Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Kibayasu posted:

Boy, I may not remember a lot about this game, but I sure do remember the plague.

Yeah, but does it wear off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I like how by the time Argate was done fussing around Leechmonger was already about 3/4 dead :allears:

This LP has made me think about picking up Demon's Souls. I had a friend who was way into it when it came out but I'd never owned a PS3 until relatively recently..

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Garrand posted:

I like how by the time Argate was done fussing around Leechmonger was already about 3/4 dead :allears:

This LP has made me think about picking up Demon's Souls. I had a friend who was way into it when it came out but I'd never owned a PS3 until relatively recently..

It's not a bad game to pick up! If you're used to later games, it'll feel a little janky, but it's not awful! You can get it for like 20bux, which is why I got it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It was probably just the pre-release gameplay video that I watched that let me know that Dragon God was a stealth boss but at least you got through it.

Also World Tendency was a really weird idea that seemed great in theory but cut you off from a lot of cool stuff if you didn't have it full one way or the other so I'm happy they dropped it in the future.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I enjoy this LP. Just want you to know there are some quieter folks who are glad you're doing this even if they're not chatty about it.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
It is good, the lp

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

armoredgorilla posted:

I enjoy this LP. Just want you to know there are some quieter folks who are glad you're doing this even if they're not chatty about it.
:yeah:

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Any LP where you can ask "does the plague wear off?" is a good LP :unsmith:

(also gently caress the dragon god)

e: You can gain White World Tendency while in soul form. When I first played I looked into it and found out the easiest way to get Pure White World Tendency was just to kill yourself in the Nexus after every boss and just 100% the game in soul form.

World Tendency is dumb and thank god it was dropped for Dark Souls on.

(Watching "Let's Duck", I dunno how far ahead the LP is from the videos)

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 9, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

TYhe audo on ep 25 loops weirdly. And then desynchs.

I miss story time :(

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 9, 2016

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

armoredgorilla posted:

Been following this for a while as well. Thanks for the LP, it seems too clunky/frustrating with some of its mechanics that I would ever want to play it myself even though I like the other Souls games.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Veloxyll posted:

I miss story time :(

I do kinda feel bad about this one. Uh, so we didn't get tired of the gimmick or anything. This was 100% poor planning on my end. When we did it, I had assumed it was only for the initial stream we did on Halloween, but then for subsequent sessions Argate told me to pull open the food industry horror stories thread again. For the Halloween stream, I didn't bother going to the beginning of the thread or anything; I had instead just started reading from where I had personally last left off. Story time just came to an end when I got to the end of the thread, and seemingly nobody had any more stories to post. We've also finished all recording, as you'll see in the OP. As far as I can recall, story time did not resume.

Reason why I feel so bad about it in particular is because when Icetongue posted, we were basically right at the point where stories stopped :v:

Er, as far as the audio on 25 goes, got any specific timestamps you can reference or anything? Sounds fine to me so far.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
LIQUIIIIIIIIIIIID!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Can confirm that I'm one of the idiots who pissed off a Nexus NPC by putting my controller down. Luckily it was just one of the magic merchants and I wasn't a magic character.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

liquidypoo posted:

I do kinda feel bad about this one. Uh, so we didn't get tired of the gimmick or anything. This was 100% poor planning on my end. When we did it, I had assumed it was only for the initial stream we did on Halloween, but then for subsequent sessions Argate told me to pull open the food industry horror stories thread again. For the Halloween stream, I didn't bother going to the beginning of the thread or anything; I had instead just started reading from where I had personally last left off. Story time just came to an end when I got to the end of the thread, and seemingly nobody had any more stories to post. We've also finished all recording, as you'll see in the OP. As far as I can recall, story time did not resume.

Reason why I feel so bad about it in particular is because when Icetongue posted, we were basically right at the point where stories stopped :v:

Er, as far as the audio on 25 goes, got any specific timestamps you can reference or anything? Sounds fine to me so far.

whoops. I meant 26. THat would explain why 25 sounds fine.

weirdly on a refresh it is fine. Youtube hyjinks, I guess.

Icetongue
Jun 22, 2015

liquidypoo posted:

Reason why I feel so bad about it in particular is because when Icetongue posted, we were basically right at the point where stories stopped :v

Don't worry about it. I am sure there will be more opportunities for videos and story time in the future.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Veloxyll posted:

whoops. I meant 26. THat would explain why 25 sounds fine.

weirdly on a refresh it is fine. Youtube hyjinks, I guess.
I've also had this happen on some of the videos, can't remember if it happened with other vids or if it's specifically Argate's. At some point like 10 minutes in, suddenly the audio started playing from the beginning again, even though the video continued as normal. Took a few refreshes to fix, happened with more than one video.

