatpimp posted:

I already said... sways and power. Certainly no lift.

I was thinking of naming this thread "Re-Escaladed," btw. :D

(I'll give you my address. send me your stock wheels, I need them for Winter.)

You know I had to give you are hard time.

Make sure to post what long tubes you end up running...I don't think anyone makes them for us with a matching Y-pipe that connects to the stock cat back location.

Mine will forever be cooler than yours.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

We'll agree to disagree, but the irony is that I need to buy the Cadillac emblems that you removed because mine are faded. :smith:

Seriously, though, this motor stock is _just_ enough to make it hustle, and even handle a little bit. I'd have to think taller tires would sap too much of the snap without some serious bolt-ons to compensate. You wouldn't want to drag me. :D

Edit: Your color hides the retarded lines of the windows. It's one thing that's really bugged me about these cars. If you look at the side of mine, the rear door window lines do not agree with ANYTHING that the rear side window is doing.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 30, 2016

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Edit: Your color hides the retarded lines of the windows. It's one thing that's really bugged me about these cars. If you look at the side of mine, the rear door window lines do not agree with ANYTHING that the rear side window is doing.

I just noticed how Groverhouse the GM800 SUVs look from the side. :aaa:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Previa_fun posted:

I just noticed how Groverhouse the GM800 SUVs look from the side. :aaa:

It really is bad once you notice it.

A lot of work on the truck yesterday. Wheels came off and got cleaned inside (barrels) and all. I'm glad I didn't have any problems on the road, because the lugs were absolutely tighter than reasonable. My JhnnyThndrs IR rattle gun with 120psi just sat on some of the lugs. No way in hell I would have been able to change those on the roadside.

It is amazing what a couple minor changes make. With the tires aired up to 40psi all around (from 35/35/35/30), and the wheels properly centered and torqued to the 140ftlb spec, it is much more smooth, and it was pretty good to start. That makes me happy.

I cannot find the issue with the keyless remote/TPMS systems, though. In googling, looks like '07+ has had issues with both components together, so I'm still thinking there may be a common failure (a control module maybe?), but I'm still digging to find the answer. Going through the standard reset procedures for both systems yields absolutely no result.

The body is in really good shape. I got the obnoxious stick-on fender vents off, most of it clayed, Ultimate Compounded and sealed. I found that the side cladding on the driver's side front and rear door has been replaced, but no metal paintwork that I can find yet, so that's great. Zero corrosion, which is such a loving treat in Ohio.

More cleaning today and getting a list of fluids for maintenance. The power steering fluid was low and there were a couple drops underneath it, so that's something I'll have to track down.

Quick pic in the sun when I pulled it out yesterday:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 31, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I remember learning the tricks to folding down back seats in GM SUVs in the early 2000's when I was working as a lot loader at Lowe's. These ladies wanted to load some closet organization stuff into their truck but couldn't figure out how to put the back seat down. I said "Oh, just pull this lever here and the seat folds right down, all suburbans are like that" They looked at me, deeply offended, and informed me it was an Escalade.

Welp, thanks for reading my story :kiddo:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'd almost consider using some vinyl to reshape how the windows look from the outside so they flow together properly. This may or may not be the automotive detailing sperg version of putting a cross upside down in a jar of piss, I don't know.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BloodBag posted:

They looked at me, deeply offended, and informed me it was an Escalade.

Hahaha, that's actually pretty loving funny.

meatpimp, what kind of mileage are you seeing on this? I'm assuming this is a lot more fun now than when gas was four bucks a gallon?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

bolind posted:

meatpimp, what kind of mileage are you seeing on this? I'm assuming this is a lot more fun now than when gas was four bucks a gallon?

I got almost 18mpg over 540 miles on Sunday. All freeway, but through the West Virginia mountains, fresh from a maintenance-neglecting owner. That's less than 2 mpg below the Envoy with its puny 4.2l 6 cylinder and full maintenance (Envoy did just under 18mpg on the freeway when I first got it.)

