Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

One of the most recent statues installed is a guitar player sitting on the ledge of a fountain. The other statue is of two girls taking a selfie with City Hall in the background.

"Both show activities common in the plaza," according to a press release.

People on social media are criticizing the city for the selfie statue.

"When you just wanna mess around with taxpayers' money.....," Marshall Parrott tweeted.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/c...tm_content=link

So would you have a selfie statue in your town? You could take a selfie with it and be meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
If that phone is a separate casting and just screwed on then someone should take it out and replace it with a gun.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I fail to see where people are losing their minds. I came for the eye gouging.

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

I don't see a problem, there are my statues erected to memorialize tragedies.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Public art is the cost society pays to keep artists from resorting to crime to fund their heroin addictions. I'm ok with it.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln
Detroit won't erect a Robocop statue, but that loving thing exists? smdh

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

ProfessorMurder posted:

Detroit won't erect a Robocop statue, but that loving thing exists? smdh

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

That's awesome, but it should be silver. That statue makes him look too much like C-3PO.

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

iirc it remains unfinished cause the mayor forbid it from being put on display

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
Hot drat! A statue I can totally relate to. I prefer the Selfie Stick™, tbh, so 7/10.

The Robocop statue is p. dope too, yo.

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

Serviette posted:

The Robocop statue is p. dope too, yo.

I believe the community raised 10k for it, kinda like how Philly has the Rocky statue at the museum, but the mayor said he wouldn't put up a statue reminding people of a film the portrays Detroit as a poo poo hole

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD

Ayeka posted:

I believe the community raised 10k for it, kinda like how Philly has the Rocky statue at the museum, but the mayor said he wouldn't put up a statue reminding people of a film the portrays Detroit as a poo poo hole

Lol, so much for acknowledging reality.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ayeka posted:

I don't see a problem, there are my statues erected to memorialize tragedies.

:golfclap:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

It's hosed up that loving Metropolis, Illinois gets to have a Superman statue but Detroit can't have a RoboCop statue. Like yeah, you're definitely the one true hometown of Superman, Place with a Population of 6,465. Get me a trampoline and I could leap Metropolis, Illinois's tallest building in a single bound. Don't need to be faster than a speeding bullet in Metropolis, Illinois, because it's a scrub-tier city with an embarrassing lack of gun crime. Shameful.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
On the topic of shitholes:

quote:

Protestors in the Ukrainian capital of Kiev replace Lenin's statue with golden toilet

From here.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

hanging out at city hall with my girls! (eggplant emoji) #civicduty #localgovt #neighborhoodwatch

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
Perhaps we can get a gilded toilet for GBS town square?

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

use all the machines, that's how you get big. eat a lot that gives you mass. just use everything.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I like how they're even doing that weird crouch thing, nice attention to detail.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
and yet we rejected memorializing other generationally topical touchstones such as the pog statue and the wheres the beef lady statue

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

who fuckin cares

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

MrDru posted:

who fuckin cares

i care deeply

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

ElectricSheep posted:

and yet we rejected memorializing other generationally topical touchstones such as the pog statue and the wheres the beef lady statue

I have an idea for a Kool-Aid Guy statue that would be built to look like it was bursting through the walls of Town Hall in Hastings, Nebraska.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

MrDru posted:

who fuckin cares

about the selfie statue thing or the RoboCop statue thing

one is trivial bullshit one is an extremely important issue

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

I have an idea for a Kool-Aid Guy statue that would be built to look like it was bursting through the walls of Town Hall in Hastings, Nebraska.

I love that idea. There should also be a statue of Captain Kirk in Riverside, Iowa.

e: wait, maybe there is a Kirk statue already. If not, there should be

ProfessorMurder fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 30, 2016

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Cnut the Great posted:

about the selfie statue thing or the RoboCop statue thing

one is trivial bullshit one is an extremely important issue

selfie

robocop statue owns. i'd go as far to say that.............i'd buy that for a dolar

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I just looked it up. Riverside has a plaque, but no statue.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

they should make it a bigger statue

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

what, no duckface?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Lime Tonics posted:

One of the most recent statues installed is a guitar player sitting on the ledge of a fountain. The other statue is of two girls taking a selfie with City Hall in the background.

"Both show activities common in the plaza," according to a press release.

People on social media are criticizing the city for the selfie statue.

"When you just wanna mess around with taxpayers' money.....," Marshall Parrott tweeted.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/c...tm_content=link

So would you have a selfie statue in your town? You could take a selfie with it and be meta.

That statue is amazing; all that is missing are retarded uggs and one hand to hold the caramel macciato.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

MrDru posted:

selfie

robocop statue owns. i'd go as far to say that.............i'd buy that for a dolar

You down with OCP? yeah, you know me

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

if i had statue commissioning money, i would choose some old meme, so maybe future people would think it was our god. get tay zonday looking majestic in a wyoming park.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

if i had statue commissioning money, i would choose some old meme, so maybe future people would think it was our god. get tay zonday looking majestic in a wyoming park.

Why not a bronzed 1:1 scale Goatman statue? Maybe go trippy with proportions so he shows the butthole on both sides with no upper torso.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i lust for nuclear fire death

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

Chinatown posted:

i lust for nuclear fire death

70 some years too late friend

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
maybe if your poo poo city wasn't so boring the townspeople would have more to do besides faceswap in front of city hall.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Why not a bronzed 1:1 scale Goatman statue? Maybe go trippy with proportions so he shows the butthole on both sides with no upper torso.

Why settle for only 1:1?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I want 50 of them all over my state because it'll drive Republicans more nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Ayeka posted:

70 some years too late friend

It is never too late to yearn for the searing embrace of a miniature sun.

• Locked thread