I had another glitch recently where a video was just a gray square, audio normal (not from Argate). loving strange. Could only watch on Chrome, not Firefox. The latter seems to be getting worse and worse as time goes on, unless the next update fixes things big time I'm seriously considering switching. Though if you are not using Firefox, then I don't know if the problems lie elsewhere ;).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I haven't seen any weird audio things in any of the uploaded videos, but who knows with streaming video. Funnily enough though, sometimes Premiere would have a weird time trying to handle the audio for any given stream recording, so it would do weird things like think the last 5 minutes of audio are the first 5 minutes. That almost made me silence the Tower Knight video, but thankfully Audacity let me pull out the audio directly from the recording and thankfully Premiere didn't throw a hissy fit at that.

Also, thank you guys for all of the kind words, it makes doing LPs worth the effort! I'm sorry if episodes come late, sometimes I have a lot on my plate and don't have the time to put up an episode, but I'm going to try and keep to a better schedule from now on.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I almost called this episode "Crossbow Jesus" but then the boss happened in this chunk.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

On the topic of souls -> levels scaling, every game in the series except DS2 used the same chart. I'm guessing the exception stemmed from DS2 having nine attributes and starting characters at lower attribute values.

That said, I wonder why they kept to quite the same formula. While DS1 also had eight attributes (including the effectively useless Resistance), soul gains in that were a marked increase from DeS. BB shaved things down to a mere six attributes, but to be fair it tweaked the softcaps upward to 50 and turned down the aggregated souls gained just a bit from DS1. DS3 went back to nine attributes and increased several of the softcaps to 60 without really compensating, so...yay tradition?

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

On the topic of souls -> levels scaling, every game in the series except DS2 used the same chart. I'm guessing the exception stemmed from DS2 having nine attributes and starting characters at lower attribute values.

That said, I wonder why they kept to quite the same formula. While DS1 also had eight attributes (including the effectively useless Resistance), soul gains in that were a marked increase from DeS. BB shaved things down to a mere six attributes, but to be fair it tweaked the softcaps upward to 50 and turned down the aggregated souls gained just a bit from DS1. DS3 went back to nine attributes and increased several of the softcaps to 60 without really compensating, so...yay tradition?

Dark Souls actually started with significantly lower souls payouts for most enemies/bosses, including some enemies not giving them at all, presumably to encourage co-op. That didn't really work, for reasons (co-op being a little busted at start, for one thing), so they patched it, and ended up overcompensating. Dark Souls 3 feels more like it gets soul payouts where they probably should've been in the first place.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

ChaosArgate posted:

Also, thank you guys for all of the kind words, it makes doing LPs worth the effort! I'm sorry if episodes come late, sometimes I have a lot on my plate and don't have the time to put up an episode, but I'm going to try and keep to a better schedule from now on.
I haven't quite caught up with this particular thread yet,, but I will say your LPs are consistently very good and I really enjoyed MGS3 in particular. Don't worry too much about the schedule, sometimes poo poo happens and we understand that. (At least I hope we do, considering how erratic my own LP update schedule tends to be :v:)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Fun fact: this is what discussion with Argate looks like on Discord

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

If you're curious, yes, Liquidy is the Update-Demon's-Souls alarm.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Huh, I do not remember that much of a difficulty, or I guess damage, spike after the arch demon door.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Sorry I'm late! My computer had a spontaneous failure last night, so I spent last night re-installing Windows and my programs! The LP's been fully edited at this point and pre-uploaded ahead of time though, so I don't have to worry about losing anything for this LP. I keep all of my important stuff on Dropbox too, to be doubly sure.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Probably the least memorable boss of the whole Souls series right there. Lots of others are just as uninteresting to fight but at least they have a more interesting design to them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

There were some odd technical issues towards the end of this session, but they weren't that debillitating overall.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The Storm Ruler sword is a favorite for PvP, because even without the sky-rending attack, its knockback is amazing. You just have to watch the durability. And never return to the Storm Ruler's Archstone unless you want to die quickly. It's a short, much safer hike from the Old Hero's Archstone.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I was so very disappointed when I brought Storm Ruler outside the boss zone expecting to bring down the pain only to have it turn into a mostly regular sword.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

This marks the start of when I started using Elgato's stream stuff so I could record a super high quality local recording of the stream so I guess this is about when the thread started?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That can't be Yurt, he isn't silent at all!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Oh boy, this fight. :kheldragar: It is entirely too easy to lose track of them and have their pounce knock you off the side of the bridge.

That was a very good performance, but yeah, back in the day that boss was hell.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Moonlightstone is used to add magic damage to a weapon much like in later Souls games. Darkmoonstone also adds magic damage, but removes all but Magic scaling from the affected weapon, and also adds an MP regeneration effect. There's a Moon Shortsword in Maneater's arena if you want to check out the weapon type without making a +6 or whatever weapon and upgrading that. I still stick with the Crescent Falchion for most of the game, and still sort of want to make a "How to Beat Demon's Souls with No Skill Whatsoever" series that ends with picking it up.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shame? about not getting the player boss at Old Monk, that was one of the times Demon's Souls PvP system actually interested me. Even if I had to go offline eventually because I'm bad at PvP. Never did try to be the invader myself so I hope you got to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
The Old Monk is the only thing that I remember about my buddy beating this game in college. The very idea for the boss was amazing and then you would get hosed up by some guy who was much better than us both at PVP,

• Locked thread