On that front, I put in a $130 order from Amazon just for Differential, Transfer Case and Power Steering fluids. The monster rear end takes 5 quarts of gear oil itself. :drat:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Seconding cam (you probably also need to move to a torque converter with a higher stall speed with this) and headers. Also, the 4.2 getting that low of gas mileage is hilarious to me. The 5.3 in my avalanche managed to get ~26mpg over a 3k mile roadtrip that included me driving it like a gaping dickhole through the ozarks and doing 90 most of the time I was on a freeway. Still wish I had a 6.0 though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

So I'm cleaning it, because that's what I do. I ordered some Dr. Colorchip to work on some of the scratches/nicks. But the inside... oh, the inside.

I don't know how people can be such loving pigs. I have kids, I understand they make messes. I don't drink coffee, but I understand that it can spill, especially in a vehicle. But god drat, that poo poo cleans up... so why don't people clean it the gently caress up?

The carpet was soaked in coffee and kid stuff. It cleaned up well, looks like it should now, but again, god drat.

Then, the center console. It has a number of nooks and crevices. They were all filled with grunge. It took a cleaning with Simple Green just to find out what I then needed to clean with Simple Green. As I was doing that, I found that the door that covers the cupholders is apparently a portal to a black hole. This is what I found inside when I partially disassembled the console:

Let's see... there's some change, a hair band, some garbage, a page with Olive Garden coupons that expired in 2011, a Mercedes dealership business card with a bunch of numbers on it, probably payments (in the $650-750 range... drat people are stupid). There was also a business card to The Wicker Barn and a fast-food receipt. My favorite, though, was the un-cashed $1784 check from 2005. Oh yeah, there was also a razor blade. Good thing my tetanus shots are up to date, because I was digging blind in there. :o:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
looks good, lot of truck for the money. keep us updated!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I realize the check is old and you have no relation to the account holder, but you should probably censor the account and routing #s. My bank account information hasn't changed in 25 years and I know a lot of people in the same boat.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Magnus Praeda posted:

I realize the check is old and you have no relation to the account holder, but you should probably censor the account and routing #s. My bank account information hasn't changed in 25 years and I know a lot of people in the same boat.

Good point, edited.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Grats on the purchase! Yours is quite a bit nicer than mine. Of course I paid like half of what you did, mine has closer to 190k on it, and is was a gigantic pit of deferred maintenance. But I got a sweet pinstripe, and found almost $5 whole dollars when I took my center console out :smugdog: There was also a rotten half of a chocolate bar, and a big blob of what looked like kids rubber glitter paint cemented into the rear carpet :barf: And an actual hole in the tailgate, which I put a sticker over because :effort: And the driver's door was (is) kind of falling off, the front fogs were broken, and, and, and
Behold:

Does your cupholder cover latch? If not, it's probably because the clip fell off and went in the console somewhere because someone pulled it up without depressing it first. Most people are able to fish out the clip and reattach it to fix, although a few unlucky people found the clip broken.
The spare tire elevator is a gigantic piece of poo poo design, and is pretty much guaranteed to be rusted shut. Check yours out, unstick it, lube it, etc in your driveway, rather than finding this out on the side of the road when you need it.
That haze in the top of the headlights is just that - inside. There are ways to clean it out, but I haven't bothered yet.
Does your park assist system work? I think the park assist sensors are NLA, but don't quote me on that. I was able to buy a new one a few years ago, but last I heard they were becoming scarce. It's pretty simple to troubleshoot and fix it...it lights up its own set of diag codes through the 3 front facing lights on the pass side D pillar. There are tutorials floating around on how to read it and put it into service mode.
The Stabilitrak / Ride Control system will drive you batshit. The front connectors are the most heinously designed pieces of poo poo I"ve ever seen.
The nav discs are...available :filez: but I'll leave it at that.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
now that yall mentioned that completely out of place rear window its all i see and there are like a million escalades on the road here

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Black88GTA posted:

Grats on the purchase! Yours is quite a bit nicer than mine. Of course I paid like half of what you did, mine has closer to 190k on it, and is was a gigantic pit of deferred maintenance. But I got a sweet pinstripe, and found almost $5 whole dollars when I took my center console out :smugdog: There was also a rotten half of a chocolate bar, and a big blob of what looked like kids rubber glitter paint cemented into the rear carpet :barf: And an actual hole in the tailgate, which I put a sticker over because :effort: And the driver's door was (is) kind of falling off, the front fogs were broken, and, and, and

Nice! Escalade owners coming out of the woodwork around here. After driving this one for a couple days, it definitely has AI possibilities. Huge, hustles, and is a bit silly.

quote:

Does your cupholder cover latch? If not, it's probably because the clip fell off and went in the console somewhere because someone pulled it up without depressing it first. Most people are able to fish out the clip and reattach it to fix, although a few unlucky people found the clip broken.
The spare tire elevator is a gigantic piece of poo poo design, and is pretty much guaranteed to be rusted shut. Check yours out, unstick it, lube it, etc in your driveway, rather than finding this out on the side of the road when you need it.
All the covers on the console work, spare tire hasn't been tested yet, but there is not a smidgen of corrosion on the car, so I'll make sure to drop it to test, but I'm betting it'll be fine.

quote:

That haze in the top of the headlights is just that - inside. There are ways to clean it out, but I haven't bothered yet.
Does your park assist system work? I think the park assist sensors are NLA, but don't quote me on that. I was able to buy a new one a few years ago, but last I heard they were becoming scarce. It's pretty simple to troubleshoot and fix it...it lights up its own set of diag codes through the 3 front facing lights on the pass side D pillar. There are tutorials floating around on how to read it and put it into service mode.
I haven't tried to clean the headlights yet, but it looks like they all do -- hazed at the top. That'll be later on in my cleaning/detailing/maintenance process.

The park assist system... works? I haven't paid a lot of attention to it, but it did beep when I turned the car on and walked close to the bumper. I haven't heard it in normal use yet, but I don't know if I've been close enough to anything to trigger it.

quote:

The Stabilitrak / Ride Control system will drive you batshit. The front connectors are the most heinously designed pieces of poo poo I"ve ever seen.
The nav discs are...available :filez: but I'll leave it at that.
Ride control seems to be okay at the moment, no codes or other nonsense. Nav disc is on the list, but I'm trying to decide if I want to put a new head unit in, either the 4.4.4 Android that I took out of the Envoy or a newer 5.1 Android.

If you want to get rid of the stripe, there's a magic rubber disc that you can put on a drill/grinder and it'll take the stripe right off without killing the clearcoat underneath.

For those of you that have Escalades (or any GM car or one of several other brands), run your VIN through compnine.com, it costs a couple bucks, but gives you an instant list of all the RPO codes your car/truck came with. It was invaluable in cutting through the bullshit of sellers as I was looking for this one. And this one was by far the most loaded one I looked at.

go3 posted:

now that yall mentioned that completely out of place rear window its all i see and there are like a million escalades on the road here

It's really bad once you notice it.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Black88GTA posted:

Haha, oh god. My Dad was driving the family 2003 Suburban on a roadtrip from VT to SC, and near family in PA, had to hit the brakes hard, which promptly blew the rusted brake line. He managed to avoid any incident, and limped it to my Grandmother's place and had it towed to a shop.

They had to replace ALL of the line, since the lovely brine Vermont uses wrecked it all. And they couldn't get the spare tire down, so they routed that brake line under it, rather than over. :wtc:

After the road trip, he took it to a place in VT, and I'm fairly sure they got it off via torch.

The part that confused the hell out of me from all of this, if he managed to dodge a school bus (it cut him off) in a Suburban with no brakes, why was he nervous about the BMW driving school!

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

meatpimp posted:

The park assist system... works? I haven't paid a lot of attention to it, but it did beep when I turned the car on and walked close to the bumper. I haven't heard it in normal use yet, but I don't know if I've been close enough to anything to trigger it.
When mine wasn't working right, IIRC both outer lights would illuminate, with the center one dark. I think that's how it indicates there's something wrong with it. So it did stuff, but didn't actually work right. It only works when you're in reverse, and will start to indicate within 5(?) feet of something.

quote:

For those of you that have Escalades (or any GM car or one of several other brands), run your VIN through compnine.com, it costs a couple bucks, but gives you an instant list of all the RPO codes your car/truck came with. It was invaluable in cutting through the bullshit of sellers as I was looking for this one. And this one was by far the most loaded one I looked at.

There's also a label in the glove box with all of the RPO codes in it, and a number of free online decoders. I would have liked to have been able to see what's what before I bought it though.

Alarbus posted:

Haha, oh god. My Dad was driving the family 2003 Suburban on a roadtrip from VT to SC, and near family in PA, had to hit the brakes hard, which promptly blew the rusted brake line. He managed to avoid any incident, and limped it to my Grandmother's place and had it towed to a shop.

They had to replace ALL of the line, since the lovely brine Vermont uses wrecked it all. And they couldn't get the spare tire down, so they routed that brake line under it, rather than over. :wtc:

After the road trip, he took it to a place in VT, and I'm fairly sure they got it off via torch.

:doh: How did I forget about this? I even had a dashcam running when my line popped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve6gqfIWq_A

I'm lucky that 18 wheeler moved left to take the entrance to the expressway, otherwise I'd have either been up the rear end of the SUV in front of me, or in his wheels. Plot twist - while the hardlines were horribly corroded, and had been patched multiple times, it was one of the flex lines connected to the MC that actually blew out.

e: In case this wasn't apparent, this wasn't a fluke thing - GMT400 / 800 series trucks are notorious for premature failure in brake lines, it's very common. Go over every inch of your brake lines, (especially the bundle behind the driver's side front wheel) even if the rest of the truck looks good. Chances are, you're fine (since this truck came from a no-salt area) but it only takes a few minutes to get a quick visual.

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 1, 2016

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Black88GTA posted:

e: In case this wasn't apparent, this wasn't a fluke thing - GMT400 / 800 series trucks are notorious for premature failure in brake lines, it's very common. Go over every inch of your brake lines, (especially the bundle behind the driver's side front wheel) even if the rest of the truck looks good. Chances are, you're fine (since this truck came from a no-salt area) but it only takes a few minutes to get a quick visual.

No recalls or anything on this? Subaru had one on the legacy (I owned an 08 GT) a few years ago about rusting lines. That's downright scary.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ssjonizuka posted:

No recalls or anything on this? Subaru had one on the legacy (I owned an 08 GT) a few years ago about rusting lines. That's downright scary.

I think GM went to court and successfully argued that the hard brake lines are a normal wear item. Another reason I was looking for a southern car.

Edit: Yep - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-09/gm-avoids-recall-of-2-million-trucks-for-corroded-brake-lines

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 1, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That brings up another thing... fluidfilm this boat before it rots to hell and back. Make sure to get the brake lines and all other known problem areas.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

meatpimp posted:

I think GM went to court and successfully argued that the hard brake lines are a normal wear item. Another reason I was looking for a southern car.

Edit: Yep - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-09/gm-avoids-recall-of-2-million-trucks-for-corroded-brake-lines

That's amazing. Subaru just threw some wax on the hardlines and called it good. Basically what kastein is saying.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

That brings up another thing... fluidfilm this boat before it rots to hell and back. Make sure to get the brake lines and all other known problem areas.

Definitely on the list. This is the best time, too. Nice, dry weather. I'll get the undercarriage cleaned up and buy a 3-pack of fluid film spray, then go to town on it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What is this fluid film you speak of? From the sounds of it I probably wouldn't even need it down here.

It's crazy that car manufacturers can't use stainless steel on something as important as brake lines, you would think that kind of poo poo would be mandated but no, penny pinching is more important than people getting killed yay 'murica.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

What is this fluid film you speak of? From the sounds of it I probably wouldn't even need it down here.

It's crazy that car manufacturers can't use stainless steel on something as important as brake lines, you would think that kind of poo poo would be mandated but no, penny pinching is more important than people getting killed yay 'murica.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-Spray-AEROSOL-CAN/dp/B001OKBFBS/191-9249014-2322130?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Yeah, saying hard brake lines are a wear item is bullshit. GM cost cutting... like just now, I went to take out the cabin air filters to change them... only to find out that GM stopped putting cabin air filters in Escalades after 2002.

You guys had me paranoid about the brake lines, so I got under to check them. I'm pretty comfortable now. :D

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I think my favorite is how Subaru puts plastic armor over them to prevent rust, but has to remove it at the ends so the flare nuts will fit right, and therefore water wicks under the plastic and eats the exposed ends right by the flare nuts anyways. And how Chrysler puts steel wire coiled around the lines to protect them from gravel, but all it really does is act as a very effective saltwater trap that again rots the steel pipe.

Stainless is kinda expensive and annoying to work with, but they could just use cunifer like Volvo has since the 70s (and I use for all my line replacements now) and never have a brake line rot again.

Copper and nickel are expensive though so :lol: no chance of that!

• Locked